BJ Penn VS. Anderson Silva Fantasy

BJ Penn has put people's money where there mouth is in his last 2 fights against Sanchez and Florian. Beating both without even seeming to break a sweat. Many questioned his cardio coming into both fights. It seems to me that with him taking his training seriously now that he is going to dominate lightweight like Silva does middleweight. My question is if they both had the size to fight in the same weight division together...

Who Would Be The Winner?

if you put penn up against silva as they are now then silva would have a serious advantage simply based on size and reach. If you eliminate the size difference then Penn would probably take it. Although Penn's boxing is probably second to none in MMA, silva's striking is second to none. Where Penn would take this is through his granite chin, his wrestling, and his superior BJJ. Once penn get the fight to the ground, he'll do what he does with all other blackbelts... beat them up and tap them out.

If BJ gave Machida all he could handle, he can give Anderson all he can handle.

I'm not saying BJ would win, but he's the true definition of a P4P fighter and isn't an easy fight for anyone who fights at LHW and under.

I'm pretty sure it'd be an easy win for Silva. Bouncing, and bobbing his head back n forth. Unless BJ has a chin like Cabbage then I doubt he'd last long at all.

It would be a hell of a matcup probably, although my first thought when i read this was BJ would take the role of Diego Sanchez and Anderson would play BJ Penn in this epic.

silva. he's got a better reach, better clinch game, and i don't think bj is better than silva at striking or ground game.

Same size and first thing you come up with is better reach. :D Silva's ground game is excellent, but there's no room to argue that BJ's isn't better. Anderson two questionable losses on his record, two by submission, while Penn only lost to UFC champions. According to Freddy Roach, who trained with Anderson Silva, BJ's boxing is also better.

Anderson has a better clinchgame and good kicks, but never faced anybody with standup nearly as good as Penn. I'd say Penn is good enough on the feet and has more tools on the ground. The only fighters I see beating Penn at the moment are excellent wrestlers with decent standup like GSP.

if you put penn up against silva as they are now then silva would have a serious advantage simply based on size and reach. If you eliminate the size difference then Penn would probably take it. Although Penn's boxing is probably second to none in MMA, silva's striking is second to none. Where Penn would take this is through his granite chin, his wrestling, and his superior BJJ. Once penn get the fight to the ground, he'll do what he does with all other blackbelts... beat them up and tap them out.

Peaople said Lutter would submit Anderson also if it went to the ground what happened.

Id have to take Penn in this one. I dont think its because he is better p4p but its a bad matchup for Silva. Penn could take him down imo and on the ground Penn has a big advantage. I know Silva is blackbelt but not on the same level as Penn. standing the edge has to go to Silva but thats all it is an edge. Penn is a good counter striker and doesnt go chasing guys which is what Anderson wants.

Id take Penn via RNC in the 3rd

Same size and first thing you come up with is better reach. :D Silva's ground game is excellent, but there's no room to argue that BJ's isn't better. Anderson two questionable losses on his record, two by submission, while Penn only lost to UFC champions. According to Freddy Roach, who trained with Anderson Silva, BJ's boxing is also better.

Anderson has a better clinchgame and good kicks, but never faced anybody with standup nearly as good as Penn. I'd say Penn is good enough on the feet and has more tools on the ground. The only fighters I see beating Penn at the moment are excellent wrestlers with decent standup like GSP.

i took that to mean the same weight, not identical bodies...

even if you shrink silva down a bit in size and make him shorter/lighter than he is now, he'd still be the taller/longer fighter against bj.

Silva's ground game is excellent, but there's no room to argue that BJ's isn't better. Anderson two questionable losses on his record, two by submission, while Penn only lost to UFC champions. According to Freddy Roach, who trained with Anderson Silva, BJ's boxing is also better.

Have to agree with this. I recall Roach saying BJ's boxing was better. If Silva doesn't get it in the clinch I don't see him winning.

I'm pretty sure it'd be an easy win for Silva. Bouncing, and bobbing his head back n forth. Unless BJ has a chin like Cabbage then I doubt he'd last long at all.

There is a big difference between Rich Franklin and BJ Penn. These video's should articulate that point fairly well.

Machida vs Rich Frainklin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Df6JqoeJ6tw

Machida vs BJ Penn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsax3njvkHU&feature=fvw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDgNhVrSRuQ...feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQvz8F8wY3s...feature=related

As far as BJ's chin goes. He's been knocked out as many times as Anderson has faced great strikers.

This thread is funny to me I'm shocked at how many people think Penn would win or even have a chance.

Well, maybe not everybody watches felony fights to become a mixed martial arts expert. :P

I think BJ's only weakness is a GSP-caliber wrestler that can take him (and keep him) down relentlessly. I also think that's Anderson's only weakness. I think they're pretty close in striking. BJ has the better Boxing, Silva has the better MT. On the ground, I think BJ has an edge.

I think if Anderson kept it standing, he could eventually clinch BJ up against the cage and deliver enough kness for the TKO, but if BJ could bring it to the ground I like his chances.

BJ's chin holds up against the pillow fisted LWs. Aside from Pulver, I don't really think BJ ever fought a power puncher with good hands. Anderson is not a power puncher but he hits you exactly where he should virtually every time. BJ would be sleeping within 2 rounds.

Thank you, and yes I agree. Silva could fight Rampage, Penn would get mauled by a Rampage, or even Wanderlei. In my honest opinion of course. I just don't know why people think the 155-170 BJ Penn could stand and bang with Silva.

Steeve, that was pretty funny comment lol

What about Machida? Is he a pillow fisted LW? BJ took some good shots from him. He has the round head, small chin and big jaw that make his head excellent to absorb punches. Also it's about same size, so don't start about pillow handed lightweights. No BJ wouldn't be sleeping in two rounds. Anderson is a good striker, but I've seen him train on video, I've seen him spar and I've heard what experts said about him and I think he's much overrated in the eyes of the fans. BJ on the other hand gets praised by the best boxing coach on the planet for having the best boxing in MMA. Aside from that he is one of the best ground fighters and has excellent wrestling. That's way to much for Andy to handle :D

What about Machida? Is he a pillow fisted LW? BJ took some good shots from him. He has the round head, small chin and big jaw that make his head excellent to absorb punches. Also it's about same size, so don't start about pillow handed lightweights. No BJ wouldn't be sleeping in two rounds. Anderson is a good striker, but I've seen him train on video, I've seen him spar and I've heard what experts said about him and I think he's much overrated in the eyes of the fans. BJ on the other hand gets praised by the best boxing coach on the planet for having the best boxing in MMA. Aside from that he is one of the best ground fighters and has excellent wrestling. That's way to much for Andy to handle :D

Tell that to Forrest Griffin.

Who would prolly beat BJ Penn.