Highland Challengers - Official Thread

http://www.mmatycoon.com/images/company/logo/1430848361hclogo.png

Highland Challengers is a brand new organisation, hosted on The Island. It is a follow up organisation to Season 3's number one org and current top 10 MMMATycoon organisation Highland Games.

Highland Challengers is dedicated to providing the experience which Highland Games offered, vowing to follow in the same footsteps. Challengers is going to be an all round interactive experience for it's fighters and will have the same calibre of write ups which it's predecessor had.

To enjoy The Island to the absolute fullest, sign your fighters up with Highland Challengers.

For questions or to receive a contract, the staff is listed below.

Owner & Matchmaker - Reggie Thistleton (90739)

Highland Games Owner - Callum McGregor (93705)

Championship History

Super Heavyweight

Phil Hellmuth Jr

(0 Defences)

October 26th 2015 - November 11th 2015

TITLE VACATED DUE TO AGE RESTRICTION

---------------------------------------------------------------

Heavyweight

Dave Ysengrin

(5 Defences)

July 20th 2015 - September 13th 2015

Tito Kerr

(0 Defences)

September 13th 2015 - September 29th 2015

Dave Ysengrin

(1 Defence)

September 29th 2015 - October 25th 2015

Hank Holmes

(0 Defences)

October 25th 2015 - November 11th 2015

Light Heavyweight

Charles Crawley

(3 Defences)

June 13th 2015 - September 3rd 2015

Mel Gordon

(3 Defences)

September 3rd 2015 - November 11th 2015

Middleweight

Joseph Wright

(0 Defences)

June 27th 2015 - July 11th 2015

Richard Winters

(0 Defences)

July 11th 2015 - July 25th 2015

Pekka Pyy

(0 Defences)

July 25th 2015 - August 12th 2015

Erik Thorvaldson

(1 Defence)

August 12th 2015 - September 12th 2015

Xande Shoyoroll

(0 Defences)

September 12th 2015 - October 7th 2015

Rodney Jackson

(0 Defences)

October 7th 2015 - October 18th 2015

Erik Thorvaldson

(0 Defences)

October 18th 2015 - November 11th 2015

Welterweight

Oliver Dickens

(0 Defences)

June 20th 2015 - July 4th 2015

Alexander Stubb

(1 Defence)

July 4th 2015 - August 1st 2015

Oliver Dickens

(0 Defences)

August 1st 2015 - August 29th 2015

Perry Hughes

(0 Defences)

August 29th 2015 - September 12th 2015

Alexander Stubb

(0 Defence)

September 12th 2015 - October 3rd 2015

TITLE VACATED DUE TO FIGHTER SIGNING ELSEWHERE

Oliver Dickens

(0 Defences)

October 3rd 2015 - October 27th 2015

Gary Glover

(0 Defences)

October 27th 2015 - November 11th 2015

Lightweight

Quintonio Vasquez

(6 Defences)

June 27th 2015 - November 11th 2015

Featherweight

Fred Aslop

(0 Defences)

June 20th 2015 - July 4th 2015

Yuta Wakabayashi

(1 Defence)

July 4th 2015 - August 8th 2015

Dang Sai

(0 Defences)

August 8th 2015 - August 22nd 2015

Patrick Seery

(3 Defences)

August 22nd 2015 - Current

Bantamweight

Ove Sundberg

(2 Defences)

July 4th 2015 - September 5th 2015

Piston Horiguchi

(1 Defence)

September 5th 2015 - October 14th 2015

Ove Sundberg

(1 Defences)

October 14th 2015 - Current

Hall of Fame

Dave Ysengrin

Ove Sundberg

Patrick Seery

• Upvote 3

We currently have a 78% rating.

Let me say this:

Before you rate us, if you have any problems, issues, concerns or complaints, please let us know so that we can address them. If you don't let us know anything is not to your liking, how can we ever fix it?

If after you voice your concerns, we do not address them, then please, go right ahead and rate us poorly.

• Upvote 3

We currently have a 78% rating.

Let me say this:

Before you rate us, if you have any problems, issues, concerns or complaints, please let us know so that we can address them. If you don't let us know anything is not to your liking, how can we ever fix it?

If after you voice your concerns, we do not address them, then please, go right ahead and rate us poorly.

