i think my kid is heading down a mma path

lol he really likes those leg sweeps haha good luck remember let your kid do what he wants trust me hes going to do it somehow anyway its better just to encourge him also look in your area for best highschool wrestling/middle school wrestling type schools they will help your son understand the game better and he'll be able to train with the best, and make sure you get him into some strikeing classes theres a reason why everyone wants to go to a good mauy thai gym :] good luck

stick with grappling until teens kids like that stuff more

Good advice, striking is hard for young kids as very few of them have the mentality for it early on. Maybe when he's a bit older see if he wants to learn a striking discipline.

Above everything though listen to what he wants, don't put any undue pressure on him, the emphasis should be on having fun and developing. If he has talent and the right mentality; you'll know.

There are many that have the talent but don't do anything with it, there are many that have the mentality but not the talent, there are few that have both together.

All that said you have a talented and enthusiastic son from what i can see and that's a dream come true for any sport loving Dad.

Awesome stuff--I've been practicing Judo for nearly 20 years off and on. It's a great base to go along with wrestling. Disregarding his potential MMA future for a moment...being involved in martial arts at an early age just gives so many numerous advantages..such as overall fitness, balance, self confidence etc.

Somewhere around 10 years old I would suggest he takes up some Kyokushin Karate, Kickboxing, Muay Thai, or boxing. At the very least, I think they make for great self defense.

I wrestled from about 10-18, but was always too tall and lanky to be great at it. Started doing bjj at 20 and realized how much my wrestling base helped me over other beginners. Unfortunately there are no grappling gyms nearby, but I've been hitting the local boxing gym 4 days a week. I have a 4 year old son and he's already showing keen interest. I can't wait!

• 3 weeks later...
Lol, yeah, me too.

I started judo at 8 yrs of age. Gave it up for football (soccer), then 20 yrs later, starting kick-boxing!

Thats kinda like me, i did Jiu Jitsu and boxing when i was aroun 7-8, then i gave it up to play football which i stopped when i was around 23 and then at 28 i started Thai Boxing which i still do.

Wish i had just stuck to the combat sports all the way through now.