Of the year awards

So the yearly world MMA awards were held, but everybody knows that they're bullshit. So just mention who you think should've gotten an award in whatever categories you can come up with.

Fighter

Fight

Comeback

Breakthrough

KO

Submission

Whatever other one

My top 3 fights of the year were: Aldo vs Hominick, Edgar vs Maynard 3 and Shogun vs Henderson. I don't really care about the rest but I it's interesting to hear your opinion.

Jon Jones and its isnt even close and i dont really care for him. 3 wins already this year and fights a 4th time next week. What top guy is that active? Has wins over Bader, Rua, Rampage, and maybe Machida. Unless he loses to Machida he has it hands down. If he loses it would go to Dan Henderson. 3 wins verses had beens.

Best fight is Hendo vs Rua. Lots of good fights to choose from though. But also a lot of poser fights. Pillow handed cardio machines slapping each other to a decision isnt my idea of fight of the night. So this one gets my vote.

Biggest comeback: Frankie vs Maynard 2.

Breakout fighter would be Maybe Mark Munoz with Honorable Mention going to Rory MacDonald. Mark faced much tougher comp.

KO of the year Hendo vs Fedor

Sub of the year Richard Hale inverted triangle on Nik Fekete in Bellator.

I propose the "Fort Knox" award. This award goes to the Most Protected Fighter. A fighter who is moved up the championship ladder or rankings without beating anyone to deserve his position. For example Dan Hary was my Fort Knox winner in 2009 with wins over Markham, Davis and Swick and that some how earned him a title shot without beating a Hughes, Koscheck, Fitch, Alves, or even a Serra.

Who would be your Fort Knox fighter of 2011?

Lots of good candidates out there. Lets review some off the top of my head.

Michael Bisping. Has wins over Miller and Rivera this year and is talking about a title shot. Come on.

Nick Diaz. Struggled in his 2 SF fights this year and in his lone UFC fight gets a 155 fighter who doesnt have the cardio to beat anyone. Has dodged anyone who can wrestle for years now. Now is getting a title shot.

Donald Cerrone. 4 fights this year verses opponenets who have never been close to a top 10 ranking. Now is supposed to be a top 3 contender for the belt.

Good picks. I'm not a big Jon Jones fan, but it's hard to argue against him as fighter of the year. Mark Munoz would also be my pick as breakthrough fighter of the year. I'm loosing interest in Ben Askren and if Hector Lombard doesn't step up in competition soon I'm going to lose interest in him as well.

Also the things that I'm going to look foward to in 2012:

Phil Davis and Overeem stepping up in competition.

Hector Lombard stepping up in competition - hopefully

Lawal, Cavalcante and especially Melendez to the UFC - hopefully

More of Rory MacDonald, Chris Weidman, Alexander Gustafsson, Luke Rockhold, Tyron Woodly, Daniel Cormier and Michael Chandler.

But more than anything... Silva vs Sonnen 2

And if I'm missing something please help me out

Fort Knox fighter of the year must be Bisping. He's going down in competition after each win instead of up. They try some crazy things to force a Britt on his way to a title shot. I don't think that Diaz qualifies. Both Penn and Daley in the welterweight top 10 at one point. And what happened to Serra?

KO of the Year IMO should be Barry Kong

Fight of the year Hendo Rua

Fighter of the Year gotta be Jones unless he loses this weekend

Fort Knox fighter is definitely Bisping

Breakthrough fighter, i would say Rory though both he and Munoz are deserving

Comeback of the Year Edgar Maynard 2 maybe Barry Kongo, but Edgar Maynard 2 is more deserving

Submission id say the twister done by the Korean Zombie against Leonard Garcia

Fighter of the year: Jon Jones(dont like him to much but cant deny him his award even if he loses i think he's a canadite)

Fight of the year: Edgar v.s Maynard 2: this fight was great definately one of my all time favorites.(Hendo/Rua was great but not as exciting for me)

Submission: The korean zombie's twister on leonard garcia(not sure if name of submission is right)

KO: John Makdessi spinning backfist on Kyle Watson i was watching and got up and said holy shit that was a great KO.(my mom was really angry at me for cursing)

Fighter - Jon Jones, and I don't really care for him either way, honorable mention to Dan Henderson

Fight - Hendo vs Shogun, Diaz vs Daley

Comeback - Either of the Edgar/Maynard fights

Breakthrough - Mark Munoz for sure, honorable mentions to Anthony Johnson and Rory

KO - Kongo/Barry, it wasn't a spectacular finish in terms of highlight reel stuff, but just the nature of it was surreal.

