FEDOR vs. HENDERSON

Lyoto

47 members have voted

1. 1. ????

• FEDOR EMELIANENKO
    • DAN HENDERSON

Good stoppage - when I first watched the fight, I thought Fedor was out too. He crumpled after that first right hand. Had Herb not stopped it, Hendo would have laid the strikes until he did stop it.

I was reading the reaction on Sherdog and someone actually said "What a bullshit stoppage, Fedor didn't see the uppercut coming from that direction."

I find that funny.

Holy shit is all I can say. The fight was good, I'm happy for Hendo and I hope that Fedor keeps fighting.

At first, I was also like "WHAT? that's a bullshit stoppage!", but then they showed that other angle and Fedor just goes completely ragdoll for a split second and it was truly over, great stoppage by Herb Dean.

I thought that Fedor saying that the stoppage was too early was completely understandable and it's only going to be pathetic if that's still his stance tomorrow.

Good stoppage. You see Fedor go limp for a second, just watch his arms. But yeah at first I was like Wtf...but then when you saw it from that angle, it was clear.

"The two threw absolutely everything they had at eachother before the inevitable result. But, after the fight, Fedor and fans alike have been questioning the call. Was the fight stopped to quick? Yes, but, that's not Herb Dean's fault. It's easy to write an early stoppage off on a referee, but this time it was just a hopeless coincidence. Fedor was corner off in the cage and Dan Henderson was the wall between him and Dean's only view of the Russian's wellness. So, while it was stopped early, Herb Dean made the right call. He used his judgement to spare the Russian any additional damage. In addition to the obviousness of Fedor's condition, Dan Henderson simply wasn't going anywhere."

I found an article that is saying what I have. You know other than some inconsistencies that I did little to clear up.

Anyone else notice how may times Fedor hit Hendo on the back of the head before Hendo popped out the backdoor and clocked him? I see all the whining about Hendo hitting Fedor's head (when Fedor was face planted covering all but the back of his head in the mat) but no mention of the 5 or 6 hits to the back of Hendo's.

Anyone else notice how may times Fedor hit Hendo on the back of the head before Hendo popped out the backdoor and clocked him? I see all the whining about Hendo hitting Fedor's head (when Fedor was face planted covering all but the back of his head in the mat) but no mention of the 5 or 6 hits to the back of Hendo's.

I did notice that as well. Both guys were hitting the back of the head.

Recently, whenever someone goes into "GnP TKO finish mode", the referee seems to ignore shots to the back of the head more than not. Not sure if I'm just imagining things however...that's just what it looks like at a glance.

To be considered hitting the back of the head, I am told it is a pretty small box. Doesn't look like Fedor quite hit him in the back of the head, and I can't really tell with Henderson's hits, but the first of the last 2 definitely doesn't look like it is the back of the head.

The back of the head rule is the biggest BS rule added to MMA. It is impossible to not hit the back of the head at some point. Like the old saying in football. There is holding on every play but sometimes the ref dont see it or call it. Now i am all for any blatant strikes to the back of the head repeatedly. But not in the heat of going for a finish. Also some refs use different rules for this too making it more silly. Some use the head phone rule which is anything from the ears back. Others use the mohawk rule which is just the middle of the head like it sounds. Just think how many head kicks involve the foot coming around and hitting the back of the head. Technically you would have to throw only Karate kicks and land with the feet. Any Thai kick using the shin or instep would cause your foot to land on the back of the head. Just a silly rule.

Strikes in the back of the head and nape are forbidden because they could cause damage to the cerebellum, the nape is a very sensitive area

Damage to the cerebellum can cause this Cerebellum Damage

Last time I checked this is also forbidden in boxing, I believe in all contact sports is forbidden tho

sad that Fedor got another unfortunate loss ... sneaky punch by Hendo ... great job, but grml.

i hope well see Fedor again, but if not thanks for all the memories and adrenalin-rushes ... all of mma doesnt come close i think to how much Fedors fights pumped me full with adrenalin ... he'll forever be one if not the favorite fighter for me

also nobody i wanted to win on this card won ... whats up with that?^^

• Upvote 2

Strikes in the back of the head and nape are forbidden because they could cause damage to the cerebellum, the nape is a very sensitive area

Damage to the cerebellum can cause this Cerebellum Damage

Last time I checked this is also forbidden in boxing, I believe in all contact sports is forbidden tho

I have watched NHB/MMA since 1996 and even before this has never happened in any fight ever. Now like i said i am all for telling fighters to not do it and stopping anyone who does it on purpose. No reason to take a risk. But in most fights it happens during scrambles, exchanges, or attempts to finish. Dan hit near the back of the head(depends what the back of the head is defined as) when Fedor was face down and only the back of hsi head was exposed. Was Dan supposed to quit fighting until Fedor woke up? Drag his body away from the fence and roll him over then pound him? The only way to not hit someone in the back of the head is take away the raw emotion of the sport. The sport of MMA can not exist with strict enforcement of this rule. Luck it isnt enforced that strictly and we only have fighters screwed over every once in a while. You cant bit to the back of the head in boxing because the opponent doesn't give up his back. They do not have to pounce and finish a guy. There is never a time it can be done by accident. The only time anyone gets hit in the back of thehead in boxing is during a tie up and someone gets mad. Most just wait for the break by the ref. You cant really compare the two.

