Rampage Jackson vs. Glover Teixeira

Eveas

I had thought it would be Rampage vs Shogun, but it looks like Shogun declined.

http://www.mmafighting.com/ufc/2012/7/9/3147353/rampage-jackson-vs-glover-teixeira-set-for-ufc-153

Jul 9, 2012 - Quinton "Rampage" Jackson's UFC swan song will come in Brazil.

The former UFC light-heavyweight champion, who has repeatedly insisted that his next fight in the UFC will be his last, has agreed to face Glover Teixeira on Teixeira's home turf at UFC 153.

The pairing was first reported by Brazil's SporTV.com, the online arm of UFC's Brazilian broadcast partner, Globo.

Jackson (32-10) has had 11 fights in the octagon since his February 2007 debut, going 7-4 during that time. He's lost his last two fights, losing to divisional champ Jon Jones in a UFC 135 title bout and then dropping a decision to Ryan Bader at UFC 144.

He's grown increasingly frustrated with the UFC in recent months, however, and through his Twitter account, has said on multiple occasions said that he would finish out the terms of his existing deal and then move on. The Teixeira fight represents the last bout on his contract.

At least he goes out with a style matchup that is most definitely to his liking.

Jackson has repeatedly railed against alleged "point-fighters," saying he prefers matchups with other striking-savvy competitors. Teixeira (18-2) certainly fits that mold, with 11 of his 18 career wins by knockout. He does have a well-rounded overall game, as he won his UFC debut by arm triangle choke at UFC 146.

Afterward, Mauricio "Shogun" Rua reportedly turned down an opportunity to face him, and now it appears Jackson will take the open slot.

UFC 153 takes place from HSBC Arena in Rio de Janeiro. It is yet unknown whether Jackson-Teixeira will take main event honors, or if that will go to another bout.

Tough fight for Jackson. But he was really backed into a coner with this fight. I dont see him winning at all. HE asked for a striker and he got one. IF he thought it was a bad fight for him he really couldnt turn it down because White ratted Shogun for doing it. We knew Dana wasnt going to mke it easy for Jackson leave the UFC on a win and demand high dollar. I expect him to get a crappy fight i wasnt sure QJ would accept it being his last fight. But with his bitching about facign wrestlers and Shogun ducking. He had no choice. Rampage will have a rude awakening if he leaves the UFC.

He got a striker yes...but don't be surprised if Glover takes it to the mat. He also has one hell of a ground game--having performed pretty well on the ADCC circuit, Grapplers Quest, and Naga. Page has shown good takedown defense in the past, so not sure it will be easy should he take that route.

Perfect matchup for the UFC I think. They get to use a guy with big name recognition, on the last fight of his contract as a stepping stone for a big up and comer. A win probably puts him one or two fights out from a title shot.

Much like Brain, I agree he'll find the grass isn't greener on the other side, but then again Rampage has a lot of starpower in Japan. He might make a lot of money fighting bums and freak show matches in the Asian Market.

I think he ends up in Bellator. There is a chance he runs off a bunch of wins verses bum after bum. But if he isnt protected and Bellator actually brings in the best fighters they can. I think he will wish he was back in the UFC fighting big name 30+ year olds. He will have trouble with 20+ year olds who has has little fight tape of. Jackson already finds it inpossible to land big punches on older fighters. He isnt going to out work anyone and i think he will struggle and lose to unknown fighters.

One thing i never liked about Strikeforce was they never tried to build their own fighters. They piggybacked off fighters from the UFC or XC. If i was bellator i would find my prospects and try to use a QJ to establish them. If Qj washes out of the UFC he will never look credable again no matter how many wins he gets. But you find a prospect and he blows through a QJ you can make the arguement he is the best in he world. Cant do that with QJ. But most promotions always shoot themselves in the foot so we will see. But Bellator would be stupid not to invet in QJ. It would give them eyes on Spike TV next year and give their promotion a shot of credibility. Probabley an instant spot in the top 10 for the first guy to beat QJ. Not to mention the big money fight of him and King Mo who already have a history of talking trash to each other.

