UFC's Joe Rogan and his idea of life on earth

i was bouncing around on netflix the other day and ran across joe rogans standup. naturally i thought "hell yea, that's joe rogan!" so click, click and i was watching.......the first 5 minutes of it starts out with him giving his perception of life on earth. i think it's really interesting personally.

My link

his basic argument is, "what if the world is a living thing just like we are a living thing?" what if the world is a flea on a dog and we are on the flea? you know what i mean? what about the world the dog lives in? or the world beyond that? where does it stop? is that so insane to think? like he says, if you look at humans, we are a host for all sorts of smaller organism. so who is to say that the earth isnt a host for us? the earth is a living organism isnt it? it grows grass. it grows trees. it breathes oxygen. who is to say that the earth and the world isnt apart of something so much bigger?....im not saying that this is right or wrong. but when i stumbled across this it really intrigued me how well he put it into words and got me to thinking. im interested in what other ppl think about this or any other thoughts on the world and what is or isnt, and why...

• Upvote 1

you should listen to his podcast...he has some really interesting ideas. a lot of people seem to think he is a meathead but he is actually a pretty intelligent dude.

there is a theory that humans are like a virus on this planet...think about it for a little bit and it kinda makes sense

there is a theory that humans are like a virus on this planet...think about it for a little bit and it kinda makes sense

yea that's pretty much what he is saying in this and i agree with ya. if you actually do take the time to set back think about it, it does kinda make sense. not saying it's right. but it is kinda neat to wonder

• Upvote 1

you should listen to his podcast...he has some really interesting ideas. a lot of people seem to think he is a meathead but he is actually a pretty intelligent dude.

If you think about it, humans are a lot like parasites.

You stay until the resources dry up, and then move on.

• Upvote 1

hes a massive stoner but

why pick that out AND a "but"? sounds a bit degrading & unfortunate imo ^^

if you see, hear, feel and breath and all that and even be able to think about it logically and creatively and interpretative stuff etc. you should be crazy .. you just might get called out on it by a crazy person, who likes to believe hes normal or the right type of crazy ... which is crazy of course ^^

better yet "crazy" should be "the new normal" .. thats the least it would take to get rid of all that fed to the rims bullshit and categorizing of shit and unfairness and utter greed and all that garbage that lies over society like the worst disease.

if youre somewhat healthy etc. and you cant talk about nonsense and higher and deep shit for days with your buddies, youre doing it wrong .. if you got no hunger for info & to learn about everything ... you may have won some little games, but you allready lost the big one, cause you aint playin, son ^^

lets speed evolution up, the human race has huge potential to have fun, without looking worse than cancer ;P

i dont like posting on boards much nowadays ... i post when i got some knowledge i can quickly help out with or when i got something at least semi positive to say. but discussing pity stuff or even getting lit up about something miniscule is a waste of time to me ... i dont have enough time to learn about all the interesting and fascinating stuff that is out there as it is and when i write something i feel like i have to close with a disclaimer lilke:

i got a limited lens and just shoot shit like the next guy, but please realize that if i was completely enlightened i most likely wouldnt say anything ... there can be something learned from silent people, a lot actually, but then you have it and you need something else, more stuff, so you need people to talk shit, so might as well say something, right? no? i should shut up? Grrr ^^

• Upvote 2

Imagine if teachers could still beat the shit out of kids.

I dunno...people have become way too sensitive. Good thing we have MMA to keep us manly!;)

Imagine if teachers could still beat the shit out of kids.

I dunno...people have become way too sensitive. Good thing we have MMA to keep us manly!;)

it's kinda like if someone has a beat up old car that barely runs and it gets dinged up by another beat up old car. the two guys will laugh it off and go on along like nothing happened. but take that same old beat up old car and let it get dinged up by some rich guy in a ferrari. all of the sudden it's a bigger deal.......it's all about perception.

it's the sameway in the video. if the school teacher in the video would have been black and said "nigga", the school boy would have just laughed and went on his merry way most likely. but since the school teacher was white and said "nigga" then it was a much bigger issue. even though the word would have been in the same context.......it's all about perception.

the sad part is that they are trying to take the mans job. he's already said that he was sorry and didnt mean for it to be taken in a harmful way. and i doubt very seriously that the student was actually that tore up about it anyways. the kid probly uses the word himself 30 times a day himself with his friends.......but it's all about perception

• Upvote 2

"White" people need a word that only they can call each other.

That way everything would be even! Simple. Well, not so simple...but intriguing.

yeah, but it has to be derogatory if used by any other "race" except "whites"

cracker/honky doesnt have the same weight as other racial slurs

"White" people need a word that only they can call each other.

That way everything would be even! Simple. Well, not so simple...but intriguing.

Yes, that's totally how "nigger" originated.

