Why I hate religion.

One it's the arrogance the normal Christian believes that the creator of the universe was made with them in mind that said creator personally created them and is there 24/7 to listen to them they also believe that the creator will bend the laws of nature every once and while and grant them eternal life...now here are a bunch of quotes that I believe to be very true. "Faith is the great cop-out, the great excuse to evade the need to think and evaluate evidence. Faith is belief in spite of, even perhaps because of, the lack of evidence." "Since our inner experiences consist of reproductions, and combinations of sensory impressions, the concept of a soul without a body seem to me to be empty and devoid of meaning."

• Downvote 1

"There is no such thing as a Christian child: Only a child of Christian parents." "Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings." That's all I've got for now...

• Downvote 1

Religion is like a penis.

It's fine to have one.

It's fine to be proud of it.

But please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around.

And PLEASE don't try to shove it down children's throats.

• Upvote 3

Religion is like a penis.

It's fine to have one.

It's fine to be proud of it.

But please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around.

And PLEASE don't try to shove it down children's throats.

LMFAO...how good was that?! :lol:

That penis post is funny but it shouldn't be that way no one should be proud of being ignorant...

Arrogance goes both ways. As does ignorance.

Sometimes those preach against something end up doing generally the same thing...in the same ways.

My dislike stems from people pushing their beliefs on others, no matter what that belief (or lack thereof) is. People should choose for themselves.

Grow up and adhere to Scientology like an adult. ;)

LOL the irony in this thread. Talk about religious or christian arrogance. Then go on to claim what you believe is right and everyone else is ignorant dispite Science and religion being in an age old battle that has went no where. There is no proof of either side. So who is arrogant? Then people claim religion is pushed down their throat. Yet someone felt so strong about their beliefs(or lack of) they needed to start this threat and tell everyone how ignorant they are if they dont believe the same as they do. LMAO!!!!! Carry on!

Are you saying you dislike me making an anti religion thread? If so that's to bad there wouldn't have been a holocaust or as many people strapping bombs to themselves and blowing stuff up if it wasn't for religion for those reasons alone seem good enough to speak out against religion. Do you not agree?

Brainsmasher you kinda make me sick to say there is no proof on either side is very ignorant I suggest you read a few books about evolution

A mans ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, and social ties; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death.

Are you saying you dislike me making an anti religion thread? If so that's to bad there wouldn't have been a holocaust or as many people strapping bombs to themselves and blowing stuff up if it wasn't for religion for those reasons alone seem good enough to speak out against religion. Do you not agree?

I mostly agree with your reasoning for being anti-religious. That being said, people will find reasons to do terrible things to each other regardless of religion's existence. That can go hand in hand with the arrogance/mini gods argument you started out with.

I mostly agree with your reasoning for being anti-religious. That being said, people will find reasons to do terrible things to each other regardless of religion's existence. That can go hand in hand with the arrogance/mini gods argument you started out with.

I strongly believe the world would be a better place without religion no KKK no twin towers collapsing if people believe that there isnt a god then there not going to fight about it "Religion. Gives hope to a world destroyed by religion."-Jon Stewart

lolwut?

There are extremists on both sides. Making threads bashing one side is childish. No it's not. Maybe you'd like to try again?

By GripGambler's point of view people like Albert Einstein and Richard Dawkins are childish...

Oh, they made threads bashing religion? Weird...

Last time I watched anything on Richard Dawkins he was participating in intellectual debates in an attempt to change future views and education. This = childishly bashing people of another belief? Weird...

LMFAO...how good was that?! :lol:

Thanks, but I can't take credit... stole it from a bash.org quote :)

I strongly believe the world would be a better place without religion no KKK no twin towers collapsing if people believe that there isnt a god then there not going to fight about it "Religion. Gives hope to a world destroyed by religion."-Jon Stewart

No religion would also mean: no crusades, indian tribes would still exist in south america aswell as their language, North america would look completely different (who blesses america now?), there would have been no Inquisition... There are numerous things that has been done in the name of religion. However being religious has never hurt nobody...

I am sure we could come up with other reasons to fight. I don't think any of the fights I have been in were over religion, but that doesn't mean they never took place.

You're right, they wont be fighting about god. They will be fighting about power*, land*, resources*, because those people aren't in our group* , race, because that guy's a dick, because they are the dicks, because they can, because those people think non-religious idea X, etc.

*The usual main reasons behind mass violence among humans even if religion is a handy connection.

