shaman's thoughts

shaman

i'm sure it's not in the spirit of the thread (ie whinging about results), but as a new player (less than a week), there are a few frustrations to overcome in order to not quit... of course if anyone knows solutions to these that I'm not aware of, I'd love to hear them :)

- the interface seems to be organised by types of information rather than how it would be used. so it's really difficult to become accustomed to what you need to know and how to use it together.

for example, on the fighter's individual page, there are fight sliders, which are used maybe every few weeks when you have a fight, but your training schedule, which you would review maybe every week, is under the gym link.

as another example, on the gym page, the sparring schedule isn't shown at all (again, extra link) and your training schedule is at the bottom (which i missed in my first gym because there were so many trainers - yes, I've since moved to a smaller/cheaper gym with that fighter).

as another example, on the your fighters page, there's no information about their current energy or maybe their training/fight schedule for the next 72 hours.

- the vagaries of "realistic" time changes for each city. I thought it would enrich my experience to try different places in the game, but it's pretty annoying. I wish the walkthrough had said something about putting all your resources in one city for now just to simplify. thankfully, I picked gyms and fight organisations in the right cities for each one!

- nothing happens. no don't get me wrong here, I play lots of sports management games online, and I've played through "projects" that take 2-3 real life years to see play out. but there are generally time compressions so that each day or two there's something worth logging in for and checking out. I'm feeling like I could set up training and not come back for a month (or even several months for a project fighter). I understand fighters age four times a year (?), so why can't their training and fight frequency also be compressed?

or perhaps, alternately, what am I missing that will enrich my experience and make it worth coming back each day?

- the sliders. how confusing is that interface?! so even though, according to the wiki and several guides I've read here, there are sliders that you nominally want set in a range of 80-100, they go 0-100 and are set at a default of 50... and although there are categories on the slider page, the wiki shows the "tree" structure - so why couldn't that be on the slider page? or even, how about the tree at the bottom with the resulting percentages based on your slider settings? there has to be some kind of summaries that could make it easier for newbies to pick up the effects of the sliders

- the fighters. i like the idea of hidden attributes, but I don't like the idea of trawling through pages of fight recaps to figure out what the heck they are. what about a scouting function that could give you some summary stats from the wall of text... is there a browser plugin maybe for this?

don't get me wrong, I don't want to come across as a whinger - i'm having fun so far and the people I've interacted with have been really good, and the community on the forums seems to be really strong and helpful. I just thought the topic title was perhaps appropriate for dumping my thoughts as a new user.

cheers

- the sliders. how confusing is that interface?! so even though, according to the wiki and several guides I've read here, there are sliders that you nominally want set in a range of 80-100, they go 0-100 and are set at a default of 50... and although there are categories on the slider page, the wiki shows the "tree" structure - so why couldn't that be on the slider page? or even, how about the tree at the bottom with the resulting percentages based on your slider settings? there has to be some kind of summaries that could make it easier for newbies to pick up the effects of the sliders

Showing the % of each thing happening is something I will be adding when I have the time.

Regarding energy of your fighters, if you meant on the gym, hover your mouse over their name.

- the fighters. i like the idea of hidden attributes, but I don't like the idea of trawling through pages of fight recaps to figure out what the heck they are. what about a scouting function that could give you some summary stats from the wall of text... is there a browser plugin maybe for this?

I like having to figure it out. It's one of the enjoyments I get from the game. It's the reason I come back each day.

ah, thanks to whoever made this its own thread.... I think.. I wasn't looking for that kind of attention, but I see I wrote a wall of text - the irony of having complained about that in the fight logs! :)

@mmatycoon I appreciate it's a game in development, so I look forward to seeing what's coming down the track

I split the thread because I didn't want to derail the other thread.

Regarding the site structure, I agree it could be better. Unfortunately I just don't have the time to do a total redesign as it would be an enormous job. It's just me and one programmer I hire working on the game so I prefer to improve the game itself where possible. Long term though, at some point I will have to do a redesign to keep the site looking fresh.

• Upvote 1

I split the thread because I didn't want to derail the other thread.

Regarding the site structure, I agree it could be better. Unfortunately I just don't have the time to do a total redesign as it would be an enormous job. It's just me and one programmer I hire working on the game so I prefer to improve the game itself where possible. Long term though, at some point I will have to do a redesign to keep the site looking fresh.

I'm fine with the site's structure. I got used to it and I think that it dosen't need to be changed. But if we're talking about small changes make who +1/-1 visible!!!

Bragi~