HP support horror & being the PC tech friend

easedel

HP Support Horror:

A buddy of mine, had trouble with his computer about 5 months ago ( jan ) , asked me to take a look at it.

Was a shitty HP slimline, graphics were messing up, told him he needs a new motherboard or a vid card ( had onboard vid ).

After a few nights of sitting up ( 3am type nights ) trying to fix it... i did more research, found out HP had an extended warranty on his model. The GPU on it had a habit of basically dying. He told me HP wanted to charge him just to talk to him. HP wasn't going to fix it though. That is until I figured out he had an extended warranty package ( some customer care package shit ).

So after a few days and hours on the phone & emails with HP I got them to fix it for free.

Great, no problem. HP just had to send a box ( coffin ) to the house & I would send it back. Problem. They sent it to his address. No biggie, I told them I was the tech working on it as he was in the process of moving. Understandable mistake. Got the coffin, was shipped, sent back, fixed. Buddy gave my $40

Around the end of Feb, same thing happened. So i went back to work with HP, dealing with them in emails and everything. Now they were giving me a hard time about it. I basically had to start over and explain everything ( the extended warranty on the model, his customer care package thing ). So they agree to fix it ( they should in the first place, repairs get a 90 day warranty standard ). Now this is where the fun comes in. For the next MONTH, they failed to ship the box ( coffin ) to the correct address...4 times.

So during the month of march pretty much, the box to return the computer in was shipped to my buddies old address 3 times. This is after they originally sent it there the first time & after I INCLUDED the correct shipping address in each email contact I had with them ( around 50 some emails ).

Fun isn't over. They finally got the shipping address correct and sent it out. Week and a half goes by and they call to ask when I was going to ship back the computer. Problem, never recieved it. They did some research, found out they never shipped it to begin with. So this is a months downtime because of shipping problems on their end. Now I am pissed. I tell them my client is pissed. He uses that computer to DJ from and that is profit he has been losing. After some back and forth ( i moved to phone convos now ) I had a case manager ( yes i was giving a case manager ) tell me he would compensate my client for the trouble along with fixing the computer. I asked for 3rd party video card ( makes sense since this model motherboard has a bad GPU to begin with ), said he couldnt do that. So i asked for a windows 7 key. Said he could do that when they had a shipment of keys sent in 2 months.

I agree. Box finally comes, I ship it off, it comes back. Working. Buddy gave me $40 ( i think he did, not sure actually )

Around may buddy calls. Same problem. Graphics. Says computer is shutting down around 15 minutes of use, artifacting, etc..thats graphics. I call up & complain. Asked to speak to my case manager. Now I am told I have a new case manager....doesn't make sense. I tell him what has happened in the past 5 months & I along with my client were beyond aggravated. I tell him I want a instant replacement along with the windows 7 key that the old case manager said. He then tells me he has no idea why he said that, because they ( case managers ) & HP have no authority to even do that if they could.

I go back and forth with this guy for 2 days. Explain I know policies when it comes to RMAs on computers. Usually its three RMAs on the same item and you get an instant replacement.

Now I am just pissed. I tell him to send the box out and hang up. I wait a few days, call him back and go back into it. I tell him, I deal with companies, I am members of large tech sites and in a large media market...they would love to know how HPs support really is, blah blah blah. About 20 minutes into the phone call the case manager tells me, if the computer fails again, he will put in a REQUEST for a replacement but it is not a definite yes. I remember our past convo and call him out basically. Told him, " wait, you told me before there was no way you could give replacements at all, that HP doesnt do that, etc. But now all a sudden you can? So you basically lied to me in our last phone call?".

Shit went silent for a minute. Was put on hold. He came back, had the box shipped out right there then gave me a yes, he would replace it if it failed again.

Well computer came back. I had it running for 3 hours to stress test it. Bamn, it happens. PC locks up, artifacting happens. Fuckers. I call him up, tell him what is going on and he is like, are you sure? So i read him the temps on the computer that was just idling. 70 degrees C. Now on a normal computer idling, you want betweein 20-35 C. Under full load, you shouldn't go past 60-70 C. I kept him on the phone, i put bejewelled on ( came with HP as part of the HP games package ). Temps were hitting 110-120 C...right then the guy was like ok hold on.

He comes back and bamn, has a read out of the specs of the replacement. It was...meh to say the least. I am asking for detailed specs on this too and he is like you are the tech working on this right? Don't know why he asked, he knew i was. I tell him yea and he says I can't give you this then. Puts me on hold and comes back. Reads spec off a newer replacement.

I had to email some crap to him. Blah blah blah. Few days ago it arrives. He went from HP Slimline s3100n to HP Pavilion p6340f

PC Tech Friend sucks ass:

Now how happy would you have been? You went from possibly trashing your computer and going out and spending 600-1000 on a new desktop, to getting a new desktop for free.

What did I get out of this? 2 months of aggravation dealing with HP support on phone calls & emails. Few nights sitting up trying to figure out how to fix his PC at first. $40 back when I got them to originally look at it. ( don't think i got anything the 2nd time )...and now after actually getting him this new computer....another $40....

I am not too happy.

I just spent 5 moths dealing with HP support, saved your ass $600-1000 buy not buying another shit computer & I got that in return. Considering my other buddy been telling him for a few years ( this isn't his first time with PC trouble ) to just have me actually build him his PC. He more then likely would have bought another POS that I would have been working on in 6 months.

/end rant

surprised you could even understand or talk to hp support -- but yea pretty rough to go through all that but hey what are friends for

actually they were mexican/spanish

well its not like we talk on the phone all the time, guy didnt even invite me to his wedding cause of limited seating but had 200+ people and friends from our fantasy football league.

so yea, now if it was my best bud, no problem, thats expected. only time i talk to him though is when he needs computer help or i see him out for darts if i go out.

hell i would have been happen with $100 bucks ya know. fixing computers is what i do & having trouble finding work...yea, not too happy

wow I would have made him do it after I diagnosed it to be a motherboard problem. I work at the tech place at my college and when my friends find out I work there (HAY CHRISTIAN HEARD U WERE GUD W/ COMPUTERS WAN2 FIX MAI LAPTOP) i'm always the guy to fix my friends shit. motherboard problem = gtfo

and wow glad I dont have any problems like that with my new hp

Will never buy HP anything because of all the bloatware their equipment/computers/software come with. Its amazing how a computer can run with all of their crap on it to the point it rivals some malware.

This just another story of the constant crap HP attempts to put on its customers.

You get what you pay for when it comes to computers, except Macs. Don't need a "my first computer".

Being the tech support friend sucks. I've been there. I haven't done tech support for about a year and I still get friends calling me to fix their shit.

My wife has bought, consecutively, 3 HP laptops; they are all pieces of shit. I told her no more HP for you (and then said, "get back in the kitchen you whore")

*i didn't really say the kitchen part*