Biggest MMA Scumbag?

TK

I know what Yvel did, it's not like I'm defending him, but Yvel attacked the referee because he was an asshole. This guy is just a psycho. He punches a random guy for no reason.

This guy punches a guy he was already supposed to be fighting. Lots of fighters make their opponent out to be the devil to inspire them to train and some carry that into the ring. Not to mention we dont know if there was a lot of trash talking between the two leading up to this fight. Things like that happen all the time. This wasnt some random guy. Yvel does crazy things all the time. This guy doesnt even compare to Yvel. Just like Daley vs Kos. I dont agree with what he did but knowing how much trash talk there was, how frustrating it is to be dry humped for 15 minutes, then half Kos talking trash in your ear the last minute of the fight. You understand where his actions come from. We dont know if that happened for this guy. But Yvel has done things multiple times. He flips out anytime soemthing dont go his way and not just on fighters but on defenseless people like the ref.

This guy punches a guy he was already supposed to be fighting.

Nope he wasn't supposed to fight him before the bell. Argument fail. This is the guy's first fight btw, which gives him a 100% DQ percentage. Nice!

About the smaller organizations...

If you think that's bad you should try to find The Outsider. A amateur MMA group made by Akira Maeda (the RINGS and HERO'S creator). However it's just a bunch of low lives and gang members trying to fight.

There was one video on YouTube before it got taken down due to copyright. A really quick knockout. The guy was knocked out was part of a biker group and his entire gang stormed the ring. And the events that Maeda puts on unfortunately attract those people too.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2009/8/21/99810...ast-ko-from-the Read the posts...

Hell there was rumors that Hiroyuki Takaya's biker gang was causing trouble at DREAM.11.

@ Brainsmasher

Firstly that footage is early cage rage around 2002/03 , the promotion closed down like 3 years ago so its hardly new, plus that was from its very early days.

The names of events as someone else said in this thread smack of underground crap and attract all the wrong sort of attention to the sport, they don't 'give people energy'.

MMA wants to get away from the underground cage fighting reputation, it want to be recognised as mixed martial arts and not 'brawling' in a cage so in my opinion names with things like 'brawl' in don't give the events a professional feel.

Cage Rage in the end was a decent promotion and despite some crappy production values attracted some big names, Anderson Silva was their last MW champion, Paul Daley was the last Welterweight champion, Vitor Belfort was the last Light Heavyweight champion while Antonio Silva (strikeforce) was the last HW champion, other notable fighters were Murilio Rua, Phil Baroni and Ken Shamrock. Not bad for such an amateur promotion in a land where MMA is still full of street thugs....and that was 3 years ago.

Great points, I disagree with Yvel being the dirtiest fighter. Obviously that award goes to this guy. Yvel usually does it for something personal, for this nutcase it's just random, really didn't matter who was standing in front of him, he was going to punch him.

You also obviously don't realise how old the footage is, well done sir your worldly mma knowledge is overwhelming.

I'll say it again, the promotion closed 2-3 years ago...i just looked up what event that was from and it was in 2005, 5 years ago, half a decade. No UK MMA is not where the American MMA is but that did start in 1993.

Despite how 'bad' it is we still produce enough decent fighters to completely own a season of TUF against the more experienced mma nation.

Like i said in my last post, that 'amateur' promotion had some fighters in it that few American promotions other than the UFC and strikeforce can say they have had.

funny there are thousands of MMA events that use those names in the USA many i have attented and you never see that crap. Using a name does not attract scumbags. Poor fight promoters attract scumbags. Aslo, noone ever said Cage Rage didnt have some good fighters. But where the MMA scene is new. They after get fighters of the skill level the UFC used to get in the early 90's. Thats just the sad fact of it. Cage Rage was a big name promotion. Likely the best in the UFC. Yet they had had a lot of questionable fighters that a normal top promotion shouldnt have. Neil Grove got to fight James Thompson on a few hours notcie because he just happens to be on hand with only 2 fights experience. Then there was the Bouncer who was rumored to fight Tank Abbott at CR. Lee Murry and Mark Epstein who were known gang members. This just from the little i know of Cage Range. Im sure there are more. But its the nature of the sport. MMA went through it early in the US and it will pass in the UK with time as the sport evolves there. Promoters need to be aware.

