Who's next for Anderson Silva?

Just goes to show how full of shit the UFC is. If it was a real sport ( Dana the bullshitter ) would have told him who he was fighting, not letting him pick fights. What happened to the all champs fighting every 4 months ( 3 times a year ) That he used to say made the UFC so great and downtalking other orgs!!

Also, the fact he used to criticize boxing for more than 1 champ in a weight division. Now he has 2 BW champs and 2 WW champs!! The fact that nearly all upcoming or prev title matches recently have been rematches shows that there just isn't the talent level there though he may say it is. Now u get Jon Jones saying he looks up to Silva, just cos he is blatantly scared to fight him and vice versa. What happened to the Silva holding 2 belts in 2 divs (LHW AND MW), not long after beating Griffin. Changed his mind when Jones became champ!! He picks and chooses his fights. He'll never go down as the greatest after him getting crushed in PRIDE. Other sporting greats never got beat as bad as he did when he was supposedly in his peak years. Jones I think can be though, similar or may even surpass Fedor.

They're killing what used to make MMA so great which was constantly or more regularly stacked cards. Now u get MAYBE 1 fight on a card people r really interested in. UFC is too watered down now with events. And they think by hyping shit fights or unimportant fights it will change that!!

And, I do think Weidman should be given the next chance.

Stupid Sonnen with spinning back shit!!

You don`t know what your taking about, UFC only has ONE champ in each division the others are only INTERM champs, and none of them actually defend their belts. So too have 2 champs in a divison won`t they both be needing to defend their titles and not fight eachother?

And i don`t remember Anderson Silva saying he wants both titles, he only moved up to fight Forrest because they had no contenders for him at 185, and your saying Silva isn`t the greatest of all time???????? So what if he lost in Pride a couple of times, Anderson has grown as a fighter since and has proven by beating the top fighters at 185 and even destroyed Forrest who at the time was a top 205er, This Fedor Guy wasn`t to great as he lost to Bigfoot, Hendo, and Werdum in his early 30`s and i thought you said that was there prime years?? So what Silva is doing at 37 is amazing and yall should be glad to wittnesss the G.O.A.T

Just goes to show how full of shit the UFC is. If it was a real sport ( Dana the bullshitter ) would have told him who he was fighting, not letting him pick fights. What happened to the all champs fighting every 4 months ( 3 times a year ) That he used to say made the UFC so great and downtalking other orgs!!

Also, the fact he used to criticize boxing for more than 1 champ in a weight division. Now he has 2 BW champs and 2 WW champs!! The fact that nearly all upcoming or prev title matches recently have been rematches shows that there just isn't the talent level there though he may say it is. Now u get Jon Jones saying he looks up to Silva, just cos he is blatantly scared to fight him and vice versa. What happened to the Silva holding 2 belts in 2 divs (LHW AND MW), not long after beating Griffin. Changed his mind when Jones became champ!! He picks and chooses his fights. He'll never go down as the greatest after him getting crushed in PRIDE. Other sporting greats never got beat as bad as he did when he was supposedly in his peak years. Jones I think can be though, similar or may even surpass Fedor.

They're killing what used to make MMA so great which was constantly or more regularly stacked cards. Now u get MAYBE 1 fight on a card people r really interested in. UFC is too watered down now with events. And they think by hyping shit fights or unimportant fights it will change that!!

And, I do think Weidman should be given the next chance.

Stupid Sonnen with spinning back shit!!

