How do you determine fight of the night?

Qrash

I always have a really tough time giving out fight of the night awards. I find it hard to give it to a decision, because nobody was finished. I also find it hard to give it to a one-sided KO or sub, because I don't feel the loser of the fight should have a fight of the night attached to their name.

Its also damn hard to give a Ko of the night without a fight to watch. Just curious how org owners hand out the awards?

I usually give it to fights that went the distance and earned a 90%-100% rating. Usually those are all out brawls.

That. KO of the Night I look for something special. Like a guy that was being beaten on the ground and then got up to KO the guy etc. Otherwise I'll give it to the fastest KO. It is purely subjective so there is no real right answer. If you have seven KOs it is hard to pick one out as KO of the Night. Often I try to give it to the younger fighters who are making less money also. It helps them more than the star who is making big bucks already.

I couldn't disagree more Bo, to me the KO of the night and Sub of the night are for finishes.

I don't think decisions get enough love in this game or in MMA in general. Of the greatest fights of all time at least 90% of them went to the scorecards.

FOTN to me should always be a decision or in rare cases a last second finish.

fight of the night: first rating , he need to be at least 100% or u take the better , then u look if there was a fight with a come back , then a fight with high agression then the fight with the better fighter .

Is better when the fight is balanced , but if a fighter is knockdown or rocked several times in a fight it can deserve FOTN .

Sub/KO:u look the last sentence of the fights

"XXX lands a brutal head kick. YYYY looks out on his feet and XXXX throws more strikes until the ref is forced to stop the fight! "

"XXX lands a big head kick that sends YYY to the canvas! XXX follows up with strikes from the mount that forces the ref to step in and stop the fight! "

The first seems better because they speaker say it is brutal .

Sometimes it is more easy when the speaker tells "this is my new favorites fighter" or "maybe it will be KO/Sub of the night" .

FOTN is the hardest award to give out but I have my own way of deciding who should get it

I usually do look to decision fights first simply because they were a full fight. I then look to the scorecards and have preference for close fights such as split decisions or 29:28 etc... After that I look to the fight rating to make sure its high enough to deserve FOTN. If all else fails I look to fights that ended past the first round, especially fights that ended in the 3rd. If the decision is still tough I look to the significance of the fight. As in was the fight a championship fight, a contender fight or just a normal fight etc...

When I ran an org, I didn't want the decision to be subjective.

For FOTN I took the longest fight with a 100% rating

And for KO/Sub of the night I took the quickest fights.

Sometimes a judgement call had to be made for FOTN but using a set criteria certainly made it easier to hand out the awards. And everyone knew what to expect.

I always looked for 100% rating and then went to the amount of strikes that were landed by both fighters. The fight that was 100% with the most action would get the award

That sounds like the fairest method to me. I'll remember that if I ever start an org.

High & have started drinkin already, pretty early for me, but I'll try to explain my perspective for selecting these awards when I ran an org.

I always have a really tough time giving out fight of the night awards. I find it hard to give it to a decision, because nobody was finished. I also find it hard to give it to a one-sided KO or sub, because I don't feel the loser of the fight should have a fight of the night attached to their name.

Its also damn hard to give a Ko of the night without a fight to watch. Just curious how org owners hand out the awards?

When I ran an org I only offered $420 rewards, so it's not like you got much but the accolade on the profile from me, but...

Fight of the Night: Half the time I look at it as decision of the night (100% rating helps) or the best back & forth war regardless of the outcome/rating. OR if I have two fights that could of been KO of the Night, like in this event, the more competetive fight will get FoTN but usually the better KO will get KO of the Night.

KO of the Night: Always look for pure KO's first not tko's (mainly cuz the fight PBP), and I read the finishing text so unless the TKO was drastically better then the KO in the text (or it came down to good tko in main event, good ko at the bottom of the undercard) I'll usually go with the pure KO. Really comes down to the text for me. Doesn't matter the rating. Examples all from the same card...