Also, the Gaia hypothesis is silly.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Yes, that's totally how "nigger" originated.

Also, the Gaia hypothesis is silly.

i like how you put it in quotes. i think youre referring to the -a variant of the word in question though...unless African-Americans used to refer to themselves by the -er version in the past

i like how you put it in quotes. i think youre referring to the -a variant of the word in question though...unless African-Americans used to refer to themselves by the -er version in the past

The -a ending is due to pronounciation, sunshine.

Joe Rogan has a lot of ideas and knows quite a lot of information but doesn't really know how to put those ideas into a proper order in his head. In the first bit of that video he makes up a perfectly fine allegory but confuses it with reality by completely ignoring the nuances that inform proper thought.

The earth moves and develops like a living organism. That doesn't mean it's a conscious living organism.

People spread like a virus. That doesn't mean we're a virus.

If intelligent life from another planet saw earth, they'd see intelligent life on earth (us).

Working through this humans=viruses thing.

Viruses spread and multiply.

Humans spread and multiply.

So viruses=humans apparently?

Grass spreads and multiplies. Flowers do. Fish do. Algae does. Spreading and multiplying is the definition of life.

So are we viruses because we consume our environment? Again, that's what everything does. Everything expands naturally to the point where it cannot be sustained any further, then natural checks kick in and X starts to die out. Humans currently consume more than the earth can handle. Apparently by September we've consumed the year's natural sustainable resources. Is this a justification for us being virus-like? Not even slightly. It's justification for us being exactly the same as any other living thing. The only difference is timescale. Our adaptability means we find ways, temporarily, around the the problem of exhausting resources. Fish in a seasonal African rivers multiply, spread, use the resources, then it dries up and they die. THAT in fact is far more like the behaviour of a virus. Yes viruses are adaptable and spread but an individual virus particle cannot get up and move, adapt and continue to survive - they stay where they are and if the environment cannot sustain them, they die like a dried fish.

The way a virus survives is through random genetic mutations which make them adaptable to new environments, effectively the same process as Darwinian evolution. So if you want to compare a virus to anything, it should be comparing viruses to all multi celular life as a whole. Treat all multi celular life as a single entity. If you do that, it's comparable because as I said before, all life spreads until it is no longer sustainable.

However, to single out humans as comparable to viruses is flat out wrong and does us a complete disservice. Viruses do not have conscious thought; they spread without any understanding of their actions, irrespective of whether what they do now will mean their future extinction. Nearly every living thing does the same, plant or animal, EXCEPT humans.

Humans=virus is an easy comparision to make because we are the successful species on the planet but it's totally wrong when you examine it on nearly every level other than basic aesthetics. An OK metaphor and a good moral tale to make people conscious of their environment but that's it.

In general, Joe's a conspiracy kind of guy and it appears to me he gets excited by thinking about things in a different way to everyone else. The thing is, actual reality is far more incredible that the reality he makes up in his head. Quantum mechanics, what gravity actually is, how planets and stars and elements are actually formed. All that stuff is way more mind blowing than hokey "dude, look how we grow on the planet, we're a virus and the earth is the real living thing...." No it's not. The earth is a ball of space dust that clumped together 4 billion years ago. That's incredible in itself but we're far more incredible. The fact he can come up with hokey nonsense ideas in a brain that just created itself over millions of years is far more incredible.

He'll talk about how a paracite will reprogram a fish's brain and how that has some sort of meaning but says he doesn't see the point in the Large Hadron Collider. Both are equally mind blowing and science fictiony but one's kind of geeky and the other's like a zombie movie, so he gravitates towards the zombie movie and attributes meaning to that.

Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is that he always talks a lot of nonsense, which is fine. It's kind of entertaining but Joe's theories are only interesting to me as a kind of psychological study on why some people gravitate towards things which are overtly crazy, when in reality, reality is much more intesting and crazy when you scratch under the surface. I think at the end of the day, he's just viscerally uncomfortable with being conformist.

Humans=virus is an easy comparision to make because we are the successful species on the planet but it's totally wrong when you examine it on nearly every level other than basic aesthetics. An OK metaphor and a good moral tale to make people conscious of their environment but that's it.

My comparison would be Human = Parasite, rather than Human = Virus.

A parasite forms a symbiotic relationship with its host. Sometimes its beneficial, and sometimes its not. For my argument, I'd say we are the parasites, and the Earth would be our host. Humanity is 100% reliant on the Earth. Without it, we cannot survive. We move from place to place, as a parasite does, and use resources until they are gone. When they're gone, we move on to another source of resources.

The most successful parasites are the ones that form a mutually beneficial relationship, as they take only what they need, and the resources never run out. Humans on the other hand, seem more like the bad parasites to me. :sad01_anim: