A sit down with the Legends

Hey guys, since HellBent Fighting Championship is hosting the Legends tournament getting ready to kick off the 30th, I will be posting an interview from all of them leading up to the day of the fights. I will also include some of the fighters on that card and (if he is willing) one from Golden Glory sbout who his favorite was, who he is pulling for, etc. So be on the look out for these!

I recently had the pleasure and very humbling honor of sitting down with the man, myth and legend himself, YB Sol. I didnt want to take up much of his time so I kept it brief.

1. Having been almost a year since your last fight, any fear of ring rust?

I had given the game up, I felt like I had nothing else to give to the sport. Seemed like a good time to go out after grabbing that Machida after 5 straight losses. I hadn't trained for months then I felt the urge to get back into training. The ring rust will be there, but I don't fear it - I aim to thrive on it, just going to let the hands go.

2. What does it mean to you to be considered one of the greatest fighter in Tycoon history, if not THE greatest?

It's a huge honour. I appreciate being listed up there with all the other top names and hate when I look at my record and see I nearly ruined my reputation. I need to put this right.

3. If still in your prime, do you think you could have beaten Golden Glory?

In my prime I had the tools to do so but the guy is an impressive athlete and would take some stopping.

4. What kind of pressure does it put on you having such a great name, and then drawing in the first round the heavily favored guy to win?

Swagger is the favourite and also a huge favourite to beat me. After such a long spell on the sidelines I could have taken the option of a couple of tune-up fights but felt I should just jump back in at the top. This isn't pressure, it's a massive opportunity.

5. Do you think Golden Glory will complete his quest for global dominance or fall just short?

I can see him losing soon. There are a lot of high quality HWs out there and they are all so talented that someone is sure to get the better of him in the coming fights. An excellent wrestler with good striking perhaps, Stehling fits the bill.

6. Who reminded you more of yourself while being the best, Jigaro Kane or Golden Glory?

Neither really remind me of myself, all 3 of us went on long win streaks at the beginning of our career. Kane has dropped a few fights of late, maybe Glory will go the same way.

7. If you do fall just short in the opening round of this tournament, will it be back to retirement or hang around awhile longer?

The plan was to work a little longer in the gym but this massive opportunity came along and I had to grab it with both hands. There isn't any shame in losing to Swagger so if I do I'll just need to consider my options. I just hope the fans get behind me and I can thrive on that.

• Upvote 3

I recently had the pleasure and very humbling honor of sitting down with the man, myth and legend himself, YB Sol. I didnt want to take up much of his time so I kept it brief.

1. Having been almost a year since your last fight, any fear of ring rust?

I had given the game up, I felt like I had nothing else to give to the sport. Seemed like a good time to go out after grabbing that Machida after 5 straight losses. I hadn't trained for months then I felt the urge to get back into training. The ring rust will be there, but I don't fear it - I aim to thrive on it, just going to let the hands go.

2. What does it mean to you to be considered one of the greatest fighter in Tycoon history, if not THE greatest?

It's a huge honour. I appreciate being listed up there with all the other top names and hate when I look at my record and see I nearly ruined my reputation. I need to put this right.

3. If still in your prime, do you think you could have beaten Golden Glory?

In my prime I had the tools to do so but the guy is an impressive athlete and would take some stopping.

4. What kind of pressure does it put on you having such a great name, and then drawing in the first round the heavily favored guy to win?

Swagger is the favourite and also a huge favourite to beat me. After such a long spell on the sidelines I could have taken the option of a couple of tune-up fights but felt I should just jump back in at the top. This isn't pressure, it's a massive opportunity.

5. Do you think Golden Glory will complete his quest for global dominance or fall just short?

I can see him losing soon. There are a lot of high quality HWs out there and they are all so talented that someone is sure to get the better of him in the coming fights. An excellent wrestler with good striking perhaps, Stehling fits the bill.

6. Who reminded you more of yourself while being the best, Jigaro Kane or Golden Glory?

Neither really remind me of myself, all 3 of us went on long win streaks at the beginning of our career. Kane has dropped a few fights of late, maybe Glory will go the same way.

7. If you do fall just short in the opening round of this tournament, will it be back to retirement or hang around awhile longer?

The plan was to work a little longer in the gym but this massive opportunity came along and I had to grab it with both hands. There isn't any shame in losing to Swagger so if I do I'll just need to consider my options. I just hope the fans get behind me and I can thrive on that.

Great read.

