Recalibrating skills and gyms

This is an idea that I've posted about a few times before, but always in the context of posting in other people's threads. Now I am posting my own thread in order to promote discussion of this concept.

There is a problem in the game. Right now private gyms are creating a class of superfighters that cannot be matched by people who only have access to public gyms. Yes, sliders and hiddens can make up a large amount, but in the end the training difference is just too much. This will have a negative long term effect on the game, where new users will be discouraged by their lack of access to similar training. We are also experiencing a problem as a result of this where there will eventually be a lot of fighters with multiple Sensational or Elite primaries. Private gyms also cause an economic issue - the incentives are all either to own a private gym, or to own an org so that you can afford a private gym. This creates a lopsided business environment.

One of the first solutions that people have looked at is simply nerfing training, by making training much less effective. There are two problems with this approach. The first is that there is a strong psychological motivation associated with seeing our fighters improve - we like seeing pops. If there are fewer pops, fewer people will continue playing the game because their motivation will be weaker. The second is that we would be crippling the next generation of fighters. In a world where John Farson exists, how can we tell people that they will never be able to fight him on an equal basis because training simply doesn't work that way any more?

I am proposing that rather than nerf training, we move in the opposite direction and empower it - but for a much larger group of users. Currently, those who use 1-on-1 training receiving benefits well above those who use the 3-on-1 training you might find in a good public gym. I am proposing that we equalize that. Make it so that a session with 3 people in it receives the same benefit as a session with 1 person in it does now. 4 person sessions would receive what 2 get now, and so on. This will instantaneously make private gyms obsolete, and they will be replaced with well organized gyms where many more people can receive top level training. Let's look at a theoretical gym.

4X MT/Box Coac

2X MT Coach

1X MT/Box/Wrestling Coach

1X Wrestling Coach

3X Wrestling/BJJ Coach

1X Circuit Trainer

This gym has 12 coaches and could teach every skill in the game. Let's assume that it is well run and has plenty of sparring, so at any given time half the fighters are sparring, and a couple are resting because they fought recently. That would put us at 8 fighters per coach, with 3 fighters sparring in each session, 3 working with the coach and getting maximum benefits and two resting. This gym has expenses of 53,500 per week and a revenue of 76,800 per week. This is an ideal situation, but it shows that if we made this switch the 1-on-1 gyms would not be necessary and they could be run as actual businesses rather than black holes of cash that are fed via laundry.

But this gives us a new problem. Suddenly we have a lot of people who are going to reach Sensational in lots of skills. Again, this isn't something we want to quash because it keeps people interested in the game. Instead, we should change learning and skills so that Elite is not the top level. If we create multiple pops beyond that (up to 200 or 250), suddenly those beasts aren't so beastly and we have new goals to strive towards. The other change would have to be smoothing the curve of learning. Currently it is easy to quickly reach Wonderful with 1-on-1 training, but even with great training the time between Sensational and Elite is very long, and it gets even longer between Elite and Elite++. That curve should be softened so that Exceptional is the new Remarkable and things don't get really slow until you hit the plateau in the new adjectives (New adjective suggestion: "Awesome"). This will let new players compete using the new gym system as well as making the new adjectives attainable at all.

Positive results of this change

• Many more players will have access to top level training
  • Private gyms will largely be unnecessary
  • The need to work together to create successful gyms will promote socialization
  • Laundering on the constant and grand scale of today will not be needed
  • Fighters who are hitting the skill plateaus will gain new goals
  • Pop frequency will be preserved

Negative results of this change

• Players with the resources and patience to grow tube-fed fighting prodigies will lose some of their edge, this will make those players unhappy. However, they are a much smaller fraction of the population than those currently without private gyms who would be helped by this change.

Those are the only negatives I can think of, while I think the positives would greatly aid the long term health of this game.

• Upvote 5

I agree with you. It's starting to turn into one of the average browser games. If you aren't rich when you start then you should give up because there is no way to catch up to the already developed player's.

It's a fun game im not going to give up especially because i payed for VIP but that is one thing I though was unfair about the game.

