Highland Challengers - Official Thread

I'm gonna get a bit more hands on with Highland Challengers now because Jeff and Nick have been a little bit inactive and I noticed that there is barely anything booked for a card 3 days away. Jeff was awesome so hopefully he can click back with it soon but for the time being I'm gonna try and run it and have Ivan doing everything for me (cheers for that btw Ivan). I might also see if anyone else wants to sub in so I'm not pestering Ivan with 500 messages every day.

Dave is looking forward to the challenge but thinks it will be another 1 sided pounding ending with him retaining the title.

Erik Thorvaldson also wants to fight someone who isnt stupid enough to take him down and get their arms snapped as he would rather KO someone :D

• Upvote 1

http://www.mmatycoon.com/gallery/16/16w17.jpg

Dave "Laddington Bear" Ysengrin

(7-0)

http://www.mmatycoon.com/images/belt/20150505175504hcbelt.png

"That was disappointing. 41 seconds, i wanted a fight. My last two opponents haven't lasted a minute. I want a fight, gimme a GODDAMN FIGHT! I didn't think the peasants on the Island could beat me, so far i am right but surely there is one of you who isn't a complete bum"

Highland Challenge 18 Preview

Fight fans! Get ready for two more title fights at Highland Challenge this Saturday. Expect a high turnover of about 2000 frantic fans looking for ten fighters to find the finish. A mixture but mainly bigger fighters feature next to the welterweight and lightweight championship fights.

170 lbs Championship Fight: Alexander Stubb vs Oliver Dickens

Alexander Stubb (5-0) is looking for his second championship defence. This phenomenal boxer has found the KO in the first round of all five of his fights so far. With a young record the 26 year old Finn still has a long fight career ahead of him, and with such a gifted boxing ability it’s hard to think he won’t become a massive star. On top of this he is developing his wrestling so look for him to be even more competent at controlling the position with every match.

Looking to over throw the champion and re capture his title is Oliver "Smasher" Dickens (4-1), a Brazilian wrestler who relies on taking the fight to the ground. Dickens fought Stubb not too long ago and lost by KO after two and a half minutes. No doubt Dickens has been training on his stand up defence but he will still be more comfortable on the floor. It’ll be interesting to see Stubb tested on the mat but he knows if he is to retain champion the fight has to stay on the feet.

155 lbs Championship Fight: Quintonio Vazquez vs Luiz Diaz

Quintonio "The Vulture" Vazquez (4-0) is looking for his second title defence after an impressive first round TKO with only 5 seconds left on the clock in his first defence. The Cuban is a solid wrester and boxer which so far has made it impossible for an opponent to get the edge over him. If Vasquez can control the fight he seems to be able to dictate the pace and flow allowing him to find his finish. He does however look weak in the clinch, and in his three matches in Highland this has been his biggest weakness. Could this cost him dear?

With only two fights on his record Luiz Diaz (2-0) is now number one contender. The Brazilian is more of an all-round fighter then the champion being confident on the ground with his BJJ and wrestler and strong boxing. Although he is confident in all areas he’s not proven his boxing is anywhere near as strong as Vazquez. But most importantly with only two professional fight is he going to be calm and collected going into such a big fight.

265 lbs: Phil Hellmuth Jr vs Kalle Kettu

Phil "Beep Beep" Hellmuth Jr (4-1) is coming off a three fight win streak by KO. Born and raised Highland Hellmuth has been fighting with HC since day one. With one blemish on his record the American wrestler is looking to build an impressive record. Looking to build his own record is Kalle Kettu (3-2). Finnish boxer will have his wrestling ability tested and try to stand up right having fall short on the ground in previous fights. Hellmuth could trade but should know it’s his to win if he can secure the takedown.

205 lbs: Mel Gordon vs Erick Hull

Canadian Mel Gordon (4-2) is a muay thai fighter with a fantastic knockout ability. Not only has he KOed four fighters but brutally bullied and bloodied all of them. Trying his luck his Erick Hull (3-1) an American fighter who likely matches Gordon’s muay thai. It’ll be interesting to see who wins the clinch and who will stand closest to strike. Both men are capable to stand in the pocket and fight yet Gordon has the advantage of also being a boxer. If he makes space and counters Hull may struggle to find any power in his strikes.

185 lbs: Erik Thorvaldson vs Chong Li

Erik "The Red" Thorvaldson (5-1) has an interesting blend of styles in his ability. He’s an accomplished boxer who has been working on his BJJ yet has no wresting ability. He lost his championship shot by submission so you have to think he’s covering everything he needs to defend against ground based fighters. "The Jeju Cobra" Chong Li (3-1) is a great wrestler but most likely prefer to stay stood up and control the fight against the cage rather than on the ground. Thorvaldson woud possibly win a straight up boxing bout but Li is going to bully him, clinch and make it hard to box effectively.

Lower Card:

145 lbs: Jack Kimura (2-2) [irish/Boxer] vs Hugh Janus (3-2) [Australian/Wrestler]

265 lbs: William Munney (2-0) [American/Muay Thai] vs Magomed Magomedov (1-1) [Russian/Boxer]

205 lbs: Declan Franks (3-2) [Australian/Boxer] vs Ray Reynolds (3-1) [American/Muay Thai]

265 lbs: Crazy Legs (3-2) [bangladeshi/Boxer] vs Archie MacDuff (2-2) [scottish/Boxer]

205 lbs: Marcin Kowalski (3-2) [Polish/Wrestler] vs Jerico Mendez (1-2) [Dominion/Boxer]

Highland Challenge 19 Preview

Fight Night this Wednesday at Highland Games should result in some great matches. With twenty fighters on the bill all with the goal of making their opponents night a short one, this should be a fun one!

