Large classes in new sparring

So, the wiki is confusing on the matter of large classes in new sparring. Say, there's 30 guys in a sparring class and the wiki article on training changes says it will be split up in two groups of five and the rest. What groups of five? Top 5 fighters & next top 5 fighters & the rest or top 5 fighters & bottom 5 fighters & the rest or what? Also, why doesn't it chop up those enormous classes into more fives?

No, it was giving an example of a class size between 15 and 19. it will break down into as many 5 fighter groups as possible without leaving the bottom group with less than 5. So in the case of 30 there would be 6 five man groups. With 34 there would be 5 five man groups and a 9 man group.

There would never be 3 in the bottom group, I dunno where you read that :)

The minimum in the bottom group is always 5. If you have e.g. 13 people you would have top group of 5 people and a bottom group of 8 people. You don't get 3 groups until a total of 15 in a session.

Having a bad day reading things it seems. :(

Well, that sucks for the 11th best guy in the session :(

If I understand correctly then in that scenario it will be 2 groups of 5 and 6?

If I understand correctly then in that scenario it will be 2 groups of 5 and 6?

In the original post I was talking about sparring sessions with 30 guys in it. So, it would really suck to be 11th best when those ten better guys are sparring with really good guys and your sparring gets diluted by all those useless guys on the lowest end of the class.

From what i understand it's like this,

Up to 9 fighters sparring = 1 group of 1-9 fighters.

10 to 14 fighters Sparring = 2 groups 1 of the top 5 sparrers and a 2nd group of the remaining 5-9 fighters.

15 and upwards fighters sparring = 3 groups 1 of the top 5 sparrers and a 2nd group of the next 5 best sparrers and a 3rd group of the remaining fighters which can range from 5 fighters to an infinite amount fighters.

• Upvote 1

In the original post I was talking about sparring sessions with 30 guys in it. So, it would really suck to be 11th best when those ten better guys are sparring with really good guys and your sparring gets diluted by all those useless guys on the lowest end of the class.

Right I see, thought you were talking about a group of 11 only.

What happens if you have 7 fighters ?

From what i understand it's like this,

Up to 9 fighters sparring = 1 group of 1-9 fighters.

10 to 14 fighters Sparring = 2 groups 1 of the top 5 sparrers and a 2nd group of the remaining 5-9 fighters.

15 and upwards fighters sparring = 3 groups 1 of the top 5 sparrers and a 2nd group of the next 5 best sparrers and a 3rd group of the remaining fighters which can range from 5 fighters to an infinite amount fighters.