I agree. Hey Mike if you're reading this try and find a way to make that change it would be much more fair. If you cant change it for everyone then try just changing it for my fighters that would make the game wayy better if i had the best fighters :smile_anim:

JK

This is the change I feel the game is crying out for. Its been put out there before, but never combined and in such a well written post.

We need money sinks to go along with this, but fixing the gym system this way would be a massive help to the growth of this game. Having a small untouchable elite is one way to discourage new players. Money should count for a lot as well, but currently its almost the only thing that counts (with regards to training, not winning fights).

• Upvote 3

This is a brilliant idea. Closing the gap shouldn't give the "elite" sleepless nights, as they are much better with sliders anyways. Aren't you, "vets"? ;)

Honestly, I see no reason to not work on this. The current system is stunting growth and making training brainless and a chore. Bigger, more organized gyms won't run at huge losses, will be more accessible, and will churn out competitive fighters. I love it.

• Upvote 2

meh. i think the way training is it's fine, but sparring should be adjusted so that 1-on-1 sparring isn't as effective. daigle doesn't get multiple elite primaries from training with coaches, he gets it from 1-on-1 sparring with elite sparring partners.

(as an aside, farson ducked a fight against one of my ground fighters :P)

i guess i coulde see 2-on-1 coach training be as effective as 1-on-1, provided that both fighters aren't vastly different in the skill level of the related secondary. i.e. if you have a useless puncher and a sensational puncher both training with an elite punch coach, then they shouldn't both get as much of a pop from it as a remarkable puncher and a sensational puncher both training with an elite punch coach.

• Upvote 1

This is the change I feel the game is crying out for. Its been put out there before, but never combined and in such a well written post.

We need money sinks to go along with this, but fixing the gym system this way would be a massive help to the growth of this game. Having a small untouchable elite is one way to discourage new players. Money should count for a lot as well, but currently its almost the only thing that counts (with regards to training, not winning fights).

I agree with the post above, this is a good suggestion. However, the game needs more money sinks if your going to eliminate the effectiveness of 1 on 1 training or else money won't have nearly the same value in this game.

This is an idea that I've posted about a few times before, but always in the context of posting in other people's threads. Now I am posting my own thread in order to promote discussion of this concept.

There is a problem in the game. Right now private gyms are creating a class of superfighters that cannot be matched by people who only have access to public gyms. Yes, sliders and hiddens can make up a large amount, but in the end the training difference is just too much. This will have a negative long term effect on the game, where new users will be discouraged by their lack of access to similar training. We are also experiencing a problem as a result of this where there will eventually be a lot of fighters with multiple Sensational or Elite primaries. Private gyms also cause an economic issue - the incentives are all either to own a private gym, or to own an org so that you can afford a private gym. This creates a lopsided business environment.

One of the first solutions that people have looked at is simply nerfing training, by making training much less effective. There are two problems with this approach. The first is that there is a strong psychological motivation associated with seeing our fighters improve - we like seeing pops. If there are fewer pops, fewer people will continue playing the game because their motivation will be weaker. The second is that we would be crippling the next generation of fighters. In a world where John Farson exists, how can we tell people that they will never be able to fight him on an equal basis because training simply doesn't work that way any more?

I am proposing that rather than nerf training, we move in the opposite direction and empower it - but for a much larger group of users. Currently, those who use 1-on-1 training receiving benefits well above those who use the 3-on-1 training you might find in a good public gym. I am proposing that we equalize that. Make it so that a session with 3 people in it receives the same benefit as a session with 1 person in it does now. 4 person sessions would receive what 2 get now, and so on. This will instantaneously make private gyms obsolete, and they will be replaced with well organized gyms where many more people can receive top level training. Let's look at a theoretical gym.

4X MT/Box Coac

2X MT Coach

1X Wrestling Coach

3X Wrestling/BJJ Coach

1X Circuit Trainer

This gym has 12 coaches and could teach every skill in the game. Let's assume that it is well run and has plenty of sparring, so at any given time half the fighters are sparring, and a couple are resting because they fought recently. That would put us at 8 fighters per coach, with 3 fighters sparring in each session, 3 working with the coach and getting maximum benefits and two resting. This gym has expenses of 53,500 per week and a revenue of 76,800 per week. This is an ideal situation, but it shows that if we made this switch the 1-on-1 gyms would not be necessary and they could be run as actual businesses rather than black holes of cash that are fed via laundry.