185 lbs Main Event: Richard Winters vs Xande Shoyoroll

Dropping his championship Winters (4-2) is going to be a man on a mission to get some wins under his belt and prove he deserves another chance at the middle weight title. The expert boxer relies on the fight staying stood up although he is working hard on his wrestling skills. He is a better fight since he first became champion and should be more equipment to fight of takedown attempts and stay stood.

The Brazilian Xande Shoyoroll (2-1) feels much more comfortable on the floor than he does standing and striking. Also coming off a lose Shoyoroll is going to want to play to his strengths and take the fight to the floor. Once there He’s going to find extremely easy to find the submission over Winters, but getting fight to the floor will be a task. Winters knows that’s where the fight is likely to go so I expect to see a much better submission defence and ground game. If he hasn’t adapted this training the Brazilian will ragdoll him.

145 lbs Co Main: Fred Alsop vs Cale Downes

Also a former champion Fred Alsop (8-1) is coming off an impressive submission win which he’ll want to build a streak upon. He’s a great muay thai fighter with a strong ground game. If he can control Cale "The Doberman" Downes (3-2) he still may not want to fight the brown belt BJJ fighter on the floor. Any submission offense Alsop has you have to think Downes has the ability to stub it. I don’t expect either fighter to stand and trade punches so it’ll be a test of the strongest ground fighter.

205 lbs: Antero Teeri vs Ali Rahim

Coming off his first loss Finnish muay thai expert Teeri (4-1) will be wanting to prove he can still be a star by getting back to wining. He’ll want to put his wrestling to good use by over powering and controlling former kickboxer Rahim (2-1). Making his Highland debut Rahim has a great standup game being able to box. However it’s his muay thai that makes hime such a threat. These two both know clinching is there strength so will they try to overpower each other or will they avoid getting that close?

185 lbs: Dylan Carter vs Oliver Queen

Dylan "Grizzly" Carter (2-1) won his Highland debut with a brutal head kick in a fight that put him on the Highland map! Testing his great standup and ground skills is Oliver Queen (2-2). The American is a good fighter in the clinch and the ground but Carter seems to be the better fighter from what we have seen so far. Carter has word class muay thai and has proven himself a better boxing and wrestling than Queen. This looks to be Carter’s fight to win.

155 lbs: Mathew The Devil vs Jahll Gunacrii

Mathew "Singer" The Devil (4-0) is undefeted going into his Highland debut. He’ll be looking to prove himself with his wrestling control the Brazilian Jahll Gunacrii (3-2). Gunacrii is coming off a loss and although he may not be able to wrestle with Devil his muay thai should allow him to control the fight while standing while in the clinch. I expect this fight to go to the mat where they are close in abilities but Devil is just that much better and may be just that much hungrier for the win.

Lower Card:

145 lbs: Patrick Seery (3-1) [irish/Boxer] vs Douglas Steinhof (0-0) [swedish/Wrestler]

170 lbs: Nicklas Lidstrom (3-2) [American/All-rounder] vs Benjamin Seals (1-0) {American/Muay Thai]

135 lbs: Vincent King (4-1) [American/Boxer] vs Test Speed (4-3) [American/Boxer]

265 lbs: Slade Wilson (2-1) [American/Wrestler] vs Jean Jacques Machado (1-1) [brazilian/Wrestler]

145 lbs: Sammy Hawkins (1-0) [American/All-rounder] vs Anderson Dos Anderez (2-1) [brazilian/All-rounder]

• Upvote 2

Joseph Wright "Man I am ready to get back on track and try and take over this division. Who is next?"

http://www.mmatycoon.com/gallery/36/36w19.jpg

Erik "The Red" Thorvaldson

*chuckles*

"The only thing I will allow you to take over is fixing the broken limbs I leave behind."

• Upvote 1

*chuckles*

"The only thing I will allow you to take over is fixing the broken limbs I leave behind."

Joseph Wright "Let me start by explaining that the competition has increased tremendously over time. When I first got here claiming I would take over the division was easy to say because I could. Now that more have joined I actually have to work at that claim. So though I may not be at your level right now, but I will be. I am working to get to the top, simply because I know I can get there."

• Upvote 1

"It's good to have lofty goals, but make sure they are realistic. I implore you to re-evaluate your skills as you will never take over the division whilst I draw breath."

• Upvote 1

http://www.mmatycoon.com/gallery/0/14304884351148.jpg

Charles Crawley

@Mel Gordon: You've shown some great improvement since we last fought, you've climbed back up to the top of the ladder and are deservedly the number one contender. Unfortunately for you I haven't wasted my time either and have made some improvements of my own. I look forward to facing you once more!

• Upvote 1

http://www.mmatycoon.com/gallery/16/16w17.jpg

Dave "Laddington Bear" Ysengrin

(9-0)

"Wow, he made it past the first minute! He hit me with some good punches, but the Lad's chin is made from fine metals and his fists packed with dynamite. Clean KO which I am happy with, next fight I will be facing a guy who likes to lay on top of people?!?! He must like the pleasures of men but I won't let him do it to me."

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

"Cat Scratch" Shane Sayers (3-1)

"I am ready to make waves in 155! Who will be my first victim? Don't let my finishing rate fools you, I just lack strength training. So I will lift a fat woman everyday and start knocking guys out! "

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Updated the main page. I just put the end date of the titles being a day from now and I'll see if that's what Reggie wants to do. Completely up to him though.

A solid Island season, but there's much more to come from Highland Challengers. We hope the future of both Highland Games and MMA Tycoon will come up through this organisation.

For everyone who was only with us for the season, look out for Highland Kickboxing next year.

• Upvote 1