I hope that joint was worth it...

[rant]

So I offered a job to an old acquaintance of mine who because his girlfriend (and old friend and soldier of mine) asked me to. He has a good engineering degree but no any world experience so me giving him a 75k/year (US) was a massive upgrade from the food service job he is currently working.

He needs a Secret clearance to start the job. No problem, since he used to hold a TS... he just needs to pass a simple records check...

Oops! He decides to tell me after all this that he got busted with a joint in his car a couple of years ago. Ba bum ba bum!

Enjoy wearing that paper hat for $6.50/hour another couple of years because you are not getting your clearance back. At least not fast enough to get the job which means you won't get it at all.

Hope that weed was worth it. Moron.

[/rant]

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would bitch at the system for punishing a man with a joint, not the guy with the joint.

thank god the cops don't give a fuck about pot in Oregon. being denied a job because you had a joint is pretty pathetic also. I worked in a pharmacy and I have 2 felonies for "drugs". All I needed to do was tell them about it in my interview, and they were cool with it. And I was working with millions of dollars of narcotics. He will be happier not working for that company, I bet you 75K on that

I would bitch at the system for punishing a man with a joint, not the guy with the joint.

thank god the cops don't give a fuck about pot in Oregon. being denied a job because you had a joint is pretty pathetic also. I worked in a pharmacy and I have 2 felonies for "drugs". All I needed to do was tell them about it in my interview, and they were cool with it. And I was working with millions of dollars of narcotics. He will be happier not working for that company, I bet you 75K on that

That is where he got the ticket actually. The Federal Government cares though and they are the people who grant clearances.

Fuck the system, this guy knew exactly what the penalties would be for doing something illegal andf did it anyway (*and* was dumb enough to get caught). The blame stays with him.

Don't like the system? There are lots of place where pot is legal so live there or simply accept that you won't be qualified for jobs that require you to not break laws if you are going to do it here. If he hadn't wasted my time applying for a job he knew he wasn't going to be able to qualify for I wouldn't give a shit.

Now I have to scramble around after wasting 3 weeks of hiring time to find someone who obeyed the fucking published and well known law of the land.

Awesome. Score one for pot smokers. Sure makes me sympathetic.

Believe it or not, not everyone needs a high paying job to be happy.

People applying for high paying jobs obviously do. Others who are happy slinging hash and cleaning up drunk vomit are free to do so :)

I worked food service myself after leaving the service it was honest work and it fucking sucked a dick not knowing if the heat was going to stay on because I couldn't get enough hours in a week to pay the bills.

Not worrying about buying my kids clothes, food, shelter and prepping for their future? Worth a fuckload more than smoking some weed. Might be different for you.

Wow, seriously? So because someone decides to work a low paying job, they are suddenly slinging hash, cleaning up vomit and don't care about taking care of their kids? Are you kidding me? There are plenty of respectful low paying jobs where you don't have to do those things. How about this, get a place you can afford with your low paying job... Then you don't have to worry about how you're gonna keep on the heat or feed your kids. You might not even have kids. Learn how to manage money and you can get by just fine on a low salary. I'm not looking to get into a huge debate, I was just mentioning that money is not the key to all happiness.

Let me ask you where the fuck a family of even three is living in these United States at minimum wage that is "within their means"? Are you retarded?

Let me do the math for you:

Lets assume you can actually get 40 hours of work at your low-level workplace (many places have perverse incentives to keep you below 32 thanks to widespread government intervention):

Full time employment working 40 hours a week all 52 weeks of the year at the current minimum wage (when I was doing this is was *much* lower) = 2080 hours pet year @ 7.25/hour in this state. That is a whopping total of $15,080 USD per year *before* taxes and Social Security. You get most of the taxes back at the end of the year but the 6.5% of Social security etc you don't. LEts assume that you are a tax genius and manage to *only* pay that 6.5% shall we?

That leaves you with ~$14170 to hourse, feed, and clothe your entire family. If you are very lucky your spouse can get a job of the same "quality" on and offset shift so you don't have to pay for daycare. That would boost you all the way up to $28k/ year with both parents working full time and seeing each other for a maximum of 8 hours a day (which is presumably spent sleeping).

Here in our little podunk town the shittiest apartment you can rent with 1 bedroom rolls for a tidy $450 a month (utilities not included). The place is so wonderful that soldiers in town are banned from living within 4 blocks of the joint.

$450 a month * 12 = 5400 out of your 28k just for rent. There is no mass transit here so a vehicle is an utter neccessity. Lets assume you have the cheapest thing that will roll with only liability insurance and that despite the above scenario you have a totally clean record. You *might* be able to get by with a car that costs $3600 which you will make payments on plus insurance that comes out to at least $300/month without taking gasoline or the continuous maintenance required on a $3600 beater into the equation.

We are now up to $750 a month for 2 expenses!

Assuming you follow the strictest of rationed diets and can feed each person in your family for $1/day that is still ~$100/month for your family. Now we are up to $850/month to live in a crime ridden slum and eat like someone who is on a UN aid program. Awesome!

