UFC 131

27 members have voted

1. 1. Who's fighting for the heavyweight title next?

• Junior dos Santos
    • Shane Carwin

Ok, let's hear it. Prediction, comments and so on.

My predictions on the main card:

Junior dos Santos vs. Shane Carwin (TKO 1st round) - I think I forgot for a second how good Carwin is.

Kenny Florian vs. Diego Nunes (Decision) - I think he's Kenflo is just a little better, even at featherweight.

Jon Olav Einemo vs. Dave Herman (Submission 2nd) - Herman surely more in Einemo's league than Carwin, I give Einemo the benifit of the doubt in this one.

Demian Maia vs. Mark Muñoz (TKO 2nd round) - I don't like to pick against Maia because he's so consistent, but Munoz looks more impressive lately.

Donald Cerone vs. Vagner Rocha - I just don't know too much about Rocha.

Edited by Steeve

Junior dos Santos vs. Shane Carwin - As much as I think Dos Santos has the best stand-up punch wise in the HW division, I think Carwin has enough 1 punch power to worry him and has under rated wrestling. If he has learned from the Lesnar fight and has improved cardio I can see an upset

Carwin via TKO Rd1

Kenny Florian vs. Diego Nunes - Florian has a fairly well rounded game and lethal elbows from all guard positions, as long as he can stay off his back I think he has this

Florian via RNC Rd2

Jon Olav Einemo vs. Dave Herman - Though Einemo was slated to fight Carwin I don't feel he is anywhere near that class, but still think he can finish Herman. If it goes the distance then Herman will take it but I fancy Einemo in this one

Einemo via Arm Triangle Choke Rd2

Demian Maia vs. Mark Munoz - Maia is world class, but his one flaw is a major one and that's in his stand-up. Munoz is a great wrestler but if he is smart and keeps it standing then I think his takedown defence will be good enough to stop Maia and if he can land 1 big shot again it could be a short night

Munoz via (T)KO Rd1

Donald Cerrone vs. Vagner Rocha - Cerrone is technically sound on the feet, good chin and excellent submissions so I don't feel Rocha can match him anywhere. Haven't seen much of Richard but despite good bjj, his chin is suspect and I don't feel his stand-up will trouble Cerrone

Cerrone via decision

FOTN - Cerrone vs. Rocha

KOTN - Carwin

SOTN - Einemo

Well, besides the Main Event, I don't find this fight card very marketable. About the only other legitimate name casual fans know is Florian. Anyway, onto my picks............

Carwin vs Dos Santos - I expect a bit of feeling each other out in the 1st round and then the 2nd we see fireworks. Dos Santos by KO in the 2nd

Florian vs Nunes - I don't really see how this is Co-Main event worthy, but what do I know. Kenny is just too big for Nunes. KenFlo by submission in the 2nd

Einemo vs Herman - Isn't it sad that UFC doesn't have a profile on either one and this is on the main card????? I guess I'll go with Herman due to experience. Herman by decision

Maia vs Munoz - Now I do like this fight from a grappling fans perspective. Munoz has been hot lately, but Maia's BJJ is just too much for him. Maia by submission in the 1st

Cerrone vs Rocha - I like Cerrone to continue his winning ways, but it will be a tough fight. Cerrone by decision

Carwin TKO round 2 - He learned not to blow his wad in the Brock fight. He will be a handful for any fighter.

Florian decision - Nunes doesn't have the one skill that really troubles Florian and lately he isn't finishing fights. Of those decisions two of his last three were split. Unless Florian makes a bad cut he should be able to pull out a decision.

Herman TKO round 3 - He beat Don Frye. While others have too you still gotta be tough.

Munoz Decision - There is nothing I don't love about this guy lately. Maia is dangerous, but Munoz is crazy. I think he can do it.

Cowboy Sub round 2 - He is a hard guy not to like.

Carwin vs. dos Santos- Carwn via UD. I don't really know how well both of these guys chin and heart is, however I think they both have a good chin and heart & therefore won't be able to finish the other one but will throw bombs the whole fight.

Florian vs. Nunes- Florian via 2nd round submission. Florian is really good, just chokes under pressure, however I think he would have the ability to finish Nunes and get a title shot in this fight.

