Jon Fitch Cut from UFC

I think some of the things Dana has done could have been done by others with money backing them. But i dont think they could have done what he has done in the long run. The reason i say that is Dana made decisions in the past that wasnt real popular with hardcore fans. For example the TV deal. He promised a tv deal was coming and he expected it to be within the year. He would say that year after year. But something always come up. The problem was Dana was real picky on the deal he accepted. He knew this one the sports only chance and a bad tv deal would kill the sport. He finally got the right deal with Spike TV. While other promotions jumped on any deal they could get. Elite XC with Showtime and IFL with My Network were losing about $1 million for every event they airred live.

People also need to remember that without Dana then Frank and Lorenzo doesnt buy the UFC. It was Dana who was involved with the sport and found out it was for sale and went to them and got them to buy it. Its not like They just come across it and put Dana in charge. Dana was responsible for it going down period.

There is also the hard stance he has taken against fighters. Fans dont like it but as a business and a sport it imo was very important. Specifically in controling salary inflation. Fighters always want more than the guy they beat. So it is important you dont have to many over paid lower level guys. There becomes a time you have to put your foot down and bring costs back under control. If it stays out of control it can drive them out of business and effect their expansion into other markets how much they can spend on fighting to make the sport legal, etc. Does the hypothetical Dana replacement take this stance that made Dana the bad guy? What effect would it have? Dana lost Pulver and Bustamante fighting this inflation. He even lost Penn for a while because he wanted Hughes money since he beat Hughes. We see what not taking this stance does in other sports. It leads to lock outs and strikes and salary caps.

I dont agree with everything Dana does. But i see his reasoning for the decision he makes. That is the difference between me and the "haters". Dana owns 9% of Zuffa and has spent much of his life dedicated to the UFC. He isnt going doing stupid shit and putting it at risk for shits and giggles. I didnt agree with how he acted in the Jon Fitch video game rights fiasco. But i did think he was right but could have handled it better. But i see why he did what he did. He wanted a great video game for the UFC and its fans. Fans wanted this great game also. The only thing keeping it from happening is if the UFC fighters get selfish and sign with a rival company killing the offial UFC game or the UFC game not having any fighters on it. Jon Fitch was being very short sighted. That game deal was going to make the UFC and its fighters a ton of fans which increases everyone salary and sponsorship money. To be honest if i had an employee who did what Jon Fitch did i would have fired him too. But when it takes place in the public eye everyone makes a big deal about it. EA was trying to kill the UFC game. They had already turned the sport down once. Now the UFC's own employee was about to work with the rival to hurt his own company. That guy would have been fired in any type of business. I would liked if Dana tries to work it out with him first. But Fitch knew he could be cut at any time and knew what he was risking. Both guys were within their rights. I see both guys side to what they were faced with and why each did what they did. Problem is Fitch did something he immediately regreted once he got fired when he knew that it would happen.

I think people also put to much into Dana public personality. There is a reason he talks shit to every company and fighter he crosses paths with and they all end up coming back and working with him. Every single one of them. Its because that isnt how he is in private when he is dealing with them. All the shit he said about EA and they still come back and are working together like it never happened. He signed an extention with Showtime, and how many fights did Tito get after their grudge start? So everything people claim he does that hurts the sport they have no proof it actually does. Its always hypothetical damage. Or one day it will do this or that. The guy knows what he is doing and the results speak for themselves.

• Upvote 1

At first, this move pissed me off. It is obvious that Dana has always disliked Fitch. Dana feels like he should be able to force fighters to fight the style that he wants them to fight. He refused to give him a second shot at the title when he clearly earned it. Its quite obvious that Dana waited for the tiniest excuse possible to get rid of him.

However, the more I think about it, the more I think it will be good for Fitch. As it stands right now, if Fitch were to stay in the UFC, they would be wanting to hand him high risk, low reward fights against skilled prospects with no name draw in order to help push prospects. He could easily lose a few more fights and be considered all but done in the sport.

