Need a clarification on skill caps

I have a pretty big question about the cap, so I'll start with the data (just assume the skill cap at 80% to make it simpler):

PRIMARIES

4 SKILLS

600 TOTAL POINTS

PHYSICALS

6 SKILLS

900 TOTAL POINTS

SECONDARIES

13 SKILLS

1950 TOTAL POINTS

GRAND TOTAL POSSIBLE POINTS: 3450

80% SKILL CAP: 2760 POINTS

Here is the big question: Is the cap just 2760 total points....or is it 80% on EACH: Primaries, Physicals and Secondaries?

This would be 80% on EACH one:

PRIMARIES: 480 CAP

PHYSICALS: 720 CAP

SECONDARIES: 1560 CAP

I had people in chat tell me it was just a flat 2760, put wherever you wish....no cap on each of the 3 individually. If that's true, it causes a problem:

As an example, let's take a striker. A lot of very effective strikers keep these 5 skills VERY low:

ELBOWS, KNESS, TAKEDOWNS, GnP, SUBS

If the cap is just a flat 2760, you could just keep these 5 really low, and pretty much be elite in EVERYTHING else....all 4 primaries, all 6 physical, and the 8 must-have secondaries for a striker.

If the cap isn't on EACH of the 3 sets of skills, we won't see much variety at all...just super-beasts that ignore skills they don't need. It would make it pretty similar to the pre-ticker days probably....I'm fine with it either way really.

• Upvote 1

I believe the cap is spread over everything, so you can choose to have 95% physicals with lower secondaries, or really high primaries with lower physicals etc.

Edit: I don't understand why this is a problem - the fighter in the example you gave would get mauled by a MT fighter with strong clinch and knees. Even going down the route of leaving 3 or 4 secondaries blank leaves any fighter with deficiencies.

• Downvote 1

Let me make an example fighter using 2760 skill points:

BOX - ELITE

MT - ELITE

WRE - ELITE

BJJ - ELITE

AGIL - ELITE

FLEX - ELITE

SPEED - ELITE

STR - ELITE

COND -ELITE

BAL - ELITE

PUNCH - ELITE

KICK - ELITE

ELBOW - FEEBLE

KNEES - FEEBLE

CLINCH - ELITE

SD - ELITE

GNP - MEDIOCRE

TAKEDOWN - MEDIOCRE

TD DEF - ELITE

SUBS - MEDIOCRE

DEF GRAP - ELITE

TRANSITION - ELITE

ESCAPE - ELITE

Hopefully this helps with the point I'm trying to make :)

Edit: I don't understand why this is a problem - the fighter in the example you gave would get mauled by a MT fighter with strong clinch and knees. Even going down the route of leaving 3 or 4 secondaries blank leaves any fighter with deficiencies.

If it worked like this, I would agree with you....but I have older guys with nothing in elbows and knees,...and historically MT guys have not been able to maul them, My guys do fine defending elbows and knees without them. Same thing with subs and GnP....my guys are fairly useless in those, and haven't been mauled by ground guys.

I had this very same notion myself not too long ago. Someone else posted some math on this and determined that it still isn't going to stop the Ubermen from existing. They will do as you suggested and simply ignore or put very few points into those skills and dump the rest into the what they need for their specific build... I have since come to see that the cap should have been set at a much lower percentage as many had suggested. 60-70% as opposed to the 76-80% or what ever it ended up being.

I think that an alternatie to the lower benchmark would be as you suggested and cap each of the skill categories at (Potential)%. Even though that would fuck every single one of my fighters except the newest ones... None of my guys are otherwise anywhere near the overall cap though. My highest guy is maybe 74%

• Downvote 1

i believe the best permafix would be factor a fighter's strength in a given skill his ablity to defend it. so if your knees/elbows are useless and your opponent's are remarkable, your guy's gonna get his ribs/face caved in once it moves into the clinch, regardless of how good his striking defence is. or submitted/GnP'd should it hit the mat, whichever you've neglected most.

• Downvote 1