Olav Einemo vs. Herman- Olav Einemo via 1st round submission. Olav Einemo is a good submission fight & working with Overeem he should have good stand up.

Maia vs. Munoz- Maia via 1st round submission. Maia is an great submission fighter & i expect him to win quickly.

Cerrone vs. Rocha- Who's Rocha? Well got to go with Cerrone via 1st round submission.

Stout vs. Edawards- Stout via UD. This fight is awesome & I am happy it's free :)

I told myself to stop predicting fights because in most of them anything can happen. They often play out very differently than expected. With that said I'm going to give it a bash anyway.

Preliminary card (Facebook/Youtube)

Featherweight bout: Michihiro Omigawa vs. Darren Elkins Omigawa

Heavyweight bout: Joey Beltran vs. Aaron Rosa Beltran

Featherweight bout: Dustin Poirier vs. Jason Young Poirier

Middleweight bout: Nick Ring vs. James Head Ring

Light Heavyweight bout: Krzysztof Soszynski vs. Mike Massenzio The Polish Experiment

Preliminary card (Spike TV)

Middleweight bout: Jesse Bongfeldt vs. Chris Weidman Weidman wrecks him

Lightweight bout: Sam Stout vs. Yves Edwards Fight Of The Night in my opinion, going to go with Yves, it's a tossup.

Main card

Lightweight bout: Donald Cerrone vs. Vagner Rocha Have to go with the Cowboy here

Middleweight bout: Demian Maia vs. Mark Muñoz Looking forward to this one, another which could go either way, Munoz has the better standup and some brutal ground and pound if he can stay away from the submission. If he plays it smart and keeps it standing I think he takes this one via (T)KO.

Heavyweight bout: Jon Olav Einemo vs. Dave Herman I've seen very little of either man but I've been a little bit swayed on here of some people's opinion of JOE. They seem to rate him pretty highly, that with the fact that I'm wondering why it's even on the main card if this guy isn't at least pretty good when they could have moved up Stout/Edwards. But was he brought in as cannon fodder for Cawrin or was he a legit threat? I guess we'll find out, Herman is a tough guy but I'm gonna go with JOE.

Featherweight bout: Kenny Florian vs. Diego Nunes Another which I'm having trouble deciding on, will Florian choke in could what put him in strong contention for another title shot? I'm still edging towards Florian because of the size advantage.

Heavyweight bout: Junior dos Santos vs. Shane Carwin Hyped for this one, have a lot of respect for JDS. I don't really have a lot of 'favourite' modern fighters but JDS has become one. Carwin has power but can he land it? A lot of people have said the opposite but I think Carwin's best chance is on the ground if he can get top position. I don't see that happening though, JDS will be elusive early on tiring out the big man before exploding with his aggressive style like we know he can. Carwin will fold and Junior gets the TKO victory.

this isnt really a fight i could pick a winner as carwin has 5XL gloves and has to cut weight to make 265, if he lands a clean shot your going to sleep.but then Junior is so quick and if he can be in and out before carwin lands he may win.

I got Carwin to win by KO early 2nd round

I'm interested at what weight Carwin is now. He doesn't look as heavy as before. This is part of the reason I picked dos Santos. Being a beast was kind of Carwin's thing.

Wow, I really thought JDS is an underdog in this fight, but most of the guys here say the other way around

Anyway I also have a feeling JDS will win this one and Maia also

Carwin at 254 lbs. That's interesting, in the planned fight with Einemo he would've been the smaller man by seven pounds. I'm sure that before he came to the UFC he weighed something around twenty pounds more.

Junior Santos will take Carwin out late first round early second round. Carwin dont have the chin or the Cardio. But he has a punchers chance because i see him swarming Dos looking for the early KO to hide his lack of speed and cardio. There may be a feeling out process but after that all hell is breaking loose!

Munoz will KO Maia! Maia isnt rounded enough to drag the fight out into the late rounds. He dont have the durability to last on the bottom vs Munoz GnP. Unless he gets a sub on the takedown from Munoz i dont see him getting it early on his back. He wont be able to let Munoz stay on him as long as he let Herman hang around. Munoz better watch for the guillotine choke stand and on the takedown!