I agree but its not the UFC fault. This is the biproduct of big money coming into the sport. I always told people be careful what they wished for when always siding with fighters when they demanded more and more money. Money kills fighters and the sport. I was just talking to a friend about this. Look how Shogun backed down from the Glover fight. You would never see that back in the day with a top level fighter. Sure guys might have been scared but they wouldnt be so obvious about duckign someone. Most guys where fighting to prove themselves. There was honor and people actually wanted to fight. Now it is a business. Shogun wasnt to shy to duck that fight. He wants to keep getting paid and losing a fight would increase his chance of getting released or a crappy contract. There is so much money invovled fighters fight as little as possible. There is never a sure thing in MMA fights. So when guys get to the top they want to roll those dice as few times as possible. This is why you see people hurt to much. Careless in training. If they get hurt, oh well i guess i cant lose my belt and ride this "current champ" train a little longer. Every time a fighter fights they risk losing everything if they are already at the top. So how can you encourage them to be careful in training and fight as much as possible? IFL tried to find a way around this and i think it could be worth looking into. But they screwed themselves with the team concept that was stupid. But they signed guys for X amount of fights per year. They got their guys fighting quite often. The UFC is in position to leverage fighters into these contracts that they wont be able to do if there is another equal option for fighters. Make a clause that 100% of their contracted pay is based on fullfilling X amount of fights per year. NFL does this with players. Part of a players pay is often performance based. Run for 1,000 yards you get this bonus. UFC could have that bonus based on 4 fights per year. But it is becoming a huge problem.

You don`t know what your taking about, UFC only has ONE champ in each division the others are only INTERM champs, and none of them actually defend their belts. So too have 2 champs in a divison won`t they both be needing to defend their titles and not fight eachother?

And i don`t remember Anderson Silva saying he wants both titles, he only moved up to fight Forrest because they had no contenders for him at 185, and your saying Silva isn`t the greatest of all time???????? So what if he lost in Pride a couple of times, Anderson has grown as a fighter since and has proven by beating the top fighters at 185 and even destroyed Forrest who at the time was a top 205er, This Fedor Guy wasn`t to great as he lost to Bigfoot, Hendo, and Werdum in his early 30`s and i thought you said that was there prime years?? So what Silva is doing at 37 is amazing and yall should be glad to wittnesss the G.O.A.T

Way to look like a dumbass noob! You come on here arguing with people like you know what your talking about and are some experienced MMA fan and you call the guy who was #1 in MMA rankings for almost a decade up until a year or two ago "This Fedor Guy".

Let me guess. You like Silva because you are from Brazil? He is the only fighter you have seen? The first fighter you have seen? Its got to be something. It sure as hell isnt because you analyze his fights and determained he is very good compared to the rest of the compeition. Your sheep like mentality is based on 100% man crush and not rooted in MMA at all. You have inspired me to pick a sport in the Olympics that i know nothing about and go to a dedicated forum for that sport and tell all the fans of the sport that are educated on that sport that I am right and they are all wrong and dont know what the hell they are talking about. Maybe i will choose diving and claim the guy who back flopped is the greatest ever because his splash was bigger!!!!!

Brain I have no motive other than pure curiosity, and if you've said it before I guess I missed it: Who do you think the number 1 p4p fighter right now is? Or if you're feeling generous your top 3. I'm not exactly a fan of Anderson but he's a pretty amazing talent. Just wondering who you're Piccs are as a basis of comparison.

Brain I have no motive other than pure curiosity, and if you've said it before I guess I missed it: Who do you think the number 1 p4p fighter right now is? Or if you're feeling generous your top 3. I'm not exactly a fan of Anderson but he's a pretty amazing talent. Just wondering who you're Piccs are as a basis of comparison.

To be honest im not a fan of P4P. Its a worthless ranking imo. Like Sonnen said people who argue over P4P are the same people who sit around for hours arguing who would win between Batman and Superman. But if i was pressed for a list i would have Silva, GSP, and Jones. Based off resume's. I think its possible GSP and Silva are not as good as they were a few years ago and expect each to go down very soon. But Miss Cleo cant be a large factor in any rankings so that doesnt matter. I used to have BJ Penn as the #1 guy for many years. He did something these others guys have not done. Thats take away a large amount of speculation. When you debate who is the best 205 you can use experience and what you know about the sport from skills to match ups to base your stance on. When you are mixing weight class' its impossible. But BJ Penn went out of the 155 division and hung with some of the best at many weight class'. It was only after his second loss to Frankie that i think he lost that position.

