"World Class Boxer"

It is worth noting that you can also win in amateur (and Olympic) boxing by knockout, so it's not like there's NO reward for punching hard. That said, to knock someone out who's wearing headgear (as they do in amateur/Olympic boxing) requires a pretty good shot...

For those who say that amateur boxers are not as good as pros, it should also be remembered that nearly all pros start out as amateurs, because nearly every boxing commission requires amateur participation before turning pro. There were these two guys I can remember off the top of my head who did really well as amateurs, then did really well as pros, and they were knocking people out throughout their amateur careers...Mike Tyson and Lennox Lewis, anybody? Lewis, for example, had a 75-7 amateur record, with 58 wins by KO...

Oh, definitely. It's very possible to KO guys in amateur, and also totally true that pro boxers are usually amateurs first. I'm just saying that there is a difference between the two, one rewards power strikes more than the other.

Actually they only score power strikes.

Really? How are you defining "power strikes"? And what's your source? Here is a quote from the amateur boxing rules

(a) Concerning blows.

(1) Scoring blows. During each round, a judge shall assess the respective scores of each boxer according to the number of blows obtained by each. Each blow to have scoring value must, without being blocked or guarded, land directly with the knuckle part of the closed glove of either hand on any part of the front or sides of the head or body above the belt. Blows landing as above described are scoring hits. The value of blows scored in a rally of infighting shall be assessed at the end of such rally and shall be credited to the boxer who has had the better of the exchanges according to the degree of said boxer’s superiority.

(2) Non-scoring blows. Non-scoring blows are blows which are struck by a boxer:

(a) while infringing any of the rules;

(B) with the side, heel, or inside of the glove or with the open glove or any part other than the knuckle part of the closed glove;

© which lands on the arms;

(d) which merely connect, without the weight of the body or shoulder.

This generates point fighting. While the rules state that the blow must have force, there is no way to measure it and the judges are left looking for the connection of the blows landing and that's it. Now compare this with the pro boxing rules
# If a boxer is knocked down, a point is deducted from the boxer's score. For example, if the leading fighter (who is rewarded with ten points) knocks down the other fighter, the resulting score would be 10-8 (i.e., the leading boxer was aready ahead, and now, with the knock down, he is an additional point ahead).
And a further quote from how stuff works
Who won the round is mostly based on counting “scoring punches” – punches with the knuckle side of the fist that strike the front or sides of the opponent’s body (above the belt) or head. Olympic judges use a device to track who lands more scoring punches in a round. Fouls are also tracked and affect the scoring (when a boxer commits a foul, his opponent is given two extra punches for the round). Judging a pro boxing match can be more subjective. The judges may count punches, but they also take into consideration aggression, control of the ring, control of the tempo of the fight and damage inflicted. For example, if the red boxer lands a dozen decent jabs in a round, but his opponent, the blue boxer, nails him with two hard hooks late in the round that leave the red boxer dazed and staggered, the judges could very well award the round to the blue boxer.
Which is exactly what I'm talking about.

While I think that a Golden Gloves Champion would have good skills to transfer to MMA, as a golden gloves champion myself, i don't think being a golden gloves champion means a whole lot or at least doesn't equate to "Wonderful" level boxing. I think i'm a better MMA fighter than a boxer. With that said, i wasn't all that successful as a boxer because I fight with a pro style which doesn't score that many points.

wow a GG champ, that's awesome!

Judges certainly don't just look for punches connecting. A punch only counts when it's with power from the shoulder and arm.

Of course pro boxing is scored better... They don't wear helmets to begin with. Also, you probably shouldn't use "how stuff works" as a source if you want to prove that you know what you are talking about. :P

EDIT: I'm going to bed. I've had my dose of arguing for today.

They don't score the power punches, you're just wording it wrong. Clean punches that connect with force, that could even be a stiff jab if it's accurate and looks like it's effective. It's all phrasing, but a noob won't know what the hell you mean when you say power punches and they watch a fight scored in an amature style.

I don't like it personally, kinda a downfall of boxing when they converted and the amatures had no idea how to fight pro lol, but power means nothing. A knockdown counts no more than a stiff clean jab.

Well, that's disappointing - all it says for a Sensational wrestler is "Good wrestler". My guy won the bout through repeated takedowns and some pretty poor G&P, considering his "Remarkable" rating in it. http://www.mmatycoon.com/fightcommentary.php?FTID=56360

We'll see what it says for Muay Thai some time in the next couple of weeks, after I get my Muay Thai guy to Sensational!

Well, that's disappointing - all it says for a Sensational wrestler is "Good wrestler". My guy won the bout through repeated takedowns and some pretty poor G&P, considering his "Remarkable" rating in it. http://www.mmatycoon.com/fightcommentary.php?FTID=56360

We'll see what it says for Muay Thai some time in the next couple of weeks, after I get my Muay Thai guy to Sensational!

total letdown. lol...bah, doesn't matter what it says, only matters what he is.