San Stout/Yves. Tough fight. I will go with Stout to pull off the KO. Yves has been around the block maybe a little to much. If not it will be a back and forth fight to a decision and could go either way. I'll go Stout.

Cerrone via TKO. Rocha will find it hard to get Cowboy down and will take a lot of damage. I would be very suprised if Rocha get even 1 takedown. Look for a beating on the feet. Winner Cerrone rd 1 TKO.

Nunes/Florian. Very tough. Not sure if Florian will be able to sub Nunes or not or what effect his elbows will have from the bottom. I will go with Diego to take him down and grind out a decision. Not sure his BJJ is high enough to keep him out of trouble, but we'll see! Nunes decision!

Florian looks like skeletor. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Nunes took it. Featherweight might just be one weight class too low. I pick Yves against Stout by UD. Bongfeldt against Weidman is also a top fight. Looking at Weidman to take that one by UD.

Ok, I will counter your post with a

Head

Omigawa

Beltran

X

Einemo

Soszynski

Weidman

Edited by Steeve

The rest of the fights after seeing the weigh-ins are:

Nick Ring

Michihiro Omigawa

Aaron Rosa- Hope Beltran wins but giving up a lot of size. Should be close either way.

Dustin Poirier

Jon Olav Einemo- Herman is a JOAT fighter who wont be good enough on the ground in this fight.

Krzysztof Soszynski

Jesse Bongfeldt

Florian looks like skeletor. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Nunes took it. Featherweight might just be one weight class too low. I pick Yves against Stout by UD. Bongfeldt against Weidman is also a top fight. Looking at Weidman to take that one by UD.

I assume he'll be way heavier during the fight though.

Did you see how dehydrated he was at the weigh ins? His abs were nearly punching through his skin.

I just changed my pick on dos Santos vs Carwin to Shane. He might be smaller, but he's still a beast. I forgot for a second how good he is. The whole list of first round KO's can't be forgotten. He has great wrestling and is strong in the clinch, I think that is going to make the difference. Of course if I said that with any certainty I wouldn't have had to change my mind about it.

Careful, post in the thread I started where it says spoiler not in here

Don't wanna ruin the event for those that haven't seen it yet guys and gals....

Careful, post in the thread I started where it says spoiler not in here

Don't wanna ruin the event for those that haven't seen it yet guys and gals....

The thread says that it's about UFC 131. I don't know but unless you're a retard it's pretty obvious.

Junior Santos will take Carwin out late first round early second round. Carwin dont have the chin or the Cardio. But he has a punchers chance because i see him swarming Dos looking for the early KO to hide his lack of speed and cardio. There may be a feeling out process but after that all hell is breaking loose!

Munoz will KO Maia! Maia isnt rounded enough to drag the fight out into the late rounds. He dont have the durability to last on the bottom vs Munoz GnP. Unless he gets a sub on the takedown from Munoz i dont see him getting it early on his back. He wont be able to let Munoz stay on him as long as he let Herman hang around. Munoz better watch for the guillotine choke stand and on the takedown!

San Stout/Yves. Tough fight. I will go with Stout to pull off the KO. Yves has been around the block maybe a little to much. If not it will be a back and forth fight to a decision and could go either way. I'll go Stout.

Cerrone via TKO. Rocha will find it hard to get Cowboy down and will take a lot of damage. I would be very suprised if Rocha get even 1 takedown. Look for a beating on the feet. Winner Cerrone rd 1 TKO.

Nunes/Florian. Very tough. Not sure if Florian will be able to sub Nunes or not or what effect his elbows will have from the bottom. I will go with Diego to take him down and grind out a decision. Not sure his BJJ is high enough to keep him out of trouble, but we'll see! Nunes decision!

;)

Nice, but the rest of your prelim predictions weren't all that. Neither were mine, but I'm not bragging.

6-4 so far. Omigawa fight was controversial from what i hear and Einemo was a very close fight. You cant always get the close ones.

I think Maia should've won. Munoz' striking looked really bad.

I couldn't believe one of the judges ruled the first round in Munoz's favor.

Maia dominated that round. The rest of the rounds were Munoz though...pretty disappointed.