About Done With This

Defcon

So at 2-11 as a manager I guess I'm doing everything wrong. I've read the user guides, set the sliders the best I know how, to accentuate strengths and minimize weaknesses. I've allocated skill points to fighters in areas that I didn't give them strengths in...is this wrong? For example, giving a fighter with weak MT strong kicks, elbows, knees?

At the risk of rambling, I don't get it...it's pretty demoralizing to try new things, switching sliders, training to weaknesses and not watching them improve (after, as suggested, giving them breaks and sparring with as many as possible, working with coaches that aren't elite). While I think the concept of the game is great, I just don't get it.

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but it seems like I'm competing with a computer program/algorithm that is loosely based on real life MMA outcomes...or maybe I just suck. Do I need to just give this more time? Is there some invisible learning curve that I don't know about? Do I need to buy VIP to win or increase my chances?

At this point I'm going to go ahead and say that if I'm not at least .500 as a manager in my remaining fights this month I'm out. So if someone could help me out, that would be great. I feel like I have too much time vested in this to let it go, but at the risk of sounding brash, I want to fucking break shit. I need a couple xanax and a bowl.

HELP.

A very superficial look at your roster tells me that your guys are jack of all trades. That's obviously a good idea at the higher levels, but ideally you should start them off with a clear specialization. As it is right now they'd get smashed by a striker with good takedown defense, a grappler with good takedowns etc.

Marijuano:

In his first fight he had to deal with a better grappler. He did decently well, but wore himself out by just going for takedowns vs a vastly superior wrestler (respectable is roughly 3 times better than woeful). You had a massive boxing advantage, but didn't use it at all. With your opponent being aggressive (showing brawler), having useless boxing and showing "Good in Bed" (which means his chin is average/below average) and Marijuano showing KO Power later on, you probably could've either messed him up badly or even finished him with your hands. Even if you didn't the damage might have let you snatch a submission.

In the second fight you immediately went to your strengths and won instantly.

In the third fight you came in with relatively low energy, and your only attempted action versus a superior jiujitsu guy was going for a takedown. He also had a huge boxing advantage, so your only real shot here was working your kicks (assuming you have any) and trying to clinch.

In the fourth fight you once again tried wrestling a superior grappler who you had a boxing advantage on, and he eventually managed to get your arm.

O'Sullivan:

First fight: A perfect example of why having one very dominant skillset is really effective early on. You had to deal with a vastly superior wrestler, so you got wrestled, beat up and submitted. It happens.

Second fight: More of the same except this time his dominant skillset was striking and staying on his feet.

Third fight: If you hadn't come in at about 40% energy you would have won this easily.

Fourth fight: You dived right into a brown belt's guard and paid dearly for it.

Wayne:

This was essentially a match made in hell for you, and your only real shot was working your kicks and trying to snatch a sub if he took you down. This was, like most of your other fights, because of your fighter builds.

Emelianenko:

First fight: You stood up from top after sweeping him and then immediately took him down. That makes no sense from a tactical perspective. Other than that you clowned him and tired him out in the first round.

You started the second round by failing five takedowns in a row in a bit over two minutes. You got the "breathing heavily" message which indicates that it tired you out. You kept spamming takedowns and got beat up for it.

The third was closer but you wasted so much energy with your takedown spamming gameplan that you never did anything with the takedowns you got.

You clowned him on the mat, so if you had mixed things up more standing you probably would've won easily.

Second fight: You managed to pull off a hail mary sub after losing two rounds because of your horrid gameplan.

Third fight: You came in with very low energy and he took your arm for it.

Fourth fight: Not mixing it up at all let him bash your head in with no concerns for his own safety.

Geddin:

First fight: You spammed takedowns and a fighter with a really strong offensive dimension messed you up for it.

Second fight: Low-ish energy coming in. You got taken down instantly by a brown belt and didn't really do anything to transition or get back up.

Third fight: Botching 3 takedowns in quick succession, taking some hard shots to the midriff and getting dropped in short order winded your guy, opening him up to the finish.