It happens in every fight and there is no way to prevent it. Look at this fight for example. Both Hendo and Fedor hit each other in the back of the head and neither one meant to do it. Do we really want that fight stopped and Fedor deducted a point? Do we really want the fight ruled a No Contest like it never happened? Do we really want a rematch rather than both guys moving on to better fights? Strict enforcement ruins this fight for all involved.

I have watched NHB/MMA since 1996 and even before this has never happened in any fight ever. Now like i said i am all for telling fighters to not do it and stopping anyone who does it on purpose. No reason to take a risk. But in most fights it happens during scrambles, exchanges, or attempts to finish. Dan hit near the back of the head(depends what the back of the head is defined as) when Fedor was face down and only the back of hsi head was exposed. Was Dan supposed to quit fighting until Fedor woke up? Drag his body away from the fence and roll him over then pound him? The only way to not hit someone in the back of the head is take away the raw emotion of the sport. The sport of MMA can not exist with strict enforcement of this rule. Luck it isnt enforced that strictly and we only have fighters screwed over every once in a while. You cant bit to the back of the head in boxing because the opponent doesn't give up his back. They do not have to pounce and finish a guy. There is never a time it can be done by accident. The only time anyone gets hit in the back of thehead in boxing is during a tie up and someone gets mad. Most just wait for the break by the ref. You cant really compare the two.

It happens in every fight and there is no way to prevent it. Look at this fight for example. Both Hendo and Fedor hit each other in the back of the head and neither one meant to do it. Do we really want that fight stopped and Fedor deducted a point? Do we really want the fight ruled a No Contest like it never happened? Do we really want a rematch rather than both guys moving on to better fights? Strict enforcement ruins this fight for all involved.

What I was trying to say is that this rule is not silly as you said and it has an important reason why was employed

never said that, don't know where you come up with this, but if u really want my opinion he could aim shots to the body, his body was also exposed or the side of the head

Hendo was pretty cautious even when Fedor was laying his face on the floor he was chipping some shots and some of them landed on the back of the head

anyway this is not too important and strict rules cannot be employed regarding this rule

I was disappointed cause the fight was too short, maybe a rematch would make this more clear

Oh, yeah and also very obvious is that Hendo clearly intend to hit Fedor in the back of the head, clear as daylight. It's obvious that unintentional hits cannot be forbidden, but in this case the intention is clear. Probably this rule will not be taken serious until someone gets badly hurt.

sad that Fedor got another unfortunate loss ... sneaky punch by Hendo ... great job, but grml.

i hope well see Fedor again, but if not thanks for all the memories and adrenalin-rushes ... all of mma doesnt come close i think to how much Fedors fights pumped me full with adrenalin ... he'll forever be one if not the favorite fighter for me

also nobody i wanted to win on this card won ... whats up with that?^^

this , his round are 5mn but looks like 30seconds

Oh, yeah and also very obvious is that Hendo clearly intend to hit Fedor in the back of the head, clear as daylight. It's obvious that unintentional hits cannot be forbidden, but in this case the intention is clear. Probably this rule will not be taken serious until someone gets badly hurt.

I have already spoke my opinion. You must be very gifted to know Hendo's intentions. Sounds like you are just upset that Fedor lost. Maybe you should like the sport rather than another man? You wont feel let down. Also there have been like 100,000 MMA fights and the sport is now 18 years old. There have been 3 deaths that i know of in MMA. Yet nothing was done not should it have been. Its a dangerous sport and just as with anything in this world people die doing anything and everything eventually. If 3 people daying in 18 years isnt reason to ban the sport or add all kinds of rules. 1 person dying every 25-30+ years isnt reason to ruin the sport over with watered down rules. There is always people like you who get emotional when their boy loses and they would throw the sport under the bus to get another out come. Someone favorite fighter loses by cut from an elbow there is a 100 threads about banning elbows. Your guy gets pinned against the cage and beat senseless we get "Cage Sucks" threads. In the end the sting from this loss will go away and you will frget all about it. Then another fighter you root for will be on the verge of victory Ala Lesnar vs Mir 1. As your guy pours on the GnP for the finish the opponent turns his head mid punch and you guy loses a point, loses the fight or is DQ or a NC. Either way your guy gets screwed. I doubt you would be loving this rule. History has shown us the dangers of this strike are not that high in MMA. Punches to the throat are dangerous too. It could crush the wind pipe. But there is no rule against it and i have seen many people hit there with no effect. Barry vs Hardonk for example. there is always danger in everything. But 18 years is enough evidence to not allow a rule/ or strictly enforce a rule that greatly effects a sport.

BTW very funny saying Dan should have went to the body for the finish. You really beleave when you have a fighter out you should punch him to the body? You think the ref would stop that? You think Fedor is going to stay out because of that? Come on now. Maybe Dan should have applied an Indian Burn. lol