Instead, he is going to WSOF, where he will likely be matched up with guys with big names who are well past their prime. He'll get a few wins against big names and boost his stock. During his explanation of Fitch's release, Dana said that Fitch will be back if he strings together a few wins. He also said that there is nobody outside the UFC who Jon Fitch will likely lose to. Add two and two together and it adds up for Fitch getting some easy wins, then returning to UFC.

I'm sure he will get paid a lot less doing this than he would on his $60k+ UFC contract, but it will probably benefit his career.

So you are happy because Fitch can fraud fans of the sport? That really is retarded and the biggest fan boy bullshit I have ever read. If a fighter is t good enough I do t want to see him. To be happy he can win meaningless fights verses has beene and avoid prospect who can beat him is beyond words. Who are you his mother?

You say Dana should t released him them say he could lose to prospects. Well if he can't beat the champ or the top 10 Or rookies. Then he should be in the UFC period. Let alone making 6 figures.

Hahahaha OMFG!!!! Thought I would never see the day I with TUF was never created.

• Downvote 2

So you are happy because Fitch can fraud fans of the sport? That really is retarded and the biggest fan boy bullshit I have ever read. If a fighter is t good enough I do t want to see him. To be happy he can win meaningless fights verses has beene and avoid prospect who can beat him is beyond words. Who are you his mother?

You say Dana should t released him them say he could lose to prospects. Well if he can't beat the champ or the top 10 Or rookies. Then he should be in the UFC period. Let alone making 6 figures.

Hahahaha OMFG!!!! Thought I would never see the day I with TUF was never created.

Do you have fat fingers or what? Most of your posts make no sense with all the typos.
  • Upvote 3

Do you have fat fingers or what? Most of your posts make no sense with all the typos.

It's devolution. Each sentense is more incoherent as the previous and if possible more douchy. At the end you get something like this:

not gonna lie i was shook when i saw that big ass quote

It's just scary. I'm pretty sure that the unabomber started this way. The only difference is that the unabomber was of superior intelligence when BrainSmasher must be at the same height on the other side of the bell curve.

Its dark where i work and i dont use proper typing hand position(fastest index fingers on the net). So i lose my position in the dark.

I wish Tank Abbott would keep fighting cans so i can think he is the greatest in the world in my head. Nope i cant say that with a straight face even though he is my favorite fighter and only favorite fighter. It is beyond stupid. Its one thing to just want him to win or just want him to fight. But to fraud his way back into the UFC and take someone more deservings job is completely retarded and shows a complete lack of respect for the sport. If Tank cant beat top level guys he should get back to the UFC. The same goes for Fitch. I have had training partners i knew very well who was released from the UFC and only lost to top level fighters. Mostly top 10. I didnt piss and moan about it. He lost. Thats how the real world works. To get back he has to prove he is good enough. I wouldnt want him back in the UFC until i knew he was good enough and consistant to deserve to be there.

Fitch is a great fighter. How else did he put together such an impressive UFC record? If anyone is making a fraud of the UFC, it is the UFC itself. Right now we have Sonnen and Diaz both fighting for titles coming off of losses. Edgar just got a title shot coming off of two losses. Meanwhile, Fitch didn't get a rematch for the title despite putting together a five fight winning streak after his title loss. The sport is turning into professional wrestling where your ability to talk trash and start a fake feud in the media are more important than your ability to win fights.

Fitch is a great fighter. How else did he put together such an impressive UFC record? If anyone is making a fraud of the UFC, it is the UFC itself. Right now we have Sonnen and Diaz both fighting for titles coming off of losses. Edgar just got a title shot coming off of two losses. Meanwhile, Fitch didn't get a rematch for the title despite putting together a five fight winning streak after his title loss. The sport is turning into professional wrestling where your ability to talk trash and start a fake feud in the media are more important than your ability to win fights.

Bigfoot and Overeem looked pretty much real to me

I never said Fitch wasnt a good fighter. My comment was at you saying he shouldnt need to prove he is a good fighter. I do think he is good and doesnt need to fight like a fraud as you suggested. Anyone who ever fights like you said should never be reward with a UFC invite. The UFC should be where the best fighters in the world fight. To say this...

