Nutrition business is broken

KellyM5

After thinking about a lot of different suggestions and my own ideas, I think the simplest, fairest, and most effective fix would be lowering the length of time that supps work for and adding an expiration date on how long they can sit for(this one I'm a little iffy on). This will increase demand which will put the amount of supplements at a premium instead of the flooded markets we have today. More demand means that companies don't need to undercut each other nearly as bad to get a healthy income on their investment and it opens up room for profit at the bottom end by increasing the sheer volume of supplements that need to be purchased. It also adds value to supplements other than recovery as a fighter will have to purchase more than two or three of the other types over their lifetime.

I feel warehouses only flood the already flooded market with more stock, fixing absolutely nothing and think that a minimum price for supp qualities to far to unrealistic and makes the economy to artificial. As for raising the ordering cost on supplements based on quality, I feel that it will makes things worse as well. Prices will still have to be low to garner sales but profit margins on a very expensive product will only get tighter, putting even more pressure on the smaller companies as they make very little money and have to keep most of it to order stock instead of using the profits for other ventures.

Just my 2 cents...

After thinking about a lot of different suggestions and my own ideas, I think the simplest, fairest, and most effective fix would be lowering the length of time that supps work for and adding an expiration date on how long they can sit for(this one I'm a little iffy on). This will increase demand which will put the amount of supplements at a premium instead of the flooded markets we have today. More demand means that companies don't need to undercut each other nearly as bad to get a healthy income on their investment and it opens up room for profit at the bottom end by increasing the sheer volume of supplements that need to be purchased. It also adds value to supplements other than recovery as a fighter will have to purchase more than two or three of the other types over their lifetime.

I feel warehouses only flood the already flooded market with more stock, fixing absolutely nothing and think that a minimum price for supp qualities to far to unrealistic and makes the economy to artificial. As for raising the ordering cost on supplements based on quality, I feel that it will makes things worse as well. Prices will still have to be low to garner sales but profit margins on a very expensive product will only get tighter, putting even more pressure on the smaller companies as they make very little money and have to keep most of it to order stock instead of using the profits for other ventures.

Just my 2 cents...

I hadn't thought about lowering the time for supp length but that would help in the same way as raising the cap, as it is really just another way of raising the price cap.

In essence right now each supp has a max cost of $300/14days for a cost of $21.43 per day. Dropping the length is really the exact same thing as raising the price cap. $300/7 days ($42.86 per day) is identical to $600/14 days ($42.86 per day) and so on....

I can train secondaries 11 times a week on Q156's and still be back to 100% Energy on Monday, with almost all of my guys, if not actually all of them. I don't think that making Q160's half as available is going to enhance the game for nutrition companies in any significant way. Consumers pressing "2" instead of "1", and perhaps clicking a couple times extra to find a comparable product when yours runs out, isn't going to make it more interesting.

What is the new dynamic; what makes it interesting to people? What makes it an enhancement, beyond the neolithic confines of "the company gets more money"? How does it actually add to the gameplay?

"Nutrition companies should make twice as much money" is a very boring postulate.

I can train secondaries 11 times a week on Q156's and still be back to 100% Energy on Monday, with almost all of my guys, if not actually all of them. I don't think that making Q160's half as available is going to enhance the game for nutrition companies in any significant way. Consumers pressing "2" instead of "1", and perhaps clicking a couple times extra to find a comparable product when yours runs out, isn't going to make it more interesting.

What is the new dynamic; what makes it interesting to people? What makes it an enhancement, beyond the neolithic confines of "the company gets more money"? How does it actually add to the gameplay?

"Nutrition companies should make twice as much money" is a very boring postulate.

It doesn't add anything to the game play, it's not about that. Increased demand means a higher price point and a greater volume of supplements being purchased, not just for the 160's but for 155's and also stamina, muscle, weight gain, and weight loss. Say supps only work for 5 days now, this increases sales by 3x. My company would now sell out at $99 forcing me to raise my prices as my price point has now changed. Right now Supply is far greater than demand, causing massive undercutting and stopping anyone from getting into nutrition as a viable business.

