UFC 116 Reaction Thread

I found it extremely enjoyable to see Brock getting his arse handed to him in the first round.

It's just a shame Carwin didn't have better stamina to carry it over into the second round.

But fair play for Brock, he did the job in the second round, although I have a hunch that things will end differently when these two monsters meet for the second time.

Brock did the job. I didnt accept him saying that he let Carwin punch himself out.. frankly i dont think he had any choice in the matter , still he managed to stay alive (in a situation i think most refs would of been calling for a stop to the fight, but fair play for letting it go...) ... and he pulled a sub out in the second, fair play i guess.

I still think Carwin has his number, and its a fight we are going to see again when Brock gets on the path to re-gain his title after he drops it to Cain :P

Attempts to turn Brock face at the end of this fight amused me.

Chris Leben is the star of this show in my eyes. Not so sexy now!

They didnt show JR on screen next to Austin, didnt call Austins name as part of the film that shocked me... and they didnt bring Heyman out with brock... meh.

Loved the card.

Leben is a warrior - taking the fight on two weeks notice, with his lip still slightly tweaked from that fight. Reneogatiating his contract BRILLIANTLY and coming away as the richest fighter on the card second to Lesner ... no onegave him a chance but that big headed weirdo was freaking awesome. I yelled myself horse to that match ... as for Lesner - Carwin ... the 18 guys I watched this with were like 16-2 for Carwin ... when Brock somehow survived the first I think the whole room turned everyone thought Carwin had blown his wad ... I think his corner actually told him "Don't blow your wad out there" ... awesome comeback.

Yeah Lytle's transition to the sub was awesome to watch. He planned that shit out perfectly.

Carwin impressed me just as much as Lesnar in this match. But Lesnar may be more dangerous now that he's actually taken the hardest punch he's ever going to get...and survived. He now knows he can take a punch so he may even have MORE confidence now. Scary.

Yeah Lytle's transition to the sub was awesome to watch. He planned that shit out perfectly.

Carwin impressed me just as much as Lesnar in this match. But Lesnar may be more dangerous now that he's actually taken the hardest punch he's ever going to get...and survived. He now knows he can take a punch so he may even have MORE confidence now. Scary.

Exactly. Lesnar in all of his fights has never looked comfortable on his feet, but now that he has taken a few punches from the hardest hitter in the heavyweight division his confidence should go up which should calm him down when he's standing.

Cain's got a better overall striking game than Carwin and Cain maybe a better wrestler (than Carwin), but size will play a factor in this one. Brock again will just have to survive the standing attack and take it to the ground.

I think Lesnar may have some trouble with a polished striker...he looks confused when he gets punched in the face.

The only thing that could have made this card better was Chris Lytle getting submission of the night. This is one thing I've always hated about the UFC. They aren't good at keeping it a secret that the sub and ko of the night are rigged. There always seems to be stuff like this.

The only thing that could have made this card better was Chris Lytle getting submission of the night. This is one thing I've always hated about the UFC. They aren't good at keeping it a secret that the sub and ko of the night are rigged. There always seems to be stuff like this.

That's crazy BS he didn't get it ,it was a nice submissions.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Grove vs. Reljic fight. I know it wasn't a big fight or anything, but the one judge giving Grove 30-27 was some of the most retarded shit ever.

Also, Leben deserved the submission of the night more than Lesnar did. Nothing (much) against Lesnar, but Leben had a more technical submission and very close to the end of the fight.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Grove vs. Reljic fight. I know it wasn't a big fight or anything, but the one judge giving Grove 30-27 was some of the most retarded shit ever.

Also, Leben deserved the submission of the night more than Lesnar did. Nothing (much) against Lesnar, but Leben had a more technical submission and very close to the end of the fight.

Yeah, I agree that the 30-27 round was ridiculous, although I think the outcome was, if not correct, at least a defensible decision.

I think Lytle deserved the SoTN. Of the 3 subs (on the main card), his was the most technical, and unique. Although, Leben surprised me with the triangle, and who thought Lesnar would win by sub.

Overall, this was one of the best cards I've seen in a while.

Brock did the job. I didnt accept him saying that he let Carwin punch himself out.. frankly i dont think he had any choice in the matter , still he managed to stay alive (in a situation i think most refs would of been calling for a stop to the fight, but fair play for letting it go...) ... and he pulled a sub out in the second, fair play i guess.

I still think Carwin has his number, and its a fight we are going to see again when Brock gets on the path to re-gain his title after he drops it to Cain :P

Attempts to turn Brock face at the end of this fight amused me.

Chris Leben is the star of this show in my eyes. Not so sexy now!

They didnt show JR on screen next to Austin, didnt call Austins name as part of the film that shocked me... and they didnt bring Heyman out with brock... meh.

:thumbup:

Best event in a long time. Werdum second best heavyweight? Who believes that? I think the best heavyweights are definitely in the UFC now. Brock and Carwin were impressive. Cain has the KO power, but unlike Brock he doesn't have the ability to carry his strength for more than one round. Wanderlei falling out didn't turn out that bad either. Good fights overall.

