ufc 158

Lockdown

i understand GSP's reasoning. many ppl argue that Hendricks lost the fight to Koscheck (GSP included). GSP has already fought Koscheck and beat him thoroughly. GSP has never fought Diaz before. so i can see why'd he'd rather take that fight. it's more to prove. plus it'll be a much bigger payday to fight Diaz.

my personal take on it is that Johny Hendricks ISNT the #1 contender. Hendricks openly says he is a lot. but in my opinion he's not. the reason why i feel that way is because im one of the ones that believes that he lost to Koscheck. so that cast doubt in my mind and Hendricks only win since then is against a perennial tweener like Martin Kampmann. so im not sure that im ready to buy on Hendricks just yet. give me one more fight where he looks good and i'll be on the hendricks bandwagon. right now im reluctant because i believe he lost to koscheck, and koscheck is his biggest win.

Diaz on the other hand lost to condit. many ppl thought he won the fight. so you flip the coin on that controversial decision and all of the sudden you'd be having a superfight conversation.

• Upvote 1

i understand GSP's reasoning. many ppl argue that Hendricks lost the fight to Koscheck (GSP included). GSP has already fought Koscheck and beat him thoroughly. GSP has never fought Diaz before. so i can see why'd he'd rather take that fight. it's more to prove. plus it'll be a much bigger payday to fight Diaz.

my personal take on it is that Johny Hendricks ISNT the #1 contender. Hendricks openly says he is a lot. but in my opinion he's not. the reason why i feel that way is because im one of the ones that believes that he lost to Koscheck. so that cast doubt in my mind and Hendricks only win since then is against a perennial tweener like Martin Kampmann. so im not sure that im ready to buy on Hendricks just yet. give me one more fight where he looks good and i'll be on the hendricks bandwagon. right now im reluctant because i believe he lost to koscheck, and koscheck is his biggest win.

Diaz on the other hand lost to condit. many ppl thought he won the fight. so you flip the coin on that controversial decision and all of the sudden you'd be having a superfight conversation.

It's all about the money. Any way you put this, their matching up a fighter off of a loss for a title shot with GSP. What other reason other than big money would you do that?

Whether many people thought Diaz won or not, he didn't. Diaz left it in the hands of the judges and when they made their decision he cried like a little baby in the cage. Made a fake retirement deploy and cried. If you rely on the judges then you're dumber than the decision they make.

yeah it's definately about the money. but you can make an argument for either fighter getting the shot. in the end i believe the best fight was made and im glad that the UFC does that. many ppl like to complain about it, but i think it's great that the UFC puts a lot of focus on booking the most anticipated fights

yeah it's definately about the money. but you can make an argument for either fighter getting the shot. in the end i believe the best fight was made and im glad that the UFC does that. many ppl like to complain about it, but i think it's great that the UFC puts a lot of focus on booking the most anticipated fights

I don't know. I'd personally rather see GSP fight Hendricks because Hendricks has the power Diaz doesn't and Hendricks has the wrestling Diaz doesn't.

I think either fight would end with GSP on top of the other fighter smothering him and doing some decent GnP. The thing I don't like with GSP is that he does enough to win but never enough to finish a fight. It gets a bit boring and repetitive.

Diaz won't be able to bully GSP in the cage like he does others because GSP has a stiff jab that will crush your orbital. Lol. And he won't be able to submit GSP on the mat because GSP is so strong and controlling on the mat that he can easily hold off submissions. On top of that, everyone knows Diaz's weak spot is getting taken down which is GSP's best area.

Hendricks I think would be in the same boat. The only difference I see with Hendricks is that he has the chance to keep the fight standing with his wrestling and land the KO punch. I don't think he would as GSP's takedowns are by far the most explosive in MMA, but that's a better chance than Diaz has.

GSP will take him down then Diaz will start whining and dropping his hands begging GSP to hit him where he will then get taken down again. He will lose, because mentally he is very weak against GSP's style of fighting.

You mean that he easily gets frustrated. Yes, I agree with that. It doesn't have anything to do with GSP's fighting style. He got frustrated against Condit as well.