One guy joined and instantly voted a 1. Shit like that happens so you just have to pretend it doesnt exist. When HC gets a little deeper, people are going to enjoy it regardless.

http://www.mmatycoon.com/gallery/0/14310537745566.png

Archie MacDuff (0-1)

Aye well that didny go as ah planned. Wis daen fairly good own ma feet an wi ma boxin but when we got in the clinch he fairly done me in. Blood still gushin doon ma face. Thought ah'd be a lot better in close. Will huv ta work own that before ah get ma next wan in. Good win Phil.

http://www.mmatycoon.com/images/posters/143109328834nn0hw.png

HIGHLAND CHALLENGERS 1 REVIEW

By Callum McGregor

When Highland Games 1 happened, no one knew just how amazing some of the fighters on the inaugural card might be. LightHeavy Weight, Barney Gumble, you didn’t know who would emerge as greats. This is exactly the situation we face right here, right now. Highland Challengers 1, this is where a fighter’s destiny will begin, with no boundaries or limitations as to how far they will go. Let’s get this started!
Heinz Smorebrod (0-0) Vs Oliver Queen (0-1) – Middleweight
Just two hours prior to this fight, BJ Arnold defeated Serge Ibaka for the Bantamweight Championship in Highland Games using his stunning body kicks. I don’t know if Oliver Queen was tuning in, but man did he emulate the new champion. Smorebrod was swinging for the fences for the entire duration of the fight, but Queen easily stayed on the outside, countered with hard body kicks, and coasted home to a decision. He’ll be slightly unhappy not to finish this fight. Perhaps he could have switched it up with a head kick or two but a win is a win.
Oliver Queen Wins by Unanimous Decision.
Vicente Nunes (0-0) Vs Takakazu Nakamoto (0-0) – Middleweight
This was a strange one. Both were looking for takedowns, both were trying to pull guard, it seemed like the gameplan here was to do whatever the other guy didn’t want you to do at that moment in time. Vincente Nunes controlled the first round from side control, but in pulling guard in the next two rounds he handed his opponent top control and was caught by a few strikes which were ultimately the decider.
Takakazu Nakamoto Wins by Unanimous Decision.
Archie MacDuff (0-0) Vs Phil Hellmuth Jr (0-0) – Heavyweight
Archie was controlling the fight on the outside early, but Phil managed to get the clinch quite quickly into the first round. Knowing these two fighters, and knowing some of the guys Phil has worked with, we expected this to be an elbow-off. We weren’t disappointed, but one aspect that was surprising was how ineffective Archie was in his attempts and how easily Phil out worked him inside. Phil wins on the 3rd fight on the card by cuts from elbows. It’s interesting to note that at this stage the greatest Highland Games fighter ever, his training partner LightHeavy Weight, started as the second fight on the first HG card and won by the exact same method. Exciting things ahead.
Phil Hellmuth Jr Wins by TKO (Cuts) at 4:56 of Round 2.
Jack Jacks (0-0) Vs Declan Franks (0-0) – Light Heavyweight
Declan Franks was devastating with some massive punches and one very nice leg kick in the short moments that this fight was able to offer. Jack Jacks wanted the takedown instantly but was denied twice by the heavy hitter, enabling Franks to kick off his career with a first minute KO.
Declan Franks Wins by TKO (Strikes) at 0:45 of Round 1.
Roger Bennett (0-0) Vs Hugh Janus (0-0) – Featherweight
It was an absolute masterful performance from Janus. Roger Bennett clearly wanted to work his knees from the inside, perhaps in a style similar to HG’s Dan Sten. Hugh, a BJJ Brown Belt fighting out of Australia, was extremely slick in everything he did. He first pulled guard to avoid the knees. Next, he sweeps to the top position. Then he moves to side control, then mount, then the back, ending the movement with a Rear Naked Choke. Absolutely textbook from the rising contender.
Hugh Janus Wins by Submission (RNC) at 3:55 of Round 1.
Marcin Kowalski (1-0) Vs Eduardo Santos (0-0) – Light Heavyweight
A very lack lustre fight here which no one was impressed with. Both fighters really struggled to land anything of any significance, and only a handful of shots actually landed. Kowalski was able to prevent Santos from getting the clinch or taking the fight to the ground which was the biggest aspect of the fight. Marcin landed a couple of little shots here and there which is why the judges nodded his direction.
Marcin Kowalski Wins by Unanimous Decision.
Xavier Oliva (0-0) Vs Charles Crawley (1-0) – Light Heavyweight
Oliva was really looking to stall in this fight, avoiding the action at all costs and keeping on the outside. Charles Crawley was walking him down, but inexperience set in on his part as it appeared he was unable to cut off the cage and pin his opponent down. Crawley looks like he could grow into a good fighter, now with a 2-0 record, but he’ll have to hit the target a little bit more if he wants to capture the eyes of critics.
Charles Crawley Wins by Unanimous Decision.
Mel Gordon (1-0) Vs Hayir Karaman (0-0) – Light Heavyweight
Mel Gordon fought similarly to Phil Hellmuth Jr earlier on the card. He was looking for the clinch quickly and wanted to land damaging elbows to rip his opponent opened. Unluckily for Karaman, he was able to do just that. Although Hayir got out of the clinch several times in the early moments, he was eventually overwhelmed and Gordon won the fight by doctor’s stoppage.
Mel Gordon Wins by TKO (Cut) at 2:29 of Round 2.
Dave Ysengrin (1-0) Vs Slade Wilson (1-0) – Heavyweight
It’s not the first Dave Ysengrin we’ve seen in a Highland organisation, but for this fighter, his journey is just beginning. Few fighters have their first fight in a big organisation go exactly how they planned, but Dave did exactly that. Big punches saw Slade dropped and cut very early into the fight. He looked like he hung in there though and the fight entered the clinch, but only moments later Wilson was back on the ground, this time too damaged to continue and Dave finished the fight. Huge victory for Dave who emerges from this fight as a top contender.
Dave Ysengrin Wins by KO (Punch) at 1:59 of Round 1.
Jet Force (1-0) Vs Woody Forrest (0-1) – Heavyweight
Jet’s big brother Mase was victorious in Highland Games earlier tonight, but unfortunately for Jet he was not received with the same fate. He seemed a little too focused on going to something big, throwing more head kicks than any other strikes. Although both men appeared to be fairly even in the stand up, Woody really quickly began taking control. Force was hurt quite badly from what was essentially a slap, which is quite embarrassing. He tried to fight on but was dropped by an uppercut. As he struggled to grab Woody and tie him up, Forrest switched to a jiu jitsu game, looking for leg locks repeatedly. It would be mid-way through the third minute when one was successful. Woody managed to rock a striker with his punches, and submit him on the ground. With an all-round impressive game like that, especially in the main event of the first ever Highland Challengers, Woody Forrest is not a name to forget.
Woody Forrest Wins by Submission (Kneebar) at 3:21 of Round 1.
Well there we have it, the first Highland Challengers is done and dusted and in the books. Although not every fight was one for the ages, we got an interesting look at some fighters as they struggle to understand who they are going to become as competitors down the line, while others knew exactly who they were and what they were going to do before the fights even got announced. The crowd was a lot smaller than anticipated which will no doubt be a huge hindrance to the organisation in the coming days but Highland Challenge will persevere and eventually become one of the greatest Island organisations of all time.
  • Upvote 3