Fourth fight: You messed up big time by just going for takedowns but managed to win it back on the ground. You seem to have a decent nose for ground sliders in general.

Fifth fight: You came in with low energy and immediately grappled with a better wrestler.

If there's anything else you wonder about, post it here. You probably won't get an even record this month, because 1) your roster is flawed by design and 2) I doubt you'll get 9 more fights out of 4 guys in 16 days. What we can do, though is start culling the flab and get you a fresh start. If you promise to not give up right now I can send your manager account 100 000 bucks which you can use for proper training and supplement. I'm sure other veteran managers will chip in as well.

• Upvote 15

It's good that you gave points to kicks secondaries to your fighter. That helps with defending it (throwing too but that's obviousl).

I'm not sure if you set tactic in that fight to "minimalize weaknesses" http://www.mmatycoon...php?FTID=556753 .

Blue belt taking to the ground brown belt? Your fighter could avoid his TD's attempts and strike with him because your fighter was better in standup... You have to think more before setting a tactcis.

Your basic knowledge is really good, but don't leave the game because you had bad beggining. Make a solid fundaments from your basic knowledge for future tower of your greatness!

With VIP setting tactcis would be easier for you. You would be able to see all statistic of any fighters in the tycooniverse! How many kicks he thrown in his whole carrear, how many of them landed etc.

Bragi~

Thank you for your time and the analysis. At this point if Marijuana ends up 1-4 he gets sacked. I'm actually looking at turning over my entire roster. I am going to make four new fighters who are dominant in each area...however, BJJ seems to be a necessity. It seems like a white belt is useless...sure, you'll be like Brock Lesnar or Kimbo Slice until someone with decent BJJ gets you on the ground.

The money doesn't seem to be an issue. I've heard it said that if you put your fighters in gyms with trainer's ratings and other fighters sparring worth way above your own, you won't improve...that it is better to pick trainers/gyms marginally above you own level. Maybe this is wrong. Right now I can afford what I believe are marginally decent gyms (although I currently am using conditioning gyms and Cozad only, I have used $250-800 gyms, some elite, in the past...I cut it out because I wasn't seeing any returns). So if it is an issue and I'm just not seeing it then feel free to send some! Otherwise, thanks for the advice alone.

I spent time analyzing past fights and picked up some of your observations previously, especially the takedown attempts. It seems to me that unless you have superior (or good, whatever the term may be, let's say decent) MT head kicks, knees, and elbows are useless, and unless you have decent wrestling takedowns are pointless because you'll just waste energy. So I've tried to adapt. One thing I believe strongly in is having a decent BJJ fighter be a counter/ground bottom...because this is what BJJ is all about...using leverage, choke points, joint locks to defeat larger and stronger opponents.

A very superficial look at your roster tells me that your guys are jack of all trades. That's obviously a good idea at the higher levels, but ideally you should start them off with a clear specialization. As it is right now they'd get smashed by a striker with good takedown defense, a grappler with good takedowns etc.

Marijuano:

In his first fight he had to deal with a better grappler. He did decently well, but wore himself out by just going for takedowns vs a vastly superior wrestler (respectable is roughly 3 times better than woeful). You had a massive boxing advantage, but didn't use it at all. With your opponent being aggressive (showing brawler), having useless boxing and showing "Good in Bed" (which means his chin is average/below average) and Marijuano showing KO Power later on, you probably could've either messed him up badly or even finished him with your hands. Even if you didn't the damage might have let you snatch a submission.

In the second fight you immediately went to your strengths and won instantly.

In the third fight you came in with relatively low energy, and your only attempted action versus a superior jiujitsu guy was going for a takedown. He also had a huge boxing advantage, so your only real shot here was working your kicks (assuming you have any) and trying to clinch.

In the fourth fight you once again tried wrestling a superior grappler who you had a boxing advantage on, and he eventually managed to get your arm.

