Life on Mars

MMATycoon

You claimed that a scientific theory was just a theory, when in fact, the definition of a scientific theory is absolutely not the same as the definition for the word theory. They are two entirely separate concepts with definitions that do not align with each other. The word theory being a part of the phrase "scientific theory" is rather misleading.

This is also false. Science absolutely can explain everything. The knowledge that we can express through science currently is greatly held back by human knowledge/culture. Just because humans cannot yet use science to explain something does not mean that it cannot be explained through science.

Even manipulations made by a god can be explained through science if the proper evidence was given. Science itself does not dispute a god, there is simply no evidence to suggest one exists at the moment.

1) I'm not agree at all, a science theory mean the same than what you see in a dictionnary at theory, it's the same thing that anyone having a theory. The only difference is the way they try to prove their theory when you read Ckellprun on the forums he has a lot of theories about anything but anything to back it up, obviously no one believe him. Scientific theory are like any theories some are more likely than others and not every scientis have the same opinions about theories. Of course some theory are "almost" proved but some don't. Even in mathemathics some persons do mistake and correct them 20-30 years after.

Science is like religion it change over time (just faster) .

2) Science can explain everything ? ok let's say you take doll and you ask it to measure the exact size of the moon through science how will the doll do it ? (By the way we're the doll creator).

3)And there is simply no evidence that there isn't.

I've watched a lot of stuff about mistranslations and the evolution of the bible story. Much of it is pinched from a previous prophet story about someone called Mythras I believe. The birthday, much of the story etc was changed to copy this guy's story.

That's an issue with religion no one can't even remember what it was at the beginning. Pretty hard to find texts from 2000 years ago.

I think it's would be much simpler to just believe in God. I also think it's important to not allow religious fundamentalists to put down science though, which is why I did what I did with those JWs... I think science is 1000x more fascinating and amazing than anything that religion has come up with.

Indeed, the "it's like that" argue it's pretty retarded.

Quantum Physics for example, is absolutely bonkers - I'd recommend watching a program that was on BBC4 called "Atom by Jim Al-Khalili". I just tried to find it on YouTube but it wasn't there unfortunately. You can find it as a torrent if you wanna risk that though.

gonna look it tomorrow.

As for evolution being a theory, technically it is a theory... but then that's only a technical scientific definition. Very little in life isn't a theory. Only when something can be unequivocally proved, like Trigonometry, is something classed as a theorem.

Thing is we know science do mistake through times. What i don't like with evolution theory is how a microbe with no brain can become an eye a noze... and stuff likethat via evolution it looks really odd.

I even prefer alien theory.

1) I'm not agree at all, a science theory mean the same than what you see in a dictionnary at theory, it's the same thing that anyone having a theory. The only difference is the way they try to prove their theory when you read Ckellprun on the forums he has a lot of theories about anything but anything to back it up, obviously no one believe him. Scientific theory are like any theories some are more likely than others and not every scientis have the same opinions about theories. Of course some theory are "almost" proved but some don't. Even in mathemathics some persons do mistake and correct them 20-30 years after.

Science is like religion it change over time (just faster) .

2) Science can explain everything ? ok let's say you take doll and you ask it to measure the exact size of the moon through science how will the doll do it ? (By the way we're the doll creator).

3)And there is simply no evidence that there isn't.

1) Nope, you're talking about a hypothesis. The theory of natural selection is WAY past being a hypothesis at this point.

2) This makes no sense. The biggest difference between science and religion in a scenario like this is that a scientist would aknowledge that he lacks the knowledge to determine anything beyond hypothesises at this point. That doesn't in any way shape or form validate saying that a wizard did it.

Thing is we know science do mistake through times. What i don't like with evolution theory is how a microbe with no brain can become an eye a noze... and stuff likethat via evolution it looks really odd.

Science adjusts its views according to the existing datas. You seriously have an eight-year-old's understanding of evolutionary biology, so I'm not wasting any more time on you.

Ther answer is over billions of generations. If you think about things in human lifespan terms it's impossible to comprehend. However, level organisms reproduce much faster. Let's say that x small organism when it reproduces it spurts out 1,000 offspring and it can reproduce once every 7 days. That's 52,000 offspring a year, all with the potential to have a genetic deformity that may be of benefit. Each of the offspring that survives also reproduces and the ones with beneficial deformities has a higher % chance of survival. That's how it works and at those lower levels it happens infinitely faster than it does when you work your way up to higher level organisms like humans. As for eyes, you start off with something rudimentary like what exists in jellyfish - a basic system where they can recognise light / horizons but not much else.

