Media Companies

Beck

Media Companies  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the idea?

Media Companies

I had this idea of introducing media in form of a company to MMATycoon.

I know there is the Tycoon Times, however I am not sure if that does anything for your fighters hype or moral if they’re mentioned in it.

Thats the idea of these social media companies, where you pay a good amount of cash to get a fighters interviewed for either magazines, television, websites and whatever else there is where they can get exposure. And by that exposure, they are getting hype and moral bonuses.

Now there has to be benefits and also measures that will go against people abusing it.

An example of what it could be like.. (keep in mind they are rough numbers, and have to be tweeked by the owner to make sure it works perfectly with the game.)

Television exposure – 25% hype and morale bonus for your upcoming fights ($2500 to get)

Sports Magazine exposure - 15% hype and morale bonus for your upcoming fights ($1500 to get)

Website exposure – 10% hype and morale bonus for your upcoming fights. ($1000 to get)

Of course you’d also need steps that would prevent people to abuse it to get super hyped fighters. I was thinking that you can use 3 methods to do so.

A ) putting a limit on the amount you can buy for a specific duration per fighter. E.G. once every 2 weeks.

B ) putting a limit on the amount of fighters you can buy it for for a specific duraction. E.G. 2 fighters in every 2 weeks.

Or, C ) Having no limits at all, however buying to much would results in the fans getting sick of seeing your fighters everywhere, resulting in a negative hype and morale backlash, therefore meaning the punishment for trying to exploit it results in financial loss and a hype and moral drop.

AND for all the 3 options above, I think it would be best that 1 training session would be dropped due to the fighter participating in the actual media event to get the bonus.

This may bring some more depth to the game and would give people to choice to get some extra hype and moral for a big sum of cash.

As I said, its just an idea and needs tweeking done so don’t be to harsh if you think the numbers I used are unreal :P Feedback is more than welcome, and feel free to add your own ideas to it to make it work.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I am happy to see possitive replies and an all "yes" voted poll so far.

I agree that the cost would have to be pretty high. And the idea of TV stations / PPV Carriers is pretty awesome and would fit in a whole new catagorie by it self.

It really could work as a great addition to the game, and it would be fun to see what kind of PPV deals people would get. Though there is a concern maybe that newbie org's wouldnt be able to get a quick and good PPV deal?

I am happy to see possitive replies and an all "yes" voted poll so far.

I agree that the cost would have to be pretty high. And the idea of TV stations / PPV Carriers is pretty awesome and would fit in a whole new catagorie by it self.

It really could work as a great addition to the game, and it would be fun to see what kind of PPV deals people would get. Though there is a concern maybe that newbie org's wouldnt be able to get a quick and good PPV deal?

most low level orgs in real life dont have PPV deals, those should be essentially reserved for the best orgs in game...just my opinion

• Upvote 1

most low level orgs in real life dont have PPV deals, those should be essentially reserved for the best orgs in game...just my opinion

True, but even the low level orgs can sometimes get some coverage via TV shows, Internet shows etc. PPV carriers would only get deals when a org in the MMA Tycoon universe goes for a PPV event.

Obviously if a TV Show/ PPV carrier chooses to take on a low level hype org, then they could suffer lower number of viewers in the future, of course if an org is willing to pay enough to get coverage on a TV Show/ PPV carrier, then the media company might be able to keep making a steady profit (obviously depending on how big a chance in viewers there is/ how much the org pays).

Added to these new media companies would be a tax, some regions would face higher taxes than others (depending on the number of TV stations/ PPV carriers in that region). This tax would act as a money sink.

There should also be limits to the number of TV stations/ PPV carriers in each region to prevent too many being opened, also could lead to people trying to buy out the media companies.

IMO the regions should be split into continents for PPV Carriers, and cities for TV stations.

All of these are just quickly made up ideas, I know that people might argue with a few of my ideas, but this idea could definately be developed IMO.

• Upvote 3

So what would be required to start a media company? And how about radio and internet media coverage?

