More Hidden Stats?

This idea came about considering how quickly a consensus has been established regarding which hidden stats are important to check on creation. There are 10 options but the cognoscenti suggest there are basically 4 worth choosing: KO Power, Granite Chin, Fast Learner, Big Heart (maybe popular if you're making a sparbot).

I'll cover the reasons for this briefly:

1. Intelligence - This doesn't get picked because of how much we obsess about our sliders.

2. Experience - This doesn't get picked because it improves over time anyway

3. Injury - This doesn't get picked because the limit seems to be 14 days, which is the standard interval between fights anyway

4. Confidence - This doesn't get picked because the wiki says it can be countered with tactics

5. Cuts - This probably should get picked but it doesn't because the big 4 are more important.

6. Popular - This gets picked for sparbots because duh.

I would suggest either making the above lepers more important or adding/substituting something like these:

1. Natural Athlete - affects physicals training like learner does for the primary/secondaries.

2. Workout Warrior - affects innate energy recovery

3. Steel resolve - affects changes to morale, reducing negative shifts, which may become popular if some proposed changes to morale shifts are enacted

4. Business major - affects money in a weird way: all transactions continue to happen at face value, but the business major's cut consists of shares & other investments which tweak his value up or down depending on his savvy. This could be popular for new managers, especially if it affects part-time training, gym discounts, etc. Again, the gym/org owner gets paid original price, but the fighter receives more or less depending on this stat.

It's true, from what I can gather, that the Hidden attributes you listed are way less popular.

Would the new ones you've proposed be able to be implemented, or make the game better? I don't know.

Giving the "unpopular 6" more of an impact might be easier/better.

• Upvote 1

i would skip the business major but i'm all for the other ones added in....at least 3 of the 6 you listed above can be completely removed with no complaints so subbing these in would only add to and switch up the fighters a little more

could always lower it so that you can only give a boost to ONE hidden stat. that way it makes the choice more difficult, without convoluting it with more hiddens than aren't really necessary right now.

or, you could place values on the individual hiddens, and have it so that you have so many points (or "tokens") to use in "purchasing" the bonuses during fighter creation.

example: you have 10 tokens to use to add bonus points to hidden attributes.

big heart- costs 3 tokens

fast learner- costs 5 tokens

popular- costs 2 tokens

experienced- costs 2 tokens

ko power- costs 5 tokens

solid chin- costs 5 tokens

hard to cut/injur- costs 3 tokens

confident- costs 2 tokens

intelligent- costs 2 tokens

this way you have to make the choice between getting just 2 boosts to the more powerful stuff (like fast learner and ko power), or as many as 5 of the lesser attributes like popularity and confidence. obviously that could be fleshed out a lot more, but that's the general idea.

• Upvote 1

Not a bad idea at all. The only thing is that there are ten thousand fighters with three of the hiddens around already. =)

true, but i think a change like the "token" idea would somewhat solve the issue of everyone picking the same bonuses, without really hindering them too much. even with the current ability to pick 3 bonuses, it's still a roll of the dice anyway and with the changes there will still be plenty of fighters that end up with better hiddens than existing fighters.

While a good idea, the token idea wouldn't give the newer created fighters an even playing field. I really like the OP's idea.

that's about as even as it can get if you're making a change to something like hidden attributes. adding NEW stuff that older fighters don't have would be far less fair.

i'm fine with new stuff being added, i'm just saying that when making a change like that it's nearly impossible to keep everything a completely even playing field. someone's going to have an advantage early on, and then it will even itself out.

im actually perfectly happy with the way it is currently set up.

the one that i do like if it wer to be implemented would be the natural athlete. it could work where once you select it then you can go back and add in extra athletic points at the time of creation.

• 2 weeks later...

Very, very good ideas. The "token" solution is the only real way to solve the imbalance in what hiddens you choose.

Face it, granite chin, fast learner and ko power are basically the best things to choose. Its a bit booring but very true.

Something called predatory instinct would be great - the ability to jump och the bandwagon and finish a fight as the opportunity arises!

Overall very good post, I am sure some of the following will be implemented in the future. As for the "balance thing", you just add the new hiddens with new randomized numbers on existing fighters, it might mean a champ gets a chink in the armour, so what? We need to evolve.

intelligence and confident are picked by a lot and overlooked a bunch buy others

very true

it irritates me to no end when something gets posted and then later on gets quoted as fact. nothing in this game is fact. its all strictly opinion.

mike even said himself that intelligence and confidence plays a bigger part than what most ppl realize. its just a matter of who takes the time to try and understand it

The token idea would be good, except that fighters would start with 10 tokens and existing fighters often have 15 tokens' worth, such that it's not fair to new fighters.

The best thing would be to globally (for new and existing fighters) give bigger bonuses to the hidden attribute for the less popular attributes (not lowering the bonus for the most popular ones, and not applying it only to new fighters, so it's fair to existing fighters as well).

• 11 years later...

I like the token idea, and as to existing fighters having essentially 15 and new fighters having 10, counter that by either giving new fighters 15 or make the bonus to those chosen fighters created under the token system +40 rather than +30, so they can't pick as "good" of the 3 attributes to give bonuses to, but those they chose would get bigger bonuses.