Increase the weight limit for created fighters from 300 to 500

Zello

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If it were realistic, as you got above 300 lbs the disadvantages would (no pun intended) far outweigh the advantages.

So even if it were made that we could do it, we wouldn't want to.

A 500 pounder might have a lot of extra natural strength and be very hard to get out from under if he was on the top grappling, but would move very, very slowly and thus have to suffer very large penalties to speed and agility that would be an overall disadvantage even with the strength and "difficult to move" advantages the weight would give him.

So they could raise the limit and just have realistic consequences, but that would result in people choosing to limit themselves if the consequences were realistic.

Edited to add:  And energy loss!  That just hit me.  Moving a 500 pound body would cost a lot of energy, much more than moving a 300 lb. one.

I've read some things on this site that suggest that is taken into account (in all weight classes, though the weights are closer outside of Heavyweights and Superheavyweights) but in the lower weight classes more activity is a little bit better strategically because it costs less energy.  If it isn't it ought to be, and a 500 pound guy even with Elite Conditioning would probably be totally gassed after 3 failed attempts to shoot a takedown,

This is pretty much essentially what happens. The perfect example of this is Simon Udovich:

https://www.mmatycoon.com/fighterprofilepublic.php?FID=310981

At an absurd 1,000 lbs, the last fights of his career never made it past the first minute. In total, he was knocked out 19 times in his MMA career- however, it should be noted that he popped a granite chin. Most of these came towards the end of career. This strongly implies that these were “energy KO’s,” where a fighter is easy to knock out after a certain energy loss threshold. However, this was happening within a minute, essentially assuring that such a heavy fighter will gas after 2-3 punches. Conversely, if he landed it was game over. 

Would i bank on this and make all my fighters 500 lb monsters?  Fuck no, but it sure is fun to see the one off absolute mammoth. 

• 1 month later...