But this gives us a new problem. Suddenly we have a lot of people who are going to reach Sensational in lots of skills. Again, this isn't something we want to quash because it keeps people interested in the game. Instead, we should change learning and skills so that Elite is not the top level. If we create multiple pops beyond that (up to 200 or 250), suddenly those beasts aren't so beastly and we have new goals to strive towards. The other change would have to be smoothing the curve of learning. Currently it is easy to quickly reach Wonderful with 1-on-1 training, but even with great training the time between Sensational and Elite is very long, and it gets even longer between Elite and Elite++. That curve should be softened so that Exceptional is the new Remarkable and things don't get really slow until you hit the plateau in the new adjectives (New adjective suggestion: "Awesome"). This will let new players compete using the new gym system as well as making the new adjectives attainable at all.

• The need to work together to create successful gyms will promote socialization

• Players with the resources and patience to grow tube-fed fighting prodigies will lose some of their edge, this will make those players unhappy. However, they are a much smaller fraction of the population than those currently without private gyms who would be helped by this change.

Those are the only negatives I can think of, while I think the positives would greatly aid the long term health of this game.

+ infinity.

This is a brilliant idea. Closing the gap shouldn't give the "elite" sleepless nights, as they are much better with sliders anyways. Aren't you, "vets"? ;)

Honestly, I see no reason to not work on this. The current system is stunting growth and making training brainless and a chore. Bigger, more organized gyms won't run at huge losses, will be more accessible, and will churn out competitive fighters. I love it.

Exactly what was in my head mannebabes,

Well now that i think about this it can go both ways. Put yourself in the managers who have been playing since the beginning. If I was playing for that long i would want a clear advantage over new players and i would want better training if i ligitimately earned it.

It does seem unfair though how some players have endless money and all the elite coaches/sparring partners but they played their cards right on the game to get there so you cant hate.

But something should be done to make money evenly spread but also more ways to spend i think the economy would get better

I think Mike already tweeked it once. I worry the effect it will have on the Tycoon side of things. After all, the entire point of making money is to the very best for your fighters.

Another consideration. private gyms is as much about sparring as class size. I know what partners I'm going to get in my alliance gyms.

And new players have some disadvantages, but they also have a lot of help guides and MUCH better money than we had. You can link up with folks in chat, learn the game, make friends and be very successful in a short period of time.

Not sure if the keys to the safe should be so easy

4X MT/Box Coac

2X MT Coach

1X Wrestling Coach

3X Wrestling/BJJ Coach

1X Circuit Trainer

I am a private gym owner (albeit only for about three real life weeks)and I don't have any problem with this and I appreciate the well thought out post.

I agree with almost everything. My only suggestion would be (and this is a quick off the cuff suggestion, so if its dumb I apologize), is instead of adding more levels of pops like Elite++ and super human or whatever why not have fighter skill levels decline with age? I dont just mean nerf their learning curve, but actually start going down (if this is currently in the game engine it doesnt seem to happen very fast anyways). Your suggestion is a great one, but while making it much easier for the newer guys to train on the same level it would still make it very difficult for them to catch the John Farsons of the world. With a declining skillset algorithm (maybe it could even be a new hidden) there would be a constant crop of newer greater fighter, up and coming manager, etc.

Not sure I made sense, but it's just a thought.

• Upvote 1

Good suggestions. About the money sinks, I think in real life there is a point where it doesn't help that you or your manager have more money, that won't make you any better at fighting. Maybe even opposite, some people fight for money, and when they already have shitloads of that, why fight anymore...

Some random ideas where money could be used in a way it doesn't actually affect the fighters skills:

Free agents could be distributed by auction, not by hype of the manager.

There could be some cool stuff which fighters and managers could buy (not from other managers as that would help). No idea what the could be, jet has been proposed earlier?