If it was just one person working minimum wage we have already ripped through all but 4k of what your tax genius has left you by the way. No clothes, no utilities, no incidental expenses. Two can manage it as long as they agree that they don't need to ever see each other or ever provide anything above subsistance for your kids or yourself. Happy! Happy!

The reality is that it costs far more than what I have just laid out above, you lose a great deal more in taxes than 6.5%, and a single income at this wage simply won't keep a family's head above water no matter how many times you yell "manage your expenses!" at someone.

This type of job suffices for young people who are single or don't have kids or who are lucky enough to have a spouse who is working for more than minimum wage. It is supposed to be the starting point in your career life, not the end state.

That post by Kyle Brookins was actually me. It's my nephews buddy and he forgot to log out before I got back on. I was going to repost under my name but since you have it quoted I see no reason to repost. But onto what I was saying, I'm not talking about this case in particular (which maybe I should have cleared up), but in general. Where I liven now I pay less than $500 a month including everything, yes it's not the biggest place but it's in a good neighborhood and suits me just fine. It's me, my husband & my nephew who all live together in a 2 bedroom home. My husband is disabled and gets disability, I work part time on a crappy salary & my nephew doesn't work at all (that's changing real soon!, lol) and we get by just fine and yes I am a happy person. There is ways to do it, and there a few tricks to learn here and there, but it can be done. I don't want to get into a big debate over it or anything, I was just stating a point, or trying to.

Wow what a shitstorm this has turned into...

My take on a few things...

The guy was an asshole if he did in deed know he wouldn't be able to get the job and still applied, therefore wasting your time when it sounds like you were doing him a big favour that you were under no obligation to do.

Not all people need a lot of money in life in order to enjoy it.

Smoking Weed is a particulary fond pastime of mine.

You can still earn plenty of money and smoke weed, you just don't let it have an impact on your work life.

I get by just fine, Joe Rogan springs to mind as someone who does alright for himself while smoking a fuck load of weed.

Breaking the law doesn't nessicarily make you dumb, some laws are silly, but fair enough they are there and if we are caught we should face the consequences.

I bet most of us have broken the law at some point, I don't think I even know anyone with a computer who hasn't downloaded an mp3 illegally or before that recorded a song off the radio.

Agreed.

Smoke ganja everyday

And continue working at the fast food joint (for the guy in question) everyday:)

are you serious? for fucking real, there isn't a job I would want that piss tests or cares about you having a joint years ago. I can make a lot more than 75K a year working for the federal government. The private sector has ALL the money silly. I will be able to make 50K a year on my off hours in 3 years, along with 100K at work, so keep your government job

I know a guy that makes $500 an hour in his time when he isn't at work. He's a complete stoner

are you serious? for fucking real, there isn't a job I would want that piss tests or cares about you having a joint years ago. I can make a lot more than 75K a year working for the federal government. The private sector has ALL the money silly. I will be able to make 50K a year on my off hours in 3 years, along with 100K at work, so keep your government job

I know a guy that makes $500 an hour in his time when he isn't at work. He's a complete stoner

Dam man, $500 a hour.... <_<

I think the reason you're getting such disagreement Greywar is that it seems you're trying to make a connection between smoking weed and being unsuccessful or stupid.

Perhaps it was dumb of your friend to not tell you sooner but it hardly seems fair to prevent someone with a degree from working in his field because he smoked a joint once.

The United States drug laws are IMO the leading reason their economy is in the toilet right now. People like to throw around the cost of the war in Iraq, healthcare and the like but nobody seems to notice that the prison system costs more than each of them. More than half the people in prison in the US are in there for simple possession.

No matter what your stance on the drug laws this documentary is a good education on all things to do with MJ. Video

I think the reason you're getting such disagreement Greywar is that it seems you're trying to make a connection between smoking weed and being unsuccessful or stupid.

Perhaps it was dumb of your friend to not tell you sooner but it hardly seems fair to prevent someone with a degree from working in his field because he smoked a joint once.

The United States drug laws are IMO the leading reason their economy is in the toilet right now. People like to throw around the cost of the war in Iraq, healthcare and the like but nobody seems to notice that the prison system costs more than each of them. More than half the people in prison in the US are in there for simple possession.

No matter what your stance on the drug laws this documentary is a good education on all things to do with MJ. Video

great post, thanks.

And continue working at the fast food joint (for the guy in question) everyday:)

I'm sorry, but i think you are an idiot.

I have smoked pot every day for over 23 years, and when i started i had no career.

Now i have been working with computers for the last 18 years (knew nothing about them before i started smoking), and have been a server engineer for the last 12.

So don't give me any shit about being "dumb" by smoking, as it is people like yourself, with brainwashed stereotyping that are the dumb ones.

If you knew anything about the latest research into cannabinoids, and their protective qualities, you wouldn't say this shit if you had more than a half a brain.

Read, read some more, try to understand, and then communicate on the subject.

Communicating this way on a subject you obviously know fuck all about, only makes a fool of yourself.