You might think i hate Silva or think he sucks. But thats not the case. Silva is very talented. But i dont like when fans are unreasonable. I have been watching MMA as hardcore as possible for almost 17 years. Watching almost every fight and chatting online almost every day of those years. Over that time i have seen a lot of "unbeatable" people get smashed. So when people start with there

"Silva is just too far ahead of every mma fighter and Weidman needs more time before silva fight."

i have to say WTF ever! I lived through that when Belfort busted on the scene and all the morons who jumped on the Machida bandwagon, GSP, Silva, Fedor, and now Jones. People are delusional and have no concept of he fight game. There are always gys who go on runs. Its not until they lose that you see what it takes to beat them. Thats why losses come in bunches in MMA. Machida wins 16 fights in a row then loses 3 of 4 fights. Silva can be out wrestled by many people. Many people have the ground game to not get submited. Chael landed many many clean punches on him that no one else has done. To look at all that and think he cant be beat or is head and shoulders above everyone else is crazy. 185 has always been weak. Just the nature of the division. Even still a guy like Weidman is a nightmare match up for Silva. Thats not to say Weidman is a better fight. Even if he would win head to head there are guys who would be tough for Weidman also.

Where is all the hype that Machida had? He is just as good a fighter as he ever was. He could very easily get to Jones chin and be champ again. But where is ll the unreasonable people who claimed he couldnt lose and would smash everyone? Machida could very well be the best fighter at 205. Some guys have his number but those guys have their bad fighters too. Point being some fans done really like the fighter they claim. They are in love with a myth. An idea that doesnt exist. Every hot start creates a perception of invinciblity that never existed.

Silva is a very good fighter and wether he can beat every one currently at 185 or not doesnt change that. There is someone out there who can beat anyone. Just because those fights havent happened yet doesnt mean they are not out there. Shogun and Machida come to the UFC in the same year. What if Shogun go Machida before he ran off 7-8 UFC wins in a row? Would that make him less of a fighter? Machida was lucky and didnt get a bad match up for a long time. Fedor lost to Werdum who was in Pride for years and they never met. Hendo was there too and even fought Nog. Fedor never got that bad match up. They were out there. Some are lucky and some benefit from favorable match making.

/rant

LOL end rant on possibly the farthest post frum wut I would call a rant that I've ever seen you make in the general mma forum. Good insight. And I agree about p4p but didn't really kno wut to ask to get the response I wuz looking for. Very Good point on BJ, I hadn't really thought about how many different weights he had competed at in a while. I have a bad tendency of rooting for head cases (Jens Pulver, Vitor Belfort, Daley, Mir, Tank etc.) So pick'ems and who da best debates are hard for me. I honestly can't stand Anderson Silva as a person, but as a striker he is too brilliant to deny. Beyond even talent or gifts its just amazing to me that guys who've been fighters of the highest caliber in sum instances for YEARS step into the cage with him and give him a Deity like respect. They're beat before they even get hit. Then when he duz land he reverts them to novice status. Too timid to shoot in, too afraid of consequences to throw more than a single strike at a time. Just delaying the inevitable. Chael had the right idea in pressuring him. Aside frum a lucky punch, its going to take sumone who understands wut Chael duz to beat him: You can't give him any room or time to unravel you. It's completely biased but I'd really like to see Vitor get another chance. I Duno if he's the best candidate, or if they're is even any MW that can compare right now, but that's not Anderson's fault.

I don't necessarily agree with you on how sum fans go apeshit and claim invincibility for their gavotte fighter, but I see your point. Even Superman got beat. As you pointed out, The best fighters in the world will lose eventually if they keep fighting. But to me that one punch that they didn't slip that resulted in the loss duznt take away the merit of a career of slipped punches. I wuz never a hardcore fan of Fedor. Love watching him fight, and I didnt think any less of him for getting subbed by Werdum. I don't think any less of Silva for getting staggered by Damian Maia... but it wuz kinda sketchy that he put his skates on after he got touched :P

I Duno if either were G.O.A.T's but there's not many guys who can even be mentioned in that light. And I do agree with the above poster who said we'd look bacc on our time watching Anderson and be thankful we got to see it. Guys like Silva and Penn are gona eventually be wut Ali and Marciano are now. Legends.