Well guys with the tournament two days away, its looking like Im not gonna get the rest of the interviews from the legends. I sent out several and YB is the only one who replied. Sorry

Well guys with the tournament two days away, its looking like Im not gonna get the rest of the interviews from the legends. I sent out several and YB is the only one who replied. Sorry

it happens a lot. especially when ur under the gun and need it the most lol. in the future, something that has worked for me...make up ur own shit. if they don't send u anything, they prolly have nothing of their own. sometimes, when time permits, that's the best way cuz u basically create it off the top of ur head...but when time is a factor, u can rack ur brain trying to come up with an interesting persona. no one knows their fighters better than them, well, in most cases that is.

it happens a lot. especially when ur under the gun and need it the most lol. in the future, something that has worked for me...make up ur own shit. if they don't send u anything, they prolly have nothing of their own. sometimes, when time permits, that's the best way cuz u basically create it off the top of ur head...but when time is a factor, u can rack ur brain trying to come up with an interesting persona. no one knows their fighters better than them, well, in most cases that is.

Taking your advise, I have this to offer. Thanks for the heads up. I will try and get at least one more done. There are two more for sure as meat machine's fight will not be until 10-14, so I will get his done and his opponents. and without further wait...

With just a day before the much anticipated tournament which includes some of the greatest names to grace the sport of Mixed Martial Arts, I had the distinct honor of sitting down with Jin "Dragon" Sen. I was able to dive into the thoughts and emotions of this great fighter and really see a glimpse of greatness. What you are about to hear and see is nothing short of pure heart, determination and grit.

Me: Thank you Mr. Sen for coming in and taking the interview jsut a day before the big fight.

JS: Not a problem. Thank you for having me. Its always nice to want to be interviewed, and please call me JS.

Me: With the fights tomorrow and you having drawn Apollo Creed for the fight, how do you feel? Was your training camp successful you think?

JS: I feel good. The training camp, I felt, went really well. We were able to impliment a game plan for Apollo and I think if I can get in there and do it, we will see victory. Apollo is tough though, and has an excellent manager.

Me: Lord Rayden is considered to be one of the best manager's in Tycoon. But your manager Franky Sin is also considered to be a great one, having run successful Organizations and a great stable of fighters.

JS: Yea I have to say that Franky has been great to me, and I couldn't have asked for a better manager and friend. I know Franky has done buisness with Rayden in the past, so they know each other well, which is why this is such an intriguing match up for the fans.

Me: I'll say. You have experienced it all JS. You have been on a losing streak, and you know what it is like to have a long winning streak, but when you first started out and dropped your first four fights, did you ever think maybe you had made a mistake and should purse some other career?

JS: *A long period of silence* You know...when I think back about how my career started, and where I am today...No I never thought about quiting. I knew that if I just kept training and plugging away that one day it would all come together. My first two fights with Roger Noguiera and Steve Strongmanhold, I lost by submission. Noguiera had a very obvious Jui Jitsu advantage over me, but I was still confident that I could take him down and ground and pound him out. The fight had started with me stuffing several of his shots, and then me landing mine, my confidence was growing. He got a nice sweep on me, but I was able to neutralize him enough to get a stand up. He did well to catch me in that Guillotine. Steve also was able to catch me in that Rear Naked Choke. Then in my fight with Franjy Izgrate, what a name by the way, say that three times fast *chuckles*, He was able to open up that cut and get the doctor stoppage. I'd be lying if I said going 0-3 wasn't a bit discouraging. Then in my fight with Terrence Titus, I was able for the first time go the full fight and yes I lost by decision, I knew that night it was coming together. I just knew that in my net fight, I was gonna get that long eluded win, and sure enough I TKO'd Paul Jackson in just ten seconds. It was one of the best nights of my life. I felt like... *fights back some tears* finally all my hard work had paid off.

Me: Yes I'd say it did, winning in just ten seconds is impressive by anyone's standards. You not only won that fight, but you managed to rip off nineteen straight wins, including winning Syn's title, and defending it a record nine times.

JS: After I got that first win, I was like a mad man. All I wanted to do was train and fight. Before, training was boring and seemed bothersome, but when I got that win, it was fun and exciting cause I knew it was working. After that first win, it was fourteen fights later that I went the distance again. I finished fights, and I loved doing it. To know that the fans were showing up and buying tickets to watch me fight was even more inspirational. I can't tell you how many children I had come up to me and tell me I was their hero. Me. Do you know what that is like?

Me: No sir, can't say that I do.

JS: OH, right. *chuckles* sorry, but I tell you, talk about a humbling experience. Here is this young child who knows nothing more than your name and that you throw on some good fights, and he looks at you in the same perspective as Superman or Spiderman. It just motivated me that much more to not lose. I didn't want to disappoint all my fans, especially my little fans.

