Keeping / losing your BJJ belts

MMATycoon

Should you lose the belt if you drop down in BJJ?  

157 members have voted

1. 1. Should you lose the belt if you drop down in BJJ?

• Yes, lose the belt
    • Lose the belt but only if you drop quite a long way below
    • No, keep the belt no matter what
    • Don't care

This isnt real life, so please dont anyone come at me with that logic.

lmao that is so ironic of you to say that --- one of the guys who couldnt stand training cause it just wasnt real -- now you come with the opposite -- lmao -- unreal

should keep to me -- no one loses their belts in real life (arent we siming real life now)

• Upvote 2

how would be a massive headache -- you scout by reading fights how would a belt make a difference

Let's say a dude shows a brown belt but has degenerated into a blue belt, and his last 10 fights have been quick knockouts..

Then knock him out. :D

So BJJ is the only skill we shouldnt be "accurately" be able to predict one's strenght in? While I know primaries only tell part of the tale the difference between a blue belt and a brown when it comes to deciding if we will be taking someone down is huge.

Then knock him out. :D

I saw earlier someone say drop the secondaries instead of primary. I guess that might work. But, I am not too concerned.

this is somewhat how i look at it --- primaries to me are knowledge -- secondaries are tech / ability

you really never lose knowledge but do lose ability and tech

• Upvote 1

So BJJ is the only skill we shouldnt be "accurately" be able to predict one's strenght in? While I know primaries only tell part of the tale the difference between a blue belt and a brown when it comes to deciding if we will be taking someone down is huge.

I posted that because you said they were knocked out 10 of their last 10 fights. So, in that particular instance it seems like a no brainer. Personally, I voted the belt should drop as skills do.

Here is what I would prefer.

1) Base your belt on more than just the primary. Much like the star rating system it could factor many things when deciding what belt you have such as secondaries, physicals, and maybe a little bump for submission victories.

2) Show the actual primary on the useless to elite scale, then under it show highest belt earned which never drops.

3) Make the TotT announcers say something when a guy's skills have dropped since recent fights. Fighter A has not been training his BJJ since his last fight. He has been working on his wrestling to defend against Fighter B.

4) When any primary ticker gets too high it drops secondaries instead of primaries.

• Upvote 1

an alternative to warbringer's idea (which i do like) could be showing the highest belt honor in another area of the profile kinda like we have our current rank but it also displays our highest rank as well.

I like this idea. Satisfies both camps really.

lmao that is so ironic of you to say that --- one of the guys who couldnt stand training cause it just wasnt real -- now you come with the opposite -- lmao -- unreal

should keep to me -- no one loses their belts in real life (arent we siming real life now)

Actually i was never part of the "realistic training AJ Perok fan buddy's" movement and i encourage you to try and find posts that suggest otherwise, infact the thread that people whined in for the changes i barely posted in, if at all (-: But since i hurt your feelings with the truth the other night you can continue to run around the forums putting my name in whatever makes you feel better, its cool man, i understand your an emotional type of guy.

Edit: And for anyone who wants to pull that card again, i trained for a year without fighting in order to catch up to the guys who had a headstart on me and were fighting, i wanted to be able to fight top end guys and im now able to do so as a result, but i basically just ran orgs and didn't fight for over a year.... and as soon as i started to get some steam behind me with fighting these changes came into effect and started to knock my guys down... all who are well rounded MMA fighters with high level skills, did i run to the forum and cry about it? No, did i run to the chat room and cry about it? No, did i claim i was going to quit if i didn't get things my own way? No.... i said ... Those who cannot adapt become victims of Evolution, im sorry that hurts some peoples feelings but i have no sympathy for the cry babys around here because realistically, its me who should be crying hardest and im not... so suck it up.

Let's say a dude shows a brown belt but has degenerated into a blue belt, and his last 10 fights have been quick knockouts..

Well, that should tell you he has been training stand up and neglecting his ground game...

Well, that should tell you he has been training stand up and neglecting his ground game...

How? Just by the knockouts? Thats not how it works.

One or two sparring sessions a week should maintain said brown belt just fine, though...

Does anyone else think this has become way too complicated, decreasing stats, at like 21 years old, it doesn't happen in real life maybe at 30-35 and you've had 20 hard fights, had a few KO's, injuries not when your still basically a kid.

I didn't see anything wrong with the way things were, people would have caught up eventually when the top dogs retired, Mike should have just sped the learning speed up for 18-21 years old to catch up.

Shame really, cos the simplicity of this is what appealed to me and I may be alone but I think that this was just so simple and now its way too complicated and trying to be like real life is wrong.

Mike should have gone with the ufc game model.

When you reach a certain stat it decreases like on ufc 30/50/70 and it won't decrease past that figure, we could have done that here Feeble/Superb/Wonderful

Just a thought.

I'm a simple guy really, who likes simple things. I just feel sorry these changes have made it way too much for me to think about even at my level.

• Downvote 3

I voted for "Lose the belt but only if you drop quite a long way below" though I really don't see too much to worry about. Newbies are fighting at a level that their opponent shouldn't have a skill drop because their overall stats are not there for too much decreasing to kick in and if you are a veteran, then you should know how to freaking scout. Also, if you are coming into a fight with a blue belt, you should be careful on the ground whether your opponent is a black belt or a (dropped-down-to) brown belt if he has a tons of submission win.

A fighter at blue belt level and poor stand-up skills it's pretty much a can in my opinion, even if he would have a high primary in wrestling that wouldn't be enough, indeed you'd have to search a lot for someone as crappy as that fighter to set up a match

I voted for "Lose the belt but only if you drop quite a long way below" though I really don't see too much to worry about. Newbies are fighting at a level that their opponent shouldn't have a skill drop because their overall stats are not there for too much decreasing to kick in and if you are a veteran, then you should know how to freaking scout. Also, if you are coming into a fight with a blue belt, you should be careful on the ground whether your opponent is a black belt or a (dropped-down-to) brown belt if he has a tons of submission win.

Newbies should wait a little bit til fighting a black belt, I'm some sort of newbie myself and I haven't fought a black belt yet

Anyway one would assume that by the time a newbie faces a black belt he's actually not a newbie anymore

A fighter at blue belt level and poor stand-up skills it's pretty much a can in my opinion, even if he would have a high primary in wrestling that wouldn't be enough, indeed you'd have to search a lot for someone as crappy as that fighter to set up a match

I have no idea what you're responding to.

There's a big difference in BJJ practioners who compet and who just train. In Brazil many black belts are getting "demolished" by competing purple belts cause they are training hard to be the best, when the black belts maybe roll only to have a hobby in theyr older days. Nobody would ever say though that the BJJ black belt practinioner wouldn't deserve his belt even tough he's not on his "prime"... I think this kind of mentality should be also in this game and therefore a earned BJJ belt shoudnl't be taken away.