The ground game seems a little messed up

Here's something that I've noticed in my last fight, and I've seen traces of it in other fights.

My fighter: BJJ blue belt with competent defensive grappling

My opponent:BJJ blue belt

During the total of 8 minutes of fighting, he did nothing but spam subs from the ground, a total of 17 attempts, making it one attempt every 30 seconds. Despite my guy's skill, and the fact that someone throwing constant sub attempts is very predictable, he got it on the 17th try.

My question is: Since constantly shooting for takedowns or the clinch is predictable and makes it more difficult to pull off, why don't subs do the same? I also was wondering why his guy wasn't gassed from constantly expending energy trying to choke/armbar/etc my fighter.

Your opponent does go from 90-95% energy to 60%. Considering this was your opponent's strategy, he likely trained heavily for cardio to compensate, allowing him to exhaust your fighter faster with more attempts and then get it locked in.

I think spamming subs does make them more predictable and more easily avoided.

Two things to consider here:

1) Blue belt ranges from ca 30 to ca 70 BJJ skill, and judging from your other skills he might have had ca 60-40 advantage.

2) Competent is pretty low subdefense. Even a lowly blue belt can be "wonderful" there, and may also of course have wonderful sub skills.

I think spamming subs does make them more predictable and more easily avoided.

Two things to consider here:

1) Blue belt ranges from ca 30 to ca 70 BJJ skill, and judging from your other skills he might have had ca 60-40 advantage.

2) Competent is pretty low subdefense. Even a lowly blue belt can be "wonderful" there, and may also of course have wonderful sub skills.

it appears.. that stamina has almost no bearing on if you geta submission or not. It only applies if your fighter comes in out of shape. then you cant submit someone. otherwise you can spam submissions all day long, eventually you will get one to work, no matter how tired you are. thats not how it should be.

it appears.. that stamina has almost no bearing on if you geta submission or not. It only applies if your fighter comes in out of shape. then you cant submit someone. otherwise you can spam submissions all day long, eventually you will get one to work, no matter how tired you are. thats not how it should be.

Yeah, it's total bullshit. hat stamina should have gone to 0, no some fuckin 60. It's by far the most annoying detail of the game.

And it really makes it unfair for balanced guys.

I've been saying it post after post, this is bs, we need a system where after going for the same shit nonstop after 7-8 attempts it should be MUCH harder to pull a sub or get a takedown.

These very common game fights are EXTREMELY rare in real life.

And you want to know why the Diaz's cant win a descision ever? They do nothing but subs from bottom and it doesn't exactly score points.

There's no question as to whether this needs to change, it has to if you want to debug the single biggest problem in the game mechanics.

Yeah, it's total bullshit. hat stamina should have gone to 0, no some fuckin 60. It's by far the most annoying detail of the game.

And it really makes it unfair for balanced guys.

I've been saying it post after post, this is bs, we need a system where after going for the same shit nonstop after 7-8 attempts it should be MUCH harder to pull a sub or get a takedown.

These very common game fights are EXTREMELY rare in real life.

And you want to know why the Diaz's cant win a descision ever? They do nothing but subs from bottom and it doesn't exactly score points.

There's no question as to whether this needs to change, it has to if you want to debug the single biggest problem in the game mechanics.

Mike knows about the stamina issue, it also applies to damage. It's on his list.

I think the sub attempt fix shouldn't be as much a cardio drain as a risky one. For instance if you try a sub attempt several times within the same number of moves, the success rate goes does with each one, and the person is more like to lose an advantageous position.