Me: I can imagine it would be humbling. When you lost your fight to Norman Ewert, what was that like? What was going through your head?

JS: After winning and finishing so many fights, it was a wake up call that, Hey, yea I am still human. I can still be beat, but even though I had lost, I can't tell you the amount of support I got from my fans. They all still loved me and that was really uplifting and helpful.

Me: Then in your next fight, you faced another guy who is regarded as one of the best ever, Jesus Gonzalez. He got the best of you that night, and faster than anyone ever has in your career. What was that like, does it haunt you? In fact, he is the only one to have knocked you out.

JS: Jesus was a great fighter. I am a little bummed he declined being in the tournament. He was one hard hitter, let me tell you. All the times before I had been stopped was by a cut or submission, but Jesus was the first time I actually saw stars when someone hit me. Its is an interesting sensation let me tell you. Now I knew what I was putting others through. I vowed to not let that happen again. So far so good. *laughs*

Me: Well I know it is getting late, and you'd probably like to get some rest for your fight. One last question?

JS: Sure fire away.

Me: Will Golden Glory manage a global tour of dominance or will he fall just short?

JS: Thats a tough question...hmmm...well I will say this, he has a good chance to do so if he can get through Mitchell. I know there is a lot of tough competition out there, especially in the Heavyweight division, so I'll be watching for sure. Good luck Glory.

Me: Thank you JS for your time and insight. I wish you the best of luck in this tournament.

JS: Thank you for having me. Hi mom.

• Upvote 2

(Sorry it took so long to get back to you with this Artist. Hectic Week. Hope I'm not stepping on any toes by just posting it rather than sending it back to you.)

1. What does it mean to you to have been voted in as a legend of the sport, and to take part in the Legends tournament?

ELS: I wouldn't be competing anymore if I didn't think I wus one o'the Greatest Fighters of this era.. Tho' I reckon' I ain't quite a legend yet. Hopin' I can put myself a little further down that road with a win in this tourney. It's really an honor to get a chance at KO'ing some of the biggest names the sport has e'er witnessed I tell ya wut.

2. Who was your favorite fighter as you made your way up the rankings, and would you have ever thought yourself to be considered one of the all time greats?

ELS: Outside o'my camp, my Favorite fighter has always been, and will always be, Jesus "Chuey" Gonzalez. As Chico has said a few times, Most fighters would give up children to have half the Dynamite he packs in his Fists. He wus 10-1, 10 finishes before I e'er e'en started my career. No one thumps like Chuey.

3. What would winning the tournament mean to you?

ELS: Winnin' th'tourney is a paycheck Hand. Th'Significance comes in havin' a Dubya over some o'th'Biggest Names in MMA. Really hope I get a chance to put down' that Ole Dogg Jin Sen. I owe'em one for Bishop's Brother Solomon Carver, a fella wut helped mold me into the striker I am t'day.

4. Does being the heavily favored to win add any pressure on you?

ELS: Listen Hand... I'm frum Cut & Shoot, Texas. Where yer either Born Bad or Die Young. Guess which one I wuz? I can't e'en remember th'last time I wuz the underdog, might be m'momma could tell ya... but I gaurantee it wuz at least 10 years b'fo I e'er dipped my paddies in a cage.

5. What did it mean for you to have Mark Wahlburg play you and what you went through in Africa, then set up as the guy who tried to assassinate the President of the United States?

ELS: Thas actually m'Uncle Bobby Lee that Wahlburg played in Shooter. An'et meant a lot, to th'whole family. I wus named after'es Pappi Earl. They toned th'actual story down a tad for th'Movie.. In Real Life there were a lot more Blood, Dope, and Titties.

6. Will Golden Glory complete his conquest of world domination or fall short?

ELS: If e'er it wus gonna happen, it woulda happened already. I think th'game is far too evolved now for anyone to dominate like Glory is aimin' to. Only way a fighter could pull off that kinda' tour this day'en age without takin' a loss is if they were handpickin' and dodgin' opponents, and Glory'as ne'er been one ta'do either o'those things. I think He'll make a good show o'et, an if'n anyone "could" do'et now it'd prolly be him, but there's a bad match up out there fer e'eryone, and e'eryone has a bad night. Especially with'em proclaiming wut he's tryin' ta'do, I think we're gonna see some monsters come outta the woodwork ta'challenge'em.

7. With Muhammed Muhammed's manager not signed in for a couple weeks now, who would be a good replacement in your opinion?

ELS: I really threw m'name into the hat for this tourney for th'opportunity ta'fight Jesus... I'd love for'em ta'step back in an'gimme a chance ta'square up with'em. Jigoro Kane would be another great addition.

• Upvote 1