Managers could buy media time for their fighters, which would result more hype and/or popularity. This could possibly be linked with his skills and some hiddens, so better skilled fighters could get more boost, and maybe there could be random effect, sometimes there could be negative effect if the fighter says something idiotic in interview. :D

Well now that i think about this it can go both ways. Put yourself in the managers who have been playing since the beginning. If I was playing for that long i would want a clear advantage over new players and i would want better training if i ligitimately earned it.

I'm probably in the area of what would be considered an older manager, I've been playing since June of '09. I'm for this change because it will promote the long term health of the community at large, even if it does it at some small cost to a few elite managers.

But something should be done to make money evenly spread but also more ways to spend i think the economy would get better

I agree that there are problems with the economy and that money sinks are needed, but that's beyond the scope of this thread. We shouldn't be seeking to solve inflationary problems with shady patchwork semi-solutions like money laundering and gyms that lose tons of money every week. We should be seeking to solve them with cool new things like private planes, plastic surgeons and anything else we can come up with.

Some random ideas where money could be used in a way it doesn't actually affect the fighters skills:

Free agents could be distributed by auction, not by hype of the manager.

There could be some cool stuff which fighters and managers could buy (not from other managers as that would help). No idea what the could be, jet has been proposed earlier?

Managers could buy media time for their fighters, which would result more hype and/or popularity. This could possibly be linked with his skills and some hiddens, so better skilled fighters could get more boost, and maybe there could be random effect, sometimes there could be negative effect if the fighter says something idiotic in interview. :D

:notworthy: :smile_anim:

Another consideration. private gyms is as much about sparring as class size. I know what partners I'm going to get in my alliance gyms.

Good point, so there would still be room for private gyms, but it would be more about sparring than getting better training in all aspects. That would make it still benefial to have a private gym if you want maximum gains, but it wouldn't be such a big edge as now.

It does seem unfair though how some players have endless money and all the elite coaches/sparring partners but they played their cards right on the game to get there so you cant hate.

First point: Your not one of the vets though (no offence). So far over half (if not all) the older players (vets if you will) that have posted are AGREEING with this (and have been waiting for some time to back such a proposal. Dont defend a crowd you arent even part of on their behalf :)

Second point: Its almost nothing to do with skill to get that money. Honestly. Ive blown upwards of 2 million dollars on stuff in the past year for me and my alliance and they have probably done the same. It was time spent in game and friends earned that got me the lions share of that money, not being some master fight manager or brilliant company owner. If you play this game in a vaccuum then I suppose 3 million is a lot, but generally its not really to a group of people who are organised... also this reason alone is not good enough to allow what goes on now to continue unchecked.

Third point: Older managers like myself still have a huge advantage over newer players. This is not talking about you today, this is affecting you in 6 - 12months. Currently you would be doing very well to be anywhere near a contender in 6 -12 months the way 1-1 blasts normal training out of the water. If you aint using it you are behind the curve, simple as that (now does that not sound a little discouraging?).

Fourth point: Is it more unfair to reduce an advantage given to you by simply being here first got you, or is it more unfair to allow new players to get bored to death and give up because they will never get close to matching the current status quo unless they play here for 2 or more years? At which point Ill still be popping out double elites fighters just as you start doing it.

I dont mean to call you out or single you out mate, Im glad you posted because in my mind you highlighted some of the fallacies its really easy to get sucked into in this debate :)

Edit:

Good point, so there would still be room for private gyms, but it would be more about sparring than getting better training in all aspects. That would make it still benefial to have a private gym if you want maximum gains, but it wouldn't be such a big edge as now.

Yeah, as it stands paying through bookies gives you all of the advantages and none of the disadvantages. You can have a sparring gym purely for excellent training and make a lot of money. I think if you put the time in to train up elites like that you deserve it (also it will give fighters past their prime but good in stats somewhere to train up primaries of younger fighters - another old suggestion resurfacing there :))

Edit: Lets try and keep this about gyms. Money sinks are needed and we can easily go off on a tangent, but please lets start another thread about money sinks and link it if you wanna talk that. Im happy to wade in about that discussion too.

• Upvote 1

I agree that there are problems with the economy and that money sinks are needed, but that's beyond the scope of this thread. We shouldn't be seeking to solve inflationary problems with shady patchwork semi-solutions like money laundering and gyms that lose tons of money every week. We should be seeking to solve them with cool new things like private planes, plastic surgeons and anything else we can come up with.