http://www.mmatycoon.com/gallery/16/16w17.jpg

Dave "Laddington Bear" Ysengrin

"The reason i like the Island so much, so much nature here. Mother nature is like, the ultimate MILF. Hello nature, prepare to get fucked.

http://mmatycoon.com/gallery/43/43w20.jpg

Slade Wilson

"Dave Ysengrin let me welcome you to the Island let me welcome you to hell."

"Hell didn't seem too bad to me. It seems to me you are in heaven now, i hope the babes up there are smoking for they won't be able to handle my sexy posh voice. Utter lad. Give my regards to God whilst me and the rest of the gang party with the Island bikini clad ring girls! HOLAAA"

• Upvote 2

Archie MacDuff (0-1)

Aye well that didny go as ah planned. Wis daen fairly good own ma feet an wi ma boxin but when we got in the clinch he fairly done me in. Blood still gushin doon ma face. Thought ah'd be a lot better in close. Will huv ta work own that before ah get ma next wan in. Good win Phil.

"I think most civilised folk understood nothing of that. My mate and fellow Eton chum once told me something about you northerners.

He said

“Now, young padawan, there are things I must teach you if you’re to succeed here in the land of the £2 pint. You see, the northerner is trusting and loyal like a gun-dog but when riled becomes mistrustful and easily confused, like a sort of... angry hen. You must also learn their tongue. Owt is any, nowt is none, ta is thanks, mint is good, tea is supper, dinner is lunch, a barm cake is a sort of bap, a bap is a tit and a tit... is a tit!”

Can you confirm?"

• Upvote 1

"The reason i like the Island so much, so much nature here. Mother nature is like, the ultimate MILF. Hello nature, prepare to get fucked.

