Ascension: Get to know us

This is the official Ascension fighters thread. We will be posting fighter interviews, divisional rankings, etc in this forum. If you have a fighter in Ascension and would like to take part, please let me know, if you don't have a fighter with us, why not?

Fighter: Orlando Noriega

Weight: Ascension Heavy Weight Champion

Interview by Dinoooo

Some people have things handed to them, some people have to earn there shot, Orlando Noriega didn't just earn his shot, he took it with both hands. The man that says very few words and does his talking in the cage took a short time out of his after party to have a few drinks and let us know a little bit about him, we quickly found out that he can understand english but he can't speak it.

Reporter - So how did you get into MMA?

Noriega - De onde eu venho você luta. Você se levantar por si mesmo e lutar todos os dias. O ginásio foi a minha fuga da vida no Peru.

(Where I come from you fight. You stand up for yourself and fight every day. The gym was my escape from life in Peru.)

Reporter - So im guessing life for you was tough growing up?

Noriega - Poderia de sido pior. Você compará-lo com os americanos e você pode dizer que foi difícil, mas que é apenas a vida no Peru. Lá você está acostumado a ele. Você começa em coisas, você faz as coisas, e merda acontece. Apenas a vida. Ele continua e eu não perca a vida que deixei para trás no Peru.

(It could of been worse. You compare it with Americans and you can say it was tough but that is just life in Peru. Down there you are used to it. You get into things, you do things, and shit happens. Just life. It goes on and I do not miss the life I left behind in Peru.)

Reporter - Good to hear good to hear, so in a recent convo with Golden Glory's manager he said that if you win another fight maybe you and Glory could throw down at the end of the year big event what do you think of that?

Noriega - A luta com o Golden Glory seria divertido. Você me pagar dinheiro suficiente eu vou lutar contra qualquer homem neste planeta. Vou testar seu queixo e seu coração. Você já viu o medo nos olhos um homem quando ele bate em você com seu melhor tiro e você continuar vindo para a frente?

(A fight with Golden Glory would be fun. You pay me enough money I will fight any man on this planet. I will test his chin and his heart. Have you ever seen the fear in a mans eyes when he hits you with his best shot and you keep coming forward?)

Reporter - No...

Noriega - Você pode ver o olhar em seus olhos que lhe diz que eles estão com medo. Eu cheirava o medo de um homem na gaiola.

(You can see the look in their eyes that tells you they are afraid. I have smelled the fear of a man in the cage.)

Reporter - Really? What did it smell like?

Noriega - Merda

(Shit.)

Reporter Laughs

Noriega - Por que você está rindo? Algo engraçado sobre mim

(Why are you laughing? Something funny about me?)

Reporter - No no i would never offend you like that

Noriega - Você está tentando causar problemas comigo?

(are you trying to cause problems with me?)

reporter - No of course not.... I would never...

Noriega - Bom. Porque eu gosto de você e não quero ter que te machucar.

(Good because I like you and wouldn't want to have to hurt you)

reporter- i think i was two seconds away from finding out what your first opponent felt like

Noriega - Agora você sabe que não há nada engraçado sobre um homem cagando-se

(good now you know there is nothing funny about a man shitting himself)

reporter - so a fighter actually shit himself when you two were fighting?

Noriega - Si.

(yes)

*both of them laugh and order another drink*

Reporter - So whats next for you in your fighting career, ofcourse you want that shot at Glory but who do you see as your next opponent.

Noriega - Vou assumir qualquer adversário e aceitar qualquer luta. Eu só quero ser pago para que eu possa aposentar-se e apoiar meus filhos e resto da minha família.

(I will take on any opponent and accept any fight. I just want to be paid so I can retire and support my kids and rest of my family.)

Reporter - Well iv been told it will be the winner of Holyshit and Brown, out of them both who would you like to take on.

Noriega - Eu não sou seletivo com quem vou lutar. Vou lutar os dois na mesma noite e Golden Glory no estacionamento se eu era pago para fazer isso.

(I am not selective with whom I will fight. I will fight both of them in the same night and Golden Glory in the parking lot if I was paid to do so. )

Reporter - It's nice to meet a fighter with a lot of respect for his fellow MMA fighters im guessing your not one for the trash talking anymore?