O'Sullivan:

First fight: A perfect example of why having one very dominant skillset is really effective early on. You had to deal with a vastly superior wrestler, so you got wrestled, beat up and submitted. It happens.

Second fight: More of the same except this time his dominant skillset was striking and staying on his feet.

Third fight: If you hadn't come in at about 40% energy you would have won this easily.

Fourth fight: You dived right into a brown belt's guard and paid dearly for it.

Wayne:

This was essentially a match made in hell for you, and your only real shot was working your kicks and trying to snatch a sub if he took you down. This was, like most of your other fights, because of your fighter builds.

Emelianenko:

First fight: You stood up from top after sweeping him and then immediately took him down. That makes no sense from a tactical perspective. Other than that you clowned him and tired him out in the first round.

You started the second round by failing five takedowns in a row in a bit over two minutes. You got the "breathing heavily" message which indicates that it tired you out. You kept spamming takedowns and got beat up for it.

The third was closer but you wasted so much energy with your takedown spamming gameplan that you never did anything with the takedowns you got.

You clowned him on the mat, so if you had mixed things up more standing you probably would've won easily.

Second fight: You managed to pull off a hail mary sub after losing two rounds because of your horrid gameplan.

Third fight: You came in with very low energy and he took your arm for it.

Fourth fight: Not mixing it up at all let him bash your head in with no concerns for his own safety.

Geddin:

First fight: You spammed takedowns and a fighter with a really strong offensive dimension messed you up for it.

Second fight: Low-ish energy coming in. You got taken down instantly by a brown belt and didn't really do anything to transition or get back up.

Third fight: Botching 3 takedowns in quick succession, taking some hard shots to the midriff and getting dropped in short order winded your guy, opening him up to the finish.

Fourth fight: You messed up big time by just going for takedowns but managed to win it back on the ground. You seem to have a decent nose for ground sliders in general.

Fifth fight: You came in with low energy and immediately grappled with a better wrestler.

If there's anything else you wonder about, post it here. You probably won't get an even record this month, because 1) your roster is flawed by design and 2) I doubt you'll get 9 more fights out of 4 guys in 16 days. What we can do, though is start culling the flab and get you a fresh start. If you promise to not give up right now I can send your manager account 100 000 bucks which you can use for proper training and supplement. I'm sure other veteran managers will chip in as well.

I'm going to VIP up after Friday when I get paid. It's not like its that expensive and I'll try it for a few weeks and see if, with the tools available, I can do better.

It's good that you gave points to kicks secondaries to your fighter. That helps with defending it (throwing too but that's obviousl).

I'm not sure if you set tactic in that fight to "minimalize weaknesses" http://www.mmatycoon...php?FTID=556753 .

Blue belt taking to the ground brown belt? Your fighter could avoid his TD's attempts and strike with him because your fighter was better in standup... You have to think more before setting a tactcis.

Your basic knowledge is really good, but don't leave the game because you had bad beggining. Make a solid fundaments from your basic knowledge for future tower of your greatness!

With VIP setting tactcis would be easier for you. You would be able to see all statistic of any fighters in the tycooniverse! How many kicks he thrown in his whole carrear, how many of them landed etc.

Bragi~

• Upvote 3

I would also probably suggest, when you remake your fighters, to make them 25 year olds until you get the hang of how sliders work. You can get them in the fight game quicker so you won't feel like you wasted all that time with a badly built 18 year old.

BJJ isn't a necessity early on unless you're making a BJJ/ wrestler type. However, if your fighter is a stand up white belt, he needs to have wrestling, take down defense, balance and some heavily focused stand up skills to go with the 100% stay standing sliders.

The Info these guys are giving you is top notch. When I started this game over 3 years ago I went like 2-12 or something like that in my first month or so. So what I am saying is don't get discouraged as you can always turn it around. Plus it helps a lot with VIP. Also try to get someone to be a mentor for you (if you haven't already) to help you with sliders and stuff like that.

