Fight Orgs - Free Agent Policies

Steel

I have the Immortals New York Fight org.

An emerging pattern as orgs and rosters age, is managers sacking fighters.

As annoying as this is, I am finding the new managers release requests the hardest to stomach.

A manager represents the fighter in contract negotiations, the manager/agent accepts the contract on behalf of the fighter, and it is the fighter that is under contract, not the manager. That is how contracts work, period.

Unfortunately, an alarming number of managers seem to not have grasped this concept and think picking up a Free Agent under contract is no different to signing an unsigned fighter. The contracted fighter that is a Free Agent is simply looking for a new management company, NOT a new org, as is he under contract.

I would like feedback on how orgs can lay down there Free Agent Policies, so managers signing FA's under contract WILL have already read an Orgs FA policy, and if they haven't that's there loss.

So, in the case of the usual ' hey dude, just signed ******** , can you release man, so he can fight in my org, thanks.'

We can reply: 'Please read our FA policy on our org home page and on the forum, note however it is strongly recommended you ALWAYS read an orgs FA policy before signing a FA under contract. The Contract is between the fighter and the organization, a change of management company in no way voids this contract.'

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I like this idea. When I was running Ascension I'd get tons of these requests and honestly didn't have a clear cut policy for myself, much less a written one for managers to see BEFORE they signed a free agent I had signed.

I agree with paying the full signing bonus the fighter receive or example: He received a 4 fight contract with 40k signing bonus. He already fought twice so he "earned" half of the signing bonus. Then you should pay 20k for those 2 fights he would not fulfill.

On the other hand, paying 4x the original signing bonus does not sound fair at all. You should pay the whole signing bonus if that's the biggest obstacle to release a fighter.

• Upvote 1

With Ascension ATM of anybody asks to be released then they can go. I ll release them why keep fighters if they don't want to be there.

Obviously there are different circumstances if you sign with a big bonus fee and ask to be released not all orgs have huge anounts of money so getting that back is very wise and fair. It's goin to back to the if you sign a contract honour it

• Upvote 2

I agree with paying the full signing bonus the fighter receive or example: He received a 4 fight contract with 40k signing bonus. He already fought twice so he "earned" half of the signing bonus. Then you should pay 20k for those 2 fights he would not fulfill.

On the other hand, paying 4x the original signing bonus does not sound fair at all. You should pay the whole signing bonus if that's the biggest obstacle to release a fighter.

I like the idea of paying back for the fights not completed. I think 4X is not fair, but if they pay you back for uncompleted fights that is more fair. IMO

Personally I think Steel is thinking about this solely from an org owners perspective which is completely unfair. But I can see how it would be very annoying and upsetting if it's happens all the time.

From an org owners side-the org owner is losing a fighter, losing money they gave in SB, and losing if they over payed on their contract in general, and losing possible hype the fighter may have gained while in the org. Not to mention their time.

From an player who picks up the FA agent- they are looking to pick up a fighter that can help them improve their roster, getting to have a new fighter that would take them a long time to build on their own, and just get some experience fighting a more skilled fighter in most cases, and in many cases they may feel they are not up to the level of competition of the org the fighter is in now. And personally I don't they should be forced to fight fights they have no chance to win.

Personally I can see how this is awful for an org owner, but trying to punish some poor unsuspecting player who happened to pick up a free agent is not at all fair. Because I think vets usually only pick up the older fighter for the money and strip him and release him or for a sparring partner, they generally wouldn't bother to pick up a fighter another vet already released early if it wasn't for monetary purposes or sparring partner purposes, so it's generally the newer players who would pick up the fighter that would have to deal with this situation.

I can see this making new players dislike the org owner, maybe making them more likely to quit the game, and maybe causing more trouble for the org owner that the org owner feels they deserves. I think the new manager should have to pay back the signing bonus to the org owner even if the fighter was striped of all his money if he wishes to have his new fighter fight elsewhere though. But the org owner really needs to take the problem up with the person who signed a contract then just decides to release the fighter after signing a contract that they did not fulfill.

Fighters are nothing but pieces of data really, so they are not their own people like in real life, so this is where Steel went all wrong imo. But trying to deal with someone who has released their fighter, and may not have any intention of fighting in your org anymore is a situation in which the org owner can't really win.

So my idea would be to only give little signing bonuses to fighters who managers who you think may not stay, and be more careful about what fights you give them. Maybe if someone you don't feel you can trust at all, give no SB at all. Hell if you have a strong feeling that you can't trust them at all maybe you shouldn't sign them in the first place? But in the end it's all part of the risk and trouble of having an org. High risk, high reward.

I dont for one minute think 4x is fair, but it will make managers think about signing a contracted FA, and certainly not be under some mindless assumption he can just get the fighter released.

The game involves data and rules constructed to try and model sports management in RL. The game involves contracts, a fundamental part of the game. Therefore a contract should be honoured by the fighter, or the new agent enters in negotiations to try and get that fighter released.

Looking at the forum, there are a lot of educated guys playing this game, who will have a basic or better understanding of contracts and contract law. Everyone on here who works in RL will have signed contracts with stakeholders if they are business owners, or the company they work for will be under contract to an abundance of suppliers, and have signed contracts with their customers.

These contracts have SLA's, KPI's, caviats, and terms. Its how the world works, if this isnt in place, companies wouldnt borrow to invest, banks wouldnt lend .....

The point is the game is a simulator, it includes contracts, so as a simulator managers should respect contracts.

The Sports management company can sack the fighter, the fighter is still under contract. In RL you wouldnt let a prize asset leave and go to a competitor without a fight, doesnt happen, contracts protect companies against this.

So playing hard ball in Tycoon is merely respecting the simulator.

I agree that if a contracted fighter has had all his money laundered and the manager is new to the game then , as a simulator we can assume the fighter has been defrauded by his previous management and thus there are grounds for financial assistance.

Personally, its not about the money, its the principle of respecting contracts within the game and more so retaining a strong roster for the remaining loyal managers. If existing managers see the roster weakening then it damages the org. What is the point of weakening the roster of an established org, an active org with a loyal base?. I feel I owe it to the existing managers to retain fighters, expecially as it is so difficult these days attracting talent with the number of orgs recruiting and all offering great deals.

As for the points Scottie makes above : the new managers should sign a fighter NOT under contract, there are hundreds, the manager can launder, fight cans, learn sliders in an org of his or her choice, or take part in the QFC. These managers dont need to get involved with a contracted fighter. As for strengthening their roster, my point above, its a simulator, not good business practice, why would anyone let that happen?

If this thread can serve as a deterrant to managers who ignore, or are ingnorant to, the concept of contracts, from signing contracted FA's then not only does this ; A: provide opportunity for a manager who wants to fight in your org, to do so , and B: prevents the erosion of contracts in Tycoon.

• Downvote 1