Submission - This will sound cheap but I'm saying Brandao/Bermudez. It's still fresh in my head, and I know it's only an armbar, again, like Kongo/Barry, it was all about the circumstances. Even my wife screamed at the tv during this one

Fort Knox - Bisping

In 2012 I'm looking forward to Rory MacDonald vs. GSP, Lesnar vs. JDS, Henderson vs. Bones/Machida, the return of BJ Penn to 155, Silva vs. Sonnen II, Mayhem's redemption, Griffin vs. Ortiz III, Edgar defeating someone not named Gray Maynard(yet he will continue to be underrated), and the rise of Paulo Thiago. A bold prediction, but by the end of 2012, of the two longest reigning champions in the UFC, one will not have their belt by the end of next year.

Some of that stuff is out there, but yea, there you have it.

• Upvote 1

I like to add to that prediction that it will be Anderson Silva! Oh yes and how could I have forgotten about Paulo Thiago! I believe that he has a high ceiling. 2012 might be the year of truth for him. We'll see how far he can really go.

Fighter- Jon Jone's no question...and it pains me to say that.

Fight- Take away star names and it's Chandler vs Alvarez, what a fight!

Comeback- Edgar vs Maynard 3

Breakthrough- Daniel Cormier

KO- Silva front kick over Belfort

Submission- Zombie Twister

Fort Knox- Melvin Guillard...even if he did lose to Joe Lauzon

Fighter- Jon Jone's no question...and it pains me to say that.

Fight- Take away star names and it's Chandler vs Alvarez, what a fight!

Comeback- Edgar vs Maynard 3

Breakthrough- Daniel Cormier

KO- Kongo over Barry

Submission- I'm going to go against the grain and say Anderson Silva triangle over Sonnen, becauese of the epic timing...as much as I want to put twister by Zombie.

Fort Knox- Melvin Guillard...even if he did lose to Joe Lauzon

those would be my picks also -- but for breakthrough fighter have to almost consider Jon Jones for that also cause a yr ago he wasnt even talked about much or much less thought to be next champ -- but its hard to give one fighter too awards -- breakthrough is a pretty tough one to pick

No, Jones was smoking hot already after beating Bonnar two years ago. At the time that he fought Vera a lot of people already labelled him as somewhat unstoppable. Jon Jones would've been the breakthrough fighter of 2009 if it wasn't for the more obvious choice of Brock Lesnar. In 2010 he got the award while he should've gotten the Ford Knox award for proving nothing except what everybody already knew in fights against Vera and Matyushenko.

i don't really feel strongly enough about much of em, but i might have to go with knockout of the year for chieck kongo against pat barry. as much as i hate kongo, i don't think any knockout was quite as crazy as that one this year. the crane-kick/face kicks were cool, but just the circumstances of the kongo one made it so much crazier.

for fight of the year it's really a toss-up between alvarez/chandler and edgar/maynard, but i'd prob give it to alvaraz/chandler due to the heavier leather that was being thrown for that whole fight. hendo/rua probably wouldn't even make my top 5, since they gassed out and the pace slowed a lot.

Fighter of the Year - Jon Jones

Fight of the Year - Edgar vs Maynard II (the draw) and Henderson vs Shogun tied.

Comeback of the Year - Chieck Kongo vs Pat Barry or Nick Diaz vs Paul Daley (people forget Diaz was nearly finished twice in that fight).

Breakthrough - Rory MacDonald.

KO - Anderson Silva front kick against Vitor Belfort (the winner by a long distance).

Submission - Korean Zombie's twister on Leonard Garcia.

More irrational hate on Bisping. I love how so many of you guys were confident in the other thread that Mayhem was going to not only beat but stop Bisping and suddenly after Bisping beats him Mayhem is a downgrade from Rivera as an opponent! Such a cop out! You can definately make the case that he's been given an easy route to a potential title shot but the two faced nature of so many people saying Mayhem beats Bisping before the fight and suddenly Mayhem sucks after he gets beaten is pretty lame.