Thank you for your time and the analysis. At this point if Marijuana ends up 1-4 he gets sacked. I'm actually looking at turning over my entire roster. I am going to make four new fighters who are dominant in each area...however, BJJ seems to be a necessity. It seems like a white belt is useless...sure, you'll be like Brock Lesnar or Kimbo Slice until someone with decent BJJ gets you on the ground.

The money doesn't seem to be an issue. I've heard it said that if you put your fighters in gyms with trainer's ratings and other fighters sparring worth way above your own, you won't improve...that it is better to pick trainers/gyms marginally above you own level. Maybe this is wrong. Right now I can afford what I believe are marginally decent gyms (although I currently am using conditioning gyms and Cozad only, I have used $250-800 gyms, some elite, in the past...I cut it out because I wasn't seeing any returns). So if it is an issue and I'm just not seeing it then feel free to send some! Otherwise, thanks for the advice alone.

I spent time analyzing past fights and picked up some of your observations previously, especially the takedown attempts. It seems to me that unless you have superior (or good, whatever the term may be, let's say decent) MT head kicks, knees, and elbows are useless, and unless you have decent wrestling takedowns are pointless because you'll just waste energy. So I've tried to adapt. One thing I believe strongly in is having a decent BJJ fighter be a counter/ground bottom...because this is what BJJ is all about...using leverage, choke points, joint locks to defeat larger and stronger opponents.

BJJ is definitely very important, but so is everything else. Training at lower levels is faster though, so you can get his other stuff to adequate levels relatively quickly.

I did send you 100k anyways because I'm stubborn, so put your new guys in proper 1000$ gyms! You can afford it for a long time now.

Those tools are far from useless, and even if you hardly utilize those leg and body kicks are absolutely crippling when used correctly. Takedowns can work as long as you 1) mix it up properly and go for them rarely and 2) your opponent isn't a way better wrestler.

Aggressive grapplers are also very successful from their backs though (see the Diaz brothers for an example). If you're just laying there you 1) won't force them to work and as such make them tired/slip up and 2) will get stood up. There's a time and place for every slider setting though.

I'm easily the least experienced guy here, so take this with a grain of salt. But when you set your sliders, don't just focus on what your fighter is best at, focus on what you have the biggest advantage in. For example, take this fight: http://mmatycoon.com...php?FTID=562407 . My guy has 6 boxing, 2 MT, 11 wrestling, and a white belt in BJJ. The other dude has 2/1/9/Purple, and had won via 1st round submission in both fights before his bout with my guy. So instead of playing to my greatest strength, wrestling, and try to take him down, I played to my greatest advantage, which was standup. And what do you know, I'm rewarded with a TKO 42 seconds into the fight. Again, I'm inexperienced, so more experienced guys feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm not very experienced either, but that information on playing to your greatest advantage is pretty accurate. With or without VIP, you can track your opponents fight tendencies...so its like watching game film. If your opponent is aggressive and mostly on the offense in his previous fights, you can capitalize with good counter sliders. Your opponent spams take Downs early and often? Set high counter striking. Your opponent likes to punch and kick at range? Move into the clinch. Once you fully understand sliders, it turns into a " guess what your opponent will do" game...so always be the less predictable fighter if you know you're fighting a guy who knows what he's doing.

Dont quit bro. I'm probably one of the slowest learning managers in the game. I've sacked about 20 fighters so far because of bad builds and game planning. You just need to take some time & read the information available on the Noob Help forum. It's a lot of information but I promise you'll be amazed at some of the things you learn. You'll be smacking your head over & over when you start figuring things out. If you're truly an MMA fan you'll stick around.

When you get good at this game, this thing becomes addictive. And make sure you get VIP!

This game is a slow, learning process, not one for instant gratification. Don't worry about your record, not everyone excels at the beginning and it's perfectly understandable. I barely broke even in my historic record for my first hundred fights or so. Suffice it to say, my creator didn't tick 'fast learner' for me. But a couple of years in, and I've finally broken the top fifty managers barrier. You'll get there. It's all about experience, and learning from the bad. Mannetosen's pretty much given you top notch advice, so I won't echo him, just wanted to tell you to keep working at it. You seem pretty keen, I wouldn't be surprised if I saw you begin to thrive a lot quicker than I did.