"Hell didn't seem too bad to me. It seems to me you are in heaven now, i hope the babes up there are smoking for they won't be able to handle my sexy posh voice. Utter lad. Give my regards to God whilst me and the rest of the gang party with the Island bikini clad ring girls! HOLAAA"

http://mmatycoon.com/gallery/43/43w20.jpg

Slade Wilson

From his hospital room all banged up

"You will have your day Dave Ysengrin the next time we meet I will destroy you."

• Upvote 1

"I think most civilised folk understood nothing of that. My mate and fellow Eton chum once told me something about you northerners.

He said

“Now, young padawan, there are things I must teach you if you’re to succeed here in the land of the £2 pint. You see, the northerner is trusting and loyal like a gun-dog but when riled becomes mistrustful and easily confused, like a sort of... angry hen. You must also learn their tongue. Owt is any, nowt is none, ta is thanks, mint is good, tea is supper, dinner is lunch, a barm cake is a sort of bap, a bap is a tit and a tit... is a tit!”

Can you confirm?"

Archie MacDuff (0-1)

Naw big man, might speak that way norf ah you but its a wee bit soof a me nah ah mean?

• Upvote 1

http://i58.tinypic.com/2bo56g.png
What's Up?
Interviews with Jim What
http://www.mmatycoon.com/gallery/23/23w20.jpg
Woody Forrest Interview (1-1)
What: I'm joined by one of the two men who main evented the first ever Highland Challengers card; Woody Forrest. Woody, it's got to feel good to pick up your first professional win, what did walking out as the victor mean to you?
Forrest: It was great to be in the main event and getting the win means everything.
What: You were able to hurt your opponent on the feet before taking the fight to the floor and finishing it with a submission. Do you consider yourself a jack of all trades or is there an aspect of the game which you feel that you specialize in?
Forrest: I think I can stand with anyone, but if it goes to the ground I have a few tricks up my sleeve. My sub game is unstoppable.
What: On the first Highland Games card, Barney Gumble won in the main event. Seeing that you have just done the same thing in Challengers, do you feel that you'll be able to recreate that level of success throughout your career?
Forrest: Barney Gumble is a legend on The Island. I am not anywhere near as good as him. I hope to be, but I lost my first fight. I got sloppy. I wont make that mistake again.
What: With a main event victory, you'll be amongst the top of the division. How long do you see it being before you could have a title opportunity linked to your name?
Forrest: I hope to fight for the belt soon. I hope the org does not wait to have title fights as we are limited on time on The Island, so shit, let's do my next one for the belt. What do you say boss?
What: I'm just the interviewer I'm afraid. I have no powers in match making I'm afraid, but I'm sure if the victorious continue, you will have your opportunity. Thank you for joining us today Woody and good luck in your future match ups.
Forrest: Thank you sir but luck has nothing to do with fighting. Hard work wins fights.
  • Upvote 3

What's Up?
Interviews with Jim What
Dave Ysengrin Interview (2-0)
What: We're here with one of the more impressive fighters from the inaugural Highland Challengers card; Dave Ysengrin. Dave, how important do you feel it was to kick off your career with a bang?
Ysengrin: Very important, chap. People often underestimate my fighting abilities for my cultural background. I am a privileged person, went to better schools than most of the buffoons you see fighting on the MMA cards. I like to have a laugh at the poor people whilst punching their degenerate brethren in the faces, then I drive off with my chauffeur whilst they go back to poverty for most of them will never make it, their blood is bad whereas mine is as pure as it can be.
What: What makes you hold wealth in such high esteem in mixed martial arts?
Ysengrin: I only mean i choose to do this, they do it because they are forced to. They have nothing else in their miserable lives other than slums. Ha, this one time me and my chums from Eton went to the poor people area and offered £50 to some local lad if he ran head first into a wall. Being the fool he was he did it, but he knocked himself out cold doing so, we filmed it and left. Me and the lads love a bit of banter and that was hilarious.
What: When the cage door closes, it is still all a bit of banter?
Ysengrin: I'll be bantering to my grave. I'm like, the ultimate lad. They don't call me Bantonio Banteras for nothing.
What: Was he in the Lads of Zorro? What do you feel is next for you? Will it be business or usual or do you think you'll get more of a challenge in your next outing? Is there anyone you are interested in facing?
Ysengrin: As for the Lads of Zorro, i will neither confirm or deny these rumours. What the lads do at Eton stays in Eton and I will be having words with some of them about this. I sincerely hope the next poor person i face will offer me more of a challenge, but those European folk don't know much and being hit by savage mongrels just makes me want to hit them back. There's that Scot that no good person is able to understand, Arthur something or other. I think he needs to stop stuffing haggis in his mouth put down the Irn Bru and face a proper Englishman who will send him on his way back over the border. My hatred of Scots stems from my Percy ancestors. I have to go now, I need to call father and ask him to give me my allowance and phone Mummy telling her all about this 'Island'. Then phone my many brothers to check in on them, sometimes its hard being a Ysengrin all of those brothers achieving their fame at a young age and i'm stuck on this rock.
What: I'm sure you will have plenty of oppoertunities for fame in Highland Challengers. Thank you for your time and good luck with your next fight.