I think keeping it limited to just PPV carriers and TV stations would be best for now, it'd mean there'd be less other business (e.g. gyms, nutrition companies, orgs, clothing companies etc).

The prices of setting up a PPV carrier and/or TV station would be extremely high due to the benefits to the org (hype and revenue) and for the benefits of the owner of the PPV carrier/ TV station (potentially high profits).

I say potentially, because if the owner decides to go with a low hyped org on their TV show/ PPV carrier, this could affect the companies viewers in the long run, which would mean less revenue, so the media company owner would have to decide whether the money being offered by the org is high enough to cover any potential loss of revenue in the long run.

PPVs companies would be limited to one PPV a month, TV stations, 1 show a week. This will help prevent these media companies from earning really high profits really quickly.

I'm guessing that the set up cost of PPV company would be at least $1M and the set up cost of a TV station would be $500k. The money used to set up these companies will be used as a money sink, so there will be less excess money in the MMA Tycoon world.

Of course these ideas are just what I think, a lot of things can be made higher or lower

• prices for setting up these companies
  • tax imposed on these companies profits
  • number of companies per region or per city
  • the max/min affect on a orgs hype (most likely determined by a number of factors such as: title fights, hype of fighters fighting, rating of fights, bets on the event, etc)

• 2 weeks later...

True, but even the low level orgs can sometimes get some coverage via TV shows, Internet shows etc. PPV carriers would only get deals when a org in the MMA Tycoon universe goes for a PPV event.

Obviously if a TV Show/ PPV carrier chooses to take on a low level hype org, then they could suffer lower number of viewers in the future, of course if an org is willing to pay enough to get coverage on a TV Show/ PPV carrier, then the media company might be able to keep making a steady profit (obviously depending on how big a chance in viewers there is/ how much the org pays).

Added to these new media companies would be a tax, some regions would face higher taxes than others (depending on the number of TV stations/ PPV carriers in that region). This tax would act as a money sink.

There should also be limits to the number of TV stations/ PPV carriers in each region to prevent too many being opened, also could lead to people trying to buy out the media companies.

IMO the regions should be split into continents for PPV Carriers, and cities for TV stations.

All of these are just quickly made up ideas, I know that people might argue with a few of my ideas, but this idea could definately be developed IMO.

i was mainly referring to the part where he said newbie orgs getting PPV deals, i have nothing against them getting tv deals or things similar to that. just not PPV deals

Might be a good way to get DVD's activated. An org could partner with a media company to create DVD's of an event. The number of cameras and announcers used could effect DVD sales and naturally sales decrease over time. The media company would pay up front money to make the DVD's but also earn a portion of all sales. Contracts with orgs would determine what % goes to the org and media company much like clothing partners. A media company's hype would help sales, but I am not smart enough to think of a proper way for them to earn hype.

Might be a good way to get DVD's activated. An org could partner with a media company to create DVD's of an event. The number of cameras and announcers used could effect DVD sales and naturally sales decrease over time. The media company would pay up front money to make the DVD's but also earn a portion of all sales. Contracts with orgs would determine what % goes to the org and media company much like clothing partners. A media company's hype would help sales, but I am not smart enough to think of a proper way for them to earn hype.

Very cool idea. As far as the how the media company would earn hype I would think it would have to be factored from the hype of the event itself and the amount of advertising they put into it. Limied by diminishing returns and the amount of the hype of the original event of course. Just some thoughts on that off the top of my head

Just thinking about it here is my rough idea of how it could work.

Initial Investment

You start with a blog.

$25k to upgrade to a video blog.

$100k to upgrade to a shortwave radio station.

$200k to upgrade to prime radio.

$300k to upgrade to a local access TV.

$750k to upgrade to a network TV station.

$2 mil to upgrade to a PPV provider.

Naturally noobs would start off as a blog and try to earn the money to upgrade. Big alliances would pool together to be PPV providers or network TV. A large portion of income would go out as payment to business expenses and therefore a money sink would remain in place. No unlimited new money. But, there should be enough profit to make things worth the cost eventually over time.