I don't hate Bisping. For the people that dislike him I don't think that it is irrational. He doesn't do much to be very likeable. Not so long ago at the TUF finale he told journalists to fuck off. He rightfully deserves the fort knox award. If there was an award for biggest asshole he would at least be a nominee.

Fighter: Jon Jones. Nobody else comes close.

Fight: Hendo\Shogun for me. Two of my favorite fighters going at it hard for 5 rounds.

Comeback: Kongo\Barry

Breakthrough: Daniel Cormier went from zero to hero in two fights.

KO: Machida vs. Couture.

Submission: Twister

Whatever other one:

Fort Knox: Hector Lombard.

Predictions:

- All current UFC champions will lose their belts by the end of 2012. This includes Jon Jones. At least 4 of these losses will be finishes.

- Dan Henderson retires.

- Fedor goes on a winning streak versus inferior competition.

He explained the fuck off which made me laugh, Joe Rogan being patronizing asking the fans to show him love instead of booing like a teacher asking some 6 year olds to stop being mean

Bisping is a typical northern Brit with his humour, which even most of Britain doesn't get, so its no surprise that people across the globe don't get when he is joking. The rest of the time he is playing to the camera to purposely be a dick and get a reaction

After all, a wise man once said the worst thing that could happen is that Noone cares. Once he realised people weren't taken by him he figured its better to be hated than for people not to care at all. If people pay money to see him win that means they care he keeps his job, if people pay money to see him lose and get beaten that means they care and he keeps his job

Fort Knox Award - Bisping, Guillard or Florian (He walked to the title shot rather than earned it in the division)

Fighter of the Year - Jon Jones, can't stand the guy but can't deny its been a hell of a year

Fight of the Year - Edgar/Maynard II, just ahead of Alvarez/Chandler for me

Comeback of the Year - Edgar/Maynard III for obvious reasons

Sub of the Year - Tied with 3 guys, Jung (Twister) Hale (Inverted Triangle) and Magalhaes (Neck Crank/Gogoplata) and can't decide between them though possibly favour Jung for it being a first

KO of the Year - Silva vs Belfort for being the first ever front kick KO, but closely followed by Freire vs Imada (Bellator 39) as you can almost see the birds flying round his head after the flying knee cartoon style!

Breakthrough of the Year - Has to be Rory MacDonald for me, he has been given increasingly harder matchups and has walked through them all looking more impressive each time

I don't hate Bisping. For the people that dislike him I don't think that it is irrational. He doesn't do much to be very likeable. Not so long ago at the TUF finale he told journalists to fuck off. He rightfully deserves the fort knox award. If there was an award for biggest asshole he would at least be a nominee.

Absolutely, he acts like a total dick, mostly intentionally, but sometimes his actual persona comes across badly. The irrational part is peoples total refusal to give him any credit whatsoever for being a good fighter. As soon as he beats someone people instantly trash the opponent, despite a lot of the time talking up the opponent pre fight. Its just silly IMO. Bisping isn't elite, but he's very good.

i respect Bispings skills he is a good fighter, i just hate him and want to see him get smashed everytime he enters the cage.

Thats fair enough! I feel the same about Nick Diaz. I loathe that piece of shit with every inch of my being, and hate when people who know nothing about boxing claim his boxing is elite standard, but damn he is tough and has sick skills on the ground!

Technically speaking, Diaz's style of boxing works because of his other traits, his endless cardio and iron chin.

Exactly right, Diaz's stand up is 95% about his physical attributes and 5% about technique, he gets away with sucking at boxing because his chin, cardio and natural power are all great. Every punch he throws is dreadful. If he threw punches correctly he'd be devastating because he has natural power where even his sloppy wide arm punches can do damage.

Fighter of the year- Jones

Fight of the year- Hendo vs. Shogun

Comeback of the year- Edgar vs. Maynard 2

KO of the year- Kongo vs. Barry

Submission of the year- Mir vs. Big Nog 2

Upset of the year- Ortiz vs. Bader

Biggest Surprise- Strikeforce being bought by ZUFFA

Round of the year- Kongo vs. Barry

Dominate round without ending the fight- Hominick vs. Aldo round 5.