So another point I'm curious about... do you think of yourself as Striker Biased or Grappler Biased? Everyone has a favorite :)

Beyond even talent or gifts its just amazing to me that guys who've been fighters of the highest caliber in sum instances for YEARS step into the cage with him and give him a Deity like respect. They're beat before they even get hit

This is imo what happens when you fight someone on a streak. People dont know how to fight you. Machida was the same way. You could only guess what to go for and do you leave yourself open subseptable for a guess? Now people know there is things they can gun for on Machida imo shown by Shogun. Its worth the risk to go after his chin(Unless you are a flat footed wrestler like Bader lol). I think people were the same way with Silva and the Chael fights have in a way exposed him. People see something to gun for when before they didnt. Now you have Weidman wanting that shot with good reason and even Diaz thinks he sees something and is trying to get a piece. He wasnt no where to be found until Chael had a lot of success on the feet verses Silva in two different fights. Having a blue print on you doesnt mean you will lose but it points guys in the right direction and gives them a much better chance. They actually have a plan rather than the deer in the headlights look of going in there and just seeing what happens.

I don't necessarily agree with you on how sum fans go apeshit and claim invincibility for their gavotte fighter, but I see your point.

I wasnt talking so much about favorite fighters. It just seems there is a huge mass of fans that are not really fans of a guy but cling to him because of an impressive streak. Shogun sent a lot of these people packing from Machida's bandwagon. Not because he wasnt as good anymore but because his auraof invincibility was gone imo. His following isn the same as it was as champ. These same types will jump from GSP, Silva, Aldo, Jones, etc. Not all their fans but there is some that only appeal to the believe a guy cant be beat. I for the most part dont respect a guy who hasnt lost. Some of my favorites lose a lot but im not a fan based on their record. Being a fan involved being there for the ups and the downs.

So another point I'm curious about... do you think of yourself as Striker Biased or Grappler Biased? Everyone has a favorite

Hmm. Very good question. I like to think im unbiased even though im sure i am but not like some would expect. Like a all or nothing one side or the other. When i first watched the UFC i become a Tank fan for life. All my favorite fighters are in a way neutral styled fighters. Striking got me into the sport but the sport taught me to love and respect both sides. This is why i trained and love the ground game. Im not te biggest fan of pure BJJ bottom guys as im not a i fan of pure strikers. All my favorite fighters are wrestling based strikers. It kinds fits how i feel i am neutral. Tank Abbott, Baroni, Varner, Rampage, Pulver, Dan Henderson, Liddel, Hendricks, Ellenburger, and Story. With this style you can always be aggressive verses any style of fighter. Because they can choose where the fight goes and can fight well up or down. Any single style has to be passive at times. I like aggressive fighters. Im also a big fan of Mir because he uses an aggressive form of BJJ and wrestling. Im also fans of Jorge Gurgel and Dustin Hazelett because i have trained with them and under them. Also a big fan of Franklin. I would say my bias isnt striker grappler related. Its aggressive/passive related if that makes sense. I think the fighters i listed. Wrestler banger types imo is the ideal MMA fighter. They ussually are not to far to the extreme in any thing. Skill or body types. MMA at its most basic point is going after weakness. So in theory the ideal fighter would be not to tall and not to short. Able to wrestle, strike, grapple, etc. You can then go after any weakness and be in positions to adjust to every fighter. IMO thats what those type fighters can do. They have their weakness but that can always put up a fight and be a threat in any match up. If someone had a wrestling weakness a guy like Silva would never be able to exploit it. He is to the extreme of Striking and BJJ. That has always been my philosophy on fighting. But even that prefered style tends to run into physical disadvantages in fights and requires a smart fighter with a game plan to try and find a way to win in those cases. But thats why i prefer the fighters i do.

It's completely biased but I'd really like to see Vitor get another chance. I Duno if he's the best candidate, or if they're is even any MW that can compare right now, but that's not Anderson's fault.

I completely agree with Belfort. People tend to forget how that fight really was going down before the kick. Going into that fight and even now Belfort has the tools to beat Silva. He is on his level in all areas physically and a more complete style fighter(well rounded). But he is a head case and his lack of focus did him in again. But i think a rematch would have us all in for a treat. I dont know if he would pull it off. He is capable. But it would be exciting for as long as it lasted and it would be a fight.