Have a watch of this - http://www.youtube.c...C26F03CE0589BB9

There's a thing about eyes in this.

If you google "the evolution of teeth", I think that's also a good starting point for one example of evolution that I think's quite easy to get your head around.

Regarding the alien theory, that's just pushing things back to another planet and doesn't solve any problem. If we came from another planet then we must have evolved on that other planet, or got created by a God on another planet so what difference does it make if it was there or here?

jacky67: If you are honestly interested in learning/debating the subject, I strongly suggest you research the differences between a theory and a scientific theory. If you aren't willing to step out of your comfort zone and learn then debating really is useless.

Well i know what's the difference is, it's like i said the way to argue and put rational arguements for the theory.

I'm still waiting your answers how a doll can use science to measure the length of the moon, maybe i should shit on a doll and wait billion of years the doll become organic ,

It still don't explain how a microbe with no sense and conscious can become an eye that can see and send the informations to the brain. And still don't explain how atoms and molecules put together can become something organic.

It still don't explain how a microbe with no sense and conscious can become an eye that can see and send the informations to the brain. And still don't explain how atoms and molecules put together can become something organic.

You don't just jump from single cells to an eye and I know you know that :)

You don't just jump from single cells to an eye and I know you know that :)

of course i'm saying it don't work.

still waiting how simple atoms can transform into something organics.

LOL @ the 12yo BS, the guy show an eye but it dont explain how the signal move to the brain. Glasses can be some eye without brain it's useless.

How the eye works in correlation to the brain isn't really relevant for what you asked for though.

Stuff groups together and makes more complex stuff. Easy :)

http://io9.com/55438...-self replicate

First they chemically synthesized a bacterial genome, then they used well-known nuclear transfer techniques (used in IVF) to transplant the genome into a bacteria.

The research team at JVCI have been working on this technology for approximately 15 years.

God Job.

PS/ There is plenty of stuff you can only synthesize and can't find it naturally.

I'm sure there is. What's your point?

The purpose of posting this was to prove unequivocally that nothing can turn into something of its own accord, without being pre-programmed to do it. I was actually searching for a story from earlier this year where they did it with a different method, I think, but I couldn't be bothered searching any more so just posted that one :P

... at least probably evidence that there used to be. Pretty cool :)

http://www.astrobio....toric-discovery

I don't get how you go from flowing water and perhaps organic molecules to there probably was life on mars. That seems like quite of a leap to me. Let's say that they found methane (really this time), how is this evidence that there used to be life on mars?

This is also false. Science absolutely can explain everything.

That's not true. It has to be testable, and sometimes that's not just limited by human technology. Sometimes it's just not testable.

I don't get how you go from flowing water and perhaps organic molecules to there probably was life on mars. That seems like quite of a leap to me. Let's say that they found methane (really this time), how is this evidence that there used to be life on mars?

I dunno what you're classifying as life but bacteria is life. If you have water flowing for millions of years, I personally think it's inevitable that there will be bacterial life.
  • Upvote 1

That's not true. It has to be testable, and sometimes that's not just limited by human technology. Sometimes it's just not testable.

I think he's saying that it may not be possible to prove things now but science as a concept can prove everything... You just need the right equipment / knowledge to prove it - some of which might not exist now but that's not a limitation of science, it's a limitation of our abilities.

I think he's saying that it may not be possible to prove things now but science as a concept can prove everything... You just need the right equipment / knowledge to prove it - some of which might not exist now but that's not a limitation of science, it's a limitation of our abilities.

I know what he meant, but it's not true. Science limits itself to natural phenomenon and therefor it can only explain things that are observable. Just like you can't divide by zero you can't test certain hypothesis. You can't ever explain the cause of the big bang. You can't do it now. You can't do it ever. Both time and space came into existence after the Big Bang, so whatever "caused" the big bang did not adhere to our natural laws.

I dunno what you're classifying as life but bacteria is life. If you have water flowing for millions of years, I personally think it's inevitable that there will be bacterial life.

Considering how little that we know about the origins of life and the conditions that created molecules as complex as single cellular organisms here on earth this seems to require quite a lot of faith. I don't think it's much better than the reason of some for their believe in the existence of God. We are more likely to find out, but their reasoning is similar.

You can't ever explain the cause of the big bang. You can't do it now. You can't do it ever. Both time and space came into existence after the Big Bang, so whatever "caused" the big bang did not adhere to our natural laws.

Time and space in this universe probably began at the time of this particular big bang. That doesn't mean science under the rules of this universe, or perhaps another one, can't explain what was going on in the big bang.