I tryd out for TUF 12 yesterday

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fedor is a combat sambo fighter which is the closest thing to MMA in a martial art. He isn't a judoka. He is a sambo stylist.

Doesn't he have a bronze medal in some national judo competition? I got to agree with Steeve about the collegiate system favouring wrestlers in large numbers etc.

On to Jeff Smith, it would be very cool to have some sort of connection, however small, with someone on TUF. Good luck.

BJJ is far greater in MMA then Judo, look at all the best fighters. All BJJ Blackbelts

+1 Judo is for getting people to the ground, BJJ ends the fight while it's on the ground

you are soooooooooooooo wrong lol Aoki is a black belt in bjj. and Gracie learned JIU JITSU NOT JUDO until later from Maeda. and jiu jitsu is a japanese martial art. the gracies just refined it.

I was wrong about Aoki, but I'm willing to check out credible sources. :) Gracies learned to fight from Maeda. Carlos said it, Helio said it and it's pretty well documented on the internet. I think Fedor got a master of sports title from doing judo. He won a bronze medal in the national championships. I think that qualifies him as a judoka.

I was wrong about Aoki, but I'm willing to check out credible sources. :) Gracies learned to fight from Maeda. Carlos said it, Helio said it and it's pretty well documented on the internet. I think Fedor got a master of sports title from doing judo. He won a bronze medal in the national championships. I think that qualifies him as a judoka.

BJ entered a judo competition as a white belt and submitted every black belt he faced. Does that make him a judoka too?

BJ entered a judo competition as a white belt and submitted every black belt he faced. Does that make him a judoka too?

Fedor competed for years solely in judo, earned a black belt, then master in sports and won a bronze medal in the national championships. If that doesn't make you a judoka, than Muhammed Lawal is not a wrestler. The creator of sambo also happened to be a judo black belt. The only evidence I could find of BJ Penn facing black belts is a black and white video. They looked like blue belts to me.

I'm sorry for ruining this thread. :( I can't help to discuss when I don't agree.

Its not ruining the thread, its bumping it so Jeff can get more publicity as a fighter. It would be dead by now if not.

I'm kind of curious what the tryouts entail though. How many instructors were there? What was the interview process like? OR have you not done that yet?

On the Judoka vs other people discussion. I would own anyone, case closed.

I dont know yet Ak....getn worried alittle but hey at least i know i can hold my own with anyone thats going to be on the show. Still have my hopes up, my bud Kris McCray is on the show now and said it took them two weeks to call him.....so you never know. By the way Kris is my pick to win the show! He is a animal, me and him use to fight on the same cards in the VA amy circuit....beast!

I dont know yet Ak....getn worried alittle but hey at least i know i can hold my own with anyone thats going to be on the show. Still have my hopes up, my bud Kris McCray is on the show now and said it took them two weeks to call him.....so you never know. By the way Kris is my pick to win the show! He is a animal, me and him use to fight on the same cards in the VA amy circuit....beast!

I think it would be safe to say that everyone has there fingers crossed for you to get in. Partly to wish you will and partly so people can go around saying I've spoken to that person on a forum.

Isn't the world of the internet awesome.

I think it would be safe to say that everyone has there fingers crossed for you to get in. Partly to wish you will and partly so people can go around saying I've spoken to that person on a forum.

Isn't the world of the internet awesome.

CW have u ever fainted at a Michael Jackson concert?

good luck to u Jeff "the frugal gourmet" Smith

Fedor competed for years solely in judo, earned a black belt, then master in sports and won a bronze medal in the national championships. If that doesn't make you a judoka, than Muhammed Lawal is not a wrestler. The creator of sambo also happened to be a judo black belt. The only evidence I could find of BJ Penn facing black belts is a black and white video. They looked like blue belts to me.

I'm sorry for ruining this thread. :( I can't help to discuss when I don't agree.

And he still gets taken down consistently by good wrestlers. Some good that judo black belt does him...

I should point out that there is a reason Rogan, who is very BJJ biased and comes from a TKD and BJJ background with 0 wrestling, says that wrestling is the best base for MMA. Respect him or not, he knows the sport inside and out. He and I disagree on which style of wrestling is the best but nonetheless, he still says wrestling is the best way to start. I bet you can find 1000 other fighters who agree with him. Furthermore, I doubt you will hear ANY of them say judo.

I'm a BJJ guy, but to be fair at this point in the evolution of MMA I would say that wrestling is the best base for a fighter, simply because it gives you a greater say in where the fight takes place. Having the ability to control your opponent and dictate where the fight occurs is a huge advantage; not being able to do so means you'll always be forced to compete in the part of the game where your opponent feels he has the advantage. And simply put, no discipline is better at dictating the location of the fight than wrestling.

A black belt in BJJ doesn't do you much good if you can't get your opponent to the ground. Awesome standup won't help you if you can't stop your opponent from driving you to the mat with a double leg and proceeding to pound on your face.

Having said that, nobody that wants to be a top fighter can afford to be one dimensional any more. If a great wrestler doesn't know standup, he's going to get blasted with a knee or an uppercut as he shoots in for a takedown. If he doesn't know submission defense he's going to take a BJJ fighter down only to end up taking a nap or tapping to an armbar.

In my opinion, all these discussions about which discipline is superior are antiquated. The days when a practitioner of a single martial art is able to dominate the competition is long past. You can still specialize in one area, but you had better have a well-rounded game or you simply will not succeed at a high level.

If you're primarily a stand-up fighter, your wrestling would focus more on preventing takedowns and your ground training would focus more on escapes and defense. If you're primarily a ground fighter, your wrestling would focus more on getting takedowns and your stand-up training would focus more on defense and set-ups. But you've got to have knowledge of all areas of the game, or you're not going to excel.

Wrestling is the best base since you can go either two ways BJJ or Stand-up adding little of the other.

but still if you have a Striking focus you have to learn wrestling.

if you have a bjj base you have to learn striking.(tbh if you can be a deadly striker with having a ADCC world champ you're good to go)

if you have judo........well judo......uhhh let's say you need to learn everything but throws.