I read your posts man... I knew wut I wuz getting into when I jumped in the pool ;)

I'm on my phone tho, so I won't have a chance to respond really till later. Your list of faves wuz pretty surprising tho. Had a lot of guys that are on my list. There wuz about a 3 to 1 ratio of guys who prefer stand up to ground... just saying :)

LOL i have seen them all go for takedowns! hahahaha. But i think all but a few use their wrestling when they need to. Pulver, Chuck, and Rampage not so much. Mostly because their isnt much they can do on the ground. The ret re pretty effect on top.

I completely agree with Belfort. People tend to forget how that fight really was going down before the kick. Going into that fight and even now Belfort has the tools to beat Silva. He is on his level in all areas physically and a more complete style fighter(well rounded). But he is a head case and his lack of focus did him in again. But i think a rematch would have us all in for a treat. I dont know if he would pull it off. He is capable. But it would be exciting for as long as it lasted and it would be a fight.

Belfort has a few advantages over Anderson, but Anderson also has advantages over Belfort.

Plus most of this has been true for most of Belforts fights, as you say he loses focus a lot and gives up when he's getting frustrated.

I Agree with you djohn

Also, forgot to say, my wee picture on the left-hand side brings Silva down to earth more than this invincible guy that people seem to have an impression of!! Where in the current UFC MW ranks are Lutter, Leben, Leites, Irvin when people try to criticize Fedor for people he fought as an example. Also, Silva submitted twice in pride (once in the picture to the left by Ryo Chonan ) and also Takase, so this stops me thinking Silva is this invincible guy. If Silva was this great invincible guy his next fight would already be set, however this can't be done, cos he likes to try pick who he fights. Now, he'd rather go down to 170 to maybe fight GSP instead of LHW to fight Jones which he fought at before. Be good if it happens and GSP makes a show of him.

UFC and Dana licking his ass has turned him into a cocky arrogant muppet. I think that's why it would be good to see him fight a real proven top guy like Jones Or GSP or maybe even Henderson 2 to bring him back down.

Also, forgot to say, my wee picture on the left-hand side brings Silva down to earth more than this invincible guy that people seem to have an impression of!! Where in the current UFC MW ranks are Lutter, Leben, Leites, Irvin when people try to criticize Fedor for people he fought as an example. Also, Silva submitted twice in pride (once in the picture to the left by Ryo Chonan ) and also Takase, so this stops me thinking Silva is this invincible guy. If Silva was this great invincible guy his next fight would already be set, however this can't be done, cos he likes to try pick who he fights. Now, he'd rather go down to 170 to maybe fight GSP instead of LHW to fight Jones which he fought at before. Be good if it happens and GSP makes a show of him.

UFC and Dana licking his ass has turned him into a cocky arrogant muppet. I think that's why it would be good to see him fight a real proven top guy like Jones Or GSP or maybe even Henderson 2 to bring him back down.

I agree with twhat you are saying. 185 has always been weak. I find it hypocritical for the MMA community to give Franklin the hell he got as Champ and to this day Franklin is the most credible fighter Silva has ever faced. Lots of guys Silva faced are no longer in the UFC or contenders. As much as i like Chael he has never been a consistant fighter and has never shown to have improved beyongd the fighter he was when he lost out of the UFC the first time. He has improved in some areas but not to the point i would say he would have not lost the fights he did back the in the day. For the most part he avoided those threats. This is the guy who pushed Silva the most. Lets not forget the roller coaster Vitor Belfort was for years and now "He's Back" lol. Anyway you slice it this division is very bad and is rehashing fighters of the past who magically look great again. Over the years the division has gotten old and there hasnt been an infusion of new generation fighters. We have lots of big names that are past thier peak holding court at the top of the division. Franklin, Wandy, Belfort, etc. All these 30+ year olds. Thats why i feel a guy like Weidman is going to go on a huge run. He is one of the few young fighters who will run through most of these olds guys like a buzzsaw. Its going to be a rude awakening when these olds guys have to finally fight a younger guy rather than each other.

That said you cant really hold it against Silva. You have to take a guys resume in the pond he swims in. No matter how small that pond is. You cant really play what ifs and Silva regardless of the reason will go down as one of the best even if it was due to a crap stagnant division. But i do expect it to bite him down the road when he is compared to future greats who were in deeper divisions.