I don't like religion at all. I'm not arguing for religion, or against anything else you've said. I just can't stand it when people blame religion for the fact that people are twats.

I don't like religion at all. I'm not arguing for religion, or against anything else you've said. I just can't stand it when people blame religion for the fact that people are twats.

Well said.

To add, IMHO media and all kinds of extremists make many things look way worse than they are in reality. Thats why I hate media. It's a tool to control the masses. No news is good news. :smile_anim:

• Upvote 1

At the heart of everything, every person is pulled in all directions by the myriad options they perceive in front of them, ultimately moved by what weighs upon them the most. Persistant lore is one of the core elements of virtually any cultural group, and the desire to belong to a group is one that has allowed us to continue forward as a species, regardless of whether you would self-identify as a Canadian, Catholic, Republican, Scuba-Diver, or anything else.

Traits expressed by self-identified members of organized religions are often complained of by people self-identifying as athiests, but those athiests often mimic the behavioural patterns they spite. As one example, I've often seen people lauding their adherance to logical, scientific thought, but freely discounting the hypothesis that life was created by an intelligent force beyond ourselves because evidence is not presented for or against it, even though this is decidedly an unscientific method, go on to deride others' hypocrisies.

Can you imagine a primitive mind being told, you know what, I think there might be something that made everything exist, and keeps it existing! Would he say, "well yeah, food!"? How would you explain your revelation?

We don't just stand on the Earth.. there's something that pulls us towards it! Let's call it "gravity". You don't understand? Well, gravity is like a magic gnome in the center of the world with strings attached to everything, gently reeling them all in. "Oh, my uncle slipped in a tree and broke his neck and died, so this gnome is obviously vengeful and unforgiving!" "No, the crops grow with rainfall, and it wouldn't fall without this gnome, so he obviously wants life to flourish and endevours to do so; we have to be pulled down here to the soil so there's plants to eat, anyways, so he's obviously working for our benefit!" And then, eventually, the agravitists come along and say science proves there's no giant gnome in the middle of the Earth, so, clearly, this "gravity" doesn't exist. A bunch of people miss out on truly experiencing revelry, to bask in the curious awe that some force beyond our grasp guides all that is and will ever be, thinking only just far enough to corner themselves with comprehension and not far enough to find understanding.

Disclaimer: I am not a religious man. I do however get very cranky when I see intellectually challenged lemmings spout ignorant bullshit because they blindly waddle in the footsteps of others.

People will always find reasons to attack each other, religion or not. Religion is often used to rile up the masses to be able to control them better. If you control the masses you can do damn near whatever you want, whether that's crusading against the heathens or burning "witches".

However, the problem doesn't really stem from people believing in a higher power. The problem stems from institutionalizing something that's (more likely than not) man-made and putting other humans in charge of it. Humans are little more than monkeys in shoes, and will inevitably try to get ahead if they get lots of power.

The Holocaust was due to Hitler needing a scapegoat primarily, no matter what underlying reasons might have been. The Jews were an easy target because of the brand of Christianity targeted at the Romans where the Jews were blamed for "killing Christ", true, but he might just as well have targeted someone else if this wasn't the case. Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Sure, the Al Quaeda, IRA or Christian crusaders all used their religious beliefs as an excuse to rape and pillage. Their reasons for doing so were a couple of very basic human instincts, though: Greed and xenophobia. Non-religious people aren't exempt for these just because they don't believe in higher powers.

My opinion is that some people will believe in something bigger than what they can observe regardless of what happens, and that's completely fine by me. I don't mind people believing in Vishnu, Allah or Jesus Christ any more than I mind people having different political options than me. What I do mind, though, is the institutionalizing of something as personal as religious faith, as it's very easy to manipulate emotionally volatile, devout masses. I don't think outlawing it is a good solution in any case, as it would make way too many people unhappy, and the believers would do it anyways (since you love your history so much, the persecution of Christians in Rome in the mid-60s AD would be a great example).

I, and most people, wouldn't mind if you made a thread debating the usefulness and validity of religion in our modern society. What does raise my eyebrows, though, is a poorly made thread about "religion being shit" with a bunch of Richard Dawkins quotes taken entirely out of context in the original post, and then childish retorts when people tell you how stupid this is.

Have a nice day, sir.

lolwut?

There are extremists on both sides. Making threads bashing one side is childish.

Making threads bashing anything is stupid, period.