Reasonable weight gain

Skap

How much weight gain would be reasonable for a fighter. I am looking through some orgs and see better/closer competition for one of my guys but the weights seem to be roughly 10 lbs heavier than his current weight (provided I stay on the heavier side of the division). Is 10 lbs too much to expect for a fighter? The height would work at this weight gain from what I see.

• 2 weeks later...

Weight does not affect strength..as long as the height isnt too awkward for the new weight, weight gain or loss wouldnt have much effect..I remember reading somewhere that thin tall guys are more prone to submissions and heavier short guys will be slower..

Weight does not affect strength..as long as the height isnt too awkward for the new weight, weight gain or loss wouldnt have much effect..I remember reading somewhere that thin tall guys are more prone to submissions and heavier short guys will be slower..

Not sure how true this is, look at how many heavyweight fights end in KO's compared to the other divisions. Sure 5-10 pounds might not make a difference. But in large amounts of weight I think it definately does

First things first - if he is too tall for his weight class, he will be easier to KO. Thou he should be better grappler - long limbs helps to set up chokes and stuff. But also would be easier to submit, because there is more to grab and brake.

Next, more weight cut he does before the fight (for example 205pounder cut to 205 from 220 Vs 205pounder who walks at 205) will be slightly weaker too. Weight cut doesnt affect it that much, but can make a difference. I try to keep my guys between 5-10lbs over the weightclass limit, so they don't have to cut much weight.

Third - HWs - Heavyweights are dropping like crazy because they are in 80% build to drop people with their strikes. When you have 2 guys with 20KOs in 20 wins, fight most likely won't go to decision. It's not about weight, its more the fact that at HW you need to knock your opponent out before he does it to you. Weight there doesn't affect it that much

Third - HWs - Heavyweights are dropping like crazy because they are in 80% build to drop people with their strikes. When you have 2 guys with 20KOs in 20 wins, fight most likely won't go to decision. It's not about weight, its more the fact that at HW you need to knock your opponent out before he does it to you. Weight there doesn't affect it that much

So it is more like meta game?

If I understand what has been said correctly, the weight doesn't really matter, only the BMI does.

Can anyone confirm this?

My understanding is more weight = more power, less speed and vise versa, that's pretty much it.

However you do also need to consider height for weight class, too tall and you can get taken down easier and subbed easier. But you have a huge advantage against a smaller striker because of the reach. I think there may also be an advantage in the clinch for the taller guy. Its all about the correct balance for the type of fighter you want to build

I think the original post was more related to the health risks of putting on too much or losing too much, this doesn't really exist unless you have to cut a lot of weight for each fight.

I had this guy fighting at 155 for a long time then decided he would be best closer to 205, he climbed the weights and you could argue has performed better than ever. I also have a 249 guy fighting at heavy weight, the perceived lack of power v speed works out as he has natural KO power.

• Upvote 1

Might light weight fighter bulked up to middleweight and now always wins by ko.

How did you get your lightweight fighter to move up a division? do you use weight gainer supplement?

I think when he said "bulked up" he was referring to the fact that he more than likely used weight gain supps to get up in weight

that's what I figured as well. I know that strength doesn't affect the weights in anyway. Thanks