I agree with twhat you are saying. 185 has always been weak. I find it hypocritical for the MMA community to give Franklin the hell he got as Champ and to this day Franklin is the most credible fighter Silva has ever faced. Lots of guys Silva faced are no longer in the UFC or contenders. As much as i like Chael he has never been a consistant fighter and has never shown to have improved beyongd the fighter he was when he lost out of the UFC the first time. He has improved in some areas but not to the point i would say he would have not lost the fights he did back the in the day. For the most part he avoided those threats. This is the guy who pushed Silva the most. Lets not forget the roller coaster Vitor Belfort was for years and now "He's Back" lol. Anyway you slice it this division is very bad and is rehashing fighters of the past who magically look great again. Over the years the division has gotten old and there hasnt been an infusion of new generation fighters. We have lots of big names that are past thier peak holding court at the top of the division. Franklin, Wandy, Belfort, etc. All these 30+ year olds. Thats why i feel a guy like Weidman is going to go on a huge run. He is one of the few young fighters who will run through most of these olds guys like a buzzsaw. Its going to be a rude awakening when these olds guys have to finally fight a younger guy rather than each other.

That said you cant really hold it against Silva. You have to take a guys resume in the pond he swims in. No matter how small that pond is. You cant really play what ifs and Silva regardless of the reason will go down as one of the best even if it was due to a crap stagnant division. But i do expect it to bite him down the road when he is compared to future greats who were in deeper divisions.

Agreed. I'd also say, that imo that Jones has proven himself more than Silva already in his short career with the wins he's had and what he's done these guys. Dana just won't call him the no.1 P4P guy just now, so he can try milk the Anderson Silva thing for as much as he can while he can, and also why Silva would be scared to face him.

Also, in the past while, Rogan has started to become the exact same as a Goldberg (UFC hyoe machine). It's like he can't go a sentence in the build up to the silva fight without saying "Anderson Silva is the p4p greatest!!". U know it's the UFC just saying "right say this a few times". And then hyping of meaningless fights. I think he's changed in the past year or 2 from an impartial mma fan to just saying whatever Dana would want him to say. I always thought the DREAM commentary and HDNet guys were the best commentators for MMA.

That Ryo Chonan fight was way back in 2004, if you think Silva hasn`t improved and become the greatest fighter of today your blind.. And Silva has fought the best Middleweights in the world Henderon, Nate Marquardt, Okami, Rich Franklin who at the time was 22-1 and one of the best in the world, Forrest Giffin, Maia, Sonnen,and Belfort.. Silva has also fought some bad competition but so has every fighter, So If Anderson wants to choice who he fights in the last year or two of his career let him..

By the way Silva would crush GSP and im a Canadian. :ca: :ca:

The best guy Anderson has beaten was Dan Henderson, although Rich is a close second. Dan's fighting for the LHW title now and ranked in most P4P top ten lists.

Is the MW division weak, or does Anderson make the division look weak because he's dominated it so thoroughly?

Not long ago everyone thought LHW was the deepest division in the UFC, now people think it's weak because Bones has dominated the division. If GSP was defending his title and had beaten Condit and another challenger, people would be screaming about the lack of depth at WW as well.

All it takes is for one beast of a fighter to create the illusion that a division is weak.

185 was considered weak even before Silva. 205 used to be stacked just like Pride used to have good fighters. People get old. Now Jones is running through old guys or people who beat old guys.

185 was considered weak even before Silva. 205 used to be stacked just like Pride used to have good fighters. People get old. Now Jones is running through old guys or people who beat old guys.

Agreed. I'd also say, that imo that Jones has proven himself more than Silva already in his short career with the wins he's had and what he's done these guys

OMFG this is the most retard thing i have ever seen on an mma forum , even brock lesnar has prooved more than jon jones.

I like how people say 185 is weak and 205 is good , BUT Silva had 2 fight in 205 and won both of them with ease, 185 division has world class athlethe that have actually prooved themself in others sports like maia in BJJ or sonnen in wrestling, 205 division has nothing but amateur.

Dan henderson get raped by Anderson silva and now will fight jon jones because 205lbs division is a Joke.

As a proof BJ Penn had no fear to fight machida who is in 205 right now and BJ is a 155 fighter, machida the guy that has the next title fight.