The Gerbiltropolis

MMATycoon

OK, so this is what I've been doing in my spare time over the last few weeks - I can't have proper big boy pets cos I'm allergic to them so I have a hamster called Dexter (named after Dexter Morgan).

Anyway, I decided that I wanted to make something cos I like chopping bits of wood, so I decided to make a moooohassive hamster cage. I bought a display cabinet off ebay and ripped it to bits and turned it into this :)

Original display cabinet with a 6.5 inch wheel in there for scale.

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs160.snc1/5980_128495526997_518506997_3501431_7959230_n.jpg

Cage just before I put the Dexter in there.

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs140.snc1/5980_128495551997_518506997_3501436_7522546_n.jpg

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs160.snc1/5980_128495561997_518506997_3501438_2287645_n.jpg

Anyway, now I've finished that I've got less stuff to do in my spare time so I'll probably do more programming too now, you'll all be pleased to know :D

Man that's a hamster paradise....now he just needs a lady to share his mansion with!

I bet all the hamster chicks want to get with Dexter! :thankyou:

But you just have to figure out how to get him a cool hamster car...maybe make a little tunnel where they can leave that pad and cruise around the living room or something?

I mean really, what other manhamster can compete with that?

I was going to get him a hamster car but he failed his theory test, so no dice... and I don't mean furry dice either :)

No lady hamster either - those effers either breed like crazy or kill eachother! :haddock:

He's having a kip now anyway after two hours on the go after we first put him in. No doubt dreaming about those elusive cars and lady hamsters.

p.s. as you can see my carpet sucks ass and so does the wallpaper - please everyone buy VIP so I can buy a new carpet and paint ;) Also, you can just see where the magic happens in the corner of the first pic - that's my desk.

I was going to get him a hamster car but he failed his theory test, so no dice... and I don't mean furry dice either :)

No lady hamster either - those effers either breed like crazy or kill eachother! :haddock:

He's having a kip now anyway after two hours on the go after we first put him in. No doubt dreaming about those elusive cars and lady hamsters.

p.s. as you can see my carpet sucks ass and so does the wallpaper - please everyone buy VIP so I can buy a new carpet and paint ;) Also, you can just see where the magic happens in the corner of the first pic - that's my desk.

The carpet doesnt look bad, it's not the sexiest color in the world but looks fine, no puke stains, piss stains or blood stains....so not to shabby at all.

I assume the hamster mansion was built right by where you working so if he rings his little hamster bell for his butler you can immediately jump to his service?

In addition (although it is a very nice place) I would recommend getting him an alarm system just in case some rouge mouse or a gang of mice try to break in and steal his little 1' plasma hamster tv and surround sound. You can also tie in a intercom system to his security system so if he ever needs you for anything throughout the night he can ring you in the bedroom.

I want something like that to live in. Can you build one for me? It doesn't have to be bigger. As long as it has a running wheel I'm fine.

Fastest hamster on the planet.

That's what's up. I wish I had something like that for my rats, they would FUCKING LOVE IT. What kind of Hamster do you have Tycoon?

Me and my fiance had gotten a few russian dwarf hamsters like 6 months ago, they got sick with wet-tail and the damn vet gave us way to strong medicine for the little fucks so they both died.

Right now we have 5 male rats, and 3 female rats. 1 female ferret, 3 female leopard geckos (getting 1 male here teusday), got a green iguana and a beta fish =P You should look into a ferret, the are the shit. Rats are pretty nuts-o too. Both, incredibly smart and extremely entertaining.

Curious, how much did this all cost you? I may have to make one for all my rats once i get the females spayed.

Just the one syrian hamster - he's in the last pic on the left. Cost wise it ended up costing a lot more than I wanted because I was inefficient :P I spent about $25 just a glue because I kept getting small tubes. The best bit was the actual unit - I got that for £5. I had to get a courier to bring it to my flat though which was £35 and then the most expensive bit was all the wood for the shelves.

I wouldn't recommend something like this for rats because there's not really a large running area, unless you can get one with a bigger section that does have more space to run.

My rats don't do shit but lay around and eat, buncha fatties. May be because they all got quilted crazy lookin' hammocks to kick-back in =P

Good stuff though, I may have to come up with something similar. Once I get the scratch, don't know when I'll have money, but i'm gunna try.

• 1 month later...
Nothing to report other than he's going bald and the vets don't know why :) He seems happy enough though... apart from when we put mite drops on him - then he's not so happy.

I have two hamsters as well, but I breed them to feed the babies to my bearded dragon. So they're not nearly as happy as your hamster. :suicide_anim:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...