Noriega - Eu deixei meu punho fala por mim. Eu tenho bastante respeito a qualquer lutador que passos na gaiola comigo. Se eles são desrespeitosos fora da gaiola eu vou matá-los.

(I let my fist talk for me. I have enough respect to any fighter who steps in the cage with me. If they are disrespectful outside of the cage I will kill them.)

Reporter - I don't think you can say that, you will kill them? Figuretively speaking?

Orlando - Não, eles vão desaparecer.

(No they will disappear)

Reporter - Well thanks for the bio Orlando, im really happy to see you doing well and wish you all the luck in the future.

Noriega - *best Arnold Swartzanager impression for a Peruvian Drug lorg* Asta lavista bab

• Upvote 1

Ascension Divisional Rankings.

These are the official unofficial rankings courtesy of Dinooo. If you don't like your ranking, do something about it :P Call someone out. PM me about a fight. Man up. -Skinny Vince

Lightweight.

1. Blokada Leningrada - Coming off a great win against Cory Smith the Champ looks to take on the number 2 ranked fighter next up.

2. Rolando Garcia - The man hoping to take the belt from the Champion as he beat Cruz in the last match to finally get the fight he wanted.

3. Humberto Cruz - Cruz had a bad loss this month to Garcia but is looking to take on another fight this month against the number 4 fighter.

4. Brent Celek - Celek is running on a high after defeating Reggie and as things stand could be one fight away from a title shot

5. Chucho Benitez - Promotional new comer looking to make his mark here after fighting in Blitz, we will see what he is made of in a few weeks as he takes on Gaia Ky

Welterweight

1. Dakota Royer - Champion Royer hasn't fought this month due to other top challangers fighting at other events, but will be tested in his next fight against Jake Young.

2. Uncomfortable Positions - Former Blitz star is making his way to Asension, while rumours circulate that he could be fighting the winner of Royer vs Young we will have to wait and see.

3. Royce SilvA - After raking up wins like no ones business, Silva has his dream match up, he is fighting the number 1 Welterweight in the world Arthur Meighen maybe after that fight he will fight for the title.

4. Dominick Rivaldi - After coming off a few nice wins, Rivaldi is hit with the biggest test yet for him, a fight against John Askren which could put him in title contention.

5. John Askren - Just like Rivaldi his next opponent is dying for a shot at Royer again but cannot look past the skills of Rivaldi.

Middleweight.

1. Wade Wilson - The Champion is 7-0 in his career and looks to make it 8-0 against the dangerous Chimpo, if he gets through that fight, it will only get harder with the new pool of talent here.

2. Gentleman Ghost - Ghost if you haven't heard of him then you have been living in a shell, finally making his debut against Uesugi in a fight that will sure have fireworks.

3. Royce Grazies - Grazies is finally here in the big time and is looking to make his mark on the division as he takes on Anubis in his debut.

4. Shizuka Uesugi - After his huge win at RISEN, he takes on the biggest test of his career against Gentleman Ghost, if he wins that match, he culd be next in line fr a shot at the belt.

5. John Plank - He's coming off a very close Split Decision win against Esq and from what we have heard the fans want, a instant rematch should be on the cards.

Light Heavyweight

1. Taj al Din - al Din is coming off a shock loss to Kane in the superfight at RISEN, but hes back training hard looking to unleash hell on his next opponent.

2. Tanner Reach - Undefeated in his first 5 fights taking peoples heads off in the process is looking for another victim to add to his collection.

3. Ola Afolabi - Another former Blitz superstar making his way to Ascension and has his first fight locked in place against Nix.

4. Jimmy Nix - Nix has looked very good in his previous fights and looks to earn a shot at al Din, but first he has Afolabi to get through, and that is no easy task.

5. Horst Linkke - Linkke won in a amazing preformance in his last fight and rumour has it he will fight Offenhard in his next fight to try and force his way into the title picture.

Heavyweight

1. Orlando Noriega - The Champion has looked unbeatable, and it has asked the question can anyman beat him, with a shot against the number 1 fighter in the game looming he first has to take out the new number one contender.

2. Evander Holyshit - Number one contender now has to try and stop the train that is Noriega, looked awesome in his last preformance and showed the champion that he will be in for a fight when they lock horns.

3. Edward Jones - Another great heavyweight prospect here in Ascension, has destroyed everyone thats came his way here, and will be looking to get his name in the title picture very soon.