BrainSmasher what's up with your mancrush on dos Santos? Every single thread about heavyweights. We get it, but we still have to see him against one of the top beasts.

I mention him because he is going to be champ. Also i mention just about all the top 10 HWs in my post about HWs.

I dont see why everyone was so impressed with the Brock and Carwin fight. It was a fun fight but they both were exposed in that fight. Yes Brock showed a chin. But that upper cut he got hit with was a lunging upper cut while a little off balance. It didnt have a lot on it. So the first time Brock really gets punched he couldnt take it. Just because you have a good chin dont mean you can take a punch. What i saw was a life long wrestler who isnt used to getting hit and wasnt tough enough to take the pain. Other HWs wont gas and stop hitting him like Carwin.

Carwin has hirrible gas and even worse recovery. He started resting with 2 minutes left in the first round and even after the break between rounds was still wobbly when he took the center of the cage. He is carrying way to much mass for his frame.

Brocks days are numbered judging by what i saw last night and Carwin will finally have to prove himself besides the most fragile HW (Gonzaga and Mir) and i dont think he will pull it off and start to drop fights. Maybe the UFC will give him more good match ups if they want to build him up for the rematch. But i doubt it. Its going to be hard for them to keep winning with the flaws i saw in that fight.

I think it's a lot easier to train cardio than it is to train your fight or flee instinct when you get hit.

Agree 100%. But Carwin was already training cardio. He is just to big and probably just dont have natually good cardo. If he cuts some mass it will get better. I also think his chin is suspect. But we still dont know because Brocks Stand up is like the Tin Man. He is to slow to land anything.

So I watched the event but was incredibly loud where I was so never heard any commentary/interviews etc. but a mate told me Chris was shouting he wanted Wanderlei now, is this true?

Yes and that would be a hell of a fun fight to watch. Not sure who would win. Silva should be winning the points battle as he throws lots of strikes and keeps coming. But Leben has power and a chin. I dont think Silva chin is that great. I think Leben would have to finish him.

Carwin would've won if he didn't gas out.

That fight proved the need for a super HW div.

Brock is definitely overrated but his massive size wins him fights.

Carwin couldn't finish a guy his size in the first round.

Overreem has the size, skills and cardio to beat them both. And Werdum? Beat the the HW in the world.

Well first off great card, from prelims to main event it had a bit of everything, really enjoyed it; one of the best in ages.

Great slam in the prelims, Bonnar fight was great, awesome win for him, Lytle showed skills i didn't realise he had, but the big two fights....well i thought they were great.

I said in another thread just yesterday that i was a Leben fan, that he's always great entertainment, a warrior but maybe not the best technically.....well shit he's showing that he has some technical skills to go with it all now, im amazed at the gradual improvement we have seen in him his last few fights.

The fight was awesome, back and forth...Leben was the American zombie at times but that triangle was slick, moved the left arm out of the way threw the leg up...i was worried he didn't have the ankle into the back of the knee enough, it was on his foot more which is often a problem but he managed to shift it in a touch more and pulled on that head hard.....i was out of my seat at that finish....i thought he was landing so much of his back that he deserved it on the cards but was worried he wouldn't get it, so happy for him to sink that triangle in.

I like Akiyama but for me he is really 0-2 in the UFC, belcher beat him too but the records say different i guess.

As for Carwin V lesnar...great entertainment, Brock was running scared when he was taking those shots, his eyes were looking at the floor and he was covering up with no prospect of throwing back, once he dropped and turtled up like that i think he was very lucky to not get stopped and i honestly think he would not have been up complaining too much if it was at that point because he was hurt and startled.

He was hurt and showing nothing, no interest and took plenty of unanswered shots around the head even if he did cover up tight. Most refs call it there, the only reason he recovered is Carwin's arms turned to lead....if he maintained that and didn't give Lesnar the chance to sort himself out it was 100% over.

Good sub from Lesnar but i think Carwin put all his eggs in the tko basket at the end of the first and left himself short of gas in unknown territory in the second, his half guard was wide open and he looked really passive - he was gassed big time.

Carwin needs to drop some weight and work his cardio up, that was a five round fight an he only had one round in him. Brock looked like a guy who was sparring for the first time to me when taking punches, looking at the floor and covering up like that - you just cant do it. Needs to work on his boxing because Cain has good hands and you can bet he liked what he saw when Carwin caught him.

Carwin is one hard hitting guy though and you gotta hand it to Lesnar he showed a lot of mental toughness and determination.

Overall it was an awesome event, loved every minute of it.

The Leben/Akiyama fight was the best I've seen in a long time. Plus that crazy last minute triangle, fantastic. People on MMA forums knock Dana and the UFC all the time...but this card impressed me greatly. Best in a while.

Carwin would've won if he didn't gas out.

That fight proved the need for a super HW div.

Brock is definitely overrated but his massive size wins him fights.

Carwin couldn't finish a guy his size in the first round.

Overreem has the size, skills and cardio to beat them both. And Werdum? Beat the the HW in the world.

I agree lesnar and carwin proved the ufc HW is overrated .