As it stands right now, if Fitch were to stay in the UFC, they would be wanting to hand him high risk, low reward fights against skilled prospects with no name draw in order to help push prospects. He could easily lose a few more fights and be considered all but done in the sport.

Instead, he is going to WSOF, where he will likely be matched up with guys with big names who are well past their prime.

like it is a good thing is one of the worst things i have ever read by a fan. It actually makes his skills, and all other fighters skills, and the entire UFC. Pointless. Why are we watching if that is all the sport consist of is manufactured fighters with fake resumes? Now im not saying that doesnt already go on. It does to a small extent. In some cases its needed to keep fan interest with a fight here and there. BUt a fan should never be content with these happening to the point of embracing the practice. I would never want my friends, training partners, or favorite fighters to be in the UFC if they didnt belong. IF all it took to be a UFC fighters was to do what Jason Rienhardt did. Then everyone would be UFC fighters. I actually like Fitch. He is a blue color fighter who works hard. But when he are not a good finisher or not exciting you are on a shorter leash than anyone else. Thats life. It may not be fair but you and I are just as guilty as the UFC. If fans paid their money for him as much as other more exciting fighters he wouldnt be released. So the reality of it is guys like Fitch, Tim Sylvia, Kevin Randleman will not be allowed to lose as often as others. They will also have to win more fights to get Title shots. It isnt the UFC' fault. They have the same system for everyone and its based on who the fans want to see. So we only have our selves (fans) to blame.

I have seen Fitch fight in person 2 times. Lucky for me it was before he got better opponnents and had to fight conservatively. Ironically the first fight i saw was the year of his last finished fight almost 6 years ago. I have spent thousands of dollars to travel to see Tank in his comeback fight at 43, tons of money to see Franklin/Hughes/Couture at 68, same for Hendo/Silva at 82, Chuck at 88, Rampage at 96, Couture at 118. But i would never pay that kind of money to see Jon Fitch fight if he was the headliner. Thats a fact. I dotn hate him. I respect him and him being on the undercard doesnt turn me away. But i do see he has limited value. Sorry for the long reply.

I want to adress a few more things you mentioned. Winning fights doesnt get you an auto title shot. Where in the UFC hand book does it say this? Fans want to piss and moan when their fighter tries to con his way to a title shot. Like when Jim Miller won a bunch of fights in a row. He didnt beat anyone so he had to use the technicality of quantity over quality. The only ranked guy Fitch ever beat was Alves which he had already beat before. He didnt beat anyone impressively. There was tons of ranked guys and he never beat any of them.

If you dont like Sonnen or Diaz getting the match then dont buy it. The fact it sells is why the UFC sets it up. I dont agree with Diaz getting the fight as there is new blood for GSP to fight and Diaz isnt deserving. But i do realize the UFC has to take its big money fights when they are presented to them. Since this isnt typical of GSP i can give them a fight once in a while at this division. Now if we were 2-3 undeserving fighters in a row it would be different. I dont have a problem with the Chael fight. Jones needs contenders and the only way to get it is they need time to get wins. It wasnt the UFC's fault Dan got hurt or their fault Rampage refused to do TUF and left them in a jam. In the end this is one fight and isnt going to make a world of difference. Curtainly not a bad fight at that. People just bitch to be bitching. I have followed the sport a logn time and this is far from the first fight like this. Divisions become stale and these fights buy it time. With out that TIME every division turns into GSP vs Dan Hardy. The UFC ran out of contenders and was taking anyone who could muster a win. The UFc relied on cans and rematches until GSP got hurt and bought all the other fighters time. Now we have tons of fights for him. Probabley a dozen who are more credibile than Hardy at his peak. These fights are good for both fighters, the division, the UFC, and the fans.

Edgar got a title shot coming off two loses. So what? Many people thought he won those fights. Also who was more deserving than he was for that title shot? Noone has heard of anyone else in the division. In order to built those new weight class' Aldo has to beat people with credibility regardless of what division he come from. As we seen Edgar was his toughest fight. So apparently "deserving it" isnt all what it is cracked up to be. There always has and always will be a business side to building the fighters you watch. Without it you would not be watching and noone would have ever heard of the fighters. You cant just have a champ fighters some guy noone has ever heard of in perpetuity. IF they passed on every fight that made fans excited then there would only be a few thousands fans watching like the old days.

