It's now Jones vs Belfort at UFC 152

PBR

Jon Jones will now face former champion Vitor Belfort for the UFC light heavyweight championship on September 22 in Toronto, as today's bizarre series of events has taken yet another twist.

Jones was originally slated to face Dan Henderson at UFC 151 in Las Vegas; however, Henderson was forced to withdraw this week due to a knee injury. Polarizing former middleweight Chael Sonnen was offered the replacement spot and it briefly appeared that UFC 151 would take place with Jones vs. Sonnen as the headliner. However, Jones ultimately declined the fight, forcing the unprecedented cancellation of an entire UFC event.

This morning, UFC president Dana White announced that Jones would face former champion Lyoto Machida in a rematch that would headline the UFC 152 event on September 22. Machida earned the contender spot with his showcase knockout of Ryan Bader earlier this month. But this time it was Machida who declined the opportunity, opening the door for fellow Brazilian Belfort to earn the nod.

Belfort had been penciled in to fight Alan Belcher at middlewight at UFC 153 in Rio; a replacement for that fight will be announced in coming days.

more craziness...on top of that, Anderson volunteered to fight at 151 against a LHW fighter to save the event but Dana had already cancelled the card.

im actually fine with Lyoto not fighting Jones so soon. why Vitor though? they couldnt find anyone at LHW? let Gustafsson have his shot. him and Jones are both young and they could fight again one day if Alex loses. either way, i hope Vitor blitzes him and knocks him out...would be a great ending to all this ridiculousness from today.

OMG this is so exciting! Lets go BELFORT!

Im actually real happy to see that Silva was willing to save the card. He had nothing to gain and so much to lose in that risk. Who could he have fought at LHW? I don't think anyone would have taken the risk to fight Silva at LHW haha

Who could Silva fight at LHW?

Doubt anyone would want to fight him.

Well if he was willing to go up they should have just done the Jones vs Silva fight. That's 1 option.

You're probably right though. I don't think Jones would take that one either.

more craziness...on top of that, Anderson volunteered to fight at 151 against a LHW fighter to save the event but Dana had already cancelled the card.

That's another thing that pisses me off, they had so many options to save that card. It didn't have to be Jon Jones. I still think Jones is a coward for not accepting a fight with Chael. Between the UFC and Jon Jones and shitty cards, MMA just pisses me off anymore.

Bweeeeek! Vitor Belfort? You got to be kidding me. Belfort has the most consistent track record when it comes to failing at the top level. Most of those opponents were nowhere nearly as good as Jones either. I would've much, much rather have seen Belfort vs Belcher. That would've been a far better fight.

I'm interested in knowing who Anderson proposed to fight. I doubt that it would have been any of the top level guys. I think Anderson is interested in completing his contract as soon as possible so he can retire. So I'm glad that UFC 151 didn't become Anderson vs Hamill or something.

probably anyone who would step in there with him -- even if it was chael again

Let's be honest, probably not just anybody. Anderson hasn't always been the easiest to agree to matchups either. That's why it's surprising and an interesting question as to who he wanted to fight.

The only way I can see Belfort winning is, oddly enough, by taking Jones down..

i dont think thats the only way he can win -- his hands are quick enough that he could take jones out but he would have to go back to old school vitor (the one we all like to see) and he hasnt done that in yrs -- get inside to avoid jones reach and elbows -- he comes out cautious like he did with anderson he is gonna get laid out again -- he will need to go balls out and not give jones time to think or set up

Jones has shitty power and his chin hasnt been tested. Vitor has power in everything he throws. Kicks, knees, punche. He also has a chin. I think he has a damn good chance to win this. He is a head case and i can see him quitting if he gets takedown and beat on. But he has the game to be defense there is he tries. Jones has only fought 2 guys who have the speed to hit him(Evans and Machida) and only 1 guy who had the speed and power to hit and hurt him (Machida). Vitor will be the first one who has both speed and power and he aggression to actually go after him. The other guys are counter guys who are pre defensive and sit on the outside and wait. Thier chances at his chin were few and far between. People forget he was all over Silva early and i dont think Jones would survive an onslaught like that. He is ell rounded enough to i think he lasts a very long time if not to a decision. I cant believe Vegas has opend up with him at +700. Thats basically saying this is the biggest mismatch in UFC title fight history. I look for the Jones hatred to shove that down to +400 where it should be.

• Upvote 1

Jones has shitty power and his chin hasnt been tested. Vitor has power in everything he throws. Kicks, knees, punche. He also has a chin. I think he has a damn good chance to win this. He is a head case and i can see him quitting if he gets takedown and beat on. But he has the game to be defense there is he tries. Jones has only fought 2 guys who have the speed to hit him(Evans and Machida) and only 1 guy who had the speed and power to hit and hurt him (Machida). Vitor will be the first one who has both speed and power and he aggression to actually go after him. The other guys are counter guys who are pre defensive and sit on the outside and wait. Thier chances at his chin were few and far between. People forget he was all over Silva early and i dont think Jones would survive an onslaught like that. He is ell rounded enough to i think he lasts a very long time if not to a decision. I cant believe Vegas has opend up with him at +700. Thats basically saying this is the biggest mismatch in UFC title fight history. I look for the Jones hatred to shove that down to +400 where it should be.

Definitely agree, it's by no means a certainty that Belfort will win or even that he'll put up a good fight, it depends on which Belfort turns up. I'd still make Jones the favourite in the fight. However, Belfort certainly has the tools to beat Jones, I suspect he's almost been hand picked due to that reason. The UFC would love nothing more than to get the title of Jones now. Hope Belfort smashes him, time will tell.

Definitely agree, it's by no means a certainty that Belfort will win or even that he'll put up a good fight, it depends on which Belfort turns up. I'd still make Jones the favourite in the fight. However, Belfort certainly has the tools to beat Jones, I suspect he's almost been hand picked due to that reason. The UFC would love nothing more than to get the title of Jones now. Hope Belfort smashes him, time will tell.

I just don't see it. What Belfort did ever win a fight against a great opponent? Jones is going to have his way with him. He's going to put him against the cage, put him on the floor and Belfort is going to watch as it all happens. Remember how much help he got from the referee against Johnson.