Although i disagree with you on who won the Koscheck fight. I dont see how you can discredit him over a fight that was close. Wether he barly won or barely lost or it was adraw. It shouldnt have any effect on him either way. When a fight is close it is like it didnt happen as it didnt hurt or help. BUt in this case even calling it a draw it speaks valumes to Hendricks as Kos is a hard fight for anyone. You curtainly cant put Kos above him based on their other fights. Hendricks shouldnt have to run off 100 straight wins to be #1 contender in this age where guy only win 3 fights if they even come off a win at all. Fitch was perential top 2-5. Kampman as much as i hate the guy and he stuggles with everyone always falls in shit and comes out smelling like a rose. He does win and was a top ranked fighter. Hendricks did to both of them what no one has ever done. Even Paul Daley couldnt put Kampman down(Kampamn was out on his feet). I dont see how you can argue anyone being ahead of Hendricks.

Keep in mind some feel Koscheck lost to Pierce. So Condit and Diaz are coming off a loss and neither of them have beat anyone close to what Hendricks has. You cant put Fitch above him or Koscheck or Kampman. Ellanburger lost to Kampman so he is down the list a little ways. I understand why you might be reserved on buying into Hendricks. BUt i dont understand how you can put anyone above him as being next for the title shot. He has been way better in his wins verses top level fighters and even in his worse fights he looks better than everyone else.

GSP's reasoning? Who gives a flying turd about GSP's reasoning. UFC should give him the number one contender. GSP's feelings are irrelevant.

touche. why do you put so much value on Johny Hendricks reasoning then? after all i've not once heard Dana White say that Johny Hendricks is the #1 contender. so why is Hendricks reasoning more important than GSP's? it's all opinion

Although i disagree with you on who won the Koscheck fight. I dont see how you can discredit him over a fight that was close. Wether he barly won or barely lost or it was adraw. It shouldnt have any effect on him either way. When a fight is close it is like it didnt happen as it didnt hurt or help. BUt in this case even calling it a draw it speaks valumes to Hendricks as Kos is a hard fight for anyone. You curtainly cant put Kos above him based on their other fights. Hendricks shouldnt have to run off 100 straight wins to be #1 contender in this age where guy only win 3 fights if they even come off a win at all. Fitch was perential top 2-5. Kampman as much as i hate the guy and he stuggles with everyone always falls in shit and comes out smelling like a rose. He does win and was a top ranked fighter. Hendricks did to both of them what no one has ever done. Even Paul Daley couldnt put Kampman down(Kampamn was out on his feet). I dont see how you can argue anyone being ahead of Hendricks.

Keep in mind some feel Koscheck lost to Pierce. So Condit and Diaz are coming off a loss and neither of them have beat anyone close to what Hendricks has. You cant put Fitch above him or Koscheck or Kampman. Ellanburger lost to Kampman so he is down the list a little ways. I understand why you might be reserved on buying into Hendricks. BUt i dont understand how you can put anyone above him as being next for the title shot. He has been way better in his wins verses top level fighters and even in his worse fights he looks better than everyone else.

just look at Diaz's position though. he was the strikeforce champion and unbeaten for some time. they brought him over to originally fight GSP but it never happened. the UFC put Penn in front of him and he smashed him. then put Condit in front of him and it was a super close fight. then Condit went on to put on a hell of a tough fight against GSP....on the other hand you have Hendricks who struggled mightely against Koscheck who GSP steam rolled. so the way i look at it, Diaz took a really close loss to Condit, that could have just as easily been scored a win. that means more to me than Hendricks squeaking by Koscheck. becaus Condit is a tougher opponent and both fights were controversial.

for many ppl that had Diaz winning the Condit fight, there's no question who the #1 contender is. no question

• Upvote 1

just look at Diaz's position though. he was the strikeforce champion and unbeaten for some time. they brought him over to originally fight GSP but it never happened. the UFC put Penn in front of him and he smashed him. then put Condit in front of him and it was a super close fight. then Condit went on to put on a hell of a tough fight against GSP....on the other hand you have Hendricks who struggled mightely against Koscheck who GSP steam rolled. so the way i look at it, Diaz took a really close loss to Condit, that could have just as easily been scored a win. that means more to me than Hendricks squeaking by Koscheck. becaus Condit is a tougher opponent and both fights were controversial.

for many ppl that had Diaz winning the Condit fight, there's no question who the #1 contender is. no question

GSP stream rolled Kos? By decision? lol ok! He beat cans in Strikeforce. It was a really shitty division. Hell he cant even beat a wrestler of any kind. When SF wanted him to fight woodley he threatened to take a vacation. Just to avoid fighting him. IS there anyone at 170 in the top 20 who Penn can beat? I cant think of one. Penn is just aname to get people over on unsuspecting fans. Thye just did it again with Rory. Even Dana is saying Penn should retire. Diaz failed at everything he traied to do vs Condit. He easily lost that fight. Either way what any of our feelings are on the decisions. The decision is official. Thats what the fights are supposed to be made by. Hendricks beat Kos and Condit beat Diaz. Changing the outcome to our own personal feelings doesnt make any sense at all. Put Penn in with Hendricks and Penn doesnt make it to a decision.