Lets be honest without selves here. Fitch wasnt beating the best guys to get this rematch with GSP. I also would call his dependance on judges the most honorable way to win or most rewarding. When Hendricks KO'ed Fitch everyone wanted to see him get a title shot. There was never a point after any Fitch win where fans demanded to see that fight. You cant fight like that and expect to jump over people who do finish fights. This isnt the fault of the "Evil Empire". Its just how the world works. The Spurs are the best team year in and year old for the last decade. Yet they are always over looked because they are boring and no one gives a fuck about them. There isnt any point bitching about it because you cant change human nature. People just dont want to see it.

I never said Fitch wasnt a good fighter. My comment was at you saying he shouldnt need to prove he is a good fighter. I do think he is good and doesnt need to fight like a fraud as you suggested. Anyone who ever fights like you said should never be reward with a UFC invite. The UFC should be where the best fighters in the world fight. To say this...

like it is a good thing is one of the worst things i have ever read by a fan. It actually makes his skills, and all other fighters skills, and the entire UFC. Pointless. Why are we watching if that is all the sport consist of is manufactured fighters with fake resumes? Now im not saying that doesnt already go on. It does to a small extent. In some cases its needed to keep fan interest with a fight here and there. BUt a fan should never be content with these happening to the point of embracing the practice. I would never want my friends, training partners, or favorite fighters to be in the UFC if they didnt belong.

I didn't say it was a good thing. I just said it was good for Fitch personally. I don't like fighters picking and choosing their opponents any more than you do, but you can't deny that it can have a major influence on a fighter's career. Besides, what Dana White would do to Fitch right now would be exact same thing, only in reverse. He wouldn't dream of giving Fitch a big name opponent. He would want to use Fitch as fodder to push newer, younger fighters. Look at a fight like the Erick Silva fight. Fitch had lots to lose and almost nothing to gain. If he wins, people say "Big deal. You beat a guy that most casual fans haven't heard of." If Silva wins, he gets a huge boost for beating a superstar.

I don't like fighters picking and choosing to suit their own agenda, but it is no worse than the UFC picking and choosing fights to push THEIR own agenda. Things are getting damn ridiculous right now with marketable fighters getting big fight after big fight while more deserving contenders are being forced to wait. Fitch was the first one to get royally screwed and people seemed to tolerate it since it was only one fighter. Now we have Weidman and Hendricks getting screwed out of title fights simply because they aren't "main event status" with a microphone in their face.

The Spurs are the best team year in and year old for the last decade. Yet they are always over looked because they are boring and no one gives a fuck about them. There isnt any point bitching about it because you cant change human nature. People just dont want to see it.

That doesn't mean that the NBA will removed their earned spots in the finals and replace them with the Lakers simply to make more money. Credible sports leagues accept the results of the contests, even when it isn't the most profitable for them.

Edgar got a title shot coming off two loses. So what? Many people thought he won those fights. Also who was more deserving than he was for that title shot? Noone has heard of anyone else in the division. In order to built those new weight class' Aldo has to beat people with credibility regardless of what division he come from. As we seen Edgar was his toughest fight. So apparently "deserving it" isnt all what it is cracked up to be.

In sports, you don't put the best teams in the finals. You put the teams that win in the finals. If you lose, you are eliminated. What is the point of playing if organizers can simply choose who to put in the finals at the end? By your logic, the LA Kings would've never won the Stanley Cup last year because they would've been replaced in the Finals by a more marketable and more respected team like the Canucks or the Red Wings.

• Upvote 1

I didn't say it was a good thing. I just said it was good for Fitch personally. I don't like fighters picking and choosing their opponents any more than you do, but you can't deny that it can have a major influence on a fighter's career. Besides, what Dana White would do to Fitch right now would be exact same thing, only in reverse. He wouldn't dream of giving Fitch a big name opponent. He would want to use Fitch as fodder to push newer, younger fighters. Look at a fight like the Erick Silva fight. Fitch had lots to lose and almost nothing to gain. If he wins, people say "Big deal. You beat a guy that most casual fans haven't heard of." If Silva wins, he gets a huge boost for beating a superstar.