There are a lot of events run in the US every weekend. Maybe a thousand or close to it. Yet its rare to have any problems. If these events are drawing in scumbags there would be trouble at every events. There isnt. Maybe a few problems per year out of thousands of events.

funny there are thousands of MMA events that use those names in the USA many i have attented and you never see that crap. Using a name does not attract scumbags. Poor fight promoters attract scumbags. Aslo, noone ever said Cage Rage didnt have some good fighters. But where the MMA scene is new. They after get fighters of the skill level the UFC used to get in the early 90's. Thats just the sad fact of it. Cage Rage was a big name promotion. Likely the best in the UFC. Yet they had had a lot of questionable fighters that a normal top promotion shouldnt have. Neil Grove got to fight James Thompson on a few hours notcie because he just happens to be on hand with only 2 fights experience. Then there was the Bouncer who was rumored to fight Tank Abbott at CR. Lee Murry and Mark Epstein who were known gang members. This just from the little i know of Cage Range. Im sure there are more. But its the nature of the sport. MMA went through it early in the US and it will pass in the UK with time as the sport evolves there. Promoters need to be aware.

There are a lot of events run in the US every weekend. Maybe a thousand or close to it. Yet its rare to have any problems. If these events are drawing in scumbags there would be trouble at every events. There isnt. Maybe a few problems per year out of thousands of events.

He was a Karate black belt and knocked Thompson out in the first round, decision vindicated imo.

You also obviously don't realise how old the footage is, well done sir your worldly mma knowledge is overwhelming.

I'll say it again, the promotion closed 2-3 years ago...i just looked up what event that was from and it was in 2005, 5 years ago, half a decade. No UK MMA is not where the American MMA is but that did start in 1993.

Despite how 'bad' it is we still produce enough decent fighters to completely own a season of TUF against the more experienced mma nation.

Like i said in my last post, that 'amateur' promotion had some fighters in it that few American promotions other than the UFC and strikeforce can say they have had.

I agree that UK problems will pass as it gets time like US MMA did. But i wouldnt put much weight in "completely own a season of TUF". That season was set up for the UK to win. The UFC was bulding a season that would sell(ratings) in the UK. Thats why there were no wrestlers on that season. The biggest weakness of UK fighters. It was a show full of Nick and Nate Diaz styles who get eaten by wrestlers. There is a reason why all the other seasons of TUF has Hamill, Koscheck, Bader, Evans, Maynard, Dolloway, etc. and that season didnt have anyone. Ed Herman would look like an all american wrestler compared to anyone on the show that season. The UFC needed to create UK stars to draw people on their UK events to fuel their UK expansion. It was kind of obvious. Everyone knows UK fighters weakness and all of a sudden there isnt any on a US vs UK show? Wrestling is a huge part of American MMA and a high school wrestler would have beat anyone on the show in wrestling.

He was a Karate black belt and knocked Thompson out in the first round, decision vindicated imo.

True but it was the whole process in which it was done. Picking someone out of the croud at the weigh ins. Also there are karate BBs in 7ths grade. That title is meaningless in MMA. Some can fight but most cant.

I'm sorry, I didn't realize that BrainWasher wrote UK MMA, I thought he meant MMA in general.