Personally i would 100% choose to smoke/vaporize/eat my medicine, than have a 75-100k job that needs a security clearance.

Bottom line, the crime of smoking pot has no victims, and only idiots think a victimless crime, actually should be a crime.

Most nations have signed an international bill of human rights, where amongst other things is is stated that it is a patients human right to use the medicine of their own choice.

That is the reason the Canadian high court made the Canadian government change its drug laws, legalizing pot, as the law both breached the international human rights agreement, and breached at the same time the Canadian constitution.

The same applies to the USA and every other nation that has signed that human rights bill, but those countries choose to ignore the facts and throw more innocent people in jail for this victimless crime, that breaks you own human rights, if you are ill at least.

So for you to sit in front of your computer condemning others for something you don't understand in any way and trying to humiliate them, has put you on the lowest ladder of my respect list.

I can easily go into detail that backs up every statement i have made in this post, but that is a VERY lengthy discussion that warrants its own thread, but is much more suited to a different forum than this one, for obvious reasons.

Just a question, was it the rules that stopped him from getting the job, as in having a criminal record automatically disqualifies him? Or was it you who dislike pot and decided to not hire him?

I love having extended Loony Tunes scenes play out in the shadows of the pine tree in the back yard as much as the next guy, but doing it while driving is pretty goddamned stupid.

I'm sorry, but i think you are an idiot.

I have smoked pot every day for over 23 years, and when i started i had no career.

Now i have been working with computers for the last 18 years (knew nothing about them before i started smoking), and have been a server engineer for the last 12.

So don't give me any shit about being "dumb" by smoking, as it is people like yourself, with brainwashed stereotyping that are the dumb ones.

If you knew anything about the latest research into cannabinoids, and their protective qualities, you wouldn't say this shit if you had more than a half a brain.

Read, read some more, try to understand, and then communicate on the subject.

Communicating this way on a subject you obviously know fuck all about, only makes a fool of yourself.

Personally i would 100% choose to smoke/vaporize/eat my medicine, than have a 75-100k job that needs a security clearance.

Bottom line, the crime of smoking pot has no victims, and only idiots think a victimless crime, actually should be a crime.

Most nations have signed an international bill of human rights, where amongst other things is is stated that it is a patients human right to use the medicine of their own choice.

That is the reason the Canadian high court made the Canadian government change its drug laws, legalizing pot, as the law both breached the international human rights agreement, and breached at the same time the Canadian constitution.

The same applies to the USA and every other nation that has signed that human rights bill, but those countries choose to ignore the facts and throw more innocent people in jail for this victimless crime, that breaks you own human rights, if you are ill at least.

So for you to sit in front of your computer condemning others for something you don't understand in any way and trying to humiliate them, has put you on the lowest ladder of my respect list.

I can easily go into detail that backs up every statement i have made in this post, but that is a VERY lengthy discussion that warrants its own thread, but is much more suited to a different forum than this one, for obvious reasons.

Great post. I was going to say many of those things but didn't want to get into a lengthy discussion over it. Although 1 quick correction, the Canadian courts never completely legalized marijuana, no country in the world has as far as I know (although it is overlooked in many countries). Canada is kind of one of those countries. They still have laws against it, but the same time they have laws for it, it's kind of a mess and it's like this anywhere you go.

I love having extended Loony Tunes scenes play out in the shadows of the pine tree in the back yard as much as the next guy, but doing it while driving is pretty goddamned stupid.

Marijuana does not make you hallucinate. If you're seeing things when you're high, then it's either your imagination (usually with kids) or your smoke was laced with something.

Maybe I should quit opening this thread (or the entire forum)... I know I'm gonna want to keep replying but I got work to do today so I better stfu! Lol

[rant]

So I offered a job to an old acquaintance of mine who because his girlfriend (and old friend and soldier of mine) asked me to. He has a good engineering degree but no any world experience so me giving him a 75k/year (US) was a massive upgrade from the food service job he is currently working.

He needs a Secret clearance to start the job. No problem, since he used to hold a TS... he just needs to pass a simple records check...

Oops! He decides to tell me after all this that he got busted with a joint in his car a couple of years ago. Ba bum ba bum!

Enjoy wearing that paper hat for $6.50/hour another couple of years because you are not getting your clearance back. At least not fast enough to get the job which means you won't get it at all.

Hope that weed was worth it. Moron.

[/rant]

You're a piece of shit.

Great post. I was going to say many of those things but didn't want to get into a lengthy discussion over it. Although 1 quick correction, the Canadian courts never completely legalized marijuana, no country in the world has as far as I know (although it is overlooked in many countries). Canada is kind of one of those countries. They still have laws against it, but the same time they have laws for it, it's kind of a mess and it's like this anywhere you go.

True, but the Judge overturned the drug laws, based on those facts, leaving the politicians in a bad dilemma, having signed a UN draft forbidding any country to legalize marijuana, while still having to abide by their own constitution and the Judges Human rights ruling and change the law so it was not illegal for patients to use and obtain marijuana..

No other High court judge has ever had the balls to do what this judge did, my utmost respect goes to him.