I don't like fighters picking and choosing to suit their own agenda, but it is no worse than the UFC picking and choosing fights to push THEIR own agenda. Things are getting damn ridiculous right now with marketable fighters getting big fight after big fight while more deserving contenders are being forced to wait. Fitch was the first one to get royally screwed and people seemed to tolerate it since it was only one fighter. Now we have Weidman and Hendricks getting screwed out of title fights simply because they aren't "main event status" with a microphone in their face.

The problem is if Fitch deserves to be in the UFC, paid 6 figures, and ranked in the top 10. There shouldnt be anyone, especially a prospect, who he couldnt beat. I do agree Dana, if he didnt like him, would give him the worst possible fights. But for Fitch to be where he is it is his job to win those fight. Its like a champ i used to have in this game who claimed "i was trying to get him beat". IF you are the deserving champ there shouldnt be anyone who could beat you. Are you a fake champ who is hiding from someone? The reality of the fight game is all fights come down to match making. we both know it. So the question is. Who do we put in charge of it? A fighter as we have seen win boxing will avoid the fights he cant win at all cost until he runs off a 50-0 record and bleeds fans of all their money and leaves the sport in the shitter. The UFC doesnt do that. The UFC has a great tract record for this. They do make matches to further their agenda at times. But they dont over due it imo. We know the UFC and Dana loves the sport. They have had many times they could have taken the easy way out for the sake of money and turned it away for the credibility of the sport and its future. They could have protected Brock until the cows come home but they didnt. They give him a few breaks here and there but then let him sink or swim. They had plenty of reasons to protect him forever. As champ he was selling 1 million PPV buys. Double any champ since. They could have pretected Kimbo was who was a huge ratings success. But they didnt do it. He had to sink or swim on his own. Over the years they have passed on using pro wrestlers. Simply because it made the sport look bad even though it would make them tons of money. Only when a Pro wrestler with real wrestling come along did they do this. They help a guy here and there but they have shown in the end its up to the fighter to create his own success. They are very good at doing just enough to help the sport but not to much. There is no better hands to put the match making in imo.

That doesn't mean that the NBA will removed their earned spots in the finals and replace them with the Lakers simply to make more money. Credible sports leagues accept the results of the contests, even when it isn't the most profitable for them.

In sports, you don't put the best teams in the finals. You put the teams that win in the finals. If you lose, you are eliminated. What is the point of playing if organizers can simply choose who to put in the finals at the end? By your logic, the LA Kings would've never won the Stanley Cup last year because they would've been replaced in the Finals by a more marketable and more respected team like the Canucks or the Red Wings.

Those leagues do not have other games effect by those boring teams. If you dont like the spurs it doesnt keep you from watchign the Heat. If the UFC has a shit fighter noone wants to see it kills the viewers for everyone on that card and everyone in that persons division. I would also argue the UFC never took him out of a title. He was denied a shot at it for 2 reasons. 1. He never beat the right people to deserve it(Which you can claim he was never give those match ups) 2. He never was able to beat the compeition he did face like he should. Maybe he cant control who Dana White gives him. But he can control wether he is impressive or not. Which he never was. Then when he finally fought the top level guys he should have been fighting all along. He lost.

• Downvote 1

Those leagues do not have other games effect by those boring teams. If you dont like the spurs it doesnt keep you from watchign the Heat. If the UFC has a shit fighter noone wants to see it kills the viewers for everyone on that card and everyone in that persons division. I would also argue the UFC never took him out of a title. He was denied a shot at it for 2 reasons. 1. He never beat the right people to deserve it(Which you can claim he was never give those match ups) 2. He never was able to beat the compeition he did face like he should. Maybe he cant control who Dana White gives him. But he can control wether he is impressive or not. Which he never was. Then when he finally fought the top level guys he should have been fighting all along. He lost.

