Ground and Pound From the Guard

Grey

I have seen people(my fighter as well) landing like 1 in 10 shots in guard and 9.8 in 10 shots in mount, this game just favor the guard too much when the guy on bottom goes high counter + high control.

I have seen people(my fighter as well) landing like 1 in 10 shots in guard and 9.8 in 10 shots in mount, this game just favor the guard too much when the guy on bottom goes high counter + high control.

In all fairness, it's pretty rare to see a guy get good ground and pound from the guard in reality against someone looking purely to tie them up and avoid damage.

Technically a heavier/shorter fighter should have probably more dangerous ground and pound than a lighter/taller one to some degree from the guard too.

Half guard should be a fair bit stronger for ground and pound though (for the guy on top), you see guys get badly roughed up in that position fairly regularly.

I think that although you see the occasional fighter that does a lot of damage from his opponent's guard (Tito Ortiz comes to mind), a knowledgeable ground player can utilize an effective guard to minimize the amount of punishing shots they take. Notice I said minimize, not eliminate completely. Then with the progressions through the dominance of positions it should get worse. I personally haven't noticed a problem with my GnP guys.

In all fairness, it's pretty rare to see a guy get good ground and pound from the guard in reality against someone looking purely to tie them up and avoid damage.

Technically a heavier/shorter fighter should have probably more dangerous ground and pound than a lighter/taller one to some degree from the guard too.

Half guard should be a fair bit stronger for ground and pound though (for the guy on top), you see guys get badly roughed up in that position fairly regularly.

Well, after some thought that's actually quite true. The problem last time is that missing too much shots lead to a standup. It's solved now since the revamp of the referee standup code so it's pretty fine nnow. You might not hit too much in guard but as long as there's not standup and your opponent ain't doing shit, you are winning a round.

• 3 weeks later...
I think that although you see the occasional fighter that does a lot of damage from his opponent's guard (Tito Ortiz comes to mind), a knowledgeable ground player can utilize an effective guard to minimize the amount of punishing shots they take.

The only guys Tito did a lot of damage to from their guard really didn't belong in the same ring as him though, when he fought Rashad and Matyushenko they pretty much tied him up on the ground and took very little damage.

Who has Tito Ortiz come to them when they think of anyone great at anything in 2011? haha.

I think this is a semi-appropriate place to bring up that aggression in and out of the guard should be separate. Really sucks to fight someone with a good guard and once you finally pass your boy sits in mount on high counter.

one of my buddies who plays this game finished a guy from half guard with 6 shots (this guy also has KO power but average GNP), GnP from guard is almost never effective, i can only think of a few fighter in real life who have finished guys from within their opponents guard (Tito Ortiz and Jon Jones there are probably some more but those are the first that come to mind), half guard is slightly more effective, but only if you have high strength, a decided advantage on the ground, and average to high GnP, but in real life you usually only see guys throwing meaningful strikes from side control or mount.

this is probably a repeat of what everyone else is saying but i shall say it anyway!