• Downvote 1

I think Glover murders him and as Brainsmasher said probably sends Rampage to Bellator or even WWE.

I hate being critical of fighters and love Rampage for putting on some of the best fights we've seen in the past but it's hard to keep supporting a guy who bitches and moans so much when the UFC has done so much for him. It always seems to be someone else to blame when it comes to Rampage's 'problems'.

Serious question, has a fighter evolved less than Rampage in say a 10 year career?

Glover Texeira (sp?) has looked like a killer in his debut fight and a few others I happened to see. He seems to me like a better version of Rampage with the added ground game as SwangSong mentioed. Unless Rampage can come out head hunting and catch Glover early on I think this will be a walk in the park and a great boost for Texiera's career.

Maybe I'm just being harsh but off the top of my head I can't remember the last time I was genuinely impressed with Rampage and thought he put on a great fight.

Agree 100%. Last fight i can think of was his last fight with Chuck but we all know what state Chucks chin was in. The UFC has done more for Rampage than any other fighter and all he has done is complain. I have seen his documentary and when you see his work ethic you see why he hasnt changed over the years. You also see why he will never out work someone in a fight. He cant land his right hand unless he is fighting slow 40 year olds. He should fight a few more fights in the UFC and retire as a Pro and a Legend. Instead he will peter his career out in the minor leagues. When you do that long enough you eventually get retired by no name guys. Just as Fedor did with Big Foot Silva.

Agree 100%. Last fight i can think of was his last fight with Chuck but we all know what state Chucks chin was in. The UFC has done more for Rampage than any other fighter and all he has done is complain. I have seen his documentary and when you see his work ethic you see why he hasnt changed over the years. You also see why he will never out work someone in a fight. He cant land his right hand unless he is fighting slow 40 year olds. He should fight a few more fights in the UFC and retire as a Pro and a Legend. Instead he will peter his career out in the minor leagues. When you do that long enough you eventually get retired by no name guys. Just as Fedor did with Big Foot Silva.

Yep, it's one of those situations when you want 'The Old Rampage' to show up when he fights when really it is 'The Old Rampage' turning up, a boxer with decent takedown defence who can slam you if you have zero wrestling which in modern MMA simply isn't enough skills to consistently win you fights at the top level.

If he does go to Bellator or Japan and they line him up with a few bums to rebuild him I'm sure he'll look just like the Rampage of old again, I just think the game has passed him by a little now and he wasn't prepared to work hard and change with the times, he only really has himself to blame yet he'd blame every guy on the planet before he did that.

Man I'm sounding like a cbomb, hate being this brutal about fighters but the guy just frustrates me.

You are starting to sound like me. :bigshock: :bigshock: :bigshock:

I am in the gambling business. I treat fighters like Gambling. There for my entertainment. Once you become to forgiving you are hooked because you take the fighter to serious and lose your objectivity. One of the reason i do so well in picking fights in the past is because i look for flaws even in my favorite fighters. Im calling Franklin a no chin jack of all trades bum with little athletic ability. Jorge Gurgel is to big of a midget to use his BJJ. Or would that be to small of a midget? These are guys i like but look for the flaws in fighters. Thats what i would do if i was fighting them. Look at the flaws and see if the opponent has the ability to take advantage.

A while back they rode in a car together since i believe both were sponsored by Cage Fighter. They started arguing a little back and forth but QJ having the gift of gab caused Mo who was basically a unproven prospect at the time to kind of clam up. I dont remember it getting heated though.

I had thought it would be Rampage vs Shogun, but it looks like Shogun declined.

I'm not 100% sure, but as far as I remember, Shogun did not declined a fight with Rampage. It seems Shogun accepted the fight, but then Rampage got injury. Then Thiago Silva was offered to Shogun and he agreed, but then Thiago Silva got injury too. So Glover Teixeira was offered to Shogun and he declined the fight, arguing Glover wasn't well ranked. I don't know if he was telling the truth about his reason to decline the fight but, if I'm not wrong, that was what he said. And then Brandon Vera was offered and Shogun agreed. At least, that's how I remember things happened.