Well, there's your problem.

So then I shouldn't counteract primary weaknesses by giving more points in secondaries? I'm confused.

I would also probably suggest, when you remake your fighters, to make them 25 year olds until you get the hang of how sliders work. You can get them in the fight game quicker so you won't feel like you wasted all that time with a badly built 18 year old.

BJJ isn't a necessity early on unless you're making a BJJ/ wrestler type. However, if your fighter is a stand up white belt, he needs to have wrestling, take down defense, balance and some heavily focused stand up skills to go with the 100% stay standing sliders.

Thanks. They get more points that way.

BJJ is definitely very important, but so is everything else. Training at lower levels is faster though, so you can get his other stuff to adequate levels relatively quickly.

I did send you 100k anyways because I'm stubborn, so put your new guys in proper 1000$ gyms! You can afford it for a long time now.

Those tools are far from useless, and even if you hardly utilize those leg and body kicks are absolutely crippling when used correctly. Takedowns can work as long as you 1) mix it up properly and go for them rarely and 2) your opponent isn't a way better wrestler.

Aggressive grapplers are also very successful from their backs though (see the Diaz brothers for an example). If you're just laying there you 1) won't force them to work and as such make them tired/slip up and 2) will get stood up. There's a time and place for every slider setting though.

Thanks for the help.

So then I shouldn't counteract primary weaknesses by giving more points in secondaries? I'm confused.

Training your skills from say useless to feeble is significantly faster than say feeble to respectable.

If you had unlimited points, sure, but you don't. That means those points have to come from somewhere, aka your supposed strengths. Nobody can be good at everything, but they can at least be good at something. By doing this, you've made fighters who are bad at everything.

You are literally asking why you shouldn't handcuff your guys before sending them into the cage.

The nice thing about VIP is you can have a nice mix of fighters all the way from 18 yr old projects to battle hardened veterans. Its near impossible to create a 18 yr old that is instantly fight ready. If you have 10+ fighter slots you can pick up 2-3 battle hardened FA's, create 2-3 fight ready 25 yr old rookies, a couple young prospects in ID restricted orgs and a couple projects that just train until they are 20+ yrs old. By the time your projects and prospects start hitting their prime you can sack the old dogs that aren't performing well anymore and create a couple more projects in their place. Just keep the cycle going continuously.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Probably done after 6/1. If I win one fight, I'll stay. Otherwise I'm sick and tired of bullshit split decisions, cuts, unanimous decisions, and taking the advice of seasoned veterans and not having it work. If I leave I will refund the person who made a generous donation. I'm not going to insult something I evidently don't understand...just not my cup of tea but a great opportunity for those who can figure it out.

Haven't won a single fucking fight since posting this. I've made changes to the sliders, trained my fighters equally to weak areas and their opponents, only to come up short. And of course my orgs always want me to fight guys who have one or two fights but ridiculous stats because they've been around since 2012. Tired of being fucking cannon fodder

Thanks for the opportunity and keep truckin. If you don't hear from me in a couple of days, I've either deleted my acccount or let it lapse.

Have you had a mentor look at your sliders and brainstorm on a game plan? Also, maybe be a bit more selective in accepting your match-ups.

Edit: just saw your statement about fighting superior guys with significantly higher primaries (secondaries and physicals too, safe to assume). Give it time and stay away from one-sided match-up offers. Make sure you are being offered not only a comparable fighter, but that the manager is equally new.

Why not try QFC fights?

Each fighter will be at the same level.

And maybe try more specialized fighters as yours are more well rounded.

Im no expert far from it but these are the tips ive had :)

I would stay away from QFC, as you sign up blindly and do not know who you might be facing. It's true that they are somewhat equal in overall skills, I think that picking an opponent would provide a better chance at winning.

Don't take a blind fight, or a fight that looks like you have no chance at winning. Let's start there.