Fight for Decision - Does it actually work?

ArtieBanks

16 members have voted

1. 1. Does it work?

• Yes
    • No

In chat we were discussing how Bennett rallied back from the thumping he was taking by Otto. If you have not read the fight, its quite fun to read so take a gander and read it PBP. I was gonna bring this up as a TWW news thing but decided it deserved a thread of its own as it does require a bit of community feedback on it.

Otto Jokinen is fighting for a decision - hopefully he's judged it right and he's actually winning the fight.

Bennet connects with a combination that backs up Jokinen into the cage. Bennet lands a flurry of punches that gets past Jokinen's guard. Jokinen is down and the referee has seen enough. It is all over! Bennet bursts into tears - this win obviously means a huge amount to him

Now this is not the first time it has happened to poor old Opa.

Kalle Reinikainen is fighting for a decision here - he's started to take the cautious approach.

Tonal postures up and lands a whopping elbow - oh that's hurt Reinikainen bigstyle! Two more strikes land for Tonal and the fight is over!

Does Fight for a decision actually take away your fighters will to fight? These are not the only two examples they are a few more of fighters who use fight for a decision who crumble in the closing minutes. Do you think this is the case or have a different opinion on it? Discuss.

I've always found FFD and STF to not do anything personally. But I'm sure there are examples people could find of their fighters winning after seeing that during a fight. I agree that it shouldn't make them not be able to get hit and/or finished but it should probably decrease the chances of it happening.

Hmmm, this happened to me about a week ago too.

Hector Cabrera is fighting for a decision here - he's started to take the cautious approach.
Power is pawing at Cabrera, trying to feel the distance before throwing out a cross that crashes into Cabrera's nose. Cabrera is badly hurt! Power pounces, throwing wild strikes as both fighters end up on the ground! Cabrera tries desperately to hold on but Power is relentless in his assault! As Cabrera receives an ever increasing number of unanswered strikes the referee pulls Power away and this one is in the books!

I only had 6% on fight for decision but as soon as it kicked in Hector got immediately knocked out. Too bad it was in a 5th round in a fight I thought to be 3 rounds.

I can't remember which fights or fighters, but I do remember specifically getting my ass handed to me in a couple fights when my guy would go on cruise control (I stopped giving him any FFD time after a couple losses.) Conversly, I had one guy Royce Silva, who was great at getting that come from behind finish when losing in the 5th round. I could be way off, but I think a hidden or hiddens plays a big part in how fighters finish fights. (SFTF and FFD)

I think it works. The results are kind of in a vacuum, we dont know what would have happened had the fighter stuck to the gameplan your sliders set out for them. The Scotty/Otto fight, Otto was having his way with striking so I think had he stuck to the gameplan he would have continued to set the pace and Bennet wouldnt have been able to get off that combo. That's just a guess though, it's impossible to know for sure.

One thing to realize is at the end of a fight when fighters have low to 0 energy, hiddens are amplified. Fighters with heart and chin are probably more successful when they use FFD. Fighters with KO power, heart and confidence are much more likely to score a SFTF KO. Heart has really become my favorite hidden, its the hidden most likely to save your ass.

• Upvote 1

http://mmatycoon.com/fightcommentary.php?FTID=458217

http://mmatycoon.com/fightcommentary.php?FTID=444037

Danny Power was dominating both of those fights until FFD kicked in and then he got knocked out late. He actually started his run when I turned FFD off.

Maybe intelligence on Bennett's part?

Either way I just don't bother using it. I think CK said it best when we discussed this, if you're winning the fight then why change your strategy, might as well just keep doing what you doing. Fighting for finish if you are behind seems to make sense to me but I just avoid FFD on pretty much all my fighters anymore