I agree that UK problems will pass as it gets time like US MMA did. But i wouldnt put much weight in "completely own a season of TUF". That season was set up for the UK to win. The UFC was bulding a season that would sell(ratings) in the UK. Thats why there were no wrestlers on that season. The biggest weakness of UK fighters. It was a show full of Nick and Nate Diaz styles who get eaten by wrestlers. There is a reason why all the other seasons of TUF has Hamill, Koscheck, Bader, Evans, Maynard, Dolloway, etc. and that season didnt have anyone. Ed Herman would look like an all american wrestler compared to anyone on the show that season. The UFC needed to create UK stars to draw people on their UK events to fuel their UK expansion. It was kind of obvious. Everyone knows UK fighters weakness and all of a sudden there isnt any on a US vs UK show? Wrestling is a huge part of American MMA and a high school wrestler would have beat anyone on the show in wrestling.

Oh here we go.

Yeah, not only was it set up for UK to win, they used banned substances, loaded gloves and the American fighters were repeatedly kicked in the thighs before their fights to make it competitive right?

I'm sorry, I didn't realize that BrainWasher wrote UK MMA, I thought he meant MMA in general.

ahh i see, a simple misunderstanding...wow that was surprisingly painless for these forums...are you sure your the real steeve?

• 4 months later...

These are the kind of douchebags that endanger the sport in the United States.

It only gives the super-conservative people more fuel for the fire. Thankfully John McCain didn't catch wind of this yet. I'm sure he'd have a field day with it.

Ok, now I know how to embed, there'll be no stopping me.

But before I go embedding mad, a little MMA technique brush-up, by way of this excellent MMA instructional video. Just one of a great series of tutorials.

PURE WIN

:drool:

Fukk that Atilla guy.

Wut's the story on Yvel dinging on the ref? I've never heard of or seen that footage before. Why was the ref breaking it up everytime it went to the clinch?

It's been an age since I watched the whole fight and read the backstory but IIRC the ref was also the other fighter's manager and was horribly biased the whole time. While it's not justifiable you could sort of see where Yvel was coming from.

* Edit

As for the Cage Rage/UK MMA thing... it's a tough point.

Cage Rage was my favourite promotion... one which I went too a whole bunch of times. They put on some of my favourite fights (Epstein vs Webber, Cyborg vs Manhoef, Silva vs Rivera, Zaromskis vs Pointon), they shone a spotlight on my favourite fighter (Jean "The White Bear" Silva) and they gave a home to many of the top level MMA fighter who were between big orgs (Silva, Manhoef, Lindland, Shaolin) as well as providing a springboard for a lot of fighters to have their shots at the big time (Zelg, Zaromskis, Al-Turk, Kong, Grove, Broughton, Daley, Bigfoot Silva... the list goes on). No-one could accuse the likes of Smiler, Abdul Mohamed, Tengiz or many of the above mentioned fighters of being thugs.

Unfortunately some were.

UK MMA as a whole and Cage Rage in particular hasn't seemed to have truly passed the mid-later 90's "Just Bleed" mentality of the UFC. Promoters often take short-cuts going after the easy "beer and brawls" style of promotion rather than trying to educate the fanbase. Even respectable promotions have had issues: Cage Warriors had one of its first shows highlighted by a riot and the likes of OMMAC are still struggling slightly. There's also the issue of the type of fighters entering MMA. Japan with its long shoot-wrestling tradition had many of them crossover, the US could rely on college wrestlers and imported BJJ players. The UK had none of that... far too any of those who first started training and competing in MMA fell firmly within the "Thug" bracket and brought a similar style of fan with them. Promotion seized upon this, no more so than Cage Rage which revelled in its cockney gangster image. The amount of hype that Jason Barrett and Jeremy Bailey got leading into and during the fallout of their foul fuelled bout attests to that.

Even with Cage Rage gone it's successor Ultimate Challenge (ran by the same people from the same venue featuring many of the same fighters) is blighted by the same problems. A strange combination of top class MMA combined with thuggish attitudes in both fighters and the fans. Look at their recent event for an example of that:

http://www.mmahq.com/blog/2010/09/19/ultim...how-must-go-on/

Yvel KOed the ref one time.

From wikipedia.

Although this ref was the manager, and trainer of the opposing fighter, leaving speculation that Gilbert was being unfairly officiated.