check this out

Lockdown

In April of 2012*, two amateur fighters made their debut in Chicopee, MA. In a bizarre series of events, Justin Kristie locked up a triangle and David Baxter appeared to tap out, then go unconscious as the round ended. Baxter then convulsed, but came to as Kristie and his team were celebrating. After some discussion between the referee and ringside officials, Baxter was allowed to continue and actually won the fight in the second round by TKO.

The story was covered by
when it happened and the resulting thread received over 30,000 views and video of the fight received over 300,000 views on Youtube when it went viral on several MMA websites.

Most of the discussion centered around the referee's decision to allow the fight to continue, whether or not the fighter fell unconscious before or after the end of the round. Today we learn that the Massachusettes State Athletic Commission has voted to change the decision of the bout to a no-contest.

So UG, what do we think? Is a no-contest the right decision, or should have Justin Kristie been given the win? Watch the video again and decide for yourself.

Start at 4:00 or so

http://www.mixedmart...=2102809&page=1

A no contest is the right decisions. You cant let fighters who are knocked out like that continue. This time it worked out. The next time th eguy might die. Not worth the risk. That said. Once the guy was knocked out and the round ended the revf should have called an end of the bout between rounds. So the guys lost at that point. His opponnent should have got the win. To allow the outcome to stand would screw the guy who really should have won over a flaw. The guy showed a lot of heart by coming back to finish the fight but that doesnt mean he shouldnt have lost or the other guy should be punished by not getting his result. It would be hard to give the opponent the win that he should have got at this point. So the best thing to do is not give him a loss.

I think to understand this decision you have to understand what goes on when a fighter thinks he has won a fight. There is a sense of relief and many other emotions that come into play. When a fighter thinks he has won and then has to fight again, it has happened many times in MMA, most seem to never get back their focus. The never say die mentality is replaced by the thought of "i have already won. Why do i have to put myself through this pain still". They dont have the same heart or desire. In their mind they have nothing left to prove vs a guy who is now hellbent on redemption. So it leads to a complete reversal of fortune. Rarely does the original winner pick up where he left off.

With that in mind it is very easy to see how the guy after winning ended up losing. A loss that might not have ever happened under normal circiumstances. So its hard to charge him with that loss.

I would also like to add that because of the situation he got much more than the 1 minute break between rounds. He was still on the ground at 1 minute and the next round didnt start until 1:30 had passed. That alone should have been cause for the fighter to be ruled unable to continue. Hell might as well let him go back to his hotel room and rest and start the next round the next day. If you are not going to be strict on the break between rounds then no fights would ever be stopped. Cuts and injuries checked between rounds would just postpone the fight to a later time when they can pick up where they left off. That is crazy and any ref should have known better.

For me that is clearly a punch not a tap. The ref should have stop the fight when that guy was clearly unconscious or the physician should have stop that. Do referees train or attend medical backgrounds so they would have an idea when to stop a fight?

No. I mean a ref can choose to learn that on their own but it isnt required. Really the ring side Doctor should have not allowed him to continue. But the ref should have enough common sense to know when a fighter is out cold like that he cant keep fighting. even if the Doc was a fool. For both to ignore his convulsing on the ground is very strange. But making a decision on the fly in a never before seen situation is tough. So its good the commission went back and fixed this as to not aset a precedent to allow a fighter to continue if it happens again.

there is another related incident

Sean Bollinger, 10th planet black belt, fought Randy Couture's son Ryan Couture back in 2010. He locked in a triangle choke and Couture's arm went limp, but he recovered quickly and was allowed to fight...it went to a draw after the 3rd round.

Go to 5:55. It happened right at the end of the round....but you can clearly see his right arm go limp. Pretty fucking crazy

there is another related incident

Sean Bollinger, 10th planet black belt, fought Randy Couture's son Ryan Couture back in 2010. He locked in a triangle choke and Couture's arm went limp, but he recovered quickly and was allowed to fight...it went to a draw after the 3rd round.

Go to 5:55. It happened right at the end of the round....but you can clearly see his right arm go limp. Pretty fucking crazy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J52umuuh8M

I saw the limping but a very tough decision to make.

• 2 weeks later...