Sounds about right. I dont remember the Shogun vs QJ fight being offered. I think i remember some talk about it and maybe QJ asking for the rematch in Japan but i dont remember anything also about it. Wish we would hav got Qj vs Shogun rather than that Turd Bader.

• 4 weeks later...

I think this Glover guy is a little overrated by everyone, who has the guy beaten in his career, his first fight in the UFC was Kyle Kinsbury??? Come on. ANd in Rampages last fight he fought with hurt knees that he shoudn`t hae fought on.. So Bader got lucky that rampgage wanted to fight so badly in japan that the guy would walk into the fight with injured knees. Page has some serious gutts to fight a Brazilian in Brazil on his last fight in the UFC all you huys must respect that.

Prediction: Rampage Wins via TKO. Glover doesn`t have enought expierance to get buy Rampage.

I think this Glover guy is a little overrated by everyone, who has the guy beaten in his career, his first fight in the UFC was Kyle Kinsbury??? Come on. ANd in Rampages last fight he fought with hurt knees that he shoudn`t hae fought on.. So Bader got lucky that rampgage wanted to fight so badly in japan that the guy would walk into the fight with injured knees. Page has some serious gutts to fight a Brazilian in Brazil on his last fight in the UFC all you huys must respect that.

Prediction: Rampage Wins via TKO. Glover doesn`t have enought expierance to get buy Rampage.

UFC has been trying to get Glover to UFC for years and they were almost successful a few years ago, but there were problems getting him signed. He has wins over a few guys that have fought in UFC (Ricco Rodriguez, Marvin Eastman, Sokoudjou, Marcio Cruz). He's not Hector Lombard and Rampage will always finds some excuse for a loss.

But what has Rampage done? Got beat by Forrest, one of the few who couldnt put away Jardine, Should have lost vs Machida, Lost to Bader, laid an egg vs Jones and Evans, couldnt put away Hamill. All he has done in the UFC was beat old guys with bad chins. His last impressive fight was his first fight with Chuck in 2003. Ever since he has pretty much struggled in every fight win or lose.

Glover can only fight who he gets to fight. Unlike Jackson he beat who he was supposed to be and did so in impressive fashion. You dont have to see Glover vs top comptiton to see he is more well rounded and technical than Rampage. He also is more aggressive and better cardio. Jackson could have a chin that can take everything Glover has. HE may be able to KO Glover. But that still doesnt effect Glover being a pretty big favorite in this fight and banking of those other things is like banking on a punchers chance. Every fighter has one. Rampage is dangerous. BUt outside of a lucky punch. I mean real lucky because who has he landed it on who wasnt punch drunk? Glover will stop QJ or win a decision. I think it will be a good fight while it lasts on the feet.

Glover will stop QJ or win a decision. I think it will be a good fight while it lasts on the feet.

Don't forget Glover has done very well in ADCC competitions.

Don't forget Glover has done very well in ADCC competitions.

Yeah but QJ has been hard to take down and Glover snt especially great at takedowns. BUt he wont need to take ti to the ground imo. BUt during a scramble that will come in handy.

Yea Glove might be more well rounded than Rampage, but he hasn't fought anyone with the power and TD defense as QJ.. I don't think Rampage would take a fight against a Younger more hyped fighter in his home country if he wasn't motivated and fully healthy.. Glover can win but I don't like his chances.

This is the last fight on QJ contract. All he cares about is money. IF he was so motivated and confident he wouldnt be crying in the media about getting matched up against wrestlers. Ironically enough he wasnt complaining when he was beating wrestlers like Chuck, Lindland, Arona, Eastman, and Randleman. Now that he cant hack it its a problem. Also there was really no way Rampae ould turn this fight down and save face. Dana already outed Shogun for being scared and turning down a fight with Glover. With Jackson leaving Dana would have really lethim have it. Plus with him asking for a non wrestler he would have looked bad. I wouldnt put any weight into QJ accepting the fight.

Hope Rampage wins ! Love him good fighter dont want to see him go out like that he just need to go and bang and kill that guy. And dont shave that fucking head he looks much better with little hair with that bald head he looks like a dick.