UFC not planning to re-sign Cheick Kongo

thb

These old guys have to go at some point. One of the hardest things about running the UFC. Balancing familiar names with having the best fighters in the world. You cant do both. Fans would rather watch well known has beens and be told they are the best rather than watch the best. You cant Keep Kongo just because you know his name. He isnt good enough and has to go and make room for hopefully the next Cain or Dos Santos. Thats cant happen if they stay in the UFC until they die of old age.

• Upvote 1

Apparently he turned down a four fight deal prior to the nelson fight. It isn't that he was cut he just chose not to resign.

That was likely do to him thinking he would win and get a better contract. Which he would be right. But the down side is if he lost he has no fights left. It was a gamble but it was his decision. Part of being an adult. He looks the part of a top guys and he is decent. So if he gets a few wins he will be right back. BUt unfortunately it will only be to get fed to someone.

Kongo has options at least. If I was him I would try and get a few wins strung together on smaller shows and wait for the UFC to come calling again when a HW fighter gets injured or something.

I think that WSOF should sign Kongo. I think that would be the best option for Kongo too. He would probably get paid well and get some relatively high profile fights.

I could see him being fed to Anthony Johnson.

I think that WSOF should sign Kongo. I think that would be the best option for Kongo too. He would probably get paid well and get some relatively high profile fights.

I would love that

I could see him being fed to Anthony Johnson.

I think he'd beat Anthony Johnson, Congo would frustrate him the entire fight by putting him against the fence

Somehow Johnson would still find a way to not make weight. :P Yes, I know it would be at 265. He would find a way.

I don't think that is physically possible for him unless he stops working out completely.