Hendricks has 4 wins over CURRENT top 15 fighters and Diaz has zero wins over top 15 fighters.

touche. why do you put so much value on Johny Hendricks reasoning then? after all i've not once heard Dana White say that Johny Hendricks is the #1 contender. so why is Hendricks reasoning more important than GSP's? it's all opinion

No, I don't care about Hendricks reasoning either. I don't care about any of their stupid opinions. I want to see the number one contender fight the champion.

What it all boils down to is GSP knows Hendricks is the worst figth out there for him. I have been saying for a while GSP will get KO'ed. HE took the easiest fight. Pretty pathetic a champion is out there picking his own fights. Thats not a champion in my book. A champ fights anyone. Dana allowed it because he is a Diaz ass kisser and it is a bigger money fight right now. Even though Diaz should be at least 2-3 wins from a title shot. GSP and his champ trying to justify Diaz as being the #1 contender makes him a Chump not a Champ! I will LMAO if Diaz catches him. Hendricks is getting a tough opponent. He gets stud after stud and wrestler after wrestler and Diaz some how managers to avoid them all. What a joke!

im blown away by ppl's ability to not realize that the ordinary blue collar guy is always going to have a longer road to the top than the flamboyant moutpiece.

i also have a hard time understanding ppl's inabililty to realize that when you have 2 guys vying for the same spot, the senior guy 95% of the time gets the position.

but ultimately, going with Diaz, you'll have the oppurtunity to make 2 big fights happen. it's more of a now or never situation with Diaz and GSP. where as Hendricks and GSP can wait because that fight will still be there down the road. why not capatilize on 2 big fights vs only 1?

it all boils down to butts in the seat and eyes on the screen. if you cant produce both then you're gonna just have to be that much more spectacular in the cage. look at Brock Lesnar. he did little in the cage to deserve a title shot. yet he was a big draw so he climbed up the ladder at lightspeed. in the end, all this #1 contender stuff is a joke to create interest and drama for fights and fighters that cant create interest for themselves. the only time #1 contender even comes into play in matchmaking is when there's nothing else exciting going on. that's when ownership stands up and says "hey, look at this guy and who all he's beaten! He's #1 contender!". but in reality he's only getting the shot because he's the only thing on the table.....if Diaz wasnt available then Hendricks would have gotten the shot for sure because he'd be the last resort #1 contender

bottomline is #1 contender is the least exciting storyline and always goes in as the final option. the ufc has used it a lot because it was their only option. but the instant that a grudge match oppurtunity pops up, BOOM! that fight happens.

Yes Hendricks definitely needs to be more spectacular. He needs to start knoccing out multiple Top 10 opponents who've never been ko'ed in a combined total of 20 seconds or less. Under a combined minute is already sumthing Diaz duz ALL the time....

Remind me wen he did that again?

I'm sure the money is a fine curtain to hide behind. I luv GSP, but he ducced Bigg Rigg. I'm not saying Johnny for sure wins. But he's def more of a threat than Diaz. If anything I would have luved to see Diaz/Hendricks. But as Brain said, in a div stacced with wrestlers, sumhow Diaz evades them all for a strap shot.

And actually Dana didn't say Johnny wuz #1 contender, but he did say kampmann/Hendricks wuz a contender match.

Interesting Story. But the UFC has always stuck to the contender list unless they can justify the popular match uP. Brock was the best available option at the time because guys were hurt. Chael got Jones because Boone wanted the fight with Jones and Rampage turned down the coaching spot. There is no way they can justify this fight. If Diaz wins after coming off a loss it tarnishes the belt. It sends a very bad message to have Hendricks beat 3 top 5 guys in a row and pass him over for someone who has t done anything impressive that washed out of the UFC before.

I understand they wanted this fight before they lose it. But the time for that was over when Diaz blew his chance. Now you fuck over the entire division fOr someone who fucked over the UFC and didn't show up the last time he got his shot? That's crazy and I have never seen anything like this ever before in the UFC.