"So Daddy refused my allowance, so i had to beg for some companies to give me some money. So far only Mr Pro gave me some money from Vikai, some Scottish savage refused me saying i must train with peasants in a peasant gym.

*Sigh*

The things i do for money. I guess i am going to become a poor street urchin for the foreseeable future. I hope you are happy at what you have driven me too!"

What's Up?
Interviews with Jim What
http://www.mmatycoon.com/gallery/11/11w11.jpg
Phil Hellmuth Jr Interview (1-0)
What: It was a fantastic performance which led to Phill Hellmuth Jr picking up a TKO victory over Archie MacDuff at HC 1. Phil, do you feel that you successfully implemented your gameplan in the match up?
Hellmuth Jr: First of all I want to let everyone know - I'm the best poker player fighter in the world! Answering your question - everything went just as I excepted, although I took several unnecessary shots from that idiot from northern Europe

Phil Hellmuth is known in poker community for his temperamental "poker brat" personality
"idiot from northern europe" is a poker meme

What: Is striking something you will focus on coming into your next fight then?
Hellmuth Jr: Definitely yes. Ground game is for pussies.
What: Are there any of your professional poker skills that can cross over into mixed martial arts?
Hellmuth Jr: Bluffing is very important in MMA too! They think I will cut them with my right elbow - BAM - I cut them with my left elbow!
What: Were the lads around at the poker weary of your martial arts training while trying to raise the stakes around the table?
Hellmuth Jr: Everyone knows I like MMA. I was a biggest fan of the Chuck Liddell, he is my inspiration.
What: So as an MMA fighter by day and a poker player by night, I'm sure you have a pretty crazy schedule. What is a typical day for Phillip Hellmuth Jr?
Hellmuth Jr: I don't want to answer this question, next!

What: The mind boggles to think what secrets you're holding back from us. I'm sure the press will release them in time haha. So what message can you send to your future opponents about what they might have in store?
Hellmuth Jr: I'm the best in both worlds poker and MMA, good luck guys, you will need it!
  • Upvote 3

What's Up?
Interviews with Jim What
http://www.mmatycoon.com/gallery/14/14b3.jpg
Hugh Janus Interview (1-0)
What: Hugh Janus joins us to give us his thoughts on Highland Challengers 1. Thanks for being with us Hugh. You impressed everyone with your extremely slick submission skills in your fight with Roger Bennett. Just how far do you think you can go in this Featherweight division?
Janus: The division is seems to be packed with talent, but most of the guys are untested. I know there's a couple of fights at 145 coming up on the May 24 card, after them I think we'll get a better idea of who the contenders are in this division. Regardless of that, I know I will be working harder than any of them and that there is nobody who can stop me from rising right to the top of this division.
What: I personally was highly impressed by how fluid your ground game was, and how you dictated every second of the action of the fight. Are these things you specifically train for or do you adapt to the fight once you're in there?
Janus: I pride myself on my ground game, it's something I have been working on for many years. That being said, my manager and I put a great deal of planning into each of my fights. We knew that Bennett had strong Mauy Thai, so it was important to get the fight to the ground quickly where I had the advantage. This time, the fight played out exactly how we had expected, but this won't always be the case, so I am just as capable of adapting to how the fight plays out.
What: You're still a bit of a question mark to the casual fan. Is there anything you can tell us about yourself that the internet hasn't found out already?
Janus: Wow, that's a tough one. Umm, I first got into Jiu Jitsu when I discovered Rento Laranja and watched some of his legendary fights that led him to becoming the 27 time BJJ world champion he is today.
What: Renato was one of The Island Season 3's greatest Bantamweight competitors. Do you feel that you'll be able to recreate some of that success throughout your run?
Janus: I sure do hope so. I'm going to train hard and eat my fruit and vegetables and hopefully everything will fall into place.
What: Well we'll all be tuned in to see if you're able to do it all again the next time you enter the cage. Thanks for talking to us today and good luck in training.
Janus: All right. Thank you and all the best to you as well.
  • Upvote 3