As if I needed more reasons to love/respect the UFC/MMA Community

B0st0nh00ligan

I am currently living out at Tiger Muay Thai in Phuket, Thailand. For those who have ever considered a trip to Thailand to learn Muay Thai, I highly recommend it, awesome experience. That is not the purpose of my post though. About a week ago, the community here found out that one of our trainer's baby girl needed a liver replacement. The entire procedure (surgery and post-op) had a bill of about 1.5 million baht (about 50,000 USD). This is a large bill which would bankrupt just about anyone, even in affluent countries, never mind a Muay Thai trainer from Thailand. So what happened? The community here, a large rag-tag group of misfits from all over the globe came together with parties and training all for the cause of Tup Tim, the little girl. It all culminated in tonight, at the monthly BBQ Beatdown thrown by the camp. This party normally includes food/beer/countless Muay Thai fights and MMA fights. This time something different was added, an auction of goods and services. In addition to numerous private sessions auctioned off by some of the elite coaches out here, Roger Huerta, you know, THE ROGER HUERTA, personally made a trip out here (he is a frequent guest as is), to offer a private lesson as well as autograph gloves/shirts for the auction. In all, we as a relatively small community came up short paying for the bills, as 1.5 million baht really is a lot of money. Not to worry though. Dana White, you may have heard of him, if by some stroke of freak luck you've been living under a rock while being an MMA fan, he's the president of the UFC personally contacted the camp to inform them that he, personally, will cover the expenses of this girl's surgery. Wow. Not only does Dana White and the UFC go out of his way to support many charities, as well as the United States military (I was a proud spectator in the second row at the first Fight for the Troops back in 2008, at Fort Bragg, just before deploying to Afghanistan), he goes out of his way to contact a gym in Thailand, silently, not making it into a news story, and gives money to save a little girls life. I just had to share this with everyone, because I am still dumbstruck by the awesome community which is the MMA community, as well as how great a man, Dana White is, as well as the organization he runs. Wow.

you ignorant shit head ^^^ read it or piss off .... fucking epic story .... i love MMA, all of it , from the fighters who put their whole lives into the sport to guys like dana who do stuff like this just cause they can help ..... WOW

50k is nothing to dana white , what a shame if he had decline it .

How could he have declined when he wasnt even asked as far as anyone knows? Also 50K is a lot of money for anyone. Dana dont make the amount of money people think he does. He owns 10% of the UFC. That means almost his entire worth is in assets not cash. He gets an annual salary from the UFC but it isnt huge maybe a million or so. Even so after taxes he would be lucky to clear 1 million. Most of which is raken up by his house, cars, wife, and kids. I wouldnt be so quick to down play his generosity.

You got your facts wrong. He was called out on The Underground asking to pay for the surgery, and he accepted. He was basically mobbed by fans demanding that he pay for it. None the less, I'm glad he did, but it wasn't because he just came across this girl and decided to pay up like many make it seem. But in the end, it's the child who should be the center of the story, not Dana White. Does anyone know if the surgery has happened yet and if the girl is OK?

EDIT: Here's the article for those who missed it: http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma.cfm?go...&gid=287788

How could he have declined when he wasnt even asked as far as anyone knows? Also 50K is a lot of money for anyone. Dana dont make the amount of money people think he does. He owns 10% of the UFC. That means almost his entire worth is in assets not cash. He gets an annual salary from the UFC but it isnt huge maybe a million or so. Even so after taxes he would be lucky to clear 1 million. Most of which is raken up by his house, cars, wife, and kids. I wouldnt be so quick to down play his generosity.

I remember reading about this about a week back. The chicks dad posted on a forum (I think The Underground) begging for the money (Which I can't blame him for doing, it's beg or his daughter dies), and Dana found out, and then boom.

Great to hear about.

I'll look for a link later.

Dana White's current net worth is $400m.

Not to take anything away from this story. That is awesome and very humble of him to not have it posted on the news. I am glad they did something like this.

And I hope all is well with that baby girl.

Dana White's current net worth is $400m.

Not to take anything away from this story. That is awesome and very humble of him to not have it posted on the news. I am glad they did something like this.

And I hope all is well with that baby girl.

Yes that is because the UFC is valued at over a billion dollars. But that isnt his cash. That money is useless until he sales his share of the company. He doesnt have that to live on. This girls surgery comes out of what he has to live on and it isnt 400 million. Its his annual Salary minus 40% taxes, mortgage, cars, family living expenses, and other donations he makes. If dana is only clearing 1 million after taxes like i assume he is then 50K isnt not as easy as people make it seem with the cost of his lifestyle.

Like a homeless person asking you for 5K. Most here could do it but it isnt going to be easy for anyone.

You got your facts wrong. He was called out on The Underground asking to pay for the surgery, and he accepted. He was basically mobbed by fans demanding that he pay for it. None the less, I'm glad he did, but it wasn't because he just came across this girl and decided to pay up like many make it seem. But in the end, it's the child who should be the center of the story, not Dana White. Does anyone know if the surgery has happened yet and if the girl is OK?

EDIT: Here's the article for those who missed it: http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma.cfm?go...&gid=287788

That wasnt my point. I knew this went down on the underground. My point was he still wasnt asked. People wanting Dana to do something on the net dont make him do it. As far as anyone knows Dana wanted to do it the moment he heard the story. He has to know the girl needs help before he can do anything. There is nothing to suggest Dana didnt want to help but was convinced to do so like you are claiming.

Clearly he found out about the girl when people asked him to help. So yes technically he may have been asked. But if he ewasnt asked he would have never known. So making him out to be the bad guy like some on here have is uncalled for.

That wasnt my point. I knew this went down on the underground. My point was he still wasnt asked. People wanting Dana to do something on the net dont make him do it. As far as anyone knows Dana wanted to do it the moment he heard the story. He has to know the girl needs help before he can do anything. There is nothing to suggest Dana didnt want to help but was convinced to do so like you are claiming.

Clearly he found out about the girl when people asked him to help. So yes technically he may have been asked. But if he ewasnt asked he would have never known. So making him out to be the bad guy like some on here have is uncalled for.

What do you mean that wasn't your point? I wasn't even talking to you, I was responding to the OP. Don't put words in my mouth, or anyones for that matter. I never said he didn't want to help, I just said the OP had his facts wrong and I corrected him. I wasn't taking anything away from Dana. I see no one calling Dana a bad guy here either.