Penderas uses good footwork to get in and out and land a nice right hand before Strife has time to react.

Strife is rocked!

Penderas lands a big uppercut and this one is all over! His foe lies motionless on the canvas - a massive one punch knockout!

Ladies and gentlemen, after 0:35 of round 1, we have a winner by way of KO (Punch). Guillermo Penderas! 100% fight rating

Fight # 2

Yu lands with a big right hook that stumbles Smith - he's out on his feet here! Yu follows up with another monster hook that separates Smith from consciousness! Smith falls, almost in slow motion to the canvas! Yu stands and admires his work as the crowd go wild.

Ladies and gentlemen, after 1:27 of round 1, we have a winner by way of KO (Punches). Lu Yu! 100% fight rating

Both fights were good enough to be KO of the Night, so I made the more competetive fight FoTN and the other one KO of the Night.

Fight #3

Ma Kali connects with a lovely right hand, straight down the pipe.

Petzel is rocked!

Ma Kali drops a shoulder and throws an uppercut that cracks Petzel right on the button. Petzel goes down! Ma Kali follows him to the mat and finishes the job with more strikes! Ma Kali gets the win via TKO!

Ladies and gentlemen, after 3:24 of round 3, we have a winner by way of TKO (Strikes). Kruk Ma Kali! 64% rating

Fight #4

Kane postures up and throws a couple of big shots that have Silva in real trouble here! The ref calls for Silva to improve his position which he doesn't do, so the referee has no choice but to end the fight due to the strikes!

Ladies and gentlemen, after 0:46 of round 1, we have a winner by way of TKO (Strikes). Merrick Kane! 100% fight rating

Now why not Fight #3 over the first 2? I think it's pretty obvious. It was a TKO, the text, and the rating. All factor in. Why not fight #4 over the first 2? It had a 100% fight rating? Well, the text, the fact it's a TKO, plus is happened from the ground. Not as cool when it's a ground knockout, unless it's a badass slam with some punches to an unconceious head or something.

As for Sub of the Night, that all comes down to the text and fight rating. Also if it was a comeback submission, IE fighter A is getting his ass beat by fighter B then suddenly - submission. Usually steals this award. Sometimes there's only 1 sub on a card so it makes this award easy to give.

I usually go for what was the most exciting somewhat close fight. Good ratings help but a one-sided beat down often gets 100% and I don't really consider those fight of the night material.

U're just a meano! ;) :P

Only messing.

I always went by:

For KO of the night, I pretty much went for, if someone put someone out cold from standing, they'd get it, also fight rating and time of KO sometimes came into it. No KO of the night for a referee stepping in to stop the fight.

Sub of the night would be when sometimes it would come up in the fight text, that it cold be a submission of the night contender, or just rating it yourself to see if the text also said great submission or great BJJ there.

Fight of the night would mostly go to 100% or as close to rated fight, mostly decisions for full fight wars, usually with 1 guy winning by 1 rnd in a 3 or 5 rnd fight!

Fight of the Night: To the best rated fight that went on at least a couple of rounds, in close cases I go for the more even fight.

KO and sub: The best sounding one. One punch KO, a head kick, come from behind sub, something like that. It might be just flavor text but since it's there, I use it and not necessarily give it to the quickest one.

i was honored 2 times since i joined this game.

http://www.mmatycoon.com/fightcommentary.php?FTID=233799

was a nasty display of "high" kicks, scored 4 knockdowns in 78 sec, overwhelmed the poor Enemy

Nice but not really amazing, but i am happy about the extra bucks in my pocket :)

And then yesterday:

http://www.mmatycoon.com/fightcommentary.php?FTID=257942

hell of a fight, back and forth, both swinging for no love, a stand up brawl a its best, it must looked like Don Frye vs Yoshihiro Takayama

and then after this war i managed to steal the split decision.

both fights are 100% ratings, but this second one is the really great fight, even if it'S "just a split discision