Top vs bottom grappling

Just a question about how wrestling and bjj interact with top/bottom position.

Say i have a fighter who's a bad wrestler but good at bjj, will he do much better from his back then on top? And say i have a guy who's a good wrestler and good at bjj, would he be better off on top? or equally dangerous from both positions? I assume good wrestler/bad bjj would always want top position.

Assume this is for subs/positioning only, b/c obv gnp would want to be top no matter what.

Just a question about how wrestling and bjj interact with top/bottom position.

Say i have a fighter who's a bad wrestler but good at bjj, will he do much better from his back then on top? And say i have a guy who's a good wrestler and good at bjj, would he be better off on top? or equally dangerous from both positions? I assume good wrestler/bad bjj would always want top position.

Assume this is for subs/positioning only, b/c obv gnp would want to be top no matter what.

If your on your back you will try subs or try sweeps to get top position. If he starts on top he may try some leg locks or to advance position then go for subs.

I don't really get this either.

As BJJ guys 98/99% of the time want to be on top in an MMA fight anyway. the 1 or 2% is when they have the triangle locked in from mount and want to finish it :)

I don't really get this either.

As BJJ guys 98/99% of the time want to be on top in an MMA fight anyway. the 1 or 2% is when they have the triangle locked in from mount and want to finish it :)

BJJ use their guard from their back. From here they can use a wide variety of sweeps and subs

Wrestlers are the ones who want to be on top not BJJ practitioners

BJJ use their guard from their back. From here they can use a wide variety of sweeps and subs

Wrestlers are the ones who want to be on top not BJJ practitioners

and where would the sweep get them?... to a better position, so why choose to be on the bottom?

Top control is undoubtly better for BJJ guys in MMA.

Such personalities as Royce Gracie and Mike Tycoon (didn't expect to see those names listed together, huh?) have mentioned in the past that, even for BJJ guys, being on top is better. The difference between them and wrestlers is that wrestlers can't be effective off their backs, and BJJ guys are still dangerous. The reason you'd want to set to stay on bottom is to not waste time and effort trying to get on top and instead go for the finish from the bottom

Such personalities as Royce Gracie and Mike Tycoon (didn't expect to see those names listed together, huh?)

I read it as Mike Tyson so yes i didnt expect them to be together :D

Makes sense top is always better since even if BJJ guys are great off their backs they are in more danger there from GnP etc than if they were on top