Business Model

Video blog through Network TV would basically work the same. The big difference would be the cost involved and the profit potential. Think of the initial investment in these as with supplements. Orgs would pay them money to advertise in their blog or radio show. Much like MMA events in-game results would be based on a diminishing returns formula. Ticket sales would go up, but it would depend on company size (blog vs network TV with natural caps), company hype, quality of reporter if on TV or radio, and naturally money spent by the ad company to create the ads.

Reporters would be like gym coaches. Hire one with useless to elite skills for double their weekly salary then pay to keep them. You can hire up to 3 and need one per event. So if you are doing 3 events per week you should have 3 reporters on salary.

Example. I own a local access TV station. A low tier org asks me to produce a $10k advertisement to help get the word out for their next event. I tell them I will do it if they pay me $20k. So, they sign the contract and I end up with $10k. $3.5k of that is lost in my elite 150 reporter's salary. So, now I earned $7.5k. The org ended up selling 5% more tickets. If my company has good hype then maybe that small org which could have sold 1000 tickets on a normal day may have sold 20% more. Minus their ad spending that is an increase of $10k in profit.

Here is the kicker. That % would go down the higher hyped the org is and better the event rating unless the org payed more money for the ad. So, while that small org may have sold 20% more premium tickets NFC spending only $10k in ad production would be lucky to even gain 1% since their audience is larger than the range of my puny station. Only a small % of their fan base would have access to my show. The way companies would compete is how much more than the ad they tack onto the charge and hype. If I am charging 50% more than the ad costs and a more hyped company is charging double ad costs then they better have enough hype to justify that added cost or the orgs won't sell the tickets to cover it.

A hype system would have to be determined by someone smarter than me. You would need to constantly be out there seeking org owners for sell ad space to if they plan to be profitable. 1 org doing 1 event per week will earn a little, but being active and schmoozing every org owner in the city will earn you a real living.

PPV Provider

This would be an option very similar to how PPV's work now where an org owner could choose if he wanted to use the generic or player owned provider. The org would still pay $300k per hour and the provider would also pay $300k per hour. This is production cost which the two companies are splitting evenly. Same goes for the announcer cost and cameras. All costs are equal for both companies. You might not be so quick to accept the noob org's offer to host their PPV, but an org like NFC would be a great contract to land. Much like with generic PPV's you also split sales evenly. Here is where there is a difference.

1st, much like with the lower tier companies you can spend money to advertise and increase PPV buys. Nothing huge, but a profitable PPV needs to sell enough to cover the $500k for 1 hour with maximum announcers and cameras. Maybe 100k in ads will increase sales 15%. That is $75k for the org and $75k more for the PPV provider. It would be up to the event contract how much of that $100k in ads is spent by which company. On top of that is DVD sales. The event contract would set the price for DVD's which will effect how many are sold and what % of the profits go to which company. $4 from each sale comes out of the provider's pocket for production costs, so they will want to keep that in mind when they set the profit % and price in the contract. Event rating and org hype will effect sales and sales diminish over time as was originally intended when Mike 1st added the idea into wiki. If the company closes sales stop completely, since no one is around to produce the DVD's.

Thoughts? It is late and I changed some things as I was typing and may have forgotten to change other things that would have made more sense. So, if onepart doesn't fit another that is why. :P

Brilliant! I have a few thoughts and so on for this as well.

