Transitions for BJJ focused fighter?

polaris382

Hello, it just occured to me yesterday that perhaps getting transitions high for a BJJ focused fighter with high submissions and flexibility might be kind of wasteful.  Am I off on that or no?  I figure it's more vital to GnP types and those who don't want to stay on the ground.  At least on the surface, that's what it would seem like to me.

• 3 months later...

Honestly I think it's important. If only because if you suck at transitions, and the opponent is good, then he can get side control on you (or a better position) and then you can't submit him. Remember, the transitions secondary helps with getting your transitions, but also in defending your opponent's.

Also I think if your fighter is really bad at transitions, then he can get grinded out by a grappler with better transitions. Such a grappler could simply get positional dominance on your fighter en route to a decision.

I think transitions for anything ground related is really important, even defensively.

Often in tycoon, transitions are viewed in the context of comparing it to escapes.  Even non-ground guys have to usually pick between escapes and transitions due to skill point caps and the majority of points going towards def grap/tdd and striking/clinch stuff.

If you had to pick one between transitions or escapes even for a guy with no interest in the ground game (cause no one likes a points spreader), then a lot of people still pick transitions (though TDD and Def Grap are prioritised more).

For a guy who WANTS to be on the ground, it's even more of a no brainer. Transitions to cut through their guard and hopefully get into a dominant position like their back for easier subs. Even if you think transitions are solely for GNP focused guys and you're running a sub focused guy, it's still important. All the top ground guys who fight in MMA in this game (so not the grapple only guys) all need SOME GNP to keep the ref standups away.