4. Xydorn Xanthopoulous Xvii - Xvii is 11-0 so far, like Jones he has looked very good in all his fights and the fans are calling for him and Jones to fight it out in a battle that will prove who is the better man.

5. George Steele - Coming off a tough loss to the Champion, he will be looking to make things right again here and try get himself another shot at the belt as he takes on undefeated Hale Erwin in a few weeks time.

Openweight

1. Kaely Cullen - Recently shown what a top talent he is, he has taking on all comers for his belt and left them face first on the mat and is seeking to find a new challanger for the belt.

2. Joe Rogan - Has left a path of bodies of late taking only 1 min to defeat his previous two opponents and is looking for a shot at Cullens belt but first he needs to get through Burell .

3. Justin Burell - Recently lost to the champion but really wants to get himself back to winning ways again against Joe Rogan in a fight that may see him get another title shot.

4. Rampage Jackson - Currently lost his previous two fights but has said he is stepping up his game to get back to winning ways against whoever we have to throw at him.

5. Huge G Rection - Lost in a very one sided fight to the champion but has said he wasn't feeling himself in the fight and wants to get back in the cage as soon as possible with maybe a rematch against Jackson in the cards.

One's to watch out for this month.

Lightweight Gary Bunn - looked awesome so far in his career so far going undefeated and will be looking to make a name for himself over the next month, he is hungry and wants to get himself into the rankings next month.

Welterweight Adam Lockwood - Destoryed his previous opponent without much problem and is looking for another fight asap to get him into a position that he can start to really climb the rankings over the next month.

Middleweight Keith RunningRabbit - Is looking to make a run for the title, he is back training and dedicated to winning his next few fights to get him up the ladder here at Ascension.

Light Heavyweight Link Gatez - after slumping to two loss's he went to the gym and trained harder than ever before and came into his last fight looking in the best shape of his career and won with ease against a very strong opponent.

Heavyweight Vadim Demidov - In a very deep pool with some very strong fighters, Demidov looked better than ever in his previous fight and really wants to try make a run up the rankings in his next few fights to get himself to where he wants, Ascension champion.

Openweight Tiago Silva - Has looked in very good form of late and is trying to push himself up the ladders with a win in his next fight, after that another win could see him break into the top 5 for next month.

Evander Holyshit Interview, after seeing the interview with Noriega, Sean McDonnel contacted me after his fighter Holyshit won his number 1 contendership match wanting to tell his side of the story, so i got on the first plane to New York and into Fuse House Gym for the interview.

Reporter - Nice to meet you Sean and Evander, so first off congrads on the win against Brown, how do you feel Evander after that big victory?

Evander - "I feel great. We knew this would be a tough fight. Bullshido is a tough opponent, and he comes from a great camp. Thug Nificent is one helluva manager, and his whole team has been on a roll lately. I trained real hard for this fight though, I've been chasing Orlando for 7 months. I just wanted to come out and impose my will in this fight, and leave no doubt who the #1 contender was, and i feel like I accomplished that."

Reporter - Now we know the next match up is a rematch against Noriega, whats your thoughts on that?

Evander - "Finally, finally, FINALLY! That's exactly how i feel. The last time i saw Orlando Noriega, Sami Assisi was wrapping MY Dominance Fighting Heavyweight title around his waist. That was the lowest moment in my whole career. Going into the fight everyone told me I was overmatched, that I bit off more then I could chew. I had people coming up to me in the streets, and in the airport telling me that Orlando was gonna take my title. Hell even his manager Tony Harris emailed Sean here, and told him as much. I took some time off after the fight to shore up some holes in my game. I came out strong in my next fight and knocked out an undefeated Demetriou, and then found myself matched up with Sonny Muchacho's, Viljo Laine. I knew in my head that if I beat a tough guy like Viljo that i might get my rematch against Orlando, and I simply looked right past Laine. I went out there and fought safe, I fought to not lose that fight. I won't ever make that mistake again. It all worked out for the best though, I had a lot of growing as a martial artist to do, and as a man. I wasn't ready for that fight then, I am definitely ready now."

Reporter - I'd like to know a bit about how you Evander got into MMA and how did you and Sean meet?

