Are Orgs Harder To Run These Days?

DeadlyDirk

I'm just curious really on where things stand with orgs at the moment in terms of the amount of work needed and how they find dealing with individual managers since some of the recent changes.

It could be completely coincidence but in the last month or so I've noticed a lot of the orgs I'm involved in changing owners or closing down all together, I didn't think much of it though, thought of it as just being my month that a couple of orgs I'm in change hands and another month it'll be someone else and wasn't a big deal.

Today thought I started to think about it again and wondered if running an org has become more difficult.

What got me thinking about it again is in the last 2 days I've been offered 4 fights on about a weeks notice which is rather odd for the orgs, most of them are usually on a kind of 3-4 week basis, which from what I gather is kind of the norm, or at least perhaps it used to be. I won't mention any of the orgs as none of them have done anything wrong at all, especially on a one off basis, like I said it's all different orgs. I don't have any problems with any of you and understand the reasoning behind the couple I queried. (I accepted them all for the record but just queried the timing on a couple)

So then this all reminded me of a mail I got about 2 weeks ago, no idea now who it was off hand and gave it little thought at the time, it was one of those mass mailout org messages where someone mentioned that, 'Due to the tickers some people want to fight more often so that's why you might get a few short notice fights'.

So with all that in mind it just got to be wondering whether or not running an org as a whole has become harder since the tickers came in and some people want to fight a lot more frequently than others. I've never ran an org and only worked for one renewing contracts but surely it must be getting tricky these days balancing those fighters that are 'ready' and want to fight as often as possible against those that are past the 'project' learning stage and want to fight on a normal basis but still with room in between to have a good week or two of training after recovery time. On top of that you of course would have the usual headaches which have always been there in terms of matching up hype/rank/skills etc and of course people who are just generally hard to deal with!

Or alternatively has it not been that much of an issue and this is indeed just a coincidence and happens to be my week?

I feel like I'm in quite a good position to comment on this because I started an org a couple of years back, and have started a new one very recently - so I have experienced both sides of it.

I think you are absolutely right that the ticker changes have caused a bit of a shift in what people want from an org, and a lot of orgs out there are attempting to adapt to it, but for me that doesn't make it harder. It just makes it a slightly different challenge.

Before, we were planning things for a few weeks in advance. Now, we're planning for a couple of weeks in advance - that's all. For org owners that spend a lot of time on this game I'm pretty sure that doesn't make a huge difference. But, for org owners that were a bit less active, it may have become a little problematic - maybe that's why you've seen a lot of orgs closing down.

I don't want to speak for everyone, but in my personal experience it hasn't become harder, it's just become different.

probably harder to start one now, since there are so many, but the day-to-day operations probably aren't any more difficult than they have been in the past.

that being said, i've never run one on my own (i've done matchmaking and recruiting in the past, but that's it)

If you are trying to provide fights more often it does become a little trickier, especially if you have one guy who wants to fight every two weeks and another who responds to fight offers every two weeks.

What I think makes for extra difficulty is short notice fights speeds up the collapse of divisions. If you are fighting every 2-3 weeks, rather than every 5 or 6, then fighters start facing the same guys more and more often. With fewer match making possibilities, guys want to leave because they can't beat the champ, or they have cleaned out the division. With quicker fights, guys get cut faster because they start becoming failures faster. With all of this becomes a massive pressure for what is the real tedious work for org owners: recruitment.

• Upvote 2

running specialized organizations is a bit hard.. I run a k1 org and its hard to find fighters to fight in this style, so Idont usually have the luxury of offering +2weeks in adv fights.. thats one of the drawback...howver Ive noticed the hype change for a positive.

Im actually making 2x more income than I was before after expenses with the new hype change...even with a NC O.o

I've only recently in the past couple of months started up the org again, and I'm definitely noticing a difference.

I find it quite difficult to fill a full fight card these days due to managers using more excuses than I previously experienced, to decline fights. As previously wih EEC I've restricted entry by ID (currently around the 100k mark) to try stop old fighters coming in and just destroying everyone else at their weight, and get competitive weight classes wher the belts could change hands every now and again, though u will get some guys who just turn out good and can beat everyone else. Still though, I get guys declining fights despite having a 30k+ fighter ID advantage on the guy they decline against(just as an example, but similar things like this happen quite a lot)! It then becomes difficult to scramble round trying to get enough confirmed fights to fill the cards. It then disrupts cards which are scheduled to occur after as I can't go booking fights till I try get the 1st card fully confirmed as much as I can.

Fighter pay has gone up a wee bit, but I like to think I always pay well, and was by far the best paying org in NY at the time I was running it when I had a lot more time previously. Though i'm pretty much back to normal now with the time to do it.

The declining fights and managers seemingly just wanting to pad their record to keep their manager rank is the only mjaor issue I see these days. I know from myself I never decline fights and if I do, it's only because I'd like at least an extra week or 2 to prepare for each of my guys. And, if I do decline against a guy who I think has a very big possibility of crushing my guy, I'll just ask that the org owner reschedules the fight for a week or 2 later, so that I'm still taking the fight. That's just me though, I like a challenge, even if I have slim chance of winning.

I've prob just waffled a lot of rubbish here, but just the way I've been thinking lately since getting back into the org business.

:thumbup: :dj:

• Upvote 1

Not sure if it has to do with the tickers, but DJ.Rich seems to be experiencing the same frustrations I've been having for the last little while.

Been running an org for almost 2 years and records are currently being broken for the amount of declined fight offers...that's the hardest thing to deal with for me as an org owner right now and it seems I'm not the only one.

I've only just become VIP and started my first org in London, One Punch Championship, and I am finding it really hard actually getting fighters signed up in the first place.

Recruitment is my problem.

So if anyone has a London based fighter, go to One Punch Championship in London and PM me.

I know from personal knowledge that some of the closures were to do profit being down. Mainly because of greedy managers. This came from those owners.

From a numbers stand point,a a fighter is only worth his hype/pop. If you have an 11-3 fighter, but 2 of those losses were his most recent, he's not worth what you think. Maybe 4/4.

Granted I think it was probably a combination of the other things (more declines, more inactives, ect) and profit became the straw that broke the camel's back.

I've only just become VIP and started my first org in London, One Punch Championship, and I am finding it really hard actually getting fighters signed up in the first place.

Recruitment is my problem.

So if anyone has a London based fighter, go to One Punch Championship in London and PM me.

make a banner with a link to the org, and put it in your signature here on the forums. you gotta advertise if you want to attract new talent ;)

I wouldn't say it's harder. There have always been peaks and valleys in terms of signing and filling cards. Sometimes there are tons of guys, sometimes there are none. IMO signing FAs is the hardest part of an org.

From my point of view, as I was a recent owner discussing Organizational changes which may or may not have triggered your email it is just a matter of time. If you want to be a top level Org you have to put in the time, you need to constantly be working on bringing in new talent, booking great events if you wish to make any coin and just plain be active. I am starting to think that a 2 or 3 headed monster may be the best way to keep a top Org at the top that way each individual can remain focused on one specific area and not spread yourself too thin.