Yea it would even things out and make the game more interesting if they had private jets and surgeons. Bust are you suggesting that they would be user controlled because the top people would just take over that and have even more money.

First point: Your not one of the vets though (no offence). So far over half (if not all) the older players (vets if you will) that have posted are AGREEING with this (and have been waiting for some time to back such a proposal. Dont defend a crowd you arent even part of on their behalf :)

Second point: Its almost nothing to do with skill to get that money. Honestly. Ive blown upwards of 2 million dollars on stuff in the past year for me and my alliance and they have probably done the same. It was time spent in game and friends earned that got me the lions share of that money, not being some master fight manager or brilliant company owner. If you play this game in a vaccuum then I suppose 3 million is a lot, but generally its not really to a group of people who are organised... also this reason alone is not good enough to allow what goes on now to continue unchecked.

Third point: Older managers like myself still have a huge advantage over newer players. This is not talking about you today, this is affecting you in 6 - 12months. Currently you would be doing very well to be anywhere near a contender in 6 -12 months the way 1-1 blasts normal training out of the water. If you aint using it you are behind the curve, simple as that (now does that not sound a little discouraging?).

Fourth point: Is it more unfair to reduce an advantage given to you by simply being here first got you, or is it more unfair to allow new players to get bored to death and give up because they will never get close to matching the current status quo unless they play here for 2 or more years? At which point Ill still be popping out double elites fighters just as you start doing it.

I dont mean to call you out or single you out mate, Im glad you posted because in my mind you highlighted some of the fallacies its really easy to get sucked into in this debate :)

See now you're making it seem like only veteran players should have a say so. I was just putting my two sense on what i noticed about the game in the time i've been playing. I did agree that there should be a change. You dont have to be a "vet" at this game to know how most browser games are, they are all pretty much the same. If something can be done to make it better than let it be done dont make it seem like only older player can have something to say.

I like it, but I feel any class size between 1 and 5 should be treated as a class size of 3. Anything over 5 should be frowned upon (as it pretty much is now) and treated as it's actual number. I'd also like to see gym owners be able to put a cap of 3-5 on the number of people able to train during that session.

it's a good idea. i think this coupled with a standard amount of coaching points per gym would do wonders for the competitiveness of this game. even if mike is against having 3 on 1 being equal to 1 on 1 then he should still consider doing it that way for the time being, until he can figure another solution. it's the dumbest thing to let it keep spiraling out of control simply because you dont know what to do. at least do something to harness it. "controlled chaos" is better than just "chaos" in my opinion

it's a good idea. i think this coupled with a standard amount of coaching points per gym would do wonders for the competitiveness of this game. even if mike is against having 3 on 1 being equal to 1 on 1 then he should still consider doing it that way for the time being, until he can figure another solution. it's the dumbest thing to let it keep spiraling out of control simply because you dont know what to do. at least do something to harness it. "controlled chaos" is better than just "chaos" in my opinion

:band:

:us:

it's kinda like if you have teenagers. if you know they are gonna go out and drink, why not let them drink at your house? at least that way you can monitor what they do. same situation here. if you know that 1 on 1 training is driving new players out of the game. then why not take control of the situation to minimize the damage, until a more obvious solution can arise.

Not sure if the keys to the safe should be so easy

I wanted to address the idea that this automatically gives the best training to everyone. It doesn't, really. What it does is place the best training in reach of those who can organize a group and get them to sign on to sparring regularly in the right way. See gyms like Skull and Bones for reference, where a balanced sparring and coach schedule has lead to great results. You can't get things like this without being part of a community within MMATycoon, and that feeling of community will also promote people staying in the game. We're not handing out the keys here, we are placing the keys in reach of people who can form a human pyramid, rather than those who just reach it on a heap of gold.

Yea it would even things out and make the game more interesting if they had private jets and surgeons. Bust are you suggesting that they would be user controlled because the top people would just take over that and have even more money.

I do think that any new business types should be player run, it's one of the core principles of this game that as much as possible is player run.