Evander - "I'm from a small town in Mississippi, Abeyville. One night when i was 8 years old, I lost my whole family. My dad, mom and sister were on their way back from my sisters basketball game when they were hit and killed by a drunk driver. My wasn't in the car because my grandparents were watching me. They are also the ones who raised me after my parents died. I was an angry child, had a lot of built up rage at the loss of my family. I started doing drugs when i was 12, and got arrested at that age for possession of marijuana. My grandpa whooped my ass so bad I couldn't sit for 2 days. A week later he enrolled me in some boxing classes. He said I needed some discipline, and a place to vent some of my inner demons. He was in the war with the owner of the gym, and his friend looked out for me. I'd go there and box after school, and then stick around to clean up at the end of the night. When i was 18, a man named Austin Campbell came to our gym to work his hands. He was an amatuer mma fighter. He got me hooked on mma immediately, but didn't have any more room for me to train with him. He introduced me to Sean Mcdonnell. Sean flew me up to New York to train with him, and I've been with him ever since.

Reporter - Now we know that you are hungry for the title and on a great streak, how do you feel the fight with Noriega will go?

Evander - "I'll tell you exactly who this fight is gonna go. I'm gonna take my right fist, and punch right through his damn skull, and I'm gonna keep hitting him until he stops moving, or until the ref pulls me off his unconscious body. This time, at the end of the night, he is gonna be watching Skinny VInce wrap his Ascension Heavyweight title around MY waist."

Reporter - Do you think that Noriega might be looking through your fighter for the next match up against Golden Glory?

Evander - "Look, I'm not gonna make assumptions as to what Orlando Noriega is thinking or doing. I hope he's training as though I am Golden Glory. I just hope that he's studying film on me and not Glory. If Orlando thinks he can win this fight by just showing up he's gonna be in for a rude awakening."

Reporter - Talking of Golden Glory, your fighting a training partner of his Ghost. Are you looking forward to locking horns with Gunmetal?

Sean - "I mo thuairimse, ní mór dúinn seans maith sa chomhrac. Uesugi is Trodaire spreagúil, thug sé cinnte é an ceann agus everytime céimeanna sé sa Cage. Ba chóir é a bheith ina troid an-siamsaíocht agus táimid ag súil go mór é. Beidh orainn a bheith réidh."

translated: (think we have a good chance in this fight. Uesugi is an exciting fighter, he certainly brings it each and everytime he steps in the cage. It should be a very entertaining fight and we're looking forward to it. We'll be ready.)

Reporter - Evander, Do you have any last comments to send to Noriega and his manager?

Evander - "Ya, I have something to say to him. Have Tony start shining my belt, so it looks real nice and pretty when you give it back to me."

Reporter - Thanks Evander and Sean for meeting with me and good luck in the future.

Reporter - So there it is ladies and gentlemen the trash talking has begun between these two fighters, it will be Orlando Noriega vs Evander Holyshit part 2, and this time its personal.

• 2 weeks later...

Royce Silva Interview courtesy of Dinooo

Reporter - Thanks for meeting with me today Royce, so how was it you got into MMA?

Silva - I started BJJ at a early age, training with the Gracie's gave me the edge, when i turned 18 i wanted to prove myself to the world that i was one of the best fighters in the world. Just so happened Mr Vince was in Rio at the time offered me to come to Hilo to train with his guys, and it took off from there.

Reporter - After entering in the Welterweight GP and losing twice you have put together a great streak of fights, whats changed?

Silva - My head wasn't into fighting at the time, i wasn't training the way i should and really lacked the motivation, but Skinny asked me if i still wanted to be a fighter, because if i didn't he would send me back to Rio, thats when i changed, i put 100% into training everyday and always bring the best to every fight.

Reporter - Well it sure has paid off, now you have the biggest fight of your career against Arthur Meighen, what do you think the chances are of you pulling off the win.

Silva - As i proved in my last fight, i can never be counted out, i am always dangerous throughout the fight, and if you lapse in concentration once and i can slap a submission on you. tap, snap or nap i love to finish fights.

Reporter - Like what happened in your last fight?

Silva - Yes, i always thought i could finish that fight, and i did. Many see it as a upset but i see it as something i worked in the gameplan, i wanted to take him into the deep waters and finish him.

Reporter - How do you feel the Meighen fight going?

Silva - Me getting my hand raised at the end of the fight, i don't care how i do it, i want to win this fight for my fans, my manager and prove that i am the number one welterweight in the world, and only Arthur stands in the way of me and that goal.

