Can it be done without Boxing?

It occurred to me the other day that I´ve seen top level fighters in this game with one of: average Muay Thai, average Wrestling or something like purple belt level BJJ. It seems a combination lacking in one of those skills works fine if the other 3 are at the right level and the tactics are sound.

However, I don´t think I have ever seen a real top fighter who went the ´average boxing´ route. Does anyone have any examples of this working and is it even possible? Could something like a Proficient/Elite/Sensational/Black become a top 10 fighter, or can that guy never have the required punching and striking defense to find success? I´m intrigued by this build because I never see it...

It occurred to me the other day that I´ve seen top level fighters in this game with one of: average Muay Thai, average Wrestling or something like purple belt level BJJ. It seems a combination lacking in one of those skills works fine if the other 3 are at the right level and the tactics are sound.

However, I don´t think I have ever seen a real top fighter who went the ´average boxing´ route. Does anyone have any examples of this working and is it even possible? Could something like a Proficient/Elite/Sensational/Black become a top 10 fighter, or can that guy never have the required punching and striking defense to find success? I´m intrigued by this build because I never see it...

Hell yeah they can. Look at Jealous Jarvae. He has Superb Boxing, Exceptional Muay Thai, Sensesational Wrestling and a Black Belt in BJJ. He can stand due to the fact that his Muay Thai is Exceptional (Muay Thai gives 70% of punching technique that Boxing does) and makes up for his lower boxing level. Just because his boxing is Superb doesn't mean he doesn't have Elite Punches and Striking Defense.

boxing is probably the only prime (maybe jits but to a lesser degree) that you dont need a really high level for. MT is far more important for the reasons the poster above me said. MT covers a lot of boxing (as far as skill). if you want to speak to an example, i have a guy on my roster (still a young fighter) who is competent/sensational/respectable/blue and has a 4-1 record against similar or slightly better boxers. boxing you dont need a high level for but it looks pretty when you do.

Hell yeah they can. Look at Jealous Jarvae. He has Superb Boxing, Exceptional Muay Thai, Sensesational Wrestling and a Black Belt in BJJ. He can stand due to the fact that his Muay Thai is Exceptional (Muay Thai gives 70% of punching technique that Boxing does) and makes up for his lower boxing level. Just because his boxing is Superb doesn't mean he doesn't have Elite Punches and Striking Defense.

Good call, I forgot all about that guy. Still quite rare to see though.

Good call, I forgot all about that guy. Still quite rare to see though.

boxing is probably the only prime (maybe jits but to a lesser degree) that you dont need a really high level for. MT is far more important for the reasons the poster above me said. MT covers a lot of boxing (as far as skill). if you want to speak to an example, i have a guy on my roster (still a young fighter) who is competent/sensational/respectable/blue and has a 4-1 record against similar or slightly better boxers. boxing you dont need a high level for but it looks pretty when you do.

Thanks for the info. I'll take this into account and experiment with my fighter's striking a bit more, some of them are a bit Boxing heavy.

I had the #1 bantamweight and #2 heavyweight and still have a handful of solid fighters.

and they both looked like

Wonderful Boxing, Sensational Muay Thai, Sensational Wrestling, Wonderful BJJ...

Punches were 8, Strike Defense was 14

That was an intentional decision by me to try to build different style fighters because when I first started everyone was Sprawl and Brawl, Elite Boxers types. I don't join games like this to try to mimic what everyone else is doing.

The problem you run into is you won't win in the striking game without high strike defense, so that is mandatory. Even if you build a wrestler, try stringing together a bunch of wins without getting counter KO'd when you miss a takedown or two if you don't have any strike D.

and punches are still the most effective weapon in the clinch, something I really didn't suspect. You can be superior in Clinchwork, Physicals, MT and Wrestling but an elite boxer, who knows his sliders can still take you in the clinch with his dirty boxing skills.

Lets not also forget boxing is the simplest primary. "punches" & "strike-D"... and that is F'ing it? So it kind of screws all the other styles that require 3 and 4 secondaries to be successful.

Because of that, even though I would like to find ways to win this game without just copying and pasting the exact same template being used by 90% of every other fighter in this game, I have had to put more emphasis on boxing and punches lately. So though I don't think you need to be "elite"... don't skimp too much on it either.

For those of you who are saying you don't "need Boxing"

Out of the top 10 Fighters in MMA Tycoon there is 1 that doesn't have Sensational or Elite Boxing.

That is 1 more than what is normal, it has been that way since the game started.

Your 1 fighter who you are using to somehow offset the 99.9% of other boxers who have been in the top 10 at one point, is also 33 years old.

His model for skill points doesn't even exist anymore.

ID# 23484

You could spar everyday, there were no tickers, conditioning and strength took like 20 sessions each (total) to get to elite. Good luck ever matching any of these guys in skill points. You can't build that model anymore.

• Downvote 2

• 2 weeks later...