Right now public gyms make very little and nutrition is almost impossible to get into with the high start up costs and very low profit margins. It's almost as much of a losing venture as running a private gym. With two companies not being able to make money, it causes a flood of orgs and clothing, clamping down on their ability to profit and sending the economy into a tailspin.

I would also be for making cloths deteriorate quicker as it would cause an increase in clothing demand as well, making clothing a bit more viable of an option.

Again, this isn't about adding more features to the game, it's about fixing the economy to make it viable again for both new and old companies alike.

I hadn't thought about lowering the time for supp length but that would help in the same way as raising the cap, as it is really just another way of raising the price cap.

In essence right now each supp has a max cost of $300/14days for a cost of $21.43 per day. Dropping the length is really the exact same thing as raising the price cap. $300/7 days ($42.86 per day) is identical to $600/14 days ($42.86 per day) and so on....

The difference, as atrain pointed out, is demand. If the price cap was raised to $10,000, the only thing that would go up is the cost of donation products. Atrain and I still can't raise our prices since we aren't going to actually sell more(I used us as examples since we are the worst under cutters), just have the potential to charge more. The undercutting would still be there and the smaller companies will still be getting squeezed out by the big boys.

I know what I'm about to say has a lot of components, but it might be a great solution....and I don't believe anyone has suggested it.

1. Decrease the duration supps last (5 days might be ideal)

2. Increases the max selling cost

3. Decrease the the monthly order limit from 2500 to maybe 1500

With those alone, eventually companies will have to stop under cutting each other or they could go broke. If they can't order as much stock month to month, and they are selling out faster and faster at $75 a month and find themselves making less and less profit, eventually they'll have to raise the cost of supply to make more profit. All companies will eventually have to do this.

There is a 4th option and that is to allow increase in supplement quality research. You know that managers who can afford it will gladly pay for 165 quality if it were there. If a company can research it, then they would have to competitively price it to make sure they don't go out of business and not undercut the price of it to get people buying their 165 instead of someone else 160. Fact of the matter is: A manager with 4 fighters who's been in the game for a month shouldn't be able to afford 160 or higher supplements until they are more established and the money. Right now, pretty much anyone can buy 160 supplements. Increase the quality maximum+increase the selling price maximum+decreasing the duration+decreasing the monthly order limit= bringing back the demand for the 150 supplements and increasing the cost for higher supplements like 159,160 and potentially higher.

This is in my eyes of course.

That could screw ppl out of their 500 wk achievements?

Well I don't know whats more important, 500 week sales mark or fixing the nutrition system??? I don't know decrease the 500 week mark to 350 or something. Sometimes you got to break one thing to fix another....It's just a matter of if it's important enough to do.

As themisterx mentioned, we are working on and discussing solutions. Several options are on the table. To the OP, if you are going to bring up a problem, it helps if offer possible solutions. Esp. if you have expertise in the area, it's not productive to just complain.

EDIT: Post any ideas on the subject here so they can be considered

Raise the ordering limit,,,,wait been suggested and all that did was put the cap at 2500 for nutrition and 3500 for clothing.

this stuff comes up every 6 to 8 months, :wheelchair: on to more productive things.

maybe i will link a twitter account to my supp company, or better yet :drunk:

A good point and this does play into the problem... as I said, we have hit the end of the research tree a lot quicker than was probably envisioned. We also end up using only one type of supp for the vast length of a fighter's life span which probably needs some work as well since supp companies are really just Recovery companies in terms of actual total sales. For every 1 Strength or Stamina supp a fighter consumes in their lifetime they probably consume 100 or more Recoveries.

I have some guys who have enough Recovery supps already purchased to last them well into their dotage and the check box next to it will simply never be unchecked again. There needs to be a bit of variety to benefits gained from supps to encourage more usage of different thing to allow diversity in the companies.