Reporter - Finally i have to ask, if you win this fight will you stay with Ascension or will you go around travelling looking for a superfight elsewhere?

Silva - I guess we'll just all have to wait and see.....

Reporter - Thanks for taking the time to give us a insight to your world, Ascension 46 - Its never over live on PPV don't miss it!

• 2 months later...

Ascension Double Header - Deadhouse Gates &

Memories of Ice

Gentleman Ghost vs Makao Matsumoto Light Heavyweight Fight

Former Middleweight Ghost has taken his managers advice as Grey wants to own two belts in the number one org in the game. Ghost after beating Belfort in his last fight has shown that he was one of the best in the Middleweight Division the problem was his stablemate is the champion here so he decided to move up a weightclass. Now at 205 he faces his first challanger in the form of BJJ blackbelt Matsumoto who has found times tough in Ascension going 0-3. He lost a razor close split decision in his last fight which means things are looking up for the one time title challanger after suffering two TKO loss's before that. His ground game is top notch but Ghost is also one of the very best on the ground. In the stand up Ghost has the edge on his opponent so he might try to keep this fight on the feet and force Matsumoto to stand with him, either way this is a great match up and one of these two great fighters will start there climb for a shot at the belt.

Arturo Gatti III v Miguel Lopez Lightweight Fight

Two newcomers to Ascension face off in what to me is a contest of two of the very best lightweights in the game. Ill start off with Gatti, one of the very best lightweights in the world has come to show off his skills here at Ascension. He has never been finished and tends to finish fights more often than not. His two loss's in his career one comes in his debut fight and the other came more recently against one of the best fighters in the world, which is not a bad thing. He is very much a stand up fighter but has skills on the ground too which makes him a very difficult opponent to defeat but Lopez plans to do just that. Lopez has only one defeat on his record which he avenged in the very next fight. The two weight champion is hoping to prove that he is the best in the world and now here at Ascension he will get to prove it. Like Gatti, he is a stand up fighter and has been submitted in the past. He shouldn't really need to worry about that in this fight as Gatti will look to stand and trade blows with him. In what could be a war between these two the winner should be the next in line to get a shot at the belt.

Memories of Ice Main Event

Sagara Sanosuke v Sub Zero Middleweight Fight

Sanosuke is well known in Russia and Japan, he is now looking to make his mark in the middleweight division here in LA. His lack of power is really his only weakness in his game but what he lacks in power he makes up for in sheer workrate. Always willing to throw that extra punch and go the extra mile in fights and tonight he hopes to do that against Zero. Zero lost his first fight here in Ascension against former number one welterweight Royce SilvA and is looking to reboud with a win here tonight. The former LACF champion is a submission fighter with some brutal ground and pound. His only problem was on his feet where he seems to have a weakness but most fighters struggle to stop his takedowns and his submissions are second to none. So tonight will Sanosuke create a shockwave in the middleweight division or can Zero pull off the submission? One things for sure, i cant wait to find out.

Kel Varnson v Orlando Noriega Heavyweight Fight

The rematch between these two has been highly anticipated. In a what was a one sided fight last time, Varnson hopes to correct the mistake's he made last time. His work he put in for this fight was outstanding and the heavy hitter from New York City looks to avenge that defeat with another highlight reel knockout. Ascensions former Heavyweight Champion Noriega lost his belt in a shock first round submission against AWOL Patterson. After defeating some of the very best Ascension had to offer, Noriega now finds himself having to fight his way back to the title, will he be able to pull it off or will Varnson get his revenge...

Pickem Fight

Eaton Cox v Dakota Royer Welterweight Fight

Cox has had a up and down time of late and lost his last fight in a split decision and the fights don't get any easier for one of the best welterweights of all time. Hes up against former champion Royer who has stopped his current losing streak after defeating Mr Black's fighter in Helsinki, he is now back in Ascension and he wants another shot at the belt. The man they call Mini Cro Cop will be looking to deliver one of his trademark headkicks to Cox, who on the otherhand will want to get Royer to the ground and either pound him out or tap him out. This is a battle of two of the most well respected Welterweights on the planet and i for one can't wait to see the results of this fight. Royers Manger promises me a headkick KO... i wonder if he will come through with that promise.

Thats it all folks for me Dinooo hope you enjoyed the write up and ill be back next week.