Winning impressively is bullshit. A win is a win. Winning a boring, defensive basketball game 80-79 and winning an exciting, fast-paced game by blowout 120-100 are both worth the exact same in the standings. Fitch's fighting style is not going to earn highlight reel finishes, but that doesn't make it any less legitimate. Besides, taking someone down and holding them down for 15 minutes is far more impressive and requires much more skill than taking two unskilled idiots and having them swing for the fences for 15 minutes.

I'm so sick of hearing how this is a business. All pro sports are businesses, but they don't hold down successful, less exciting teams in favor of giving playoff or finals spots to shitty yet marketable teams. Manipulating matchups in order to do what makes the most money ruined boxing and it will ruin MMA as well if they aren't careful.

• Upvote 1

Winning impressively is bullshit. A win is a win. Winning a boring, defensive basketball game 80-79 and winning an exciting, fast-paced game by blowout 120-100 are both worth the exact same in the standings. Fitch's fighting style is not going to earn highlight reel finishes, but that doesn't make it any less legitimate. Besides, taking someone down and holding them down for 15 minutes is far more impressive and requires much more skill than taking two unskilled idiots and having them swing for the fences for 15 minutes.

I'm so sick of hearing how this is a business. All pro sports are businesses, but they don't hold down successful, less exciting teams in favor of giving playoff or finals spots to shitty yet marketable teams. Manipulating matchups in order to do what makes the most money ruined boxing and it will ruin MMA as well if they aren't careful.

Thats bullshit. The sport was never meant to be fought like Fitch does. He is only able to use a loop hole due to time constraints and to move on when someone like him bores people to tears. There is no other way to win in Basketball except for scoring point. MMA started out with no judges. Finishing people is what fighting is all about. Holding people down to win by technicality isnt impressive at all. especially when you have proven not to be able to do anything else. When Fitch fights. Vince from slap chop comes out and says "You know i cant do this all day" and awards Fitch the win. Judges are used when the fight has not ended. When you KO someone YOU won the fight. When you have to win by decision. The Judges AWARD you the decision. Which means its given to you because the fight never technically ended.

Also that isnt what ruined boxing. The fights that made money were never made. Fighters did what made them the most money long term. That was avoiding tough fights and a loss at alll cost. If Boxing did what made money/fan wanted. We would have seen FMJ vs Pacman years ago. Instead they refused to risk a loss and now one has lost and noone gives a shit. The UFC on the other hand gives the fights fans want to see while at the same time keeping the Belts credible.

tank cant win enough fights outside the ufc to ever make it back in the ufc. he barely won a backyard fight against scott ferrozzo...how would he ever beat anyone in an actual mma fight? this is the same guy who got completely destroyed by kimbo. tank could fight in the local circuit in iowa and not win enough fights to make it back in the ufc. that had to be one of the dumbest comparisons ive ever read in my life.

you really tried to compare tank....to a top 10 welterweight. not just a top 10 welterweight, but someone who has been in the top 10 for years, and spent most of that time as #2.

unbelievable.

Thats bullshit. The sport was never meant to be fought like Fitch does. He is only able to use a loop hole due to time constraints and to move on when someone like him bores people to tears. There is no other way to win in Basketball except for scoring point. MMA started out with no judges. Finishing people is what fighting is all about. Holding people down to win by technicality isnt impressive at all. especially when you have proven not to be able to do anything else. When Fitch fights. Vince from slap chop comes out and says "You know i cant do this all day" and awards Fitch the win. Judges are used when the fight has not ended. When you KO someone YOU won the fight. When you have to win by decision. The Judges AWARD you the decision. Which means its given to you because the fight never technically ended.

There is no loophole. Those are the rules of modern MMA. Basketball has evolved as well. When it first started, you couldn't even take one step with the ball. Sports change and evolve all the time. Maybe you miss the days when MMA fights were fought until someone got a finish, but that isn't how the sport is fought any more. Under the current rules, TKO, submission, and decision are all worth one win. You can campaign and push for them to change the rules and use the Japanese system of awarding draws instead of using judges, but until the rules change, a decision win is equal to a finish.