Frank Mir’s goals for 2011: Retire Big Nog and KO Brock Lesnar

Props: Las Vegas Sun

Quoteworthy:

“We believe Mir is going to be the guy to knock out Brock Lesnar. Me, GSP, Freddie Roach – we all agreed Mir can do it. We see holes in his game we know we can expose. If you’re asking me who would Frank Mir want to fight right now, it’s Brock. He’d love to fight him. Realistically, that’s not going to happen so we want that Nog fight. Nog claims staph infection affected his chin in the last one. I don’t know how that happens, but I think if Mir gets a chance at Nogueira again, he’ll knock him out early and retire him. Right now, he’s at 252 and his best fighting weight is between 240 and 245 pounds. He’s not going to stay at 265 to fight Brock again … In Mir’s mind, it’s about martial arts vs. this big gorilla who really is just a big gorilla.”

Boxing guru Jimmy Gifford is confident that Frank Mir is going to avenge his loss to Brock Lesnar by knocking him out in a rubber match that may or may not come to fruition. Now that Lesnar has unified the heavyweight titles, Cain Velasquez is next in line as is the winner of Roy Nelson vs. Junior dos Santos. That means Mir has some free time on his hands and it sounds as if he wants to spend it retiring “Minotauro” Nogueira, who claims to have lost their first bout because of the health issues stemming from a long bout with Staph infection. Is Mir on a fool’s errand? Or does the former champ still have what it takes to become the best of the best?

If you actually read that, you'll realise its not anything that Mir actually said, it was something Jimmy Gifford said and that the likes of Freddy Roach and GSP agreed on.

They are right about Lesnar's striking, he looked amateurish when taking punches, technically what he did was totally wrong, he covered up and looked at the floor; you try and get schoolboys to stop doing that when they first spar before the ametuers.

The fight exposed a real flaw in his defences imo, im not taking anything away from the rest of his game and the win.....but he's there to be taken by someone who knows how to put together punches and can sustain it.

I wish I had paid attention to that :) Doesn't change my opinion any tho'. Mir does typically talk out of his ass, and I still hope he follows thru with it, no matter who said it :P

I agree, thats probably why i liked a lot of what was said.....cos he didn't say it!

fuck off Mir, you can't just fight Brock every time. He has the belt, and would beat your ass 10/10 times now.

He's really fucked in the head, he really needs to beat Brock, but it will never happen, and we will all get to hear about how next time he will beat him. I wish I could say it to his face, I bet no one tells him how fucked in the head he is. He's becoming clinically insane

If Velasquez can somehow beat Brock and Mir beats Nog then the fight could happen, otherwise this fight is a long way down the line, if Brock keeps winning then Mir will need to go on a rampage to get close to a shot which I can't see him doing. In my eyes Lesnar needs to start losing for the fight to happen, Mir is a decent matchup for anybody but with the HW division getting stronger I don't think he'll get enough back to back wins to be in contention for a shot. Velasquez, Carwin and Dos Santos will likely stay ahead of him for sometime unless he does something special.

It's always a good money fight though for the UFC to put on if Lesnar does start to lose and Mir picks up a couple of wins, just can't see it happening for the title anytime soon.