How many WeBL veterans are in here

Warwynd

I was just reading a thread on here about this very topic in fact. But I don't think there should be round by round tactics in place in this game. Conditional Sliders of some type might be cool, but will they add a level of complexity that the game doesn't really need? I am undecided on the conditional sliders. I am having enough trouble working out my slider fu as is... :sad01_anim:

I think if WeBL had kept the formula(s) secret than the list of conditionals, even a limit could have been significantly reduced. Unless I am mistaken a slider on MMA is just a cosmetic way to create a conditional and then sim runs by crunching our fighter stats & sliders (conditionals) v those of our opponent ? WeBL was not nearly 20 years old with minimal development. MMA shows what WeBL may have become perhaps.

The biggest drawback MMA has and probably not one that can ever be solved without losing some great elements is a 'linear' step by step ranking system and greater fairness in fights re fighter v fighter.

I think if WeBL had kept the formula(s) secret than the list of conditionals, even a limit could have been significantly reduced. Unless I am mistaken a slider on MMA is just a cosmetic way to create a conditional and then sim runs by crunching our fighter stats & sliders (conditionals) v those of our opponent ? WeBL was not nearly 20 years old with minimal development. MMA shows what WeBL may have become perhaps.

The biggest drawback MMA has and probably not one that can ever be solved without losing some great elements is a 'linear' step by step ranking system and greater fairness in fights re fighter v fighter.

Is it bad that i agree completely with this, particularly the bold part?

:yeahright:

Numerous WeBLers here incl many from the greatest WeBL region ever (UK/UKN). I cannot even remember who you were Stark and I never had you banned. My greatest crime was backing Morton to play a big part in managing the game which led to him taking over as Chairman and proceeding to fix fights until exposed by Iain (who is also playing this game). Lesson 1, never trust any member of the God squad. If it is any consolation I was banned far more times than anybody else.

Yeah right.... I took that title hands down...

Ghosts! Nice to see you. Weren't you part of the Evil Empire at one point?

Certainly was Stark not long before the game dies on it's arse...

I was a WeBL addict, I ran The Anagram Gym but I came to it after the peak of the game. By the time the game died I was one of the top 10 or so managers in the game but there were far less managers around at that stage so I don't know how I'd have stacked up when the game was at its zenith.

Strategically I think that WeBL kicked MMAT's arse but the all round game experience is much better here. The forums work much better here too, the forums at WeBL were either puritanical or a complete free for all and it could allow decent people to turn into complete pricks who would post the most obscene remarks and then justify it by claiming that they were playing a character. I've not been a big user of the forums here but I've never had a problem and have generally found people very helpful.

I was WeBl's version of Jacky ;) except I didn't type in broken English and took on all comers.

:youwish: Ghosts. Only 1 manager was banned at the 'end' / still is :bangin:

To be fair Stark in the latter stages of WeBL's demise, bans were handed out for nothing. After Duck (RIP) handed the Chairmanship to Mortons the game descended into farce with Mortons fixing fights, IIRC one or two others did similarly. The game post Duck became shambolic. A maths geek whose name escapes me showed how to win virtually every fight THAT HE TOOK.

I had generally positive discourse with Mortons, I am a bit shocked that he was involved in something as shady as fight fixing. I heard something or the other about CPU fighters as well... all long after I departed.

So was I. I guess the temptation of having virtually sole control became too much and although Bruce acknowledged it was happening he decided it was worth paying to keep the game going. Bruce had far too much on his plate with real life and was let down twice first with EKO and then with WeBL. At one stage a manager called PiP was interested in buying it but it never happened. The last throes of the game were pitiful.

So was I. I guess the temptation of having virtually sole control became too much and although Bruce acknowledged it was happening he decided it was worth paying to keep the game going. Bruce had far too much on his plate with real life and was let down twice first with EKO and then with WeBL. At one stage a manager called PiP was interested in buying it but it never happened. The last throes of the game were pitiful.

I remember when PiP made an offer for it. There was a few other things going on two where some Canadian guy (can't remember his name) was going to try and add a feature that would do graphics for the fight, but Bruce didn't want to fund it. I even saw people making offers to buy it after the crash, but nothing ever came of it of course.

I was WeBl's version of Jacky ;) except I didn't type in broken English and took on all comers.

Subtlety was never my strong point Ben :) though I wasn't only referring to you in my last post...

:youwish: Ghosts. Only 1 manager was banned at the 'end' / still is :bangin:

To be fair Stark in the latter stages of WeBL's demise, bans were handed out for nothing. After Duck (RIP) handed the Chairmanship to Mortons the game descended into farce with Mortons fixing fights, IIRC one or two others did similarly. The game post Duck became shambolic. A maths geek whose name escapes me showed how to win virtually every fight THAT HE TOOK.

The math geek was Kachalka...

KaDUCKA!!! He was not as good at the pure math side of things as Art of Pugilism. He used Time Zones and the Duck then Jump methode to ensure that he would take only the fights he had almost no chance of losing anyway. Sure he would have been pretty awesome anyway with his math skills, but he was one of the absolute worst for using that shady ass tactic.

• 2 weeks later...