some question about ground game

Laperuza

hi there.

all experienced guys can you share some knowledge about ground tactics sliders.

i want my gnp guy to be more successfull.

he has black belt in BJJ, elite transtitions, def grappling and gnp, elite wrestling and bjj primaries.

he has elite phisicals.

but during a fight some guys can successfully protect themselves on the bottom. they succesfullly change positions, close guards etc.

and once my guy was submitted by bottom guy who had brown belt and lower wrestling.

i have my finish slider more then control.

agressive more then counter.

strike and sub not much more then advance positions.

but he sometimes laying and controlling. no atacks. or he can't pass the guard. or he is not very accurate with his GNP strikes.

give me some advices please.

I think you should play a bit counter and not too aggressive so you're not too predictable.

However, from what youre saying I think it's fixed (well I know it is) but didn't realise it would be that fixed. Just try mixing it up on the ground and play a bit of countering that's all I can suggest :/

• Downvote 1

Oh right didn't know that, but still, nothing about ground game, intelligence plays a role in the whole fight game right? doesnt make them a better fighter all round just cos they have better intelligence bonus, the blackbelt would still win.

And the fact that youre saying your blackbelt will get subbed etc ^, that does not explain why his elite grappler wont go for submissions at all when on aggressive and the guy on bottom is controlling and/or subbing him

• Downvote 2

The guy beneath him subbing him makes sense if you're going over aggressive. Remember, brown belt and black belt might not even be that far apart. He might be a top class brown belt, in which case it's no different than say, an exceptional boxer knocking out a sensational boxer. Hardly unheard of, right? Add in the fact that if you're going over-aggressive, and he is utilising a counter strategy, he could very well pull off the sub. Or, as some have said, it could just be luck of the draw. That happens as well, it's all part of the game. Same goes for opponents guarding yourself from your GnP and transitioning on you. A counter strategy gives them a high chance of succeeding on transitioning on you if you keep missing, and over aggressiveness could lead to a lot of missed strikes in a close fight. However, I don't usually see a lot of missed GnP in match-ups with large disparities in wrestling ... so it could be that, again, as stated before, your fighter's hiddens are simply not suited for the ground game. There's a lot of different explanations really, you can take your pick. But at the end of the day, if something's not working, it's probably because it needs fixing.

• Upvote 1

Yeah a little ground advice would be handy. I signed a black belt FA and he lost his fight with me due to my incompetence at setting the ground sliders. Bottom position seems ok with setting for more of a counter setup but on top he sort of didn't really do much. I've cranked up top aggression for next fight but any other tips would be much appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...

actually if he is a dumb fighter do not put him on SHIG at all. u need to be 100% follow orders otherwise the dumb guy will make dumb decisions. my advice is u better drop him. like a lot of these guys are saying sometimes training and sliders will help you so much and its hiddens in the end that are what u need. hiddens first then train them properly then know how to set sliders but always remember: maybe the fighter is just bad.

I have found some of my fighters will do the opposite of what I tell the do to (follow my orders 100%...etc) or just aren't aggressive at all during the fight even if they are in a dominating position. If I find them, I drop them. I am guessing some fighters just aren't meant to be fighters and won't counter or be aggressive and just sit there for a decision even though the sliders aren't set up that way. It's just like real life.......everything changes once you get punched in the face!

True that.

My experience with the ground game is that if there is only 1 belt difference between the fighters, don't go more than 10-15% either side of centre for aggression, finish or strike/sub vs. advance position.

As has been said, if you go high finish then you're too enthusiastic and (obviously) not very controlled, which gives even crappy opponents some wiggle room. If your opponent is fairly close to you, a high aggression will give them a good chance to successfully counter an unsuccessful attack from you. And certain moves do not have a good likelihood of being successful from different stick positions, so if you're just going for a strike/sub and ignoring the need to advance to a better position, you'll not be successful and it improves the odds of that opponent eventually countering and escaping or doing damage to you.