1. 25K seems way too much for starting a video blog. I would think that a video blog shouldn't really cost anymore than a regular blog. I can start a video blog in real life for under $100. I understand that you were just throwing numbers out there as an example and that there should be SOME outlay of capital for this otherwise what exactly would be the point. But I think 25K is a bit much.
  2. Having to smooge the orgs and other companies in the city would be rough. perhaps your media company could be added to high street instead. If I was booking an event for my org then I would look on high street to see which media outlet was best for my need and budget. It would also help to ensure that the prices stay competitive while not allowing someone to dupe a new org owner into thinking they are getting a good deal when in reality they are getting gouged.
  3. Advertising space. I think that, again accessed from high street, that media companies can do more than just broadcast fights. They can also sell advertising. The gyms, nutrition companies, and clothing companies, could also buy advertising slots on your PPV. Numbers off the top of my head would be say two slots per hour (realistically more than probably, but...) that can be sold for a variable amount of money set by the media company. Now set it too high for a low hyped event and no one will buy add space, set it too low and you loose out on potential earnings. I am not sure how I would do the rates, but I would think it should be tied to the size/type of media outlet, and the amount of hype of the event. Which in turn could also be affected by the amount of advertising the org payed for. This amount should also be somewhat variable according to the whims of the media company owner, but perhaps a range can be set. Again not sure how I would do this exactly, jusst throwing ideas out and seeing what can be developed.

What do you guys think?

Here is what i think on this:

1) The prices for the video blog would need to be far lower, however the price from there on out i am fine with

2) All the media companies based in a city would need to be listed somewhere on highstreet so orgs or other business can compare prices

3) should PPV providers be limited to one org or can they service multiple orgs?

Here is what i think on this:

1) The prices for the video blog would need to be far lower, however the price from there on out i am fine with

2) All the media companies based in a city would need to be listed somewhere on highstreet so orgs or other business can compare prices

3) should PPV providers be limited to one org or can they service multiple orgs?

The first two are pretty much what I was saying although worded much more succinctly. The last one, I would think that they should be open to all orgs but with the limit that Eveas put in there perhaps. maybe only three per month (week) Otherwise they would be allowed too much money. The number three is somthing he just threw out I think but it is a good starting point I guess. It could go to four maybe (one per in game week) but beyond that... That would allow for multiple media comanies to be able to compete without one becoming a monopoly.

The first two are pretty much what I was saying although worded much more succinctly. The last one, I would think that they should be open to all orgs but with the limit that Eveas put in there perhaps. maybe only three per month (week) Otherwise they would be allowed too much money. The number three is somthing he just threw out I think but it is a good starting point I guess. It could go to four maybe (one per in game week) but beyond that... That would allow for multiple media comanies to be able to compete without one becoming a monopoly.

I think it would be better (personally) if media companies were handled like merch partners. Say each org is allowed 1 media company to cover its events, fighters etc. That way, you dont have to worry about the PPV per week limit because i highly doubt that anytime in the near future an org will run 2 PPV's in a weekend. however, the limit is a good idea if media companies dont get handled like merch partners.

Another thought i had was maybe have the announcers be handled like reporters for PPV events only. You would hire a team of announcers (rated from 1-150) based on skill, chemistry, and general ability to announce. The better the announcers maybe get a slight boost to event rating? (just a couple of points at most here)

Also, you would probably need someway to rank the quality of each different type of company. ie hype for each media company, this would be especially important on the lower end because there are a lot more lower level orgs than higher level. plus higher level orgs have their choice of whoever they want anyway as money is almost no object to them. so in essence a type of ranking/rating system from the prime radio station down would be more important than the TV related media companies

1 You are right I was just pulling numbers out of my butt.

2 When I said smooge I meant you can't just sign a 1 year contract and forget about them while profits are automated. You would sell services for 1 event at a time though they can buy services for as many events as they have booked. Each one is just a separate transaction. I agree it should be in the highstreet. You are right.

3 Sounds fun. When you hire a company to advertise your event they also get broadcast rights and can sell as space to companies to boost hype based on event viewers? Maybe for TV and higher companies? They might also all be able to sell generic add for minor hype not tied to events.

I was on my phone earlier and didn't see the other replies. I am not too sure about locking in a contract with 1 org. It limits the options for the company owner quite a bit. I understand nutrition companies partner with gyms and clothing partners with orgs, but they also have business outside their partnerships that can help keep them active and busy. I do think maybe limiting you to only being able to do business in your city might be a good idea to